Sometimes, too long is too long. -- Joe Crowe

computers / comp.mobile.android / Rant about tunein.com

SubjectAuthor
* Rant about tunein.commicky
+* Re: Rant about tunein.commicky
|+* Re: Rant about tunein.comFrank Slootweg
||+* Re: Rant about tunein.comMayayana
|||`- Re: Rant about tunein.comFrank Slootweg
||`- Re: Rant about tunein.commicky
|+- Re: Rant about tunein.comPaul
|`* Re: Rant about tunein.comAJL
| `* Re: Rant about tunein.commicky
|  `* Re: Rant about tunein.comAJL
|   +* Re: Rant about tunein.comAJL
|   |`- Re: Rant about tunein.comAJL
|   `* Re: Rant about tunein.commicky
|    `* Re: Rant about tunein.comAJL
|     `* Re: Rant about tunein.commicky
|      `* Re: Rant about tunein.comAJL
|       `- Re: Rant about tunein.commicky
`- Re: Rant about tunein.comMr. Man-wai Chang

1
Rant about tunein.com

<ajpp6htdpfpvo9j20pporq43l8scnlrqjt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31340&group=comp.mobile.android#31340

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Rant about tunein.com
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:07:26 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:07 UTC

a) I never signed up for the trial period of tunein, but I have it on
the phone anyhow. (Maybe they tricked me into tapping something.)

b) The trial period is supposed to make me like the Premium version, so
I'll pay.

c) Instead, it makes me dubious. If it's like the trial period, I don't
want it. I see that it just switches back and forth from live to
something that was on earlier today. It says "You may not have heard
this", but I have**.

d) Most ridiculous part, the rerun is LOUDER than the live, so I have to
keep setting my volume down and then up again, over and over. Don't they
have engineers there? My phone is rarely very accessible. Even at my
desk it slides in between the steel side support and the steel keyboard
support for this heavy device that lifts up the monitor several inches.
The volume controls are hidden until I pull the phone out by its tail.
Or it's in my pocket. In the car the volume difference have not
required my adjusting it, strangely.

e) **So I have to follow two topics, like being in two conversations.
I guess this is inevitable since the original programming has
commercials. But instead of just one word in a distinctive voice, like
the one they already use, saying "Earlier", it gives a whole
introduction, a medium length sentence mentioning Tunein Premium. Every
5 minutes. Will I have to listen to that if I pay?
Then on the way back it plays duh-duh-duh-duh.... for a full couple
minutes and/or says a medium length sentence about returning to live.
Will I have to listen to those if I pay? All it has to say is "Now
Live".

f) No way to email them. Googling contact tunein just gives
their postal mailing address in California. Too much trouble when they
will ignore me anyway.

g) I'm only considering paying because their commercials are more far
annoying than most. Months ago it was GEICO, 3 or 4 times an hour,
maybe 6 or 7, the same commercial. Now it's some mail-order college,
GPU or something. With some annoying guy, 3 or 4 times an hour, maybe 6
or 7 (once in a while it's a soft-spoken girl, but that's rare. If I had
as much of her as I do get of him, I'd be just as annoyed.) Sometimes
they play his spiel twice in a row.

h) I only have the trial on the phone and thus the car, not on Windows.
Thank goodness it's only that.

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<jnrp6htq3qcgh7afcuf86747nuh5u2j6o8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31341&group=comp.mobile.android#31341

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Rant about tunein.com
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:12:21 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:12 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:07:26 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>a) I never signed up for the trial period of tunein, but I have it on
>the phone anyhow. (Maybe they tricked me into tapping something.)
>
>b) The trial period is supposed to make me like the Premium version, so
>I'll pay.
>
>c) Instead, it makes me dubious. If it's like the trial period, I don't
>want it. I see that it just switches back and forth from live to
>something that was on earlier today. It says "You may not have heard
>this", but I have**.
>
>d) Most ridiculous part, the rerun is LOUDER than the live, so I have to
>keep setting my volume down and then up again, over and over. Don't they
>have engineers there? My phone is rarely very accessible. Even at my
>desk it slides in between the steel side support and the steel keyboard
>support for this heavy device that lifts up the monitor several inches.
>The volume controls are hidden until I pull the phone out by its tail.
>Or it's in my pocket. In the car the volume difference have not
>required my adjusting it, strangely.
>
>e) **So I have to follow two topics, like being in two conversations.
>I guess this is inevitable since the original programming has
>commercials. But instead of just one word in a distinctive voice, like
>the one they already use, saying "Earlier", it gives a whole
>introduction, a medium length sentence mentioning Tunein Premium. Every
>5 minutes. Will I have to listen to that if I pay?
> Then on the way back it plays duh-duh-duh-duh.... for a full couple
>minutes and/or says a medium length sentence about returning to live.
>Will I have to listen to those if I pay? All it has to say is "Now
>Live".
>
>f) No way to email them. Googling contact tunein just gives
>their postal mailing address in California. Too much trouble when they
>will ignore me anyway.

On the Contact Us page, it has this section:

TuneIn for Brands

Partner with TuneIn to create compelling advertising, branded content,
experiences, and more.

Advertise With Us
---

They must be incredibly unsuccessful in this because I think they never
have more than one sponsor all day long. The same one, 4, 5, 6 times an
hour. It makes me hate GPU, and before that I hated GEICO, even though
I have GEICO.

>g) I'm only considering paying because their commercials are more far
>annoying than most. Months ago it was GEICO, 3 or 4 times an hour,
>maybe 6 or 7, the same commercial. Now it's some mail-order college,
>GPU or something. With some annoying guy, 3 or 4 times an hour, maybe 6
>or 7 (once in a while it's a soft-spoken girl, but that's rare. If I had
>as much of her as I do get of him, I'd be just as annoyed.) Sometimes
>they play his spiel twice in a row.
>
>h) I only have the trial on the phone and thus the car, not on Windows.
>Thank goodness it's only that.

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4j69q$rh8$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31349&group=comp.mobile.android#31349

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:24:24 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:24 UTC

On 30/4/2022 4:07 pm, micky wrote:
> a) I never signed up for the trial period of tunein, but I have it on
> the phone anyhow. (Maybe they tricked me into tapping something.)
>
> b) The trial period is supposed to make me like the Premium version, so
> I'll pay.
>
> c) Instead, it makes me dubious. If it's like the trial period, I don't
> want it. I see that it just switches back and forth from live to
> something that was on earlier today. It says "You may not have heard
> this", but I have**.

TuneIn only accepts subscriptions the last time I wanna pay for it, but
I have no interest in sports.

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4jen7.9n4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31352&group=comp.mobile.android#31352

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: 30 Apr 2022 11:48:55 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:48 UTC

[...]

> >f) No way to email them. Googling contact tunein just gives
> >their postal mailing address in California. Too much trouble when they
> >will ignore me anyway.
>
> On the Contact Us page, it has this section:
>
> TuneIn for Brands
>
> Partner with TuneIn to create compelling advertising, branded content,
> experiences, and more.
>
> Advertise With Us

Try a little harder/better! :-(

The Google Play page *does* have an e-mail address and on the contact
page, you should of course *not* go to 'TunIn for Brands', because
you're not a partner, but to 'Help & Support' (Duh! :-() and at the end
of that page it says "STILL NEED HELP? CONTACT US", which gives you an
'Email Us' form.

Normally I would give the URLs, but not this time.

[...]

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4j999$ia8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31356&group=comp.mobile.android#31356

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:15:37 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:15 UTC

On 4/30/2022 4:12 AM, micky wrote:
> [...]
>
> Advertise With Us
> ---
>
> They must be incredibly unsuccessful in this because I think they never
> have more than one sponsor all day long. The same one, 4, 5, 6 times an
> hour. It makes me hate GPU, and before that I hated GEICO, even though
> I have GEICO.
>

>> g) I'm only considering paying because their commercials are more far
>> annoying than most. Months ago it was GEICO, 3 or 4 times an hour,
>> maybe 6 or 7, the same commercial. Now it's some mail-order college,
>> GPU or something. With some annoying guy, 3 or 4 times an hour, maybe 6
>> or 7 (once in a while it's a soft-spoken girl, but that's rare. If I had
>> as much of her as I do get of him, I'd be just as annoyed.) Sometimes
>> they play his spiel twice in a row.
>>
>> h) I only have the trial on the phone and thus the car, not on Windows.

I don't think it's set up to deal with mere users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TuneIn

https://tunein.com/sitemap/

475 Brannan St
San Francisco, CA 94107

partners@tunein.com
press@tunein.com

Paul

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4ja6u$p4m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31357&group=comp.mobile.android#31357

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:31:35 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:31 UTC

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

| Normally I would give the URLs, but not this time.

You're a stern father, Frank. :)

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<k9aq6h9988aauui8r1be66a7gc5b4g0051@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31358&group=comp.mobile.android#31358

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:46:27 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:46 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on 30 Apr 2022 11:48:55 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>[...]
>
>> >f) No way to email them. Googling contact tunein just gives
>> >their postal mailing address in California. Too much trouble when they
>> >will ignore me anyway.
>>
>> On the Contact Us page, it has this section:

I only brought this up to complain about their lack of advertisers. I
listen for hours every day and here only 1 or 2 or 3. I thought paying
would make it better, but they have other ways to annoy me then, it
seems.

>> TuneIn for Brands
>>
>> Partner with TuneIn to create compelling advertising, branded content,
>> experiences, and more.
>>
>> Advertise With Us
>
> Try a little harder/better! :-(
>
> The Google Play page *does* have an e-mail address and on the contact

I didn't know anything about Google Play until now. It may have a lot
to do with the sound coming out of the phone, but it doesn't affect the
content of Tunein. I don't think they can help me. Unless you mean I
should switch to google play.... Oh, Google Play is the Google Play
store. Who knew! I didn't think of that, I suppose, because I started
out a year ago only listening on the PC, didn't have the app at all, so
this time too I went straight to their website.

Yes, their entry for the app has an address android-support@tunein.com

I will take my first post here and rewrite it a little for them, and
send it.

I wonder if I should leave in the sarcasm about their not having any
engineers.

(I also didn't think of writing a review at the app download page.
Probably because I don't think a big place like tunein finds that stuff
important. )

>page, you should of course *not* go to 'TunIn for Brands', because
>you're not a partner,

Yes, of course. I only brought that up to complain about their lack of
advertisers.

> but to 'Help & Support' (Duh! :-() and at the end
>of that page it says "STILL NEED HELP? CONTACT US", which gives you an
>'Email Us' form.

Wow, I missed that. I'd already gone to three levels with very little
that would help anyone, a few simple questions, and this is in a solid
blue box, not the usual way links are given.

Thanks. This would apply to the PC too (or the computer only, maybe)
unlike the email address above.

> Normally I would give the URLs, but not this time.

Hmmm.

>[...]

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4jmol.eo0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31362&group=comp.mobile.android#31362

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: 30 Apr 2022 14:05:57 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:05 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote
>
> | Normally I would give the URLs, but not this time.
>
> You're a stern father, Frank. :)

Good you noticed. So you've been warned! :-)

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4jodk$edg$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31369&group=comp.mobile.android#31369

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:34:17 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:34 UTC

On 4/30/2022 1:12 AM, micky wrote:

> [TuneIn rant snipped.]

The main thing I disliked about TuneIn was that they put their own audio
commercials over the station that I was listening to, often covering the
main content.

Lately I've been using the Android app Radio USA (I see this is Windows
10 cross-posted so checked but there's apparently no Windows
equivalent.) Radio USA has a 5 second commercial when a station is first
started and then doesn't does interfere with the content again.

Bottom line advice (for everyone): Just look around and find a radio app
that works better for you. There's certainly lots out there to choose
from...

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<nrpq6hlfjmb0b4o2v2r7f2kjl5c5q8i236@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31372&group=comp.mobile.android#31372

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:58:13 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:34:17 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 4/30/2022 1:12 AM, micky wrote:
>
>> [TuneIn rant snipped.]
>
>The main thing I disliked about TuneIn was that they put their own audio
>commercials over the station that I was listening to, often covering the
>main content.
>
>Lately I've been using the Android app Radio USA (I see this is Windows
>10 cross-posted so checked but there's apparently no Windows
>equivalent.) Radio USA has a 5 second commercial when a station is first
>started and then doesn't does interfere with the content again.

It sounds good. There are 5 apps called Radio USA. Could you tell me
which one you use:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio+usa&utm_source=opensearch

(The first one won't load but there are still 4, all highly rated.)

>Bottom line advice (for everyone): Just look around and find a radio app
>that works better for you. There's certainly lots out there to choose
>from...

Yeah, I didn't even think about there being others. Looking elsewhere
seems like a better use of my time than arguing with tunein.

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4jqbn$ufm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31375&group=comp.mobile.android#31375

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:07:24 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:07 UTC

On 4/30/2022 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:34:17 -0700, AJL
> <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>> Lately I've been using the Android app Radio USA (I see this is Windows
>> 10 cross-posted so checked but there's apparently no Windows
>> equivalent.) Radio USA has a 5 second commercial when a station is first
>> started and then doesn't does interfere with the content again.
>
> It sounds good. There are 5 apps called Radio USA. Could you tell me
> which one you use:
> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio+usa&utm_source=opensearch
>
> (The first one won't load but there are still 4, all highly rated.)

Wow. Didn't realize (remember?) there were so many. Here's what I use:

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=swmr.usaradio.pro>

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4jr0u$4cc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31378&group=comp.mobile.android#31378

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:18:42 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:18 UTC

On 4/30/2022 10:07 AM, AJL wrote:
> On 4/30/2022 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:34:17 -0700, AJL
>> <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>
>>> Lately I've been using the Android app Radio USA (I see this is Windows
>>> 10 cross-posted so checked but there's apparently no Windows
>>> equivalent.) Radio USA has a 5 second commercial when a station is first
>>> started and then doesn't does interfere with the content again.
>>
>> It sounds good. There are 5 apps called Radio USA. Could you tell me
>> which one you use:
>> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio+usa&utm_source=opensearch
>>
>> (The first one won't load but there are still 4, all highly rated.)
>
> Wow. Didn't realize (remember?) there were so many. Here's what I use:
>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=swmr.usaradio.pro>

BTW I leave the app open in the background with the audio stopped when
I'm not using it and then when I want to use it again I retrieve it from
the status bar (top of the home screen). Sometimes I can go several days
without an ad with this method. But of course I'm staying on the same
station. Change stations and I get a new 5 second ad...

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4js88$1eni$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31384&group=comp.mobile.android#31384

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:39:41 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:39 UTC

On 4/30/2022 10:18 AM, AJL wrote:
> On 4/30/2022 10:07 AM, AJL wrote:
>> On 4/30/2022 9:58 AM, micky wrote:

>>> It sounds good. There are 5 apps called Radio USA. Could you tell me
>>> which one you use:
>>> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio+usa&utm_source=opensearch
>>>
>>> (The first one won't load but there are still 4, all highly rated.)
>>
>> Wow. Didn't realize (remember?) there were so many. Here's what I use:
>>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=swmr.usaradio.pro>
>
> BTW I leave the app open in the background with the audio stopped when
> I'm not using it and then when I want to use it again I retrieve it from
> the status bar (top of the home screen). Sometimes I can go several days
> without an ad with this method. But of course I'm staying on the same
> station. Change stations and I get a new 5 second ad...

BTW2 When I say a 5 second ad I mean that you aren't allowed to stop it
until 5 seconds into the ad. Otherwise it will keep going. It's kinda an
intelligence test in that you have to figure out how to stop it.
Sometimes it's an x in a corner. Sometimes you have to stop the video
and then hit the x. Etc. Actually kinda like a game. So far I've been
able to pass it... ;)

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<1rrq6ht0i5p8eas7b4cgore0rjvs61l0nq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31407&group=comp.mobile.android#31407

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:48:20 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 20:48 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:07:24 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 4/30/2022 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:34:17 -0700, AJL
>> <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>
>>> Lately I've been using the Android app Radio USA (I see this is Windows
>>> 10 cross-posted so checked but there's apparently no Windows
>>> equivalent.) Radio USA has a 5 second commercial when a station is first
>>> started and then doesn't does interfere with the content again.
>>
>> It sounds good. There are 5 apps called Radio USA. Could you tell me
>> which one you use:
>> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio+usa&utm_source=opensearch
>>
>> (The first one won't load but there are still 4, all highly rated.)
>
>Wow. Didn't realize (remember?) there were so many. Here's what I use:
>
><https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=swmr.usaradio.pro>

That's not even Radio USA, like you said it was!

It's USA Radio, so it's in addition to the 5 I found. I installed it
anyhow, and I'll try it tomorrow! Thanks

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4k8hc$f5e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31409&group=comp.mobile.android#31409

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:09:20 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:09 UTC

On 4/30/2022 1:48 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:07:24 -0700, AJL
> <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/30/2022 9:58 AM, micky wrote:

>>> It sounds good. There are 5 apps called Radio USA. Could you tell me
>>> which one you use:
>>> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio+usa&utm_source=opensearch
>>>
>>> (The first one won't load but there are still 4, all highly rated.)
>>
>> Wow. Didn't realize (remember?) there were so many. Here's what I use:
>>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=swmr.usaradio.pro>
>
> That's not even Radio USA, like you said it was!

It's not me that's mixed up (well maybe a little). It's the app:

video is titled (you guessed it) 'Radio USA'.

> It's USA Radio, so it's in addition to the 5 I found. I installed it
> anyhow,

And when you install it the app icon will be titled (you guessed it)
'Radio USA'. I was looking at my app when I made the first post...

> and I'll try it tomorrow! Thanks

Hope it works for you.

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<7o607htl2m48fe7ptd6o6ot9l7tfuviblj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31477&group=comp.mobile.android#31477

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 21:00:50 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 2 May 2022 18:00 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:09:20 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 4/30/2022 1:48 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:07:24 -0700, AJL
>> <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>>> Wow. Didn't realize (remember?) there were so many. Here's what I use:
>>>
>>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=swmr.usaradio.pro>
>>
>> That's not even Radio USA, like you said it was!
>
>It's not me that's mixed up (well maybe a little). It's the app:

Yeah, always blame someone else. I do that too.

>video is titled (you guessed it) 'Radio USA'.
>
>> It's USA Radio, so it's in addition to the 5 I found. I installed it
>> anyhow,
>
>And when you install it the app icon will be titled (you guessed it)
>'Radio USA'. I was looking at my app when I made the first post...
>
>> and I'll try it tomorrow! Thanks
>
>Hope it works for you.

So far I like it a lot better. It doesn't have the bells and whistles
of Tune-in, or podcasts I think, but if I want one I can switch to
tunein. But it's no where near as annoying as their trial was, and it
seems to have a lot fewer commercials on MSNBC as the tunein free
verions had. I've been listening for 3 or 4 and haven't even noticed
the commericials. I'm sure they're not louder than the non-commericials
free was, (Except in the car.)

I haven't tried any in the car yet, but two of the first four say t hey
are Android Auto compatible. YOurs didn't say that and I'd think it
would if it was. I wonder what it takes to make it be compatible. Do
you think Android Auto could charge?

But even if it doesn't work in the car, I can still use it everywhere
else. Thanks again.

You all know what I mean, don't you? I have maps.me on my phone but it
doesn't show up on the car radio screen. I guess it's incompatible.

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<t4p99i$pkp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31480&group=comp.mobile.android#31480

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 11:52:55 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 2 May 2022 18:52 UTC

On 5/2/2022 11:00 AM, micky wrote:

> So far I like it [Radio USA/USA Radio] and it seems to have a lot
> fewer commercials on MSNBC as the tunein free verions had.

That's because TuneIn puts TuneIn commercials over the top of the
station content so you often get both the station and the TuneIn
commercials. Worse TuneIn often covers regular station content with
commercials. However once you get past the Radio USA's upfront 5 second
commercial the rest you hear is the station content only (including the
station you're listening to commercials of course).

> I've been listening for 3 or 4 and haven't even noticed the
> commericials. I'm sure they're not louder than the non-commericials
> free was, (Except in the car.)

Some station apps do increase the commercial volume which is very
annoying. For example the KFNN app does that. But the Radio USA app
doesn't do that since they're just repeating the original station
content. However some of the 1000s of stations available could do
that. Hasn't happened to me yet but then I only listen to 5 regulars or so.

> I haven't tried any in the car yet, but two of the first four say t
> hey are Android Auto compatible. YOurs didn't say that and I'd
> think it would if it was. I wonder what it takes to make it be
> compatible. Do you think Android Auto could charge?

Dunno anything about Android Auto.

> But even if it doesn't work in the car, I can still use it everywhere
> else.

I just plug my phone into my car(s) when I travel and they're both smart
enough to put the phone audio (including Radio USA) on the car speaker
automatically.

> Thanks again.

You're welcome.

> You all know what I mean, don't you? I have maps.me on my phone but
> it doesn't show up on the car radio screen. I guess it's
> incompatible.

Dunno. Again both my cars are smart enough to transfer Google's (or the
wife's iPhone) directions and maps to the car screen and audio. YMMV...

Re: Rant about tunein.com

<d0j67hl53rksc8vtpo3q82hodunuvgm1bb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31698&group=comp.mobile.android#31698

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 07:13:28 +0300
 by: micky - Thu, 5 May 2022 04:13 UTC

Yesterday I was walking (2 miles, a lot for me) and one app kept
stopping so I changed back to Tunein and interestingly, none of the
things that bothereed me before bothered me because I knew I had an
alternative.

More below.

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 2 May 2022 11:52:55 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 5/2/2022 11:00 AM, micky wrote:
>
>> So far I like it [Radio USA/USA Radio] and it seems to have a lot
>> fewer commercials on MSNBC as the tunein free verions had.
>
>That's because TuneIn puts TuneIn commercials over the top of the
>station content so you often get both the station and the TuneIn
>commercials. Worse TuneIn often covers regular station content with
>commercials. However once you get past the Radio USA's upfront 5 second
>commercial the rest you hear is the station content only (including the
>station you're listening to commercials of course).
>
>> I've been listening for 3 or 4 [HOURS] and haven't even noticed the
>> commericials. I'm sure they're not louder than the non-commericials
>> free was, (Except in the car.)

I mean that Except in the car, I didn't notice they were louder.

>Some station apps do increase the commercial volume which is very
>annoying. For example the KFNN app does that. But the Radio USA app
>doesn't do that since they're just repeating the original station
>content. However some of the 1000s of stations available could do
>that. Hasn't happened to me yet but then I only listen to 5 regulars or so.

I woudln't have more than 5 regulars either.

>> I haven't tried any in the car yet, but two of the first four say t
>> hey are Android Auto compatible. YOurs didn't say that and I'd
>> think it would if it was. I wonder what it takes to make it be
>> compatible. Do you think Android Auto could charge?
>
>Dunno anything about Android Auto.
>
>> But even if it doesn't work in the car, I can still use it everywhere
>> else.
>
>I just plug my phone into my car(s) when I travel and they're both smart
>enough to put the phone audio (including Radio USA) on the car speaker
>automatically.

Android Auto on this recent, 2 years or less, Citroen is so complicated.
The car radio has 6 touch-buttons, including music, map, heater/ac, and
phone. But if the phone is plugged, the phone button doesn't work, and
if the phone is not plugged in, the phone doesn't work.

If you're playing music from the phone, the music button doesn't work.

For all these things, you have to tap the map button and at the bottom
is a circle that means go to the smartphone menu. So phone calls and
webradio are only reachable through the map. They must have been on
deadline when they through this together. Or maybe Android Auto was and
all cars are still like t his. Now I want to see if other companies or
more recent cars have fixed this, and I want to wait a year and see if
it's Android Auto's doing and they fix it.

Once you plug the phone in, after a while it starts playing whatever you
were playing on the phone, and only with a button on the steering wheel
can you change the source to the car radio.

>> Thanks again.
>
>You're welcome.
>
>> You all know what I mean, don't you? I have maps.me on my phone but
>> it doesn't show up on the car radio screen. I guess it's
>> incompatible.
>
>Dunno. Again both my cars are smart enough to transfer Google's (or the
>wife's iPhone) directions and maps to the car screen and audio. YMMV...

What year, make and model cars do you have?