Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 08:38:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Oh, so that's the Democratic strategy for clinging to power in 2022
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Tue, 3 May 2022 15:38 UTC

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-hope-draft-abortion-opinion-034615105.html

Wow, the plan is to do everything wrong and fail at everything, trust voters not to understand that the Supreme Court quite likely sometimes takes the pulse of the nation and checks national opinion and representative ethics before making big decisions, and then indicate to liberal voters that "you need us more than ever" now that we've failed so much (it's supposed to sound like some P.O.D. song).

Wouldn't a better strategy be doing one thing right? They think that Democrat voters will become "energized by desperation"..."you've done such a terrible job that now we need to focus all of our attention on GETTING YOU BACK IN so that we can at least get one thing we wanted."

The obvious comparison is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giffen_good

Liberals are feeling so low on political capital to "buy" good leaders legally with voting that they are thinking that they can't afford high-quality luxury goods, and thus will have to buy more of the low-quality necessity goods, since even though the price of such goods is increasing, the ability to budget to afford a good amount of the high-quality goods is gone, so more capital is freed up to purchase the low-quailty goods, even as prices go up.

In this case, the high-quality good was "far-left or moderate liberals," and the low-quality good is of course "moderate conservatives who might make a deal to help LGBTQ couples and women interested in abortions to at least save money, e.g., on taxes" to address lifestyle concerns other than sex and marriage ceremonies.

The Democrats don't want to see that, though, so they don't. It's a question of "how long does it take Democrats to notice a serious mistake they've made?" Typically, it takes many months.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)