Unix weanies are as bad at this as anyone. -- Larry Wall in <199702111730.JAA28598@wall.org>

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

SubjectAuthor
* Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Terry Pinnell
+* Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Phoenix
|`* Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Terry Pinnell
| `* Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Phoenix
|  `- Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Terry Pinnell
`* Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Terry Pinnell
 +- Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Terry Pinnell
 `* Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Phoenix
  `* Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Terry Pinnell
   `* Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Phoenix
    `- Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10Terry Pinnell

1
Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<2e16vgp5htccc736tmeftgpaqfo9va7uhc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3137&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3137

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:59:22 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:59 UTC

Recent posts I made to this newsgroup are missing and a large number of posts
seem inaccessible. Some of which I see have subjects referring to massive
trolling.

I tried File > Repair Selected Folders but no cure.

Terry

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<ssvdo5$9d85$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3138&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3138

From: phoe...@gmail.invalid (Phoenix)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 00:35:44 +0000
 by: Phoenix - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 00:35 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

>I tried File > Repair Selected Folders but no cure.

Did you try sampling about 200 or so articles?

That group can be problematic and the "Peeler" and it's ilk aren't
helping.

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<ote7vgd0mekiks7dvq09sh910rq1jpr559@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3139&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3139

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:57:24 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:57 UTC

Phoenix <phoenix@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>>I tried File > Repair Selected Folders but no cure.
>
>Did you try sampling about 200 or so articles?
>
>That group can be problematic and the "Peeler" and it's ilk aren't
>helping.

Thanks, but yes, I had tried that. Have again this morning tried to download the
last 3 days. As you see, all recent posts remain unobtainable, displaying an
icon with a red cross.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj9bnqowt4pu7ub/MiissingAndInaccessible2.jpg?raw=1

However I did get back my own thread, although perhaps there have been
subsequent replies since 24th Jan.

It's a high traffic group so I'd have expected to see some readable posts dated
27th/28th. I'll try again later when most of its posters are sharing the same
date.

Terry

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<ngn7vglebh45udkaspqq74t531i03u2f0e@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3140&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3140

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:24:24 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:24 UTC

Thanks Ralph. See my follow up post a few minutes before yours, including its
screenshot.

What are the most recent headers you see today please? All downloadable? No
hundred or so with "[Sorry. This message is no longer available.]" ?

Terry

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:59:22 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Subject: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10
>> Recent posts I made to this newsgroup are missing
>
>I see 2 posts in alt.comp.os.windows-10 from you this month (January)
>and 3 last month (December). Is that the number you were expecting?
>
>All 2+3=5 of those are available here from 3 different news servers.
>(I have not tested your news server NIN as I do not have a NIN account.)
>

>> and a large number of posts
>> seem inaccessible. Some of which I see have subjects referring to massive
>> trolling.
>
>By "inaccessible", do you mean the body is not available?
>It could be any of these:
> (a) database corruption in your Agent database;
> (b) your news server NIN has removed those posts;
> (c) your news server NIN has renumbered articles.
>
>FYI I killfile remailer posts in alt.comp.os.windows-10 (because
>in alt.comp.os.windows-10, almost all remailer posts are trolling).
>

>> I tried File > Repair Selected Folders but no cure.
>
>As Phoenix has suggested, try sampling headers.
>
>For news servers, sometimes to repair things you need to
>sample headers back in time.
>
> (select group) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
>
>With your Agent 4.2, it may be best to select the option
>"Retrieve the most recent messages, up to the specified number".
>In your Agent 4.2, the other option ("Retrieve All messages posted more
>recently than the specified date") can be slow. It would download *all*
>headers and only keep the ones newer than the specified date. The
>faster sample-by-date only came in with Agent 5.0 and later.

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<st139q$aeis$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3141&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3141

From: phoe...@gmail.invalid (Phoenix)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:49:18 +0000
 by: Phoenix - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:49 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

>Have again this morning tried to download the
>last 3 days. As you see, all recent posts remain unobtainable, displaying an
>icon with a red cross.
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj9bnqowt4pu7ub/MiissingAndInaccessible2.jpg?raw=1

Sampled 200 messages on four different (free) news servers. Only showed
107 articles for 2022-Jan-27. Could not find Subject="PREPARING
AUTOMATIC REPAIR", nor Subject="On-screen keyboard" among thosae 107
articles.

Don't have an account with NIN, so can't look at what may be a problem
unique to NIN. Looks like headers are available, but not bodies.
Can you post the full set of headers from
Subject="PREPARING AUTOMATIC REPAIR"
Subject="On-screen keyboard"
Am particularly interested in the Message-ID for those two articles,
which will allow looking in a couple of usenet archives (I don't do
google groups).

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<3vl8vghegv0af3n25i83tivcn80mnq10aq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3142&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3142

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:06:51 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:06 UTC

Phoenix <phoenix@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>>Have again this morning tried to download the
>>last 3 days. As you see, all recent posts remain unobtainable, displaying an
>>icon with a red cross.
>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj9bnqowt4pu7ub/MiissingAndInaccessible2.jpg?raw=1
>
>Sampled 200 messages on four different (free) news servers. Only showed
>107 articles for 2022-Jan-27. Could not find Subject="PREPARING
>AUTOMATIC REPAIR", nor Subject="On-screen keyboard" among thosae 107
>articles.
>
>Don't have an account with NIN, so can't look at what may be a problem
>unique to NIN. Looks like headers are available, but not bodies.
>Can you post the full set of headers from
>Subject="PREPARING AUTOMATIC REPAIR"
>Subject="On-screen keyboard"
>Am particularly interested in the Message-ID for those two articles,
>which will allow looking in a couple of usenet archives (I don't do
>google groups).

Sorry, I see neither of those subjects. They were in the 'inaccessibles' I
highlighted in my earlier screenshot. Now all of those have disappeared, as you
see from the latest screenshot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp78968kkkjjzs1/CurrentView.jpg?raw=1

However I'm pleased that it seems the posts in my recent thread 'Copying to USB
stick loses Date' are up to date. There was one at 19:49:29 UTC today.

Something presumably totally unrelated arose just now while I was searching for
your files. I was in my usual view 'All messages', but the display seemed to be
my view #1 'View Watch Keep All' (essentially all 'my' posts). And furthermore
all were in red, indicating Unread. Clicking around rather arbitrarily cured
this hopefully temporary quirk.

Terry

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<2qm8vg9b2sbevnad8791b7tbcn70a525sg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3143&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3143

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:09:48 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:09 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:24:24 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Thanks Ralph. See my follow up post a few minutes before yours, including its
>> screenshot.
>
>All 20 missing posts in your screen-shot have exactly the same date and
>time, "27/01/22 20:44".
>
>Yeah, right.
>You do not see this kind of strange coincidence elsewhere in
>alt.comp.os.windows-10.
>
>I pull headers from 3 different servers in alt.comp.os.windows-10.
>January 2022 has none of the missing posts in your screen-shot.
>Not one of them.
>
>The missing posts in your screen-shot were actually posted over 3 years
>ago around November/December 2018. Some examples for you:
>
> 2. "Re: Any experience with EaseUS PCTran?" -- November 2018, actual MID <ps2c0e$8lt$1@dont-email.me>
> 6. "Re: Windows 10. It's a wonderful thing!" -- November 2018; actual MID <20181123211332.559279a8@WizardsTower>
> 9. "Re: PREPARING AUTOMATIC REPAIR" -- November 2018; actual MID <ps58fm$5pn$1@dont-email.me>
>

>> What are the most recent headers you see today please? All downloadable? No
>> hundred or so with "[Sorry. This message is no longer available.]" ?
>
>All downloadable.
>Headers in the last 24 hours...
>
>[6 posts] Re: Copying to USB stick loses Date
>[3 posts] Re: shutdown power
>[1 post] Re: "The 10 Worst Things About Windows 11"
>[3 posts] Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use
>[3 posts] Re: X-Face: text to BMP convert (not header to GIF)
>
>I have excluded the off-topic cr*p about coronavirus. Any popular
>group attracts off-topic soapboxers.

Thanks. (I posted a few minutes *after you* this time, replying to Phoenix.)

All very bizarre.

Terry

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<st1qeq$b2h3$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3144&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3144

From: phoe...@gmail.invalid (Phoenix)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:24:31 +0000
 by: Phoenix - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:24 UTC

Ralph Fox wrote:

>All 20 missing posts in your screen-shot have exactly the same date and
>time, "27/01/22 20:44".
>
>Yeah, right.
>You do not see this kind of strange coincidence elsewhere in
>alt.comp.os.windows-10.
>
>I pull headers from 3 different servers in alt.comp.os.windows-10.
>January 2022 has none of the missing posts in your screen-shot.
>Not one of them.
>
>The missing posts in your screen-shot were actually posted over 3 years
>ago around November/December 2018.

What caused Terry's problem?

A problem with his usenet provider?
or a problem with his local copy of Agent?
or something else I haven't thought of?

What I think Terry's first screenshot shows is
1) he got new headers
2) the articles were cancelled on the news server (or somehow
disappeard from the server)
3) he tried to get the message bodies, but the articles were no longer
available on the server
Hence my guess - a problem unique to NIN.

What do you think?

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<5caavg13akfo23a3f0bpikj7bhv8qgv4ps@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3145&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3145

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:51:15 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:51 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:24:31 +0000, Phoenix wrote:
>
>> Ralph Fox wrote:
>>
>> >All 20 missing posts in your screen-shot have exactly the same date and
>> >time, "27/01/22 20:44".
>> >
>> >Yeah, right.
>> >You do not see this kind of strange coincidence elsewhere in
>> >alt.comp.os.windows-10.
>> >
>> >I pull headers from 3 different servers in alt.comp.os.windows-10.
>> >January 2022 has none of the missing posts in your screen-shot.
>> >Not one of them.
>> >
>> >The missing posts in your screen-shot were actually posted over 3 years
>> >ago around November/December 2018.
>>
>> What caused Terry's problem?
>>
>> A problem with his usenet provider?
>> or a problem with his local copy of Agent?
>> or something else I haven't thought of?
>>
>> What I think Terry's first screenshot shows is
>> 1) he got new headers
>> 2) the articles were cancelled on the news server (or somehow
>> disappeard from the server)
>
>The actual articles are over 3 years old, and around
>the limit of NIN's retention.
>
>> 3) he tried to get the message bodies, but the articles were no longer
>> available on the server
>
>Which would happen if he tried to get bodies when the articles had
>reached NIN's expiry age.
>
>> Hence my guess - a problem unique to NIN.
>
>Or Terry's database is showing him the wrong date in the message list.
>

>> What do you think?
>
>Look at Terry's *second* screen-shot which shows two posts with the exact
>same (phony) date and time as all the inaccessible ones ("27/01/22 20:44")
>but with bodies.
>
>Ask Terry to post the full set of headers from those two posts
>dated 2022-01-27 20:44.
>
>Then compare Terry's copies of the headers with the real ones from
>the actual messages.
>
> 1. "OT: Dad joke on Apple" -- actually posted in October 2021, MID <skgc51$q29$1@dont-email.me>
> 2. "Re: OT: Stylebot for Firefox!!!" -- actually posted in December 2021, MID <sore0f$6u0$1@dont-email.me>
>
>If the dates in *Terry's copies* of the full headers also say 2022-01-27 20:44,
>then it is most likely a NIN problem (re-injection).
>
>If the dates in *Terry's copies* of the full headers are the original dates
>from 2021, then it most likely a corruption in Terry's database.

Whatever the cause of the alt.comp.os.windows-10 group issue, perhaps it also
causes the following puzzle too? See screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j34hbn1a5630mrj/ThirdScreenshot.jpg?raw=1

I don't have the post from Phoenix: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:24:31 +0000

Tried downloading 2 day's headers, no change. Also 'Retrieve the most recent
messages...specified number'.

Repair got one more message. But it was a duplicate of Ralph's latest reply -
and with differing timestamps.

Terry

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<st3hnh$bv9r$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3146&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3146

From: phoe...@gmail.invalid (Phoenix)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 14:07:49 +0000
 by: Phoenix - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 14:07 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

>Whatever the cause of the alt.comp.os.windows-10 group issue, perhaps it also
>causes the following puzzle too? See screenshot:
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/j34hbn1a5630mrj/ThirdScreenshot.jpg?raw=1
>
>I don't have the post from Phoenix: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:24:31 +0000
>
>Tried downloading 2 day's headers, no change. Also 'Retrieve the most recent
>messages...specified number'.
>
>Repair got one more message. But it was a duplicate of Ralph's latest reply -
>and with differing timestamps.

THAT - I can explain. Things are working as designed!

Ralph posted a much better explanation than my post on Fri, 28 Jan 2022
22:24:31 +0000 (Message-ID: <st1qeq$b2h3$1@solani.org>). So I cancelled
my post. Some servers allow a user to cancel his post, some don't. NIN
allowed the cancel and that article is no longer on NIN.

For years, news servers didn't allow cancels (except for a few special
circumstances - noseeum?). But at some point that I totally missed,
some servers started adding a Cancel-Lock header and now a user can
cancel his own post. It seems that other servers that add the
Cancel-Lock header will honor the cancel and POOF, that article is no
longer available on that server too. Of course the quoted text of the
cancelled post is available in follow up posts, as is the Message-ID (in
the References header), so things look hinckey. SNAFU.

Re: Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10

<nmjavgtasmsm3gva4d9juvsh4f5ci113h8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3147&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3147

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 14:31:56 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 14:31 UTC

Phoenix <phoenix@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>>Whatever the cause of the alt.comp.os.windows-10 group issue, perhaps it also
>>causes the following puzzle too? See screenshot:
>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/j34hbn1a5630mrj/ThirdScreenshot.jpg?raw=1
>>
>>I don't have the post from Phoenix: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:24:31 +0000
>>
>>Tried downloading 2 day's headers, no change. Also 'Retrieve the most recent
>>messages...specified number'.
>>
>>Repair got one more message. But it was a duplicate of Ralph's latest reply -
>>and with differing timestamps.
>
>THAT - I can explain. Things are working as designed!
>
>Ralph posted a much better explanation than my post on Fri, 28 Jan 2022
>22:24:31 +0000 (Message-ID: <st1qeq$b2h3$1@solani.org>). So I cancelled
>my post. Some servers allow a user to cancel his post, some don't. NIN
>allowed the cancel and that article is no longer on NIN.
>
>For years, news servers didn't allow cancels (except for a few special
>circumstances - noseeum?). But at some point that I totally missed,
>some servers started adding a Cancel-Lock header and now a user can
>cancel his own post. It seems that other servers that add the
>Cancel-Lock header will honor the cancel and POOF, that article is no
>longer available on that server too. Of course the quoted text of the
>cancelled post is available in follow up posts, as is the Message-ID (in
>the References header), so things look hinckey. SNAFU.

Thanks, understood. Good to get that side issue quickly sorted!

What are the steps to check if a post can be canceled and then do so?

Terry