Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 20:15:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A comment about my mental health and the near future
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 03:15 UTC

For those who read posts I write on here about mental health, here is a disclosure I don't mind making.

I just recollected and thought about something a doctor said to me at my first hospitalization when I was 15. I realized that my brain, being finite, has a limited amount of resources...and in terms of the "exercise and skill" of consuming music (I mean that half-sarcastically), I spend hours upon hours each day "practicing" at "being a music listener."

So I decided to go cold turkey and stop listening to music. It's pretty clearly not the worst "addiction" to have, but I figure that even as a non-neurologist, I could be pretty confident, particularly given my doctor's advice in the past that I followed and thought about less than other advice, that my health might improve if I stop listening to music completely. It certainly wouldn't kill me--I bet I'll have sort of mild withdrawal cravings/pangs for a little while, and get over it within a few weeks. I'll probably feel a little better after I take my medications at 10 each night.

I'm going to try it for a month. I thought of it this way because I thought about software and electrical engineering recently...a circuit that is essentially a "finite UTM" isn't that complicated, so I figure that a lot of electrical engineers design "special circuits" for certain tasks, to save resources--including fewer costly gates/etc. on the circuit, maximizing efficiency of the circuit, and trying to make it small. In other words, without having even bought a EE textbook, I figure that it's all about designing circuits to use resources efficiently, in various ways. So...since my brain has limited resources, I should probably not spend them, for hours each day, "training to be practically a full-time music listener."

I do keep some things about me and things I've done in STEM and things about my health, etc., a secret...but I figured this disclosure is harmless enough to make, and I feel like writing it on the internet and also committing to it so that I'm more likely to follow through.

Eventually, as I mentioned in another post, I'll pivot back to just writing on Facebook, instead of writing on comp.theory about this. Even if you read my posts and see them as not always related to STEM, at least my posts can give some insight of how the mind of one STEM person works! Here's hoping my multi-year emergency ends soon.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)