Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port

SubjectAuthor
* $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging portNewsKrawler
+* Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-Asms
|`- Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging portAndy Burnelli
`* Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging portMajorLanGod
 `* Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-Asms
  `- Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging portMajorLanGod

1
$79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port

<t43ug7$3i9vn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31127&group=comp.mobile.android#31127

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:39:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:39 UTC

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/22/23037872/anker-736-gan-charger-100w-usb-c
The $79 Anker Nano II 100W uses GaN tech to provide two USB-C ports capable
of outputting up to 100W, plus an old school USB-A charging port.

According to Anker, the Nano II 100W is 34 percent smaller than Apple's 96W
charger, with similar capabilities plus two extra ports that help you reduce
the number of items you'll need to keep all of your devices powered up. One
other plus is that its fast charging is compatible with a wide array of
devices, with USB Power Delivery 3.0 PPS (programmable power standard), and
Quick Charge 3.0 support.

The caveat with this charger is that its USB-C ports are capable of up to
100W power output - but that's only true when you have one device plugged
into one of them.

Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port

<t444u1$djn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31138&group=comp.mobile.android#31138

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A
charging port
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:29:19 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:29 UTC

On 4/24/2022 9:39 AM, NewsKrawler wrote:
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/22/23037872/anker-736-gan-charger-100w-usb-c
> The $79 Anker Nano II 100W uses GaN tech to provide two USB-C ports capable
> of outputting up to 100W, plus an old school USB-A charging port.
>
> According to Anker, the Nano II 100W is 34 percent smaller than Apple's 96W
> charger, with similar capabilities plus two extra ports that help you reduce
> the number of items you'll need to keep all of your devices powered up. One
> other plus is that its fast charging is compatible with a wide array of
> devices, with USB Power Delivery 3.0 PPS (programmable power standard), and
> Quick Charge 3.0 support.
>
> The caveat with this charger is that its USB-C ports are capable of up to
> 100W power output - but that's only true when you have one device plugged
> into one of them.

That's the reality with the ratings on most multi-output USB-C chargers,
they'll tell you the maximum wattage per port plus the maximum total
wattage.

The best deal on a multi-USB-C output 100 watt GaN charger at this point
is this one:
<https://www.ugreen.com/products/100w-3c1a-gan-fast-charger>. $51.99. I
have one. I use it for phones, tablets, and a Lenovo laptop with a 20V
4.0x1.7mm Power PD Charge Cable. I'm also fabricating a cord for my
Philips electric razor using a 15V emulator. I should only need to carry
one charger on trips from now on, but several cables.

Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port

<XnsAE83AB76A453Elonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31151&group=comp.mobile.android#31151

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:51:19 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:51 UTC

NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote in

> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/22/23037872/anker-736-gan-charger-100w-
> usb-c The $79 Anker Nano II 100W uses GaN tech to provide two USB-C
> ports capable of outputting up to 100W, plus an old school USB-A
> charging port.
>
> According to Anker, the Nano II 100W is 34 percent smaller than
> Apple's 96W charger, with similar capabilities plus two extra ports
> that help you reduce the number of items you'll need to keep all of
> your devices powered up. One other plus is that its fast charging is
> compatible with a wide array of devices, with USB Power Delivery 3.0
> PPS (programmable power standard), and Quick Charge 3.0 support.
>
> The caveat with this charger is that its USB-C ports are capable of up
> to 100W power output - but that's only true when you have one device
> plugged into one of them.

If you don't need all 100w of output, Amazon sells a 60watt AsN charger
with only a USB C port for $39. I bought one mainly to charge my Renogy
Phoenix 300 Power bank (they call it a Power Generator, but let's be
honest-it's just a honkin big power bank with an inverter attached.)

Something to remember is that not all cables are able to handle that much
current, so make sure any cables you use with the charger are rated for
the current you expect to draw. I'm assuming it's a matter of wire gauge
in the cables. After all, it takes a lot less copper to cary ten or
twenty watts 2-4 amps) than one hundred watts (20 amps).

Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port

<t44l8m$1nds$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31155&group=comp.mobile.android#31155

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 00:08:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:08 UTC

sms wrote:

>> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/22/23037872/anker-736-gan-charger-100w-usb-c
>> The $79 Anker Nano II 100W uses GaN tech to provide two USB-C ports capable
>> of outputting up to 100W, plus an old school USB-A charging port.
>>
>> According to Anker, the Nano II 100W is 34 percent smaller than Apple's 96W
>> charger, with similar capabilities plus two extra ports that help you reduce
>> the number of items you'll need to keep all of your devices powered up. One
>> other plus is that its fast charging is compatible with a wide array of
>> devices, with USB Power Delivery 3.0 PPS (programmable power standard), and
>> Quick Charge 3.0 support.
>>
>> The caveat with this charger is that its USB-C ports are capable of up to
>> 100W power output - but that's only true when you have one device plugged
>> into one of them.
>
> That's the reality with the ratings on most multi-output USB-C chargers,
> they'll tell you the maximum wattage per port plus the maximum total
> wattage.
>
> The best deal on a multi-USB-C output 100 watt GaN charger at this point
> is this one:
> <https://www.ugreen.com/products/100w-3c1a-gan-fast-charger>. $51.99. I
> have one. I use it for phones, tablets, and a Lenovo laptop with a 20V
> 4.0x1.7mm Power PD Charge Cable. I'm also fabricating a cord for my
> Philips electric razor using a 15V emulator. I should only need to carry
> one charger on trips from now on, but several cables.

Thanks for that additional information as I haven't needed to buy a charger
in many years since all my phones (even free ones) have come with one.

But from the responses in this thread, the high power bricks are nice!
It looks like few people would _buy_ a single-port USB charger nowadays.

I've _always_ had multi-port chargers where this rather old one has 5 ports:
<https://i.postimg.cc/FK7RLSby/charging14.jpg>

However, I didn't even realize that what we need, moving forward,
apparently, is a hundred-watt charger for about fifty cents a watt,
with _both_ type USB-C ports and the USB-A ports (I'd take two & two).
<https://www.ugreen.com/products/100w-3c1a-gan-fast-charger>

It's good to know that a decent price is fifty cents a watt nowadays
(which will only get better, faster and cheaper over time most likely).

Thank God Apple is well ahead of the curve on the multi-port multi-size
charging bricks so that we can use just about any cable that we have handy.

Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port

<t456kv$dt2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31157&group=comp.mobile.android#31157

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
charging port
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:04:45 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 04:04 UTC

On 4/24/2022 2:51 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote in
>
>> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/22/23037872/anker-736-gan-charger-100w-
>> usb-c The $79 Anker Nano II 100W uses GaN tech to provide two USB-C
>> ports capable of outputting up to 100W, plus an old school USB-A
>> charging port.
>>
>> According to Anker, the Nano II 100W is 34 percent smaller than
>> Apple's 96W charger, with similar capabilities plus two extra ports
>> that help you reduce the number of items you'll need to keep all of
>> your devices powered up. One other plus is that its fast charging is
>> compatible with a wide array of devices, with USB Power Delivery 3.0
>> PPS (programmable power standard), and Quick Charge 3.0 support.
>>
>> The caveat with this charger is that its USB-C ports are capable of up
>> to 100W power output - but that's only true when you have one device
>> plugged into one of them.
>
> If you don't need all 100w of output, Amazon sells a 60watt AsN charger
> with only a USB C port for $39. I bought one mainly to charge my Renogy
> Phoenix 300 Power bank (they call it a Power Generator, but let's be
> honest-it's just a honkin big power bank with an inverter attached.)
>
> Something to remember is that not all cables are able to handle that much
> current, so make sure any cables you use with the charger are rated for
> the current you expect to draw. I'm assuming it's a matter of wire gauge
> in the cables. After all, it takes a lot less copper to cary ten or
> twenty watts 2-4 amps) than one hundred watts (20 amps).

No it doesn't. Remember, the 100 watts is not 5V@20 amps, it's
20V@5amps. It takes the same amount of copper to carry 5V@5amps as it
does to carry 20V@5amps. The next revision of USB-PD allows for 48V@5A
(240 watts).

Re: $79 Anker Nano II 100W GaN charger with two USB-C & one USB-A charging port

<XnsAE858C6B5FBC4lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31239&group=comp.mobile.android#31239

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:48:13 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:48 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in

> On 4/24/2022 2:51 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>
> No it doesn't. Remember, the 100 watts is not 5V@20 amps, it's
> 20V@5amps. It takes the same amount of copper to carry 5V@5amps as it
> does to carry 20V@5amps. The next revision of USB-PD allows for 48V@5A
> (240 watts).

You are right. I stand corrected on my math, but there has to be a reason
why I see warnings about making sure my cables can handle the extra power.
I can't believe the voltage differnce is the reason.