From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Retained Posts
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:08:11 -0500
 by: Tony Cooper - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 23:08 UTC

When using Agent 7.06 on a Windows10 computer, are the posts stored
anywhere on the computer?

If so, can they be accessed (read) when Agent is not open?

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Re: Retained Posts

<libhug99gb23n4jundagver5co4l094eq1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3114&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3114

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Retained Posts
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:39:14 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 00:39 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:08:11 -0500, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>When using Agent 7.06 on a Windows10 computer, are the posts stored
>anywhere on the computer?
>
>If so, can they be accessed (read) when Agent is not open?

<BLINK><BLINK>

Unless you configured it to only download message bodies when you open
the message, they should be available. The first versions of Agent came out
when one paid by the connect-minute over slow dial-up so normal procedure
was to grab everything and log-off, then spend the rest of the day reading
and queuing responses to be sent the next time one logged on.

My normal configuration is to download headers & message bodies in one
sweep. Options for PURGING control how long messages tend to stay local.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Retained Posts

<acihugdv581pf054hq9utcm5jc5o9tqg93@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3115&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3115

From: art...@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:35:57 -0500
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 02:35 UTC

In Message-ID:<776hugdpp8hme0bi2m2f68evi9c74bikqs@4ax.com>,
Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>When using Agent 7.06 on a Windows10 computer, are the posts stored
>anywhere on the computer?

As Dennis said, yes, they're on your computer.

>If so, can they be accessed (read) when Agent is not open?

Accessed and read? Yes. Understood? Not so much.

Agent uses its own file formats for the data and indices. If you want
to read them, you'll want Agent open to read them, but you don't need
to be online. If you're worried about data forensics, the text is all
there and people with sufficient motivation will be able to read it.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: Retained Posts

<u1qhugp2ek9mbt746k80vmj9489t4is8f5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3116&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3116

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:03:06 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 05:03 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:08:11 -0500, Tony Cooper wrote:

> When using Agent 7.06 on a Windows10 computer, are the posts stored
> anywhere on the computer?

Yes (provided you have downloaded the post itself and not only headers).
That is, when there is a page icon in the 'Status' column for that post.

Select a group in Agent's Desks and Folders pane, and go to
"(select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Name and Scheme".

At the bottom of the "Name and Scheme" panel you will see the paths
to that group's .IDX and .DAT files. All the posts for that group
are stored in those two files.

> If so, can they be accessed (read) when Agent is not open?

Not easily, no.

The two files, .IDX and .DAT, are binary files.
The posts are not stored in individual text messages.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε

Re: Retained Posts

<co1mug9bp94edit430c17jkn03sgj4n47p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3122&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3122

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:18:38 +0000
 by: John - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:18 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:03:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:08:11 -0500, Tony Cooper wrote:
>
>> When using Agent 7.06 on a Windows10 computer, are the posts stored
>> anywhere on the computer?
>
>Yes (provided you have downloaded the post itself and not only headers).
>That is, when there is a page icon in the 'Status' column for that post.
>
>Select a group in Agent's Desks and Folders pane, and go to
>"(select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Name and Scheme".
>
>At the bottom of the "Name and Scheme" panel you will see the paths
>to that group's .IDX and .DAT files. All the posts for that group
>are stored in those two files.
>

>> If so, can they be accessed (read) when Agent is not open?
>
>Not easily, no.
>
>The two files, .IDX and .DAT, are binary files.
>The posts are not stored in individual text messages.

One can, should it be desired, click on a message [or loads of them]
to highlight it, then on "File" in the menu bar, then "Save Message"
to archive messages as text files.

Those can then be read by just about everything from Notepad up.

Without Agent running.

I used to do that with helpful tips I wanted to save and for my own
beautiful messages that were so full of wit, wisdom and brilliance.

I rarely bother any more. :)

J.