From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Gmail icons
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:47:10 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:47 UTC

Can I add/chamge an icon to an IMAP account on the Gmail android app?
Currently I have an icon for the @gmail.com account, but as I am in dark
mode both my IMAP icons a are identical and black.
--
Jim S

Re: Gmail icons

<t3rv6f$e0a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30912&group=comp.mobile.android#30912

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Gmail icons
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:02:37 -0600
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:02 UTC

Jim S wrote:

> Can I add/chamge an icon to an IMAP account on the Gmail android app?
> Currently I have an icon for the @gmail.com account, but as I am in dark
> mode both my IMAP icons a are identical and black.

If I assume your icon is a homescreen icon (or in a folder on the
homescreen), or in one of the pages of the homescreen (and not an icon which
is inside of some application such as inside of the GMail app itself), then,
as long as your "launcher" allows it, of course you can change the icon to
anything.

Just longpress on the icon and up pops a GUI that allows you to change it.

My launcher, nova free, for example, certainly allows changing of _any_
icon, both the icon itself and the name of the icon, and, in fact, I wrote
up tutorials on how to make your own custom icons which are posted to this
newsgroup <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>.

You can change all icons, even of original pre-installed non-deleteable
system apps, without being rooted.

Since most people don't want to create their own custom icons, rest assured
there are tons of B&W & color icon packs out there available for free use:
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=icon%20pack&c=apps>

Furthermore, if the specific "Activity" inside your GMail app is declared
public, then you can also create your own icon to that Activity which is
inside the GMail app (an "Activity" is just a specific page inside any given
app).

Again, there are tutorials for doing that which I previously posted here so
that others would be able to do whatever they wanted to do with Activities.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted people daily gather to voluntarily help others.

Re: Gmail icons

<1atu35lai1sih.1bursowxyn0tf.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30928&group=comp.mobile.android#30928

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:00:33 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:00 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:02:37 -0600, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>
>> Can I add/chamge an icon to an IMAP account on the Gmail android app?
>> Currently I have an icon for the @gmail.com account, but as I am in dark
>> mode both my IMAP icons a are identical and black.
>
> If I assume your icon is a homescreen icon (or in a folder on the
> homescreen), or in one of the pages of the homescreen (and not an icon which
> is inside of some application such as inside of the GMail app itself), then,
> as long as your "launcher" allows it, of course you can change the icon to
> anything.
>
> Just longpress on the icon and up pops a GUI that allows you to change it.
>
> My launcher, nova free, for example, certainly allows changing of _any_
> icon, both the icon itself and the name of the icon, and, in fact, I wrote
> up tutorials on how to make your own custom icons which are posted to this
> newsgroup <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>.
>
> You can change all icons, even of original pre-installed non-deleteable
> system apps, without being rooted.
>
> Since most people don't want to create their own custom icons, rest assured
> there are tons of B&W & color icon packs out there available for free use:
> <https://play.google.com/store/search?q=icon%20pack&c=apps>
>
> Furthermore, if the specific "Activity" inside your GMail app is declared
> public, then you can also create your own icon to that Activity which is
> inside the GMail app (an "Activity" is just a specific page inside any given
> app).
>
> Again, there are tutorials for doing that which I previously posted here so
> that others would be able to do whatever they wanted to do with Activities.
> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

Perhaps I don't mean icon, but it's the only term that sems to suit. In
Gmail on android the current account is shown as a little circle on the top
toolbar. When Gmail is chosen, my face appears, when an IMAP account is
chosen, thn only a coloured circle appears and in dark mose both are
black.dark-grey. Its those black circles that I want to change into
something recognisable.Pressing on the icon has no edffect :(
--
Jim S

Re: Gmail icons

<t3srou$7ef$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30929&group=comp.mobile.android#30929

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:10:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:10 UTC

Jim S wrote:

> Perhaps I don't mean icon, but it's the only term that sems to suit. In
> Gmail on android the current account is shown as a little circle on the top
> toolbar. When Gmail is chosen, my face appears, when an IMAP account is
> chosen, thn only a coloured circle appears and in dark mose both are
> black.dark-grey. Its those black circles that I want to change into
> something recognisable.Pressing on the icon has no edffect :(

Thank you for trying to clarify as the term "icon" is ambiguous, which is
why I said my answer assumed one use of icon while it discussed the
possibility of others.

It would be a hellova lot easier if you screenshotted what you're speaking
about, which is something I do all the time so I don't have the patience to
use words when a picture helps tremendously to clarify what you're talking
about.

If I assume you're speaking about an icon inside a GMail "Activity" page
(where an "Activity" is a page inside of an app's display), I suspect
everything you want to do is possible - but you have to do it the way the
GMail app wants you to do it.

Since I don't ever use the Android GMail app (for privacy reasons as it
uploads your contacts whether you tell it to NOT do it or not), I can't help
you; but I'm sure the scores or hundreds of others who lurk on c.m.a can.

PS: I skimmed these but didn't see explicitly what you seek wrt the icon.
<https://help.exacthosting.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003157768-Set-up-IMAP-account-using-Gmail-App-on-Android>
<https://chemicloud.com/kb/article/how-to-easily-add-an-imap-email-account-to-gmail-on-android/>
etc.
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted people daily gather to voluntarily help others.

Re: Gmail icons

<1r5rkgx0df51p$.7zil2yx63ad0$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30957&group=comp.mobile.android#30957

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:28:55 +0100
 by: Jim S - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:28 UTC
Attachments: Screenshot_20220422-101515_Gmail.jpg (image/jpeg), Screenshot_20220422-102526_Gmail.jpg (image/jpeg)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:10:20 +0100, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I don't mean icon, but it's the only term that sems to suit. In
>> Gmail on android the current account is shown as a little circle on the top
>> toolbar. When Gmail is chosen, my face appears, when an IMAP account is
>> chosen, thn only a coloured circle appears and in dark mose both are
>> black.dark-grey. Its those black circles that I want to change into
>> something recognisable.Pressing on the icon has no edffect :(
>
> Thank you for trying to clarify as the term "icon" is ambiguous, which is
> why I said my answer assumed one use of icon while it discussed the
> possibility of others.
>
> It would be a hellova lot easier if you screenshotted what you're speaking
> about, which is something I do all the time so I don't have the patience to
> use words when a picture helps tremendously to clarify what you're talking
> about.
>
> If I assume you're speaking about an icon inside a GMail "Activity" page
> (where an "Activity" is a page inside of an app's display), I suspect
> everything you want to do is possible - but you have to do it the way the
> GMail app wants you to do it.
>
> Since I don't ever use the Android GMail app (for privacy reasons as it
> uploads your contacts whether you tell it to NOT do it or not), I can't help
> you; but I'm sure the scores or hundreds of others who lurk on c.m.a can.
>
> PS: I skimmed these but didn't see explicitly what you seek wrt the icon.
> <https://help.exacthosting.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003157768-Set-up-IMAP-account-using-Gmail-App-on-Android>
> <https://chemicloud.com/kb/article/how-to-easily-add-an-imap-email-account-to-gmail-on-android/>
> etc.

Screenshots: All accounts and one of the two IMAP accounts, but the grey
blob shows no indication of which one.

--
Jim S

Attachments: Screenshot_20220422-101515_Gmail.jpg , Screenshot_20220422-102526_Gmail.jpg
Re: Gmail icons

<971czksv4eic$.1krixebbfkhzb$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31062&group=comp.mobile.android#31062

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:44:49 +0100
 by: Jim S - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:44 UTC

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:10:20 +0100, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I don't mean icon, but it's the only term that sems to suit. In
>> Gmail on android the current account is shown as a little circle on the top
>> toolbar. When Gmail is chosen, my face appears, when an IMAP account is
>> chosen, thn only a coloured circle appears and in dark mose both are
>> black.dark-grey. Its those black circles that I want to change into
>> something recognisable.Pressing on the icon has no edffect :(
>
> Thank you for trying to clarify as the term "icon" is ambiguous, which is
> why I said my answer assumed one use of icon while it discussed the
> possibility of others.
>
> It would be a hellova lot easier if you screenshotted what you're speaking
> about, which is something I do all the time so I don't have the patience to
> use words when a picture helps tremendously to clarify what you're talking
> about.
>
> If I assume you're speaking about an icon inside a GMail "Activity" page
> (where an "Activity" is a page inside of an app's display), I suspect
> everything you want to do is possible - but you have to do it the way the
> GMail app wants you to do it.
>
> Since I don't ever use the Android GMail app (for privacy reasons as it
> uploads your contacts whether you tell it to NOT do it or not), I can't help
> you; but I'm sure the scores or hundreds of others who lurk on c.m.a can.
>
> PS: I skimmed these but didn't see explicitly what you seek wrt the icon.
> <https://help.exacthosting.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003157768-Set-up-IMAP-account-using-Gmail-App-on-Android>
> <https://chemicloud.com/kb/article/how-to-easily-add-an-imap-email-account-to-gmail-on-android/>
> etc.

Thanks Andy.
Further investigation seems to pin it down to my Samsung A40 as the
p[roblem does appear on my Nexus tablet. It is recent so it may be from
another app and finding that could be a problem of its own.
--
Jim S