* joeyh installs debian using only his big toe, for a change of pace -- in #debian-boot

computers / comp.misc / Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

SubjectAuthor
* BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdBen Collver
`* Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdJohn McCue
 +* Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdyeti
 |`- Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdBob Eager
 `* Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdRichard Kettlewell
  +* Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdScott Dorsey
  |`* Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdRichard Kettlewell
  | +* Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdScott Dorsey
  | |`- Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdRichard Kettlewell
  | `* Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdJohn McCue
  |  `- Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdRich
  `- Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemdBen Collver

1
BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<slrnun6ndl.1o9.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3105&group=comp.misc#3105

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 18:20:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 18:20 UTC

New systemd update will bring Windows’ infamous Blue Screen of Death to
Linux

Windows' infamous "Blue Screen of Death" is a bit of a punchline. People
have made a hobby of spotting them out in the wild, and in some circles,
they remain a byword for the supposed flakiness and instability of PCs.
To this day, networked PCs in macOS are represented by beige CRT
monitors displaying a BSOD.

But the BSOD is supposed to be a diagnostic tool, an informational
screen that technicians can use to begin homing in on the problem that
caused the crash in the first place; that old Windows' BSOD error codes
were often so broad and vague as to be useless doesn't make the idea a
bad one. Today, version 255 of the Linux systemd project honors that
original intent by adding a systemd-bsod component that generates a
full-screen display of some error messages when a Linux system crashes.

From: <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/linux-distros-are-about-
to-get-a-killer-windows-feature-the-blue-screen-of-death/>

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<ul01no$1spak$1@tor.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3107&group=comp.misc#3107

From: jmc...@qball.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 21:27:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 21:27 UTC

Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:
> New systemd update will bring Windows? infamous Blue Screen of Death to
> Linux

Well the guy who created systemd and still maintains it
works for Microsoft, so why not.

<snip>

> But the BSOD is supposed to be a diagnostic tool, an informational
> screen that technicians can use to begin homing in on the problem that
> caused the crash in the first place; that old Windows' BSOD error codes
> were often so broad and vague as to be useless doesn't make the idea a
> bad one. Today, version 255 of the Linux systemd project honors that
> original intent by adding a systemd-bsod component that generates a
> full-screen display of some error messages when a Linux system crashes.

An init system crashing is very bad, but I guess this is
needed on Linux due to how complex systemd is. The BSDs
have no need for such a thing since their init(8) is very
simple.

I hope the BSDs can stay far away from all the craziness
going on in Linux Land.

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<878r64xrle.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3109&group=comp.misc#3109

From: yet...@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 22:22:05 +0000
5-s.cF/5tMdha-:]4eBHC9vBXnz4_aNe@d4oijVyix?>pC=tzuQhoD2A8P02+\xO4gNfRBE
`B<kE3T-Gps_d0_6`+0W3E9{D
 by: yeti - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 22:22 UTC

John McCue <jmccue@qball.jmcunx.com> writes:

> I hope the BSDs can stay far away from all the craziness
> going on in Linux Land.

linux.conf.au
The Tragedy of systemd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo&t=1654s

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<kthmr5FoiiaU16@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3112&group=comp.misc#3112

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 8 Dec 2023 23:23:17 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 23:23 UTC

On Fri, 08 Dec 2023 22:22:05 +0000, yeti wrote:

> John McCue <jmccue@qball.jmcunx.com> writes:
>
>> I hope the BSDs can stay far away from all the craziness going on in
>> Linux Land.
>
> linux.conf.au The Tragedy of systemd
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo&t=1654s

For a very small audience, this might be interesting and entertaining...

https://mwl.io/fiction/smut

The first book is "Savaged by Systemd". But it is *far* from what you
might think.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<wwvy1e37ney.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3113&group=comp.misc#3113

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 09:09:09 +0000
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 09:09 UTC

John McCue <jmccue@qball.jmcunx.com> writes:
> Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:
>> New systemd update will bring Windows? infamous Blue Screen of Death to
>> Linux
>
> Well the guy who created systemd and still maintains it
> works for Microsoft, so why not.
>
> <snip>
>
>> But the BSOD is supposed to be a diagnostic tool, an informational
>> screen that technicians can use to begin homing in on the problem that
>> caused the crash in the first place; that old Windows' BSOD error codes
>> were often so broad and vague as to be useless doesn't make the idea a
>> bad one. Today, version 255 of the Linux systemd project honors that
>> original intent by adding a systemd-bsod component that generates a
>> full-screen display of some error messages when a Linux system crashes.
>
> An init system crashing is very bad, but I guess this is needed on
> Linux due to how complex systemd is. The BSDs have no need for such a
> thing since their init(8) is very simple.

Boot failures happen in all systems, and you want some kind of
diagnostic information to debug them (unless you like debugging by
guesswork). systemd-bsod is just another way of displaying log messages
that already exist. It’s nothing to do with systemd’s complexity.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<ul26ks$3g$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3121&group=comp.misc#3121

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 9 Dec 2023 17:03:24 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 17:03 UTC

Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Boot failures happen in all systems, and you want some kind of
>diagnostic information to debug them (unless you like debugging by
>guesswork). systemd-bsod is just another way of displaying log messages
>that already exist. It’s nothing to do with systemd’s complexity.

Doesn't the kernel do that already? Isn't that one of the jobs of the
kernel, to provide diagnostic information in cases of failure?
--scott

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<wwv34wbqfku.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3124&group=comp.misc#3124

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 20:35:45 +0000
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 20:35 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Boot failures happen in all systems, and you want some kind of
>> diagnostic information to debug them (unless you like debugging by
>> guesswork). systemd-bsod is just another way of displaying log
>> messages that already exist. It’s nothing to do with systemd’s
>> complexity.
>
> Doesn't the kernel do that already?

Kernel logs yes, log messages from user processes no.

> Isn't that one of the jobs of the kernel, to provide diagnostic
> information in cases of failure?

Kernel-level failures yes, high-level failures no.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<ul2jvs$8jd$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3125&group=comp.misc#3125

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 9 Dec 2023 20:51:08 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 20:51 UTC

Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> Boot failures happen in all systems, and you want some kind of
>>> diagnostic information to debug them (unless you like debugging by
>>> guesswork). systemd-bsod is just another way of displaying log
>>> messages that already exist. It’s nothing to do with systemd’s
>>> complexity.
>>
>> Doesn't the kernel do that already?
>
>Kernel logs yes, log messages from user processes no.

I thought we were talking about boot failures? Log messages from user
processes get handled by syslog, which systemd has (badly) replaced long
ago. Except for those that handle their logging themselves.

>> Isn't that one of the jobs of the kernel, to provide diagnostic
>> information in cases of failure?
>
>Kernel-level failures yes, high-level failures no.

I'm already annoyed about Ubuntu's stupid popups about errors being
logged as it is.
--scott

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<ul2ndl$2bpcc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3126&group=comp.misc#3126

From: jmc...@qball.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 21:49:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 21:49 UTC

Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
<snip>

> Kernel-level failures yes, high-level failures no.

What would be a high-level failure ?

IIRC, if something happens in the BSDs that prevents
booting, you would be dropped into single user mode
with the appropriate error(s) on the console. Been
a very long time since I had an issue booting BSD.

Not quite sure what this BSOD will do for you, but if I
get real curious I can do WEB searches to find out :)

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<ul3hd5$2itli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3127&group=comp.misc#3127

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 05:13:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 05:13 UTC

John McCue <jmccue@qball.jmcunx.com> wrote:
> Not quite sure what this BSOD will do for you,

Move a systemd Linux system closer to ms-windows, given that the
systemd creator and maintainer now works for Microsoft.

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<wwvmsuiv0f3.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3129&group=comp.misc#3129

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:04:16 +0000
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:04 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>>>
>>> Doesn't the kernel do that already?
>>
>>Kernel logs yes, log messages from user processes no.
>
> I thought we were talking about boot failures?

The Linux boot process includes huge amounts of user-space activity.

> Log messages from user processes get handled by syslog, which systemd
> has (badly) replaced long ago. Except for those that handle their
> logging themselves.

I’m not sure where the confusion is coming from here. Sometimes things
fail at boot time, if that happens then you want to see the
corresponding diagnostics. systemd-bsod is one way to achieve that on a
systemd system.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: BSOD on Linux thanks to systemd

<slrnunbssv.2od.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3132&group=comp.misc#3132

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:24:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:24 UTC

On 2023-12-09, Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> John McCue <jmccue@qball.jmcunx.com> writes:
>> Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:
>>> New systemd update will bring Windows? infamous Blue Screen of Death to
>>> Linux
>>
>> Well the guy who created systemd and still maintains it
>> works for Microsoft, so why not.
>>
>>> But the BSOD is supposed to be a diagnostic tool, an informational
>>
>> An init system crashing is very bad, but I guess this is needed on
>
> Boot failures happen in all systems, and you want some kind of
> diagnostic information to debug them (unless you like debugging by
> guesswork). systemd-bsod is just another way of displaying log messages
> that already exist.

Linux-BSOD diagnostic process: use phone to take picture of screen and
text it to support.

Simplification: Add QR code to BSOD. Then automatically root the phone
through its corporate sponsored browser.