An engineer is someone who does list processing in FORTRAN.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

SubjectAuthor
* "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"sms
+- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"nospam
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Wilf
> [...]
||| `* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Mayayana
|||  `- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Carlos E. R.
||`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Frank Slootweg
|| `* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"AJL
||  `- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Frank Slootweg
|+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Rod Speed
||`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"JF Mezei
|| `* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"sms
||  `- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"JF Mezei
|+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Chris
|`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"sms
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Joerg Lorenz
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"badgolferman
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Carlos E. R.
+- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Andy Burns
`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"badgolferman

Pages:1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132
Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<t419kb$4te$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31070&group=comp.mobile.android#31070

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 09:31:05 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:31 UTC

On 4/23/2022 8:35 AM, Chris in Makati wrote:

<snip>

> One reason is if you hold a Network Railcard, which gives you 1/3
> discount on trains in the UK, you can link it to your Oyster card and
> get the discount on Underground and Overground trains in London. You
> can't do that with debit or credit cards.

True. But doesn't that work with an Oyster Card loaded onto the phone as
well as a physical Oyster Card?

> Also, maybe parents might prefer to give their kids an Oyster card
> rather than risk letting them have a bank debit card.

I think that for 11-15, 16-17, 18+ students, and seniors, that you need
a specific Oyster Card in order to get the discounted fares, you can't
get those discounts by paying with a credit card directly.

In my area, one advantage of physical transit cards, versus those stored
on phones, is that most people are using public transit only
occasionally, so the cards can be shared, but you still get the
discounted fares that you don't get when you buy a single ticket with
cash or credit card. Sometimes the fare discounts are substantial, one
ferry service that we've used occasionally is $13.50 without a transit
card, $8.50 with a transit card. I think that they do this to gouge the
tourists that use the ferry for sightseeing.

Employers that are subsidizing mass transit will issue physical cards to
employees and the employees can't manage these cards or transfer them to
their phones. I used to have to go to San Francisco for meetings about
once a month. It was more practical to take the train, with a bicycle,
due to traffic, but it was a hassle to submit expense reports for $15
worth of fares, so I had my admin get some transit cards for employees
to use.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<t41ba0$i0q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31071&group=comp.mobile.android#31071

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 09:59:42 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:59 UTC

On 4/23/2022 9:31 AM, sms wrote:

> I think that for 11-15, 16-17, 18+ students, and seniors, that you need
> a specific Oyster Card in order to get the discounted fares, you can't
> get those discounts by paying with a credit card directly.

This site <https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard_oyster.htm>
gives a good explanation of all the various fares and card types.

Especially interesting, given this thread, is the difference between
"Visitor Oyster Cards" and regular Oyster Cards.

The Visitor Oyster Cards have some drawbacks, as well as being more
expensive with no refund of the initial cost by returning it when you're
through with it, but there could be some discounts that some visitors
might take advantage of, see
<https://groundline.com/jart/prj3/groundline/images/img-db/1445004704515.pdf>.

I think that the person claiming that Oyster Cards can't be purchased in
person in London was confusing the Visitor Oyster Card with a regular
Oyster Card. It's true that the Visitor Oyster Card needs to be
purchased in advance and be mailed to you, though they are also sold in
the UK in a few places outside London (Gatwick Airport, Stansted
Airport, and on board Eurostar trains to London.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<ajn86h9ne5gi20qesjr1ok021grvtm03vj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31079&group=comp.mobile.android#31079

From: mai...@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 21:34:20 +0100
References: <t3k1t8$dqe$1@dont-email.me> <ed4r5hpnmg8gvm9bm8d5130csjkm2hrvef@4ax.com> <t3kbod$qhi$1@dont-email.me> <eqd06hdgfk9v323p00q8jv04r6r7hk05pg@4ax.com> <slrnt60k60.2ttb.g.kreme@zephyrus.local> <9s226hp7h4rbv6brnbkpc7s01ul496u76i@4ax.com> <t3rtod$bus$1@dont-email.me> <slrnt63hh1.2vm7.g.kreme@zephyrus.local> <t3tjn1$2l2$1@dont-email.me> <t3u97s$9ds$1@dont-email.me> <t3v9et$e7c$1@dont-email.me> <k3786hlbuu7asgourkoqcnucbu2molugh8@4ax.com> <t419kb$4te$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Chris in Makati - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 20:34 UTC

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 09:31:05 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 4/23/2022 8:35 AM, Chris in Makati wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> One reason is if you hold a Network Railcard, which gives you 1/3
>> discount on trains in the UK, you can link it to your Oyster card and
>> get the discount on Underground and Overground trains in London. You
>> can't do that with debit or credit cards.
>
>True. But doesn't that work with an Oyster Card loaded onto the phone as
>well as a physical Oyster Card?

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a virtual Oyster card that
you can load onto a phone. The physical card is the only option
available.

I've often thought it would be a good idea as I'd prefer not to have
to carry the plastic card around with me.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<op.1k3k8xx9c5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31080&group=comp.mobile.android#31080

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 07:42:23 +1000
 by: Jock - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 21:42 UTC

On Sun, 24 Apr 2022 06:34:20 +1000, Chris in Makati <mail@nospam.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 09:31:05 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/23/2022 8:35 AM, Chris in Makati wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> One reason is if you hold a Network Railcard, which gives you 1/3
>>> discount on trains in the UK, you can link it to your Oyster card and
>>> get the discount on Underground and Overground trains in London. You
>>> can't do that with debit or credit cards.
>>
>> True. But doesn't that work with an Oyster Card loaded onto the phone as
>> well as a physical Oyster Card?

> As far as I know, there's no such thing as a virtual Oyster card that
> you can load onto a phone. The physical card is the only option
> available.

Most public transport systems allow any card and apple pay and google pay
now.

> I've often thought it would be a good idea as I'd prefer not to have
> to carry the plastic card around with me.

I do carry a few physical cards so that I can use one if I manage
to leave the phone in the car by accident etc.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<t41uvs$e23$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31083&group=comp.mobile.android#31083

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:35:37 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:35 UTC

On 4/23/2022 2:42 PM, Jock wrote:

<snip>

> Most public transport systems allow any card and apple pay and google
> pay now.

Not sure what country you're in, but in the U.S. that's certainly not
the case. Some may, but most do not. With the few that do take credit
cards, Apple Pay, and Google Pay directly, you lose some of the benefits
of using a transit card.

What you _can_ do is to load the transit card onto your phone and then
pay with NFC, <https://transit.applepay.apple/san-francisco> and
<https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/google-pay.html>.

In California, LA Metro does not take credit cards, Apple Pay, or Google
Pay, directly, nor do most Bay Area transit agencies. You can pay for
the transit cards with Apple Pay or Google Pay.

Chicago Transit does not accept credit cards, you have to buy a transit
card.

New York MTA doesn't accept credit cards.

MBTA in Boston is rolling out the capability to use Apple Pay, Google
Pay, or contactless credit cards in 2022.

MARTA in Atlanta does not take credit card payments. SEPTA in
Philadelphia does not take credit card payments.

Metrorail in Miami does accept credit card payment of fares.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<slrnt68vu7.2d2f.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31084&group=comp.mobile.android#31084

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:37:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:37 UTC

In message <t419kb$4te$1@dont-email.me> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 4/23/2022 8:35 AM, Chris in Makati wrote:

> <snip>

>> One reason is if you hold a Network Railcard, which gives you 1/3
>> discount on trains in the UK, you can link it to your Oyster card and
>> get the discount on Underground and Overground trains in London. You
>> can't do that with debit or credit cards.

> True. But doesn't that work with an Oyster Card loaded onto the phone as
> well as a physical Oyster Card?

For someone who claims to know abut Oyster cards, you continue to prove
you know nothing at all.

Of course, this pattern fits nearly everything you post about.

There is no such thing as "an Oyster Card loaded onto the phone".

--
She hated everything that predestined people, that fooled them, that
made them slightly less than human. --Witches Abroad

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<t444e2$9uj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31137&group=comp.mobile.android#31137

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:20:47 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:20 UTC

On 4/23/2022 1:34 PM, Chris in Makati wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 09:31:05 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/23/2022 8:35 AM, Chris in Makati wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> One reason is if you hold a Network Railcard, which gives you 1/3
>>> discount on trains in the UK, you can link it to your Oyster card and
>>> get the discount on Underground and Overground trains in London. You
>>> can't do that with debit or credit cards.
>>
>> True. But doesn't that work with an Oyster Card loaded onto the phone as
>> well as a physical Oyster Card?
>
> As far as I know, there's no such thing as a virtual Oyster card that
> you can load onto a phone. The physical card is the only option
> available.
>
> I've often thought it would be a good idea as I'd prefer not to have
> to carry the plastic card around with me.

Yes, my mistake. My local transit agencies support virtual transit cards
so those people entitled to discounted fares can still get them even
when using their phone. But you have to choose between physical and
virtual. You can't have the virtual and physical card active at the same
time, and you can't put the virtual card on multiple devices.

For non-discounted fares you could just add a new card to your phone and
have two cards.

For discounted fares (youth, senior, etc.) they won't issue you a second
discount card though it might be possible to do depending on how much
effort you put into it.

Pages:1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132