It's time to boot, do your boot ROMs know where your disk controllers are?

computers / comp.mobile.android / EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

SubjectAuthor
* EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers forsms
+* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNil
+* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
> [...]
|||  `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
||+- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
||`* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
|| `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersAJL
|`* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
| `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
|  `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
|   `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiNY
|    `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
+- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythimicky
`* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersCalum
 +* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersJava Jive
 |+- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersJoerg Lorenz
 |`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersAlan
 +- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersJoerg Lorenz
 +* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
 |`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargersAlan
 `* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiDavid Higton
  +* Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms
  |`- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythinospam
  +- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everythiTheo
  `- Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargerssms

Pages:123
EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3suo1$59s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30930&group=comp.mobile.android#30930

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for
everything
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 18:00:49 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:00 UTC

See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.

This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3t49m$ng0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30931&group=comp.mobile.android#30931

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 03:35:48 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 02:35 UTC

sms wrote:

> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>
> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.

It's also great news for the environment and for travel & convenience.
The only one who isn't gonna like this rather good news is.... (guess who).
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3t4fs$amo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30932&group=comp.mobile.android#30932

From: rednoi...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net (Nil)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:39:06 -0400
 by: Nil - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 02:39 UTC

On 22 Apr 2022, Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>
>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>
> It's also great news for the environment and for travel & convenience.
> The only one who isn't gonna like this rather good news is.... (guess who).

Aren't most charging bricks already using the standard USB-A port holes?

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3tos6$8sg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30946&group=comp.mobile.android#30946

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:26:22 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 08:26 UTC

"sms" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>
> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.

It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A plug
at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to determine
the correct way round for this plug when the socket is recessed into my PC
slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card slots are all on a panel
which is recessed about 1" compared with the front panel of the PC.

For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there was a
*standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the plug. Anker
used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but recent Anker leads
that I have bought no longer have this symbol.

Whether the device-end plug should be USB-C rather than (for example) Apple
Lightning is another matter. I don't have any great feelings either way, as
long as it is universally applied to all future devices.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<QJg*sSjMy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30947&group=comp.mobile.android#30947

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 22 Apr 2022 09:50:18 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 08:50 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A plug
> at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to determine
> the correct way round for this plug when the socket is recessed into my PC
> slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card slots are all on a panel
> which is recessed about 1" compared with the front panel of the PC.

USB-C *is* the new reversible standard. It's just more complex and
expensive to implement (eg on chargers) so many don't implement it. It is
also more confusing because it can perform so many different functions - you
can ship a charger with a 5V 1A USB-C port and people will complain it won't
charge their laptop.

I grant that there are certain mechanical advantages to USB-A (for USB
sticks mostly), but what you asked for already exists. A lot of USB-A ports
are just there for legacy reasons now.

> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there was a
> *standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the plug. Anker
> used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but recent Anker leads
> that I have bought no longer have this symbol.

The de facto standard was the symbol would be on the upper side of the plug
as it went in. However printing costs extra, so it is often just a moulding
into the plastic which is hard to see. It may also be that in certain
factories it saves time on the production line from having to orient the
plugs a particular way before they go into the overmould machine.

> Whether the device-end plug should be USB-C rather than (for example) Apple
> Lightning is another matter. I don't have any great feelings either way, as
> long as it is universally applied to all future devices.

USB-C is that universal standard...

Theo

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3tran$r2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30948&group=comp.mobile.android#30948

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:08:04 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:08 UTC

"Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A
>> plug
>> at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to determine
>> the correct way round for this plug when the socket is recessed into my
>> PC
>> slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card slots are all on a panel
>> which is recessed about 1" compared with the front panel of the PC.
>
> USB-C *is* the new reversible standard. It's just more complex and
> expensive to implement (eg on chargers) so many don't implement it. It is
> also more confusing because it can perform so many different functions -
> you
> can ship a charger with a 5V 1A USB-C port and people will complain it
> won't

Are you saying that the charger or computer end will become USB-C (instead
of USB-A) in the future, so leads will have USB-C plugs at both ends? Will
that cause problems if people try to plug two computers (master) or two
printers/phones (slave) together? (I'm leaving aside the added complication
of USB On The Go!) I thought the change only related to Mini/Micro-USB and
Apple Lightning at the *peripheral* end of the cable being made obsolete,
not that the USB-A at the computer end was also becoming obsolete.

> I grant that there are certain mechanical advantages to USB-A (for USB
> sticks mostly), but what you asked for already exists. A lot of USB-A
> ports
> are just there for legacy reasons now.

The USB-A plug is certainly a lot more rugged than the Micro-USB (I've not
enough experience of the longevity of USB-C). I find that I have to replace
the charging cable of my phone about every year, always because the
Micro-USB end has become loose and no longer fits tightly into the phone's
socket but instead wiggles sideways, allowing it to work loose.

>> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there was
>> *standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the plug.
>> Anker
>> used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but recent Anker
>> leads
>> that I have bought no longer have this symbol.
>
> The de facto standard was the symbol would be on the upper side of the
> plug
> as it went in. However printing costs extra, so it is often just a
> moulding
> into the plastic which is hard to see. It may also be that in certain
> factories it saves time on the production line from having to orient the
> plugs a particular way before they go into the overmould machine.
>
>> Whether the device-end plug should be USB-C rather than (for example)
>> Apple
>> Lightning is another matter. I don't have any great feelings either way,
>> as
>> long as it is universally applied to all future devices.
>
> USB-C is that universal standard...

Yes I made my comment to keep the Apple people happy. What matters more is
that there *is* a universal standard, rather than two different standards
depending on whether you are Apple or Rest of the World ;-)

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<slrnt64t2b.14f.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30949&group=comp.mobile.android#30949

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Subject: Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:24:27 +0200
 by: Rob - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:24 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>> It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A
>>> plug
>>> at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to determine
>>> the correct way round for this plug when the socket is recessed into my
>>> PC
>>> slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card slots are all on a panel
>>> which is recessed about 1" compared with the front panel of the PC.
>>
>> USB-C *is* the new reversible standard. It's just more complex and
>> expensive to implement (eg on chargers) so many don't implement it. It is
>> also more confusing because it can perform so many different functions -
>> you
>> can ship a charger with a 5V 1A USB-C port and people will complain it
>> won't
>
> Are you saying that the charger or computer end will become USB-C (instead
> of USB-A) in the future, so leads will have USB-C plugs at both ends?

That has already happened! Modern chargers come with a USB-C connector
and a USB-C to USB-C cable.

> Will
> that cause problems if people try to plug two computers (master) or two
> printers/phones (slave) together? (I'm leaving aside the added complication
> of USB On The Go!) I thought the change only related to Mini/Micro-USB and
> Apple Lightning at the *peripheral* end of the cable being made obsolete,
> not that the USB-A at the computer end was also becoming obsolete.

When you connect two USB-C devices together they can communicate, at
least when one of them is a "dual role device".
Kind of an integrated USB On The Go.

>> I grant that there are certain mechanical advantages to USB-A (for USB
>> sticks mostly), but what you asked for already exists. A lot of USB-A
>> ports
>> are just there for legacy reasons now.
>
> The USB-A plug is certainly a lot more rugged than the Micro-USB (I've not
> enough experience of the longevity of USB-C). I find that I have to replace
> the charging cable of my phone about every year, always because the
> Micro-USB end has become loose and no longer fits tightly into the phone's
> socket but instead wiggles sideways, allowing it to work loose.

USB-C seems a lot better than Micro USB. Also because it fits both
ways so it does not have to endure the attempts to insert the connector
the wrong way.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<2sjaji-i1m.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30953&group=comp.mobile.android#30953

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:32:34 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:32 UTC

On 2022-04-22 10:26, NY wrote:

> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there
> was a *standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the
> plug. Anker used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but
> recent Anker leads that I have bought no longer have this symbol.

I paint the wider part of the metal connector in red with a red felt pen :-)

And I also paint the devices with a red line. Unless they are black...

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<jbpaji-mjcu.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30965&group=comp.mobile.android#30965

From: hlehmann...@snafu.de (Hergen Lehmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:06:11 +0200
 by: Hergen Lehmann - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:06 UTC

Am 22.04.22 um 11:08 schrieb NY:

> "Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>> USB-C *is* the new reversible standard.  It's just more complex and
>
> Are you saying that the charger or computer end will become USB-C
> (instead of USB-A) in the future, so leads will have USB-C plugs at both
> ends?

Yes. And it's not in the future, but already available for a few years.
As a cable, in up-to-date devices, and also in high-power chargers,
which exceed the capabilities of USB-A.

> Will that cause problems if people try to plug two computers
> (master) or two printers/phones (slave) together? (I'm leaving aside the

Physically - no. USB-C has mechanism to detect, which roles a device can
play and prevents damage to incompatible devices.

For the user - surely. An USB-C socket can act as USB Host, USB Device,
USB Power supply, DisplayPort input/output, Thunderbolt host/device, and
several more. Just because two devices have an USB-C socket does NOT
guarantee, they can communicate with each other.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<220420221101549840%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30967&group=comp.mobile.android#30967

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:01:54 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:01 UTC

In article <jbpaji-mjcu.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>, Hergen Lehmann
<hlehmann.expires.5-11@snafu.de> wrote:

> For the user - surely. An USB-C socket can act as USB Host, USB Device,
> USB Power supply, DisplayPort input/output, Thunderbolt host/device, and
> several more. Just because two devices have an USB-C socket does NOT
> guarantee, they can communicate with each other.

that is actually a huge problem.

just because a cable has usb-c connectors at each end doesn't mean it
will actually work for a given purpose, and there's no easy way to tell
what the capabilities of a given cable just by looking at it.

mandating it is crazy.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3uh3t$db0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30969&group=comp.mobile.android#30969

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 08:20:28 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:20 UTC

On 4/22/2022 1:26 AM, NY wrote:
> "sms" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>
>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>
> It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A
> plug at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to
> determine the correct way round for this plug when the socket is
> recessed into my PC slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card
> slots are all on a panel which is recessed about 1" compared with the
> front panel of the PC.
>
> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there
> was a *standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the
> plug. Anker used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but
> recent Anker leads that I have bought no longer have this symbol.

There are reversible Micro-USB cables. Very useful to not have to worry
about getting the orientation correct.
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002314835037.html>.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<220420221127432749%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30970&group=comp.mobile.android#30970

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:27:43 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:27 UTC

In article <t3uh3t$db0$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> There are reversible Micro-USB cables. Very useful to not have to worry
> about getting the orientation correct.

except those don't work particularly well, making them not very useful.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<f0vaji-cef.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30971&group=comp.mobile.android#30971

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:42:39 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:42 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <t3uh3t$db0$1@dont-email.me>, sms
> <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There are reversible Micro-USB cables. Very useful to not have to worry
> > about getting the orientation correct.
>
> except those don't work particularly well, making them not very useful.

Well, as I just said, in my experience they're at least as good as
'ordinary' ones. I bought mine from CPC (part of the Farnell Group in
the UK), not from AliExpress.

My Kobo Forma came with a reversible micro-USB connector like this as
supplied by Kobo for use with their device.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<ssuaji-cef.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30972&group=comp.mobile.android#30972

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:40:44 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:40 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 4/22/2022 1:26 AM, NY wrote:
> > "sms" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> >> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
> >>
> >> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
> >> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
> >
> > It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A
> > plug at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to
> > determine the correct way round for this plug when the socket is
> > recessed into my PC slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card
> > slots are all on a panel which is recessed about 1" compared with the
> > front panel of the PC.
> >
> > For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there
> > was a *standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the
> > plug. Anker used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but
> > recent Anker leads that I have bought no longer have this symbol.
>
> There are reversible Micro-USB cables. Very useful to not have to worry
> about getting the orientation correct.
> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002314835037.html>.

Yes, I've been using these for a while, they work well and are pretty
robust. On the ones I have the USB-A end is reversible as well. In
the UK they're available from CPC, you don't have to wait for
AliExpress delivery from China.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<220420221228206420%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30976&group=comp.mobile.android#30976

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:28:20 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

In article <f0vaji-cef.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net>
wrote:

> > > There are reversible Micro-USB cables. Very useful to not have to worry
> > > about getting the orientation correct.
> >
> > except those don't work particularly well, making them not very useful.
>
> Well, as I just said, in my experience they're at least as good as
> 'ordinary' ones. I bought mine from CPC (part of the Farnell Group in
> the UK), not from AliExpress.

i bought one a couple of years ago and it was junk.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<q93bji-cvdu.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30977&group=comp.mobile.android#30977

From: hlehmann...@snafu.de (Hergen Lehmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:55:54 +0200
 by: Hergen Lehmann - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:55 UTC

Am 22.04.22 um 17:01 schrieb nospam:

> In article <jbpaji-mjcu.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>, Hergen Lehmann
> <hlehmann.expires.5-11@snafu.de> wrote:
>
>> For the user - surely. An USB-C socket can act as USB Host, USB Device,
>> USB Power supply, DisplayPort input/output, Thunderbolt host/device, and
>> several more. Just because two devices have an USB-C socket does NOT
>> guarantee, they can communicate with each other.
>
> that is actually a huge problem.
>
> just because a cable has usb-c connectors at each end doesn't mean it
> will actually work for a given purpose, and there's no easy way to tell
> what the capabilities of a given cable just by looking at it.

This is more of a problem with MicroUSB-to-A and C-to-A cables. Many
low-cost gadgets come with enclosed charging cables, which do neither
support data communication nor quick charging. Once you have these crap
cables mixed into your cable collection, they will become the source of
endless fun.

Going strictly USB-C at both ends actually eases this to some extent. As
this configuration is typically used in higher-priced products, which
need the increased speed and/or power delivery capacity of USB-C, these
kind of cables usually also have reasonable quality in order to work for
everything. For now.

> mandating it is crazy.

It's necessary to get the insane number of cable variants and charger
types down. Even if the "chinese crap cable" problem should return in
the end, having only to distinguish between good and bad cables is
already a big relief.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3un70$12v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30978&group=comp.mobile.android#30978

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:04:32 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:04 UTC

On 4/22/2022 5:32 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-04-22 10:26, NY wrote:

>> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if
>> there was a *standard* for always including a symbol on the same
>> side of the plug. Anker used to put a symbol on the same side of
>> their plugs, but recent Anker leads that I have bought no longer
>> have this symbol.

> I paint the wider part of the metal connector in red with a red felt
> pen :-)

> And I also paint the devices with a red line. Unless they are
> black...

Me too. I bought a bottle of white fingernail polish at my local dollar
store an put a positioning dot on both the connector and the device. I
wonder what the checkout girl thought of my taste in fingernail polish...

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<9dr56htotrn7b479f9jmp5qlblc0oeq4sv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30981&group=comp.mobile.android#30981

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:03:03 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:03 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 18:00:49 -0700, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>
>This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.

This is going to ruin my marketing plans for USB-D connectors, Patent
Pending.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<rfr56h15236cnmg982dbmr7hkgdvu795ft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30982&group=comp.mobile.android#30982

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:04:16 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:04 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:26:22 +0100, "NY"
<me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>"sms" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> See <https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-usbc-chargers-3155851/>.
>>
>> This is very good news for consumers. If the EU moves forward then the
>> benefits will extend to consumers in other countries.
>
>It's a shame that there isn't a new reversible standard for the USB-A plug
>at the other end of most USB leads. I find it very difficult to determine
>the correct way round for this plug when the socket is recessed into my PC
>slightly: the USB sockets and SD/CF memory card slots are all on a panel
>which is recessed about 1" compared with the front panel of the PC.
>
>For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there was a
>*standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the plug. Anker
>used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but recent Anker leads
>that I have bought no longer have this symbol.
>

>Whether the device-end plug should be USB-C rather than (for example) Apple
>Lightning is another matter. I don't have any great feelings either way, as
>long as it is universally applied to all future devices.

Good point. Did you know that cars now have an arrow on one side of the
gas gauge that points to the side with the filler pipe?

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<220420221418058180%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30986&group=comp.mobile.android#30986

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:18:05 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:18 UTC

In article <q93bji-cvdu.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>, Hergen Lehmann
<hlehmann.expires.5-11@snafu.de> wrote:

> >> For the user - surely. An USB-C socket can act as USB Host, USB Device,
> >> USB Power supply, DisplayPort input/output, Thunderbolt host/device, and
> >> several more. Just because two devices have an USB-C socket does NOT
> >> guarantee, they can communicate with each other.
> >
> > that is actually a huge problem.
> >
> > just because a cable has usb-c connectors at each end doesn't mean it
> > will actually work for a given purpose, and there's no easy way to tell
> > what the capabilities of a given cable just by looking at it.
>
> This is more of a problem with MicroUSB-to-A and C-to-A cables. Many
> low-cost gadgets come with enclosed charging cables, which do neither
> support data communication nor quick charging. Once you have these crap
> cables mixed into your cable collection, they will become the source of
> endless fun.

'charging cables' are not usb compliant, which means anything goes.

> Going strictly USB-C at both ends actually eases this to some extent. As
> this configuration is typically used in higher-priced products, which
> need the increased speed and/or power delivery capacity of USB-C, these
> kind of cables usually also have reasonable quality in order to work for
> everything. For now.

except that you can't tell just by looking at a usb-c cable if it
supports usb 2, 3, 3.1, 4, usb power delivery 2, 3, 3.1, thunderbolt 3
or 4, or other functionality via alternate mode, unless you chose to
label it after removing it from the package.

cables that support thunderbolt will *usually* will have a thunderbolt
logo, but not always. good luck on the rest.

that's much worse than issues with non-compliant cables, which are to
be expected, because they're not compliant.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3v2mv$tb5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31005&group=comp.mobile.android#31005

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:20:46 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:20 UTC

> On 4/22/2022 1:26 AM, NY wrote:
>> For non-reversible plugs (Mini/Micro-USB) it would be useful if there was
>> a *standard* for always including a symbol on the same side of the plug.
>> Anker used to put a symbol on the same side of their plugs, but recent
>> Anker leads that I have bought no longer have this symbol.
>
> There are reversible Micro-USB cables. Very useful to not have to worry
> about getting the orientation correct.
> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002314835037.html>.

Yes I discovered that fairly recently. I bought a short Micro-USB cable with
a right-angle connector so I could connect my phone to a USB battery, with
both being held in a housing that's fastened to my bicycle handlebars - so I
can run Viewranger (RIP), Open Active and Anquet to record GPS tracks and
show me a route. The housing is only slightly larger than the phone so a
straight cable would be bent by the housing, hence the right-angle cable.

And when I received it, the connector looked odd. I thought it was USB-C at
first, but it's a symmetrical variant of Micro-USB so it will go into the
phone socket either way round.

I wonder why Micro-USB wasn't designed like that originally, or why the
reversible connector hasn't taken over from the polarised one. Does the
USB-C connector have any advantage over a reversible Micro-USB? Was there a
need to invent a new connector (USB-C) once the reversible Micro had been
developed?

If computers can be fitted with USB-C connectors and a double-ended USB-C
cable can be used, and peripherals can adapt to this, then it sounds like a
good solution.

Talking of special "charging cables" (with the data lines severed), I had to
make the exact opposite - a USB cable with data lines intact but the +5V
line severed. This was for connecting a powered USB hub (for powering a USB
hard drive) to a Raspberry Pi for data comms. The Pi can't power the HDD
(not enough current can flow) so a powered USB is the solution and works
fine with the Pi3. But my Pi4 failed to boot. Apparently the Pi4 fails to
begin the boot process if the hub (*) feeds power up the cable to the Pi at
the moment that the Pi is powered on - for example when both devices are
powered on after a power cut. The solution is to cut the +5V line in the
cable between Pi and hub. I chose a spare cable and broke into it,
identifying the +5V line and cutting it. Problem solved.

(*) Apparently it's poor design in some hubs. They are supposed to feed
power only "downstream" to the peripherals; any that also feed power
"upstream" to the computer are not completely standards-compliant. Evidently
the Pi3 tolerated this but the Pi4 didn't.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3v32o$a1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31006&group=comp.mobile.android#31006

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:27:01 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:27 UTC

"Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message
> Yes, I've been using these for a while, they work well and are pretty
> robust. On the ones I have the USB-A end is reversible as well. In
> the UK they're available from CPC, you don't have to wait for
> AliExpress delivery from China.

Reversible at the USB-A end as well? That I have to see. I assumed that it
was not possible because half the width of the socket (and the plug) is
taken up with solid plastic into which the pins are embedded. Maybe the
reversible USB-A has a thin tab (like a Lightning plug) with pins on both
sides so the plug can be inserted either way round. Ah yes, found Farnell's
version https://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/standard/en_GB/CS29911-40.jpg

I wonder if the reversible USB-A and Micro-USB connectors are less robust
and don't withstand as many unplugging/plugging events before they fail, and
maybe that's why they haven't superseded the older polarised versions.

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3v3er$2sd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31010&group=comp.mobile.android#31010

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
for everything
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:33:31 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:33 UTC

On 2022-04-22 1:27 p.m., NY wrote:
> "Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, I've been using these for a while, they work well and are pretty
>> robust.  On the ones I have the USB-A end is reversible as well. In
>> the UK they're available from CPC, you don't have to wait for
>> AliExpress delivery from China.
>
> Reversible at the USB-A end as well? That I have to see. I assumed that
> it was not possible because half the width of the socket (and the plug)
> is taken up with solid plastic into which the pins are embedded. Maybe
> the reversible USB-A has a thin tab (like a Lightning plug) with pins on
> both sides so the plug can be inserted either way round. Ah yes, found
> Farnell's version
> https://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/standard/en_GB/CS29911-40.jpg
>

> I wonder if the reversible USB-A and Micro-USB connectors are less
> robust and don't withstand as many unplugging/plugging events before
> they fail, and maybe that's why they haven't superseded the older
> polarised versions.

Ya think?

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3v43m$7u3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31015&group=comp.mobile.android#31015

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:44:34 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:44 UTC

"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
> Good point. Did you know that cars now have an arrow on one side of the
> gas gauge that points to the side with the filler pipe?

Yes I learned that a few years ago. I've never used to have problems with
the various cars that I owned, learning which side each one's filler pipe
is, because I've only ever driven one car at a time.

But after I got married and started driving my car and my wife's car
interchangeably, I had to remember that they had fillers on opposite sides.
And I went from *knowing* that my car's filler is on the right (driver's
side - I'm in the UK) to forgetting which car of the two had the filler on
the left and which on the right (but knowing that they were different).
Learning about the arrow on the fuel gauge helped a lot.

It's like the position of reverse gear in the (manual gearbox) H-gate. My
car has reverse to the left of first gear and my wife's has it to the right
of sixth gear. Again, I know they are different but have to think "which is
which" (or even "which car am I driving!!!!").

My Peugeot

R 1 3 5
2 4 6

My wife's Honda

1 3 5
2 4 6 R

I know I could look at the numbers printed on the top of the knob, but that
means removing my hand as I go from first to reverse, to look at the
inscription. It's nice to be able to do things by muscle memory. I've got
into the habit now of doing it by feel: if the lever won't go to the left of
first it must be my wife's car so I try right of sixth. Old dogs, new
tricks... ;-)

Thankfully I never had to drive an old car with only three gears, where the
gears are laid out totally differently:

R 2
1 3

Goodness knows how they provided an interlock to prevent you going
accidentally from first to reverse instead of first to second. I don't think
old cars even had a collar that you had to lift to allow reverse.

But all that is a digression ;-)

Re: EU is close to forcing every manufacturer to use USB-C chargers for everything

<t3v4vm$d64$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31016&group=comp.mobile.android#31016

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)