From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: AT&T, Comcast, Cox plot hybrid future for workforce, while GCI embraces remote [telecom]
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:53:06 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:53 UTC

Flexibility looks to be the name of the game as operators bring their
employees back to the office, with a majority - including big names
like AT&T and Comcast - telling Fierce they're opting for a hybrid
work model going forward. A smaller portion, however, said they plan
to remain mostly remote, citing benefits for both employees and the
company alike.

An AT&T representative told Fierce the operator has created a new
hybrid work model which assigns workers one of three
classifications. Office employees work from corporate locations three
to five days per week, while Flex employees show up in person one to
three days per week and Virtual staff come in to the office about one
to five days per month.

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/telecom/att-comcast-cox-plot-hybrid-future-workforce-while-gci-embraces-remote

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

Re: AT&T, Comcast, Cox plot hybrid future for workforce, while GCI embraces remote [telecom]

<t3t83b$t5c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3104&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3104

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 21 Apr 2022 23:40:32 -0400
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 03:40 UTC

On 4/19/2022 21:53, Bill Horne wrote:
> Flexibility looks to be the name of the game as operators bring their
> employees back to the office, with a majority - including big names
> like AT&T and Comcast - telling Fierce they're opting for a hybrid
> work model going forward. A smaller portion, however, said they plan
> to remain mostly remote, citing benefits for both employees and the
> company alike.

Understandable for some office and call center jobs, but of course, this
can't apply to field techs and central office positions. Unless much of
that switch-work can be done remotely?

Re: AT&T, Comcast, Cox plot hybrid future for workforce, while GCI embraces remote [telecom]

<20220422165440.GA2513@telecom.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3105&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3105

From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:54:41 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:54 UTC

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 11:40:32PM -0400, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 4/19/2022 21:53, Bill Horne wrote:
>> Flexibility looks to be the name of the game as operators bring their
>> employees back to the office, with a majority - including big names
>> like AT&T and Comcast - telling Fierce they're opting for a hybrid
>> work model going forward. A smaller portion, however, said they plan
>> to remain mostly remote, citing benefits for both employees and the
>> company alike.
>
> Understandable for some office and call center jobs, but of course, this
> can't apply to field techs and central office positions. Unless much of
> that switch-work can be done remotely?

In fact, it can apply to anyone who isn't protected by the laws of
physics. No joke: the only thing keeping most Central Office
Technicians employed is the transit time to and from the Clarke Belt:
the wet dream of the oligarchs who run American industry is to
eliminate the need for any kind of specialized expertise in those
uppity technocrat members of the workforce they think of as serfs on
their plantations.

Actually, almost all of that switch work can be done remotely, and by
workers in other time zones on the other side of the world. That's not
being allowed as yet, because the best Congress that money can buy is
deathly afraid of not having a constant stream of money flowing into
the Social Security Trust Fund, a formerly inexhaustible cache of
capital which they have treated as a candy store they could rob at any
time they wanted every since it was created.

The real reason that existing cables and drops are being abandoned in
favor of fiber-optic media is that each pair of copper wire is
slightly different from others, even in the same cable, even with the
same bridge taps, even with identical splices and junction boxes.

Fiber-optic pathways are being installed at breakneck speed because
copper requires something that can't be bought: the loyalty and
dedication of union men and women who can actually think about seeing
their kids graduating from college - instead of task-trained menials
applying computer-generated settings in private rooms located in
rented space where unions can't picket.

If they could, the overlords of our country would move all the
telephone and computer infrastructure overseas, to third-world
crapholes that are populated by uneducated and superstitious peasants
whom are glad to have a handful of rice at the end of their day, and
maybe even water that doesn't make them too sick to go back the next
day and bow down to their betters all over again.

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)