Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 08:59:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How to deal with liars and stego-liars directly.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sun, 1 May 2022 15:59 UTC

The simple maneuver is:

- Keep a list with your allies of people who have given you bad information.
- Collect evidence--good information based on truth--that establishes that you've been lied to.
- Submit the evidence to other possible "info customers" of the bad-guy liars, privately or publicly.
- Recommend that the bad advice dispensers not be given good advice, and that they be de-prioritized for retaliation in case someone gives them bad information.

I recommend doing this specifically for information only, since information about previously unknown things offered to a particular entity has special significance in games of incomplete information.

In short, organizations should seek to form non-illegal "black lists" based on providing bad information to people. You want to gather information about people who have lied to you about important things, and warn others who are more or less on your team, ideologically or competitively, to watch out for these con artists and avoid supplying such bad guys with support.

Don't put people on your "black list" just for competing with you while following the rules. You shouldn't do that even to someone who breaks the rules, unless the entity in question lied. The idea is, you want to metaphorically "stab people in the front" for cheating and breaking rules, and be more of a stealthy backstabber when dealing with liars.

That is one reason why I never lie. I wouldn't want to get caught having lied in the future, given my fairly deep understanding of what happens to liars. I would have no excuse; I understand the dynamic all too well.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)