Presidency: The greased pig in the field game of American politics. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Some messages download without their bodies.

SubjectAuthor
* Some messages download without their bodies.Ken Blake
+* Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Geoff
|`* Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Ken Blake
| `* Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Ken Blake
|  +* Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Geoff
|  |`- Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Ken Blake
|  `- Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Ken Blake
`* Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Ralph Fox
 `* Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Ken Blake
  `- Re: Some messages download without their bodies.Ken Blake

1
Some messages download without their bodies.

<mpb9ugto4ej3o1ueq9ru4291vjd9peuok1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3091&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3091

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Some messages download without their bodies.
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:51:10 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 23:51 UTC

I'm using Agent 6.0

Most messages download fine, but some download with a circle with a
slash through it in "Status."

Some messages with a circle with a slash through it download with
their bodies, but some don't.

Can someone explain this?

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<03q9ug5ns66puaipsr05v77vi3qdghk8s4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3092&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3092

From: geo...@invalid.invalid (Geoff)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Some messages download without their bodies.
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:58:59 -0800
 by: Geoff - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 03:58 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:51:10 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>I'm using Agent 6.0
>
>Most messages download fine, but some download with a circle with a
>slash through it in "Status."
>
>Some messages with a circle with a slash through it download with
>their bodies, but some don't.
>
>Can someone explain this?

The circle slash means you have a kill filter established that matches
that article or thread. Use Tools | Usenet Filters to inspect your
filter list. What Agent will do with a filter match depends on what
the filter is set to do. Ignore, Mark read or Delete.

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<bm2bugtofot2b7hm60gduo84fueej8oom7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3093&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3093

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:27:43 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:27 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:58:59 -0800, Geoff <geoff@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:51:10 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm using Agent 6.0
>>
>>Most messages download fine, but some download with a circle with a
>>slash through it in "Status."
>>
>>Some messages with a circle with a slash through it download with
>>their bodies, but some don't.
>>
>>Can someone explain this?
>
>The circle slash means you have a kill filter established that matches
>that article or thread. Use Tools | Usenet Filters to inspect your
>filter list. What Agent will do with a filter match depends on what
>the filter is set to do. Ignore, Mark read or Delete.

Thanks very much. I'll check the next time I see one.

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<h13bugpvcfc8dkgpoqjjadd7gijm1dhtci@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3094&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3094

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:38:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:38 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:27:43 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:58:59 -0800, Geoff <geoff@invalid.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:51:10 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'm using Agent 6.0
>>>
>>>Most messages download fine, but some download with a circle with a
>>>slash through it in "Status."
>>>
>>>Some messages with a circle with a slash through it download with
>>>their bodies, but some don't.
>>>
>>>Can someone explain this?
>>
>>The circle slash means you have a kill filter established that matches
>>that article or thread. Use Tools | Usenet Filters to inspect your
>>filter list. What Agent will do with a filter match depends on what
>>the filter is set to do. Ignore, Mark read or Delete.
>

>Thanks very much. I'll check the next time I see one.

I just checked in the newsgroup where I most often see these.

Most of my filters are on author, although a few are on subject. Since
other message with the same subject do not have the circle slash, a
filter problem has to be with author.

There were three authors with the circle slash, but I found only one
of them in the filter list. I deleted it. I'll see what the results
are and report back later.

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<sn5bugtrdu5o9icmco30hgjfuso4i9eov8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3096&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3096

From: geo...@invalid.invalid (Geoff)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:25:03 -0800
 by: Geoff - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:25 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:38:12 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:27:43 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>

>I just checked in the newsgroup where I most often see these.
>
>Most of my filters are on author, although a few are on subject. Since
>other message with the same subject do not have the circle slash, a
>filter problem has to be with author.
>
>There were three authors with the circle slash, but I found only one
>of them in the filter list. I deleted it. I'll see what the results
>are and report back later.

I wouldn't say it's a problem but that it's the filter doing its job.
I have a fair mix of author and subject filters and ignored threads in
a few groups. If it's not downloading the bodies for them I consider
it to be saved bandwidth and fewer abused electrons in the universe.
:)

If I really want spend any time reading those I just double click the
item to pull the body.

Enjoy.

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<538bugdl2l1vc1jqpds4lruu2chp8gspbf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3097&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3097

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:59:40 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:59 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:25:03 -0800, Geoff <geoff@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:38:12 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:27:43 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>I just checked in the newsgroup where I most often see these.
>>
>>Most of my filters are on author, although a few are on subject. Since
>>other message with the same subject do not have the circle slash, a
>>filter problem has to be with author.
>>
>>There were three authors with the circle slash, but I found only one
>>of them in the filter list. I deleted it. I'll see what the results
>>are and report back later.
>>

>I wouldn't say it's a problem but that it's the filter doing its job.
>I have a fair mix of author and subject filters and ignored threads in
>a few groups. If it's not downloading the bodies for them I consider
>it to be saved bandwidth and fewer abused electrons in the universe.
>:)
>
>If I really want spend any time reading those I just double click the
>item to pull the body.

Yes, that's what I've been doing.

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<d59bught888t1sfg6mfi3d3nt0mh51aol8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3099&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3099

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 06:48:06 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:48 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:51:10 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> I'm using Agent 6.0
>
> Most messages download fine, but some download with a circle with a
> slash through it in "Status."
>
> Some messages with a circle with a slash through it download with
> their bodies, but some don't.
>
> Can someone explain this?

The circle slash (🛇) means the message (and sub-thread) is 'ignored'.

'Ignored' means you do not want to read the message or sub-thread.

The 'ignored' flag can be set in three ways
1) By a filter with the action 'Ignore Thread'.
2) Manually, by pressing 'I' or using Message >> Ignore Thread.
3) It can be inherited from a message higher up in the sub-thread.
Setting the 'ignored' flag on one message will cause the 'ignored'
flag to be set on all follow-up messages.

I am not going to test all combinations, but I suspect that the
difference you see might depend on such things as:
(a) Whether Agent sees that you don't want to read the message
before or after it has decided to download the body;
(b) Whether what is triggering the body to download takes
precedence over the 'ignored' flag.

See these

Help >> Contents >> Introduction >> Agent's three-pane user interface
and click on the circle slash (🛇) icon.

Help >> Index >> Icons >> Icons Used in Agent >> Message List Pane >> Message Markers

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<q8ebughg7k8tked8cnic43otvfgjgcim0m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3100&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3100

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:47:36 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:47 UTC

wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:27:43 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:58:59 -0800, Geoff <geoff@invalid.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>The circle slash means you have a kill filter established that matches
>>>that article or thread. Use Tools | Usenet Filters to inspect your
>>>filter list. What Agent will do with a filter match depends on what
>>>the filter is set to do. Ignore, Mark read or Delete.
>>

>>Thanks very much. I'll check the next time I see one.
>

>I just checked in the newsgroup where I most often see these.
>
>Most of my filters are on author, although a few are on subject. Since
>other message with the same subject do not have the circle slash, a
>filter problem has to be with author.
>
>There were three authors with the circle slash, but I found only one
>of them in the filter list. I deleted it. I'll see what the results
>are and report back later.

His messages still have the circle-slash, at least some of them Some
of them don't. So now it appears that neither the author nor the
subject are filtered. I'll check the filter list again, but I'm
baffled.

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<7gebugp00c3bb1lbqud3470refaouvi03b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3101&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3101

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:52:50 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:52 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 06:48:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:51:10 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I'm using Agent 6.0
>>
>> Most messages download fine, but some download with a circle with a
>> slash through it in "Status."
>>
>> Some messages with a circle with a slash through it download with
>> their bodies, but some don't.
>>
>> Can someone explain this?
>

>The circle slash (?) means the message (and sub-thread) is 'ignored'.
>
>'Ignored' means you do not want to read the message or sub-thread.
>
>The 'ignored' flag can be set in three ways
> 1) By a filter with the action 'Ignore Thread'.
> 2) Manually, by pressing 'I' or using Message >> Ignore Thread.
> 3) It can be inherited from a message higher up in the sub-thread.
> Setting the 'ignored' flag on one message will cause the 'ignored'
> flag to be set on all follow-up messages.

Then it must be number 3 and I'm just not seeing the message higher up
in the sub-thread. Perhaps I should just ignore what's happening and
just double-click the message to get the body. Sooner or later there
won't be any more messages in the sub-thread, and this will stop
bothering me.

>I am not going to test all combinations, but I suspect that the
>difference you see might depend on such things as:
> (a) Whether Agent sees that you don't want to read the message
> before or after it has decided to download the body;
> (b) Whether what is triggering the body to download takes
> precedence over the 'ignored' flag.
>

>See these
>
> Help >> Contents >> Introduction >> Agent's three-pane user interface
> and click on the circle slash (?) icon.
>
> Help >> Index >> Icons >> Icons Used in Agent >> Message List Pane >> Message Markers

Re: Some messages download without their bodies.

<26fbugtmr75m0kfr80m9aofnjsc9ki2ju3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3102&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3102

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:01:54 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:01 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:52:50 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 06:48:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:51:10 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Agent 6.0
>>>
>>> Most messages download fine, but some download with a circle with a
>>> slash through it in "Status."
>>>
>>> Some messages with a circle with a slash through it download with
>>> their bodies, but some don't.
>>>
>>> Can someone explain this?
>>

>>The circle slash (?) means the message (and sub-thread) is 'ignored'.
>>
>>'Ignored' means you do not want to read the message or sub-thread.
>>
>>The 'ignored' flag can be set in three ways
>> 1) By a filter with the action 'Ignore Thread'.
>> 2) Manually, by pressing 'I' or using Message >> Ignore Thread.
>> 3) It can be inherited from a message higher up in the sub-thread.
>> Setting the 'ignored' flag on one message will cause the 'ignored'
>> flag to be set on all follow-up messages.
>

>Then it must be number 3 and I'm just not seeing the message higher up
>in the sub-thread. Perhaps I should just ignore what's happening and
>just double-click the message to get the body. Sooner or later there
>won't be any more messages in the sub-thread, and this will stop
>bothering me.
>

>>I am not going to test all combinations, but I suspect that the
>>difference you see might depend on such things as:
>> (a) Whether Agent sees that you don't want to read the message
>> before or after it has decided to download the body;
>> (b) Whether what is triggering the body to download takes
>> precedence over the 'ignored' flag.
>>

>>See these
>>
>> Help >> Contents >> Introduction >> Agent's three-pane user interface
>> and click on the circle slash (?) icon.

I looked three and followed the suggestion to click ignore on all the
messages I could find with the circle-slash icon. I think they're all
gone now. Thanks very much.