From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to
add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 05:54:08 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:54 UTC

"Google Wallet may be making a return"

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/18/23030464/google-wallet-return-pay-screen-manage-cards-passes

I don't know why Google ever merged Google Wallet into Google Pay. On
the iPhone, the Apple Wallet is a more logical system.

Now if only Apple could make adding cards to Apple Wallet more
straightforward!

I wanted to update my State of California Covid Vaccination card on my
phone after I received my second booster. Since the release of iOS 15.1
Apple has supported saving California Covid-19 vaccination cards to
Apple Wallet, but they have not made it very straightforward.

To begin the process, regardless of whether it's for iPhone or Android,
you go to the California site, enter your identifying information, then
they send you a text with a link to click where you enter your pass
code. Then the procedures for my Android and iPhone diverge:

iPhone (from <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212752>)
1. Save the QR code that you receive, as a photo.
2. Open the Photos app
3. Tap the image of your QR code in photos
4. Touch and hold the image and tap “Open in Health”
5. Then tap “Add to Wallet & Health”
6. Tap "Done"

Android: Click on "Save to phone" <https://i.imgur.com/n8KddGZ.jpg>

Why is this so complex in iOS?

I added this as #161a on page 67 of the document.

On Android it's also easier (and cheaper) to add unsupported cards to
the phone using an app. This is documented as 133a on page 58 of the
document.

---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------
✓ 34 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had ✓
✓ 161 Android & Android Phone Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish
they Had ✓

<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>

✓ 69 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations ✓

✓ 100% Fact Checked ✓
---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------

Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)

<230420221133036842%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31066&group=comp.mobile.android#31066

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:33:03 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:33 UTC

In article <t40stj$tta$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> Now if only Apple could make adding cards to Apple Wallet more
> straightforward!

they did. it's trivial to add cards to apple wallet. simply tap the add
to apple wallet button on the issuer's web site or app, or email they
send.

> I wanted to update my State of California Covid Vaccination card on my
> phone after I received my second booster. Since the release of iOS 15.1
> Apple has supported saving California Covid-19 vaccination cards to
> Apple Wallet, but they have not made it very straightforward.

that's california's fault, not apple.

Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)

<sv37q8zzrkuf$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31069&group=comp.mobile.android#31069

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:28:43 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

sms wrote:

> "Google Wallet may be making a return"
>
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/18/23030464/google-wallet-return-pay-screen-manage-cards-passes
>
> I don't know why Google ever merged Google Wallet into Google Pay. On
> the iPhone, the Apple Wallet is a more logical system.
>
> Now if only Apple could make adding cards to Apple Wallet more
> straightforward!
>
> I wanted to update my State of California Covid Vaccination card on my
> phone after I received my second booster. Since the release of iOS 15.1
> Apple has supported saving California Covid-19 vaccination cards to
> Apple Wallet, but they have not made it very straightforward.

I'm a guy, so my wallet is in a pants pocket instead of buried inside a
purse. It's easier and more reliable to carry the vaccination card in
my wallet than to have it accessed from a phone which is likely locked,
could be powered off, especially when near the end of battery life
waiting until I can get a charge, or its battery is dead. I still read
paper books, too.

Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)

<t425di$cao$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31094&group=comp.mobile.android#31094

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 01:25:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 00:25 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> I'm a guy, so my wallet is in a pants pocket instead of buried inside a
> purse. It's easier and more reliable to carry the vaccination card in
> my wallet than to have it accessed from a phone which is likely locked,
> could be powered off, especially when near the end of battery life
> waiting until I can get a charge, or its battery is dead. I still read
> paper books, too.

There are pros and cons to storing "cards" in a Coach wallet versus a Google
wallet, to be sure, where I only first tested software wallets recently.
*Is there is a card "wallet" app that doesn't require the net?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/cpgY52u8vrY>

The biggest con is simply in storing private data on any consumer computer.
The biggest pro is perhaps the convenience of it always being in your hands.

In my tests, another astoundingly huge drawback was the software wallets
_require_ a login into an account onto _that_ software company's servers.
<https://i.postimg.cc/jdN9wKNW/cards01.jpg> Many similar named apps
<https://i.postimg.cc/d3jcPYJS/cards02.jpg> Features of the Cards app
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tphqYWS/cards03.jpg> Create a card as Guest
<https://i.postimg.cc/jd6QLVyc/cards04.jpg> Guest can't survivew signout
<https://i.postimg.cc/90pQ60PS/cards05.jpg> Added a VISA & an insurance ID

If that's not fatal to any sensible person, then I don't know what else is.
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.