God requireth not a uniformity of religion. -- Roger Williams

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.

SubjectAuthor
* Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.Big Al
+* Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.Yrrah
|`* Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.Big Al
| `- Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.Yrrah
`* Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.Alan Smithee
 `- Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.Big Al

1
Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.

<suo87t$f8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2958&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2958

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 08:50:51 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:50 UTC

When I look at a folder of mixed document formats, they all say "Document".
This goes for other file types like image and audio.

I'd like to know if there is a way to edit some table to change .odt files from Document to 'LO Docuemnt'
??

Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.

<vlhv0h1u2o02h3pk1joat95io20qns666k@net.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2967

From: Yrrah-a...@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 17:32:45 +0100
 by: Yrrah - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:32 UTC

Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>:
> When I look at a folder of mixed document formats, they all say "Document".
> This goes for other file types like image and audio.
>
> I'd like to know if there is a way to edit some table to change .odt files from Document to 'LO Docuemnt'
> ??

Not to my knowledge. However, if you check 'MIME Type' in the 'Preferences /
List Colums', you get more detailed file type info in an additional column, but
not more than the file extension tells you. So why bother?

Yrrah

Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.

<suolut$dip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2971&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2971

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 12:45:01 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 17:45 UTC

On 2/18/22 11:32, this is what Yrrah wrote:
> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>:
>
>> When I look at a folder of mixed document formats, they all say "Document".
>> This goes for other file types like image and audio.
>>
>> I'd like to know if there is a way to edit some table to change .odt files from Document to 'LO Docuemnt'
>> ??
>
> Not to my knowledge. However, if you check 'MIME Type' in the 'Preferences /
> List Colums', you get more detailed file type info in an additional column, but
> not more than the file extension tells you. So why bother?
>
> Yrrah
I tried that and it's a bit wordy but it does what I kinda want. All the music, mp3,ogg,wav etc will now sort by that column. The wordy
and size is my issue. I'd like 'audio-mp3', 'audio-ogg' etc More user friendly file types.

Oh well, it's just a question and not an issue.

THanks. Yrrah

Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.

<h1r11h56n4d3c1qvmof7mao39uqe9o7kla@net.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3002&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3002

From: Yrrah-a...@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:20:55 +0100
 by: Yrrah - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:20 UTC

Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>:

> >> When I look at a folder of mixed document formats, they all say "Document".
> >> This goes for other file types like image and audio.
> >>
> >> I'd like to know if there is a way to edit some table to change .odt files from Document to 'LO Docuemnt'

> > Not to my knowledge. However, if you check 'MIME Type' in the 'Preferences /
> > List Colums', you get more detailed file type info in an additional column, but
> > not more than the file extension tells you. So why bother?

> I tried that and it's a bit wordy but it does what I kinda want. All the music, mp3,ogg,wav etc will now sort by that column. The wordy
> and size is my issue. I'd like 'audio-mp3', 'audio-ogg' etc More user friendly file types.

That's because MIME Type indicates both the nature (e.g. video) and the format.
(e.g. matroska) of the file.
BTW, you don't need the 'Type' column if you've checked 'MIME Type' in Nemo's
preferences. Or you could use Double Commander. That file manager has a separate
file extension column. I prefer a MIME Type (nature/format) column.

(DC: https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/ )

Yrrah

Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.

<svjl3r$1sjp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3113&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3113

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 19:16:11 -0400
 by: Alan Smithee - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 23:16 UTC

On 02/18/2022 09:50 AM, Big Al wrote:
> When I look at a folder of mixed document formats, they all say "Document".
> This goes for other file types like image and audio.
>
> I'd like to know if there is a way to edit some table to change .odt
> files from Document to 'LO Docuemnt' ??

Not sure if this helps but can you install Konqueror? That's what I use
on XFCE and it shows the correct formats.

Re: Type field in Nemo - Change names of file types.

<svk4mp$j7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3114&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3114

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 22:42:16 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 03:42 UTC

On 2/28/22 18:16, this is what Alan Smithee wrote:
> On 02/18/2022 09:50 AM, Big Al wrote:
>> When I look at a folder of mixed document formats, they all say "Document".
>> This goes for other file types like image and audio.
>>
>> I'd like to know if there is a way to edit some table to change .odt
>> files from Document to 'LO Docuemnt' ??
>

> Not sure if this helps but can you install Konqueror? That's what I use on XFCE and it shows the correct formats.

Thanks, but it's not that big of an issue. But thanks, I'll keep as a tidbit of info to try. I may load XFCE in a vm.