Multics is security spelled sideways.

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: Backups in iTunes

SubjectAuthor
* Backups in iTunesEd Cryer
`* Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
 +* Re: Backups in iTunesEd Cryer
 |`- Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
 +* Re: Backups in iTunescandycanearter07
 |`* Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
 | `* Re: Backups in iTunescandycanearter07
 |  `- Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
 `* Re: Backups in iTunesZaidy036
  +* Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
  |`* Re: Backups in iTunesZaidy036
  | `* Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
  |  `* Re: Backups in iTunescandycanearter07
  |   `- Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
  `* Re: Backups in iTunesEd Cryer
   `* Re: Backups in iTunesJolly Roger
    `- Re: Backups in iTunescandycanearter07

1
Backups in iTunes

<uggavt$e2rp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3078&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3078

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Backups in iTunes
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 10:20:53 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:20 UTC

I use iTunes to backup my iPad to my Windows computer.
I recently found this; {user name} Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/
It is almost 10GB in size, a hidden folder, and holds backups right back
to 2013.

I can't find a setting in iTunes to limit the number of backups saved.
I assume, however, that I can delete a few of them.

Ed

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp2ln4Fa7htU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3079&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3079

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Backups in iTunes
Date: 15 Oct 2023 17:27:01 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:27 UTC

On 2023-10-15, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
> I use iTunes to backup my iPad to my Windows computer. I recently
> found this; {user name} Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/ It is almost
> 10GB in size, a hidden folder, and holds backups right back to 2013.
>
> I can't find a setting in iTunes to limit the number of backups saved.
> I assume, however, that I can delete a few of them.

All of the backups are stored at:

AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders has
a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number) for the
device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different models of iPhone
or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders there.

You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it to
the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes, and
clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the UDID.
You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.

You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think you
may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should first
make a backup of it for safe keeping.

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ughb89$l0ah$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3080&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3080

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 19:32:09 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:32 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-10-15, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>> I use iTunes to backup my iPad to my Windows computer. I recently
>> found this; {user name} Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/ It is almost
>> 10GB in size, a hidden folder, and holds backups right back to 2013.
>>
>> I can't find a setting in iTunes to limit the number of backups saved.
>> I assume, however, that I can delete a few of them.
>
> All of the backups are stored at:
>
> AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
>
> Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders has
> a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number) for the
> device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different models of iPhone
> or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders there.
>
> You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it to
> the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes, and
> clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the UDID.
> You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.
>
> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think you
> may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should first
> make a backup of it for safe keeping.

Thanks Roger.

Ed

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ughg1k$mak1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3081&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3081

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 14:54:28 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 19:54 UTC

On 10/15/23 12:27, Jolly Roger wrote:
> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think you
> may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should first
> make a backup of it for safe keeping.

~~Funny that you're making a backup of a backup~~
Probably should .zip it

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp32vmFcqkaU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3082&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3082

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 15 Oct 2023 21:13:26 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 21:13 UTC

On 2023-10-15, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-10-15, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>>> I use iTunes to backup my iPad to my Windows computer. I recently
>>> found this; {user name} Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/ It is almost
>>> 10GB in size, a hidden folder, and holds backups right back to 2013.
>>>
>>> I can't find a setting in iTunes to limit the number of backups saved.
>>> I assume, however, that I can delete a few of them.
>>
>> All of the backups are stored at:
>>
>> AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
>>
>> Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders has
>> a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number) for the
>> device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different models of iPhone
>> or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders there.
>>
>> You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it to
>> the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes, and
>> clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the UDID.
>> You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.
>>
>> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think you
>> may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should first
>> make a backup of it for safe keeping.
>
> Thanks Roger.

Welcome!

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp347nFcqkaU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3083&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3083

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 15 Oct 2023 21:34:47 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 21:34 UTC

On 2023-10-15, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 10/15/23 12:27, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>
>> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think
>> you may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should
>> first make a backup of it for safe keeping.
>
> ~~Funny that you're making a backup of a backup~~

Probably more accurate to call it an archive. And in macOS, you can
click the "Manage Backups" button in the same display (in the Finder) to
view a list of backups, where you can right-click one in the list to
"Archive" it so that fuure backups of that device won't overwrite it.

> Probably should .zip it

Just don't expect much compression. I just tested it with one of my
backups:

Uncompressed: 39.83 GB
Compressed: 37.93 GB

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ughmg9$mak2$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3084&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3084

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 16:44:41 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 21:44 UTC

On 10/15/23 16:34, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Just don't expect much compression. I just tested it with one of my
> backups:
>
> Uncompressed: 39.83 GB
> Compressed: 37.93 GB

Ouch, zip compression varies so much sometimes.
Maybe you could try .gz compression?

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp3emkFels0U4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3085&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3085

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 16 Oct 2023 00:33:24 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 00:33 UTC

On 2023-10-15, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 10/15/23 16:34, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> Just don't expect much compression. I just tested it with one of my
>> backups:
>>
>> Uncompressed: 39.83 GB
>> Compressed: 37.93 GB
>
> Ouch, zip compression varies so much sometimes.
> Maybe you could try .gz compression?

Not worth it. Most of the backup data is already compressed.

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ugi2g3$ptv9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3086&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3086

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 21:09:23 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 01:09 UTC

On 10/15/2023 1:27 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-10-15, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>> I use iTunes to backup my iPad to my Windows computer. I recently
>> found this; {user name} Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/ It is almost
>> 10GB in size, a hidden folder, and holds backups right back to 2013.
>>
>> I can't find a setting in iTunes to limit the number of backups saved.
>> I assume, however, that I can delete a few of them.
>
> All of the backups are stored at:
>
> AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
>
> Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders has
> a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number) for the
> device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different models of iPhone
> or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders there.
>
> You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it to
> the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes, and
> clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the UDID.
> You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.
>
> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think you
> may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should first
> make a backup of it for safe keeping.

My iPhone and iPad backups using iTunes on Win 10 Pro are in
%USERPROFILE%\Apple\MobileSync\Backup

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp3n5mFg8saU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3087&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3087

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 16 Oct 2023 02:57:58 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 02:57 UTC

On 2023-10-16, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote:
> On 10/15/2023 1:27 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-10-15, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>>> I use iTunes to backup my iPad to my Windows computer. I recently
>>> found this; {user name} Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/ It is almost
>>> 10GB in size, a hidden folder, and holds backups right back to 2013.
>>>
>>> I can't find a setting in iTunes to limit the number of backups
>>> saved. I assume, however, that I can delete a few of them.
>>
>> All of the backups are stored at:
>>
>> AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
>>
>> Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders
>> has a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number)
>> for the device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different
>> models of iPhone or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders
>> there.
>>
>> You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it
>> to the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes,
>> and clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the
>> UDID. You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.
>>
>> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think
>> you may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should
>> first make a backup of it for safe keeping.
>>
> My iPhone and iPad backups using iTunes on Win 10 Pro are in
> %USERPROFILE%\Apple\MobileSync\Backup

Interesting. Older version of iTunes, perhaps? Or is there some user
policy in effect that directs things there instead?

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ugjii6$1ffde$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3088&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3088

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 10:49:42 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:49 UTC

On 10/15/2023 10:57 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-10-16, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote:

>>> All of the backups are stored at:
>>>
>>> AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
>>>
>>> Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders
>>> has a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number)
>>> for the device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different
>>> models of iPhone or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders
>>> there.
>>>
>>> You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it
>>> to the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes,
>>> and clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the
>>> UDID. You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.
>>>
>>> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think
>>> you may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should
>>> first make a backup of it for safe keeping.
>>>
>> My iPhone and iPad backups using iTunes on Win 10 Pro are in
>> %USERPROFILE%\Apple\MobileSync\Backup
>
> Interesting. Older version of iTunes, perhaps? Or is there some user
> policy in effect that directs things there instead?

used as supplied by Apple without changes currently 12.12.10.1

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp55j1Foes4U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3089&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3089

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 16 Oct 2023 16:10:09 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:10 UTC

On 2023-10-16, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote:
> On 10/15/2023 10:57 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> My iPhone and iPad backups using iTunes on Win 10 Pro are in
>>> %USERPROFILE%\Apple\MobileSync\Backup
>>
>> Interesting. Older version of iTunes, perhaps? Or is there some user
>> policy in effect that directs things there instead?
>>
> used as supplied by Apple without changes currently 12.12.10.1

I really don't care enough about Windows to research why some things get
stored in %USERPROFILE% rather than %APPDATA%. Suffice it to say you can
find your backups (and other interesting things) in either one,
depending on how your particular system behaves. 🙂

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ugjufq$1j950$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3090&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3090

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:12:50 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:12 UTC

Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 10/15/2023 1:27 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-10-15, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>>> I use iTunes to backup my iPad to my Windows computer.  I recently
>>> found this; {user name} Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/ It is almost
>>> 10GB in size, a hidden folder, and holds backups right back to 2013.
>>>
>>> I can't find a setting in iTunes to limit the number of backups saved.
>>> I assume, however, that I can delete a few of them.
>>
>> All of the backups are stored at:
>>
>> AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
>>
>> Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders has
>> a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number) for the
>> device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different models of iPhone
>> or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders there.
>>
>> You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it to
>> the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes, and
>> clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the UDID.
>> You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.
>>
>> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think you
>> may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should first
>> make a backup of it for safe keeping.
>>
> My iPhone and iPad backups using iTunes on Win 10 Pro are in
> %USERPROFILE%\Apple\MobileSync\Backup

Under %USERPROFILE%\Music (Win10 Home, same computer as my AppData
files) I have a folder "iTunes", 10GB in size.
It contains things like "iTunes Media", "Previous iTunes Libraries",
"iTunes Library Extras", "iTunes Library Genius". Dates run from 2016 to
2023 (yesterday).
Ed

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ugjvlv$1jqpc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3091&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3091

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:15:52 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:15 UTC

On 10/16/23 11:10, Jolly Roger wrote:
> I really don't care enough about Windows to research why some things get
> stored in %USERPROFILE% rather than %APPDATA%. Suffice it to say you can
> find your backups (and other interesting things) in either one,
> depending on how your particular system behaves. 🙂

Cause some publishers don't know/care about what's "supposed" to go in
certain system folders. I mean, quite a few resort to creating a folder
in your home directory instead.

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp5hn0Fqj96U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3092&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3092

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 16 Oct 2023 19:37:04 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:37 UTC

On 2023-10-16, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 10/16/23 11:10, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> I really don't care enough about Windows to research why some things get
>> stored in %USERPROFILE% rather than %APPDATA%. Suffice it to say you can
>> find your backups (and other interesting things) in either one,
>> depending on how your particular system behaves. 🙂
>
> Cause some publishers don't know/care about what's "supposed" to go in
> certain system folders. I mean, quite a few resort to creating a folder
> in your home directory instead.

That might be an explanation, except that iTunes does indeed store
backups in both locations on different systems. And that's why I
postulated there was some system or user profile at play causing the
difference in storage locations.

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<kp5hqmFqj96U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3093&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3093

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 16 Oct 2023 19:39:02 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:39 UTC

On 2023-10-16, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
> Zaidy036 wrote:

>>> All of the backups are stored at:
>>>
>>> AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
>>>
>>> Inside that folder are the individual backups. Each of those folders has
>>> a name that is the UDID (Universal Device IDentification number) for the
>>> device. If you've backed up multiple devices (different models of iPhone
>>> or iPads), there will be multiple backup folders there.
>>>
>>> You can figure out the UDID of your current device by connecting it to
>>> the computer, viewing the summary page for the device in iTunes, and
>>> clicking the "Serial Number" displayed there which reveals the UDID.
>>> You'll find a matching backup folder with that name.
>>>
>>> You can safely delete any backup folders you want. But if you think you
>>> may ever want to restore from one that you've delete, you should first
>>> make a backup of it for safe keeping.
>>>
>> My iPhone and iPad backups using iTunes on Win 10 Pro are in
>> %USERPROFILE%\Apple\MobileSync\Backup
>
> Under %USERPROFILE%\Music (Win10 Home, same computer as my AppData
> files) I have a folder "iTunes", 10GB in size.
> It contains things like "iTunes Media", "Previous iTunes Libraries",
> "iTunes Library Extras", "iTunes Library Genius". Dates run from 2016 to
> 2023 (yesterday).

But no MobileSync\Backup, which I'm betting is in %APPDATA% instead on
your system.

JR

Re: Backups in iTunes

<ugk996$1jqpc$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3094&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3094

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:17:26 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:17 UTC

On 10/16/23 14:39, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-10-16, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>> Under %USERPROFILE%\Music (Win10 Home, same computer as my AppData
>> files) I have a folder "iTunes", 10GB in size.
>> It contains things like "iTunes Media", "Previous iTunes Libraries",
>> "iTunes Library Extras", "iTunes Library Genius". Dates run from 2016 to
>> 2023 (yesterday).
>
> But no MobileSync\Backup, which I'm betting is in %APPDATA% instead on
> your system.

You could make a symlink in %USERPROFILE% to it so they're all "in the
same folder".