From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Do you use a WebDAV server on Android?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:44:12 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:44 UTC

Today I was copying files back and forth between Android and Windows and I
wanted to save directly to Android so I needed to set up a WebDAV server in
order to mount the Android phone as a drive letter.

No big deal, right?

Well, I first chose this ad-supported webdav server and it worked fine.
WebDAV Server by *The Olive Tree*
Free, ad supported, requires GSF, Rated 3.5, 100K+ Installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>

But I prefer ad-free apps, so I next tried _this_ webdav server & it failed.
WebDAV Server - *BestDAV*, by ZQ Software
Free, ad free, GSF free, Rated 3.4, 5K+ Installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zq.webdav.app_free>

To be clear, the second webdav server worked for the most part but I
couldn't for the life of me get it to allow read and write to the entire
visible Android filesystem.

By way of stark contrast, the first webdav server gave me read access to the
_entire_ Android file system (yes, even the system hierarchies) and write
access to the typical writeable areas of the Android file system.

I think it's all in the settings though, particularly of the permissions.
I even had to change a few things on Windows but it _still_ didn't work.

If you use a WebDAV server on Android to mount the entire Android phone as a
drive letter on Windows, which WebDAV server do you use?

I want to add it to a tutorial on making the Android phone seamless with
Windows but I don't want to recommend apps that have ads and which require
GSF if I don't have to.

So I need to ask you what your settings are.

Re: Do you use a WebDAV server on Android?

<t3ohtu$1bv9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30854&group=comp.mobile.android#30854

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Do you use a WebDAV server on Android?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:57:49 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:57 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> By way of stark contrast, the first webdav server gave me read access to the
> _entire_ Android file system (yes, even the system hierarchies) and write
> access to the typical writeable areas of the Android file system.
>
> I think it's all in the settings though, particularly of the permissions.
> I even had to change a few things on Windows but it _still_ didn't work.

BTW, the _power_ of the WebDAV server is it gave me, while I was on Windows,
far more access to Android than the Android phone does in and of itself.

From Windows, I could see _everything_ in the Android file system starting
from "/" which is really interesting as it's very Linux like (not
surprisingly).

As for the Windows tweaks that I tried, before I forge them, they were:
[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters]
[BasicAuthLevel = 2 (hex)]
Where originally the BasicAuthLevel was set to a 1 (hex).

The second Windows tweak I tried was to change the WebClient service
Win+R > services.msc > WebClient > Startup type: Automatic
(Previously it was set to "Manual")

The third Windows tweak I tried
Win+R > control > View by: Category > Network and Internet
Network and Sharing Center > View Network Status and Tasks
Change Advanced Sharing Settings >
Private: Turn on network discovery
Private: Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices

The fourth Windows tweak I tried was to turn off the Windows Defender.
But even so, the Olive Tree WebDAV server worked while the other would not.

The Windows command to mount Android as a drive letter onto Windows was:
C:\> net use X: \\192.168.0.2:8080\DavWWWRoot\ /USER:user passwd

Re: Do you use a WebDAV server on Android?

<t3tbou$mu5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30934&group=comp.mobile.android#30934

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 05:43:24 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 04:43 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> The Windows command to mount Android as a drive letter onto Windows was:
> C:\> net use X: \\192.168.0.2:8080\DavWWWRoot\ /USER:user passwd

UPDATE:

What I love about WebDAV is how _powerful_ the WebDAV server is for mounting
the _entire_ non-rooted Android phone as a direct drive letter onto Windows.
WebDAV Server by *The Olive Tree*
Free, ad supported, requires GSF, Rated 3.5, 100K+ Installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>

WebDAV Server - *BestDAV*, by ZQ Software
Free, ad free, GSF free, Rated 3.4, 5K+ Installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zq.webdav.app_free>

Basically files on Windows are directly accessible to Android as a drag and
drop while files on Android are _directly_ accessible to Windows as a drive.
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjkVFyqJ/scrcpy07.jpg> Android mounted as a Win drive
To give others an idea of the _power_ of WebDAV (vs FTP, HTTP, SMB, MPT,
etc.) servers for mounting _non-root_ Android on Windows, notice that the
scrcpy command allows a drag and drop of APKs stored on Windows to Android.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

Given the FOSS Google Play Store saves all APKs ever installed (simply by
checking the box to _not delete_ them after they're installed on Android...
<https://i.postimg.cc/V6tyDpNd/aurora17.jpg> Don't delete APKs postinstall

The purpose of this thread is to attempt to find someone who knows more than
I do about setting up these WebDAV servers so that I can learn from them.
--
On Usenet you can often find people who know more than you do about any
given topic, although they have to also be purposefully helpful souls.

Re: Do you use a WebDAV server on Android?

<t45vrk$r82$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31164&group=comp.mobile.android#31164

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:15:17 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:15 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> The purpose of this thread is to attempt to find someone who knows more than
> I do about setting up these WebDAV servers so that I can learn from them.

Today I used WebDAV to save an APK _directly_ from Windows to Android.
<https://i.postimg.cc/9FJMKYch/scrcpy21.jpg> Windows Drive: === Android

Had I wanted to, I could have downloaded to Windows and then I could have
dragged-and-dropped that APK from Windows over to Android without WebDAV.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

But the problem I'm having with each of the two WebDAV servers is different:
a. With the "Olive Tree" WebDAV server on Android, I can mount "almost"
the entire Android file system (including the read-only root filesys!);
but I haven't yet figured out the syntax to mount the external sdcard.

b. With the "BestDAV" WebDAV server on Android, I can mount all three
file systems (root, sdcard, external sdcard) but I haven't yet figured
out the setting to make the sdcard & external sdcard read _and_ write.

For those reasons, I wanted to find someone else who already uses the WebDAV
servers on Android to mount Android file systems read/write onto Windows as
a Windows drive letter.