VMS must die!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

SubjectAuthor
* forwarding text messages to an email address?The Real Bev
+* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?sms
|+* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?nospam
||`* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Andy Burnelli
|| `* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?nospam
||  `- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Andy Burnelli
|`- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?VanguardLH
|`* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Andy Burnelli
| `- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?The Real Bev
+* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Chris Green
|+* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Roger Mills
||`- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Chris Green
|`- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?sms
+* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Mayayana
> [...]
| ||  `- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?sms
| |`* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?The Real Bev
| | `* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?sms
| |  +- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?nospam
| |  +- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?The Real Bev
| |  `* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Frank Slootweg
| |   `* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?sms
| |    +- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?nospam
| |    `* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Frank Slootweg
| |     `* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?sms
| |      +- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?nospam
| |      `- Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Joerg Lorenz
| `* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?Frank Slootweg
`* Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?sms

Pages:123456
forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t41v9g$eu5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31085&group=comp.mobile.android#31085

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: forwarding text messages to an email address?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:40:48 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:40 UTC

There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
going to happen. I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
but I see no way to forward it to my email address. I can always type
it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.

--
Cheers, Bev
You know how dumb the average person is?

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t4208q$mha$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31087&group=comp.mobile.android#31087

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:57:27 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:57 UTC

On 4/23/2022 3:40 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2.  I wish people would
> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> going to happen.  I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
> but I see no way to forward it to my email address.  I can always type
> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.

Google said that they were going to remove SMS forwarding apps but they
appear to still be available.

You can also use an app like this:
<https://f-droid.org/packages/com.pierreduchemin.smsforward/> and
forward the SMS to a Google Voice number and you can read the SMS in e-mail.

Google sees a security risk in these apps since SMS is often used for
verification codes, including ones from banks.

None of this would work on the iPhone since those apps are all banned
(unless you jailbreak

You could port your main cell number to Google Voice in which case you'd
be able to read your SMS in e-mail and/or on your phone that the Google
Voice number is forwarded to. This also works on the iPhone.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<230420221937159980%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31088&group=comp.mobile.android#31088

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:37:15 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 23:37 UTC

In article <t4208q$mha$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> None of this would work on the iPhone since those apps are all banned
> (unless you jailbreak

none of that is needed, since the ability to forward text messages has
been *part* *of* *ios* for many *years*, and not just receiving, but
also replying to them.

nearly all of what you claim is impossible on an iphone is easily done,
and what's worse is you refuse to learn how.

simply enable it in settings and confirm it:
<https://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/iOS-8-Messag
es-Text-Message-Forwarding-002-281x500.png>
<https://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/iOS-8-Messag
es-Text-Message-Forwarding-005-745x455.jpg>

alternately, forward individual messages, which also works on android,
no additional apps required.

from *ten* years ago, with ios 5:
<https://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/forward-text-messag
e-iphone.jpg>

more recently, with ios 11:
<https://829395.smushcdn.com/1681952/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/iOS-1-1-
e1567640750282.jpg>

forwarding to email on android:
<https://829395.smushcdn.com/1681952/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Android-
1-e1567640692136.jpg>

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t422n0$1ln7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31089&group=comp.mobile.android#31089

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 00:39:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 23:39 UTC

sms wrote:

> On 4/23/2022 3:40 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2.� I wish people would
>> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
>> going to happen.� I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
>> but I see no way to forward it to my email address.� I can always type
>> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.
>
> Google said that they were going to remove SMS forwarding apps but they
> appear to still be available.
>
> You can also use an app like this:
> <https://f-droid.org/packages/com.pierreduchemin.smsforward/> and
> forward the SMS to a Google Voice number and you can read the SMS in e-mail.
>
> Google sees a security risk in these apps since SMS is often used for
> verification codes, including ones from banks.

Steve seems to have implicitly understood your need, but I don't fully
understand what you're asking for. What exactly is it that you want to do?

Is it that you want any SMS/MMS that someone sends to your phone number to
also go into your email? Or just some? Must it be fully automatic? Or can it
be manually performed on certain messages?

Either way, this first hit of a search seems to say it can be done (on both
Android and on iOS, where the article is dated January 2022 if that's true).
<https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-forward-text-message-to-email-4174633>

That article says some messaging apps have a "forward to email" option.
Others they mention are "Handcent" and "Chomp" which, they say, "make
forwarding texts easy" and still others, they say, "automatically forward
texts to a pre-established email address" so that "your messages are saved
so you can refer to them later" - such as "Auto Forward SMS 404, which
forwards texts from your phone to an email account, forwards texts with
specific keywords, sends a notification when the battery is low, and
notifies you of missed calls."

I could dig further as we always solve almost every need, but I'm confused
as to what your need entails so I'll leave it at that first hit of this:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=forward+sms+to+email>
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted people daily gather to voluntarily help others.
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted people daily gather to voluntarily help others.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t4232b$1ohj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31090&group=comp.mobile.android#31090

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 00:45:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 23:45 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> None of this would work on the iPhone since those apps are all banned
>> (unless you jailbreak
>
> nearly all of what you claim is impossible on an iphone is easily done
>
> alternately, forward individual messages, which also works on android,
> no additional apps required.

I have to admit that if someone asks a question, I assume it's hard to do,
but when I searched, the very first hit seems to say what you just said.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=forward+sms+to+email>

It's rather unusual for the first hit to ever appear to answer the question,
so maybe I don't understand the question that The Real Bev asked, nor did I
understand Steve's response if that first hit is correct that it can
apparently easily be done on both platforms.
*How to Forward a Text Message to Email*
*Send messages to email straight from your iOS or Android phone*
<https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-forward-text-message-to-email-4174633>

When that happens, it's usually because I didn't understand the need.
I guess we have to wait for the OP to clarify what the unmet need is.
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted people daily gather to voluntarily help others.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<230420221955325797%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31092&group=comp.mobile.android#31092

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:55:32 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 23:55 UTC

In article <t4232b$1ohj$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> None of this would work on the iPhone since those apps are all banned
> >> (unless you jailbreak
> >
> > nearly all of what you claim is impossible on an iphone is easily done
> >
> > alternately, forward individual messages, which also works on android,
> > no additional apps required.
>
> I have to admit that if someone asks a question, I assume it's hard to do,

bad assumption. often it's easy to do, they just don't know how,
usually because they haven't done it before.

> but when I searched, the very first hit seems to say what you just said.

as it should.

> It's rather unusual for the first hit to ever appear to answer the question,

actually, helpful answers are often the first few hits, assuming
appropriate search terms are used.

that's one reason why google won out over other search engines long ago.

> so maybe I don't understand the question that The Real Bev asked, nor did I
> understand Steve's response if that first hit is correct that it can
> apparently easily be done on both platforms.

your lack of understanding is not limited to only questions people ask.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t429gf$1e16$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31097&group=comp.mobile.android#31097

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 02:35:27 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 01:35 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> I have to admit that if someone asks a question, I assume it's hard to do,
>
> bad assumption. often it's easy to do, they just don't know how,
> usually because they haven't done it before.

Well, if an intelligent adult person asks a question, usually it means
they've searched and didn't readily find the answer, much like I often do.

>> It's rather unusual for the first hit to ever appear to answer the question,
>
> actually, helpful answers are often the first few hits, assuming
> appropriate search terms are used.

I disagree, particularly if/when the problem set to be resolved doesn't yet
have an obvious answer readily available or if the terms are too common.

Case in point of the former happened this week to me when I searched for how
to overcome Android screenshot prevention, where almost all the hits in the
first few pages were simply telling me _why_ and _how_ the screenshot
prevention happens.

I was ignorant (as I'm not ashamed to admit what I don't know); but in about
two or three days, I made up for that lack of knowledge, don't y'think?
<https://i.postimg.cc/N0G1TXcZ/scrcpy01.jpg> Mirror Android on any PC
<https://i.postimg.cc/tTmdgKTB/scrcpy02.jpg> An efficient program setup
<https://i.postimg.cc/Vvrq0K0m/scrcpy03.jpg> The efficient setup explained
<https://i.postimg.cc/Y00vx4yp/scrcpy04.jpg> Extraneous cmd window (&)
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows
<https://i.postimg.cc/Sx1hgWmY/scrcpy06.jpg> Press two hardware buttons
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjkVFyqJ/scrcpy07.jpg> Android mnt as drive letter
<https://i.postimg.cc/nV6K0Cfn/scrcpy08.jpg> CMD test of showwin.bat
<https://i.postimg.cc/66Gn2t2g/scrcpy09.jpg> REG test of showwin.bat
<https://i.postimg.cc/htMdWG6z/scrcpy10.jpg> The console came up :(
<https://i.postimg.cc/7LWJhWxq/scrcpy11.jpg> Shortcut test of showwin.lnk
<https://i.postimg.cc/yYKNnHxD/scrcpy12.jpg> REG test of showwin.lnk
<https://i.postimg.cc/CxXH6N2r/scrcpy13.jpg> No scrcpy console window!
<https://i.postimg.cc/XqZsmVFM/scrcpy14.jpg> AppPath & shortcut TARGET
<https://i.postimg.cc/g2yNftw0/scrcpy15.jpg> Trick to pin batch shortcut

Case in point of the latter happened this week to me when I searched for
software wallets that didn't require a login to any server to work fine.

In the first real-life recent instance above, I eventually found the scrcpy
command whose job isn't necessarily to overcome the Android prohibitions,
but which ends up being fantastic at doing so.

Voila! Ignorance can be cured!

In the second real-life recent instance above, I tested the software wallet
Andy Burns (whose acumen I respect) recommended, and, coincidentally, I
_combined_ the knowledge learned from both to snap these screenshots for him
<https://i.postimg.cc/jdN9wKNW/cards01.jpg> Many similar named apps
<https://i.postimg.cc/d3jcPYJS/cards02.jpg> Features of the Cards app
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tphqYWS/cards03.jpg> Create a card as Guest
<https://i.postimg.cc/jd6QLVyc/cards04.jpg> Guest can't survive signout
<https://i.postimg.cc/90pQ60PS/cards05.jpg> Added a VISA & an insurance ID

I'm _still_ ignorant of what free software wallet exists out there today
that does _not_ require you to own an account on someone's Internet server.

Can you kindly help with curing my ignorance on _that_ topic, nospam?

> that's one reason why google won out over other search engines long ago.

I hate to agree but Google is still better than DDG, although a _lot_ of
Google results don't work on my computer because of cloudflare-type crap.

>> so maybe I don't understand the question that The Real Bev asked, nor did I
>> understand Steve's response if that first hit is correct that it can
>> apparently easily be done on both platforms.
>
> your lack of understanding is not limited to only questions people ask.

That sentence is clearly indicative of your despicable personality nospam.
Everything you injected in that sentence, tells me more about you - than me.

One sure way to tell you own the unhelpful attitude of a child-like but
completely unprepossessing brain, nospam, is there was no need to inject
that insult against me.

First off, if you think that you, of all people (or any of the low-IQ
iKooks) can possibly insult me by your DK claims of "higher intelligence",
then that's _another_ clear indication that your mind doesn't process at the
basic adult cognitive skills level.

But more importantly, what I own is the confidence of a vastly greater
education than you have, nospam; hence, I'm well aware of the myriad things
that I do not know about - where you're quite different as you are clearly
to the left of the first DK quartile - in that you don't know what I know
about what I don't know (and what you clearly don't know).

Everything you injected in that sentence, tells me more about you - than me.
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted people daily gather to voluntarily help others.
Except nospam who is here simply to infest every conversation with his crap.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<1qae6ga4vyptg.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31099&group=comp.mobile.android#31099

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 21:32:39 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 02:32 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> going to happen. I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
> but I see no way to forward it to my email address. I can always type
> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.

If you use a carrier that has text-to-email (SMS to SMTP), you'd have
what you want. Some PBX-like services has this service. For example,
in the USA, you can get Google Voice (for free) that has this option.
That's how I get most of my texts. That way, I can get them as e-mails
wherever I can access my e-mail, not just on a phone.

Instead of trying to use an app on your phone to get a text and then
retransmit it as an e-mail, use a phone service that does it upstream of
your phone. I'm sure other similar services has the same option. If
you don't like Google, can't get their Voice service (not available
outside the USA), or want support then try another PBX-like phone
service. You could find others by online searching on "google voice
alternative". Add "free" if you want to bias the search results to free
phone services. The problem is finding an alternative that all the same
features as Google Voice, but are also free like Google Voice. How long
Google Voice stays free is unknown since it competes with Google Fi, and
Google is well known for killing "experimental" services that have been
available for many years (see https://killedbygoogle.com/). I expect
one day I'll have to pay for Google Voice, get switching to payware
Google Fi, switch to Ooma (and probably more than their free tier), or
someone else. I've had a Google account probably since around 1998
(after MS acquired Hotmail, and I wasn't sure what would happen with
that service), but Google Voice since around 2017. First I had just the
GV account, and used the Hangouts app with the ancilliary Hangouts
Dialer (to add a dialer to Hangouts) to use GV on my phone, and late
2017 bought an Obitalk 200 to connect all my wired and cordless phones
at home to my GV account (I looked at Ooma at the time, but Obi was
quite a bit cheaper at the time).

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t42gnn$19gc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31100&group=comp.mobile.android#31100

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 04:38:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 03:38 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> The problem is finding an alternative that all the same
> features as Google Voice, but are also free like Google Voice.

To strive to add technical value where I can, please see also:
*Is there a viable free alternative to Google Voice in the USA?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/hT3Ci2VuKkE/>

*google voice ring sound*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/wA0kLtl3ORI/>

> (I looked at Ooma at the time, but Obi was quite a bit cheaper at the time).

I've had the $100 Costco Ooma Telo for, oh, I don't know, maybe ten years.

The cost is about $5/month for taxes & fees (mine is set to Kansas which is
where those taxes were the lowest, as I recall at the time).

Personally, I'm ready to ditch that damn Oooma as my WISP Internet
connection comes from six miles away over the air, so my jitter is too great
for Oooma to work without garbling at least once in any decently long
conversation.
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted people daily gather to voluntarily help others.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t42if6$2j9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31104&group=comp.mobile.android#31104

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 21:08:04 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 04:08 UTC

On 04/23/2022 08:38 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> The problem is finding an alternative that all the same
>> features as Google Voice, but are also free like Google Voice.
>
> To strive to add technical value where I can, please see also:
> *Is there a viable free alternative to Google Voice in the USA?*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/hT3Ci2VuKkE/>
>
> *google voice ring sound*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/wA0kLtl3ORI/>
>
>> (I looked at Ooma at the time, but Obi was quite a bit cheaper at the time).
>
> I've had the $100 Costco Ooma Telo for, oh, I don't know, maybe ten years.

It was $80 when we got ours and they gave us a year of the upgrade
service for free. We didn't think it was worth paying for, but we love
the Ooma basic service which is $5.50 or so in Kalifornia. We bought a
$50 Sentry2 device, which eliminates robocalls and most spam calls.
Best $50 we ever spent.

> The cost is about $5/month for taxes & fees (mine is set to Kansas which is
> where those taxes were the lowest, as I recall at the time).
>
> Personally, I'm ready to ditch that damn Oooma as my WISP Internet
> connection comes from six miles away over the air, so my jitter is too great
> for Oooma to work without garbling at least once in any decently long
> conversation.

Back to my original problem -- the text message was actually a voice
message AND a text transcription thereof. Long-pressing allowed me to
forward the message TO OTHER PHONE NUMBERS, but not to any email.
Accordingly, I forwarded it to my google voice number, from which
website I could then email it to my other account and then save it to
the 'folder' on my computer where I wanted it archived. It really looks
ugly, but it was better than retyping the text on my computer while
reading it from the phone.

I really hate doing actual communication on the phone. If I had a
normal account I might not complain, but there's no way even the
cheapest 'regular' account is worth what it costs. It's an
easy-to-carry camera with rarely-used calling/wifi capability. $10/year
is the right price.

--
Cheers, Bev
"In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<eedfji-ggk9.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31106&group=comp.mobile.android#31106

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:13:34 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:13 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> going to happen. I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
> but I see no way to forward it to my email address. I can always type
> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.

You can bypass your mobile completely by having a VOIP number which is
a mobile number and redirecting SMS from there to your E-Mail.

This is what I do (in the UK), I have a 'mobile' number starting 07
which is actually a VOIP number and messages to that number arrive in
my E-Mail.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43dbr$j53$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31109&group=comp.mobile.android#31109

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 07:47:19 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:47 UTC

"The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote

| There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
| send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
| going to happen.

Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I
just tell people that if they text me I'll never see it,
because the number they're calling is a landline. :)
You could also just tell people that you don't text.

I've noticed that lately people just assume all
phones are cellphones and that all cellphones are
constantly in use. And now they're not even getting
error messages to tell them they're trying to text
a landline. But like a dog trying to fuck a cat, they'll
figure it out eventually without my help.

On the bright side, spam is increasing on cellphones
and many people have begun to wean themselves off
the addiction, so that one can no longer assume a text
will be read soon. Therefore their role is becoming less
important.

I have a Tracfone cellphone but don't turn it on regularly
and never check texts when I do. I don't even know
the number offhand, so no friends have that number
unless they record it when I call. I find the only way to
avoid being constantly harassed by idiocy is to be a
stickler: If someone texts, make sure it won't work.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<jckua4FneqkU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31110&group=comp.mobile.android#31110

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 13:32:04 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:32 UTC

On 24/04/2022 09:13, Chris Green wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
>> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
>> going to happen. I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
>> but I see no way to forward it to my email address. I can always type
>> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.
>>
> You can bypass your mobile completely by having a VOIP number which is
> a mobile number and redirecting SMS from there to your E-Mail.
>
> This is what I do (in the UK), I have a 'mobile' number starting 07
> which is actually a VOIP number and messages to that number arrive in
> my E-Mail.

Nice one! Does that allow you to *send* text messages as well?

--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<jckuovFni3vU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31111&group=comp.mobile.android#31111

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 13:39:59 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:39 UTC

On 23/04/2022 23:40, The Real Bev wrote:
> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2.  I wish people would
> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> going to happen.  I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
> but I see no way to forward it to my email address.  I can always type
> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.

No need for any re-typing! My method isn't automatic, but it just might
work for you.

I pair my (Android) phone with my (Windows) computer, which allows me to
send and receive texts from the computer. [It's far easier to type them
on a computer keyboard]

So all text messages end up on my screen. When I wish to save one on my
computer I simply copy and paste the text into an email and send it to
myself.

Might be a pain to do it for *every* text, but for the occasional one it
works fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43mos$omn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31112&group=comp.mobile.android#31112

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:27:40 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:27 UTC

Am 24.04.22 um 13:47 schrieb Mayayana:
> "The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
> | send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> | going to happen.
>
> Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I
> just tell people that if they text me I'll never see it,
> because the number they're calling is a landline. :)
> You could also just tell people that you don't text.

That is simply outdated. Today's IP-telephony allows SMS. I can do it
almost 10 years now.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<240420221029551404%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31113&group=comp.mobile.android#31113

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:29:55 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:29 UTC

In article <t43dbr$j53$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I
> just tell people that if they text me I'll never see it,
> because the number they're calling is a landline. :)

some landlines accept texts by converting it to speech and calling.

you've mentioned verizon before, which means although you wouldn't see
the text, you would hear it.
<https://www.verizon.com/support/text-to-landline-faqs/>

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43n1c$omn$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31116&group=comp.mobile.android#31116

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:32:12 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:32 UTC

Am 24.04.22 um 16:29 schrieb nospam:
> In article <t43dbr$j53$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
> <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I
>> just tell people that if they text me I'll never see it,
>> because the number they're calling is a landline. :)
>
> some landlines accept texts by converting it to speech and calling.

Not needed with IP-networks.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43np5$1kst$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31117&group=comp.mobile.android#31117

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:45:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:45 UTC

Roger Mills wrote:

> I pair my (Android) phone with my (Windows) computer, which allows me to
> send and receive texts from the computer. [It's far easier to type them
> on a computer keyboard]

As Roger Mills stated, it's trivial to set up the Android phone to "mirror"
onto Windows for free using a variety of tools, such as I'm doing right now.
<https://i.postimg.cc/N0G1TXcZ/scrcpy01.jpg> Mirror Android on any PC

> So all text messages end up on my screen. When I wish to save one on my
> computer I simply copy and paste the text into an email and send it to
> myself.

Since each Usenet post should add additional value, tools which are said to
work well by pairing Android with Windows were discussed here & elsewhere:

*What do you use to mirror & control your Android phone on Windows using the keyboard & mouse?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/eMYBmpq2H50>
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43o7o$3ge$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31118&group=comp.mobile.android#31118

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 07:52:39 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:52 UTC

On 4/24/2022 1:13 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
>> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
>> going to happen. I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
>> but I see no way to forward it to my email address. I can always type
>> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.
>>
> You can bypass your mobile completely by having a VOIP number which is
> a mobile number and redirecting SMS from there to your E-Mail.
>
> This is what I do (in the UK), I have a 'mobile' number starting 07
> which is actually a VOIP number and messages to that number arrive in
> my E-Mail.

That's what I do with Google Voice. Years ago I ported my main mobile
number to Google Voice. Now I can get SMS, voice mail, and voice mail
transcriptions on any phone and on my computer. It's especially nice to
have if you're traveling internationally and using a data-only prepaid
SIM (or eSIM) or even a prepaid SIM with an actual phone number.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43pdm$etb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31120&group=comp.mobile.android#31120

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:12:52 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:12 UTC

On 4/24/2022 4:47 AM, Mayayana wrote:

<snip>

> I've noticed that lately people just assume all
> phones are cellphones and that all cellphones are
> constantly in use. And now they're not even getting
> error messages to tell them they're trying to text
> a landline. But like a dog trying to fuck a cat, they'll
> figure it out eventually without my help.

In the U.S., most of the people that still have landlines have migrated
them to a VOIP service, either from their broadband provider, from a
company like Ooma, MagicJack, or using a Polycom Obi SIP adapter with
Google Voice. SMS works on most of these. Unfortunately, Ooma does not
support SMS for residential accounts, only for business accounts.

For example "Now included with its Xfinity Voice Unlimited Nationwide'
plan, customers can enjoy free text messaging from the Xfinity Mobile
app for Apple® and Android™-powered smartphones, iPads® and iPod touch®
devices, as well as the ability to receive transcribed voicemail
messages that can be read instantly." This is from 2012. Magicjack
launched SMS in 2015.

It's not difficult to do SMS forwarding on Android, there are multiple
apps, both on Google Play and on F-Droid. Forward to a Google Voice
number and the SMS can be read in e-mail.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<o48gji-3obb.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31123&group=comp.mobile.android#31123

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:49:12 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:49 UTC

Roger Mills <mills37.fslife@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 09:13, Chris Green wrote:
> > The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
> >> send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> >> going to happen. I want to KEEP the text in the message on my computer,
> >> but I see no way to forward it to my email address. I can always type
> >> it, of course, but that just seems WRONG.
> >>
> > You can bypass your mobile completely by having a VOIP number which is
> > a mobile number and redirecting SMS from there to your E-Mail.
> >
> > This is what I do (in the UK), I have a 'mobile' number starting 07
> > which is actually a VOIP number and messages to that number arrive in
> > my E-Mail.
> >

> Nice one! Does that allow you to *send* text messages as well?

Yes, it does actually. There's a web form you can use or you can
configure something to send from a PC.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<k68gji-3obb.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31124&group=comp.mobile.android#31124

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:50:12 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:50 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 24.04.22 um 13:47 schrieb Mayayana:
> > "The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote
> >
> > | There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
> > | send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> > | going to happen.
> >
> > Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I
> > just tell people that if they text me I'll never see it,
> > because the number they're calling is a landline. :)
> > You could also just tell people that you don't text.
>
> That is simply outdated. Today's IP-telephony allows SMS. I can do it
> almost 10 years now.

Yes, but try and persuade most banks and other institutions of that,
no chance!

--
Chris Green
·

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43sss$b0l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31125&group=comp.mobile.android#31125

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:12:23 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:12 UTC

"sms" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote

| In the U.S., most of the people that still have landlines have migrated
| them to a VOIP service, either from their broadband provider

Either way, my landline phone is just a phone. There's
no screen to show a text. And anyway, I'm talking about how
to avoid texts, not how to get them. :)

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43tag$eal$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31126&group=comp.mobile.android#31126

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:19:27 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:19 UTC

On 4/24/2022 8:50 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Am 24.04.22 um 13:47 schrieb Mayayana:
>>> "The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I
>>> just tell people that if they text me I'll never see it,
>>> because the number they're calling is a landline. :)
>>> You could also just tell people that you don't text.
>>
>> That is simply outdated. Today's IP-telephony allows SMS. I can do it
>> almost 10 years now.
>>
> Yes, but try and persuade most banks and other institutions of that,
> no chance!

I've only found a couple of banks and credit unions that refuse to do
SMS to VOIP and they usually have a workaround.

Yesterday I was adding a credit card to Google Pay and for some reason
this one bank makes it extremely difficult to set up Google Pay or
Android Pay with their card. Perhaps they don't want you to actually use
mobile wallet because they give 3% cash back on mobile wallet charges.
But they had no issue with sending a code to my Google Voice number. In
fact that's the only number that they have on file so it's the only
number they'll send to.

Re: forwarding text messages to an email address?

<t43uv8$rar$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31128&group=comp.mobile.android#31128

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:47:34 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:47 UTC

On 04/24/2022 04:47 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | There seems to be no way to do it with the Pixel2. I wish people would
> | send actual email instead of text messages, but that's probably not
> | going to happen.
>
> Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I
> just tell people that if they text me I'll never see it,
> because the number they're calling is a landline. :)
> You could also just tell people that you don't text.

I do when possible, but the recent flurry was caused by the death of a
friend and messages from his family. I didn't want to add to their burden.

> I've noticed that lately people just assume all
> phones are cellphones and that all cellphones are
> constantly in use. And now they're not even getting
> error messages to tell them they're trying to text
> a landline. But like a dog trying to fuck a cat, they'll
> figure it out eventually without my help.

Not necessarily. They'll probably just figure that you don't check your
messages or -- worse -- that you're deliberately ignoring them. I don't
see how people can read or write complex stuff on their phones. It
looks so EASY when other people do thumb typing.

> On the bright side, spam is increasing on cellphones
> and many people have begun to wean themselves off
> the addiction, so that one can no longer assume a text
> will be read soon. Therefore their role is becoming less
> important.

T-Mobile provides a spam-blocking function, but it's only easy for
normal postpaid accounts. It wouldn't work with my prepaid account and
I had to call customer service to have them do remotely what normal
people could do themselves. It seems to have worked. I didn't get
many, but I was resentful about receiving ANY of them because I have to
pay for each one individually.

> I have a Tracfone cellphone but don't turn it on regularly
> and never check texts when I do. I don't even know
> the number offhand, so no friends have that number
> unless they record it when I call. I find the only way to
> avoid being constantly harassed by idiocy is to be a
> stickler: If someone texts, make sure it won't work.

I don't mind receiving 'emergency' texts, but I really hate chit-chat.
That's what email is for!