The unrecognized minister of propaganda, E -- seen in an email from Ean Schuessler

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Proposal for the cut and paste coders

SubjectAuthor
* Proposal for the cut and paste codersEdmund
`* Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersNP2
 `* Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersEdmund
  +* Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersBig Al
  |`* Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersEdmund
  | `- Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersBig Al
  +- Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersPaul
  `* Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersNP2
   `- Re: Proposal for the cut and paste codersEdmund

1
Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t075sp$eqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3150&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3150

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Proposal for the cut and paste coders
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 09:59:05 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 08:59 UTC

Proposal for the cut and paste coders.

Remove the "Preferred Applications" option.
Since it is decoration only without any function.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drift from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t07g54$2a714$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3152&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3152

From: NP2...@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 12:54:11 +0100
 by: NP2 - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:54 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> Proposal for the cut and paste coders.
>
> Remove the "Preferred Applications" option.
> Since it is decoration only without any function.

You mean like the "Web" preference that doesn't remember the standard
browser, even though you have told it a million times what browser you
always want to use?

Yeah, I can agree with that.

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t07vqo$2dc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3153&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3153

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:21:43 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:21 UTC

On 3/8/22 12:54, NP2 wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>> Proposal for the cut and paste coders.
>>
>> Remove the "Preferred Applications" option.
>> Since it is decoration only without any function.
>
> You mean like the "Web" preference that doesn't remember the standard
> browser, even though you have told it a million times what browser you
> always want to use?
>
> Yeah, I can agree with that.

Well you may be surprised but low and behold, selecting a preferred
browser suddenly works in Mint 12.3.
They swapped that insane behavior with the preferred file browser, that
stopped working in Mint 12.3
Absolutely brilliant these cut and paste clowns that call themselves
coders or developers.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drift from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t080jo$7mi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3154&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3154

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:35:04 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:35 UTC

On 3/8/22 11:21, this is what Edmund wrote:
> On 3/8/22 12:54, NP2 wrote:
>> Edmund wrote:
>>> Proposal for the cut and paste coders.
>>>
>>> Remove the "Preferred Applications" option.
>>> Since it is decoration only without any function.
>>
>> You mean like the "Web" preference that doesn't remember the standard browser, even though you have told it a million times what browser
>> you always want to use?
>>
>> Yeah, I can agree with that.
>>
> Well you may be surprised but low and behold, selecting a preferred browser suddenly works in Mint 12.3.
> They swapped that insane behavior with the preferred file browser, that stopped working in Mint 12.3
> Absolutely brilliant these cut and paste clowns that call themselves coders or developers.
>
> Edmund

Read your own post: "browser suddenly works in 12.3" then "that stopped working in 12.3"

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t082ft$p8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3155&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3155

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:07:09 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:07 UTC

On 3/8/22 17:35, Big Al wrote:
> On 3/8/22 11:21, this is what Edmund wrote:

>>> You mean like the "Web" preference that doesn't remember the standard
>>> browser, even though you have told it a million times what browser
>>> you always want to use?
>>>
>>> Yeah, I can agree with that.
>>>
>> Well you may be surprised but low and behold, selecting a preferred
>> browser suddenly works in Mint 12.3.
>> They swapped that insane behavior with the preferred file browser,
>> that stopped working in Mint 12.3
>> Absolutely brilliant these cut and paste clowns that call themselves
>> coders or developers.
>>
>> Edmund
>>
> Read your own post:  "browser suddenly works in 12.3"  then "that
> stopped working in 12.3"

Try reading it again, a bit more careful this time and report back :-)

--
“The further a society drift from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t0836b$mit$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3156&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3156

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 12:19:06 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:19 UTC

On 3/8/2022 11:21 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On 3/8/22 12:54, NP2 wrote:
>> Edmund wrote:
>>> Proposal for the cut and paste coders.
>>>
>>> Remove the "Preferred Applications" option.
>>> Since it is decoration only without any function.
>>
>> You mean like the "Web" preference that doesn't remember the standard browser, even though you have told it a million times what browser you always want to use?
>>
>> Yeah, I can agree with that.
>>
> Well you may be surprised but low and behold, selecting a preferred browser suddenly works in Mint 12.3.
> They swapped that insane behavior with the preferred file browser, that stopped working in Mint 12.3
> Absolutely brilliant these cut and paste clowns that call themselves coders or developers.
>
> Edmund

There is some scheme, using links and link groups, for
steering "canonical name" to "specific name".

ls -al /etc/alternatives | grep x-www-browser

x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/firefox

man update-alternatives

*******

I was looking in Ubuntu, which is on the LCD monitor on my left
at the moment (I'm running two computers at once, monitors
side by side).

The file browser there is called "files" by the gnome people.
If you do "which files", you get nothing. Turns out, the
execution of "nautilus" causes a program window to open, where
the about: entry says the program is called "files". So it's
nautilus in disguise. Now, how confusing is that, and why did
they do that ? And none of that seemed to be lashed up with
/etc/alternatives that I can see.

If there was a GUI for setting these things, perhaps
it uses /etc/alternatives system, or, perhaps not.

/etc/alternatives looks a bit like a MIME-type system or something.

Paul

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t083te$mh5$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3157&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3157

From: NP2...@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:31:21 +0100
 by: NP2 - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:31 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> On 3/8/22 12:54, NP2 wrote:
>> Edmund wrote:
>>> Proposal for the cut and paste coders.
>>>
>>> Remove the "Preferred Applications" option.
>>> Since it is decoration only without any function.
>>
>> You mean like the "Web" preference that doesn't remember the standard
>> browser, even though you have told it a million times what browser you
>> always want to use?
>>
>> Yeah, I can agree with that.
>>
> Well you may be surprised but low and behold, selecting a preferred
> browser suddenly works in Mint 12.3.
> They swapped that insane behavior with the preferred file browser, that
> stopped working in Mint 12.3
> Absolutely brilliant these cut and paste clowns that call themselves
> coders or developers.

Well, I wouldn't call them clowns or incompetent or anything like that,
but the web preference thing is indeed an annoyance. I'm on Mint 20.3
and it still doesn't work, I can't remember if it ever did.

Maybe in the next release...

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t08755$3g0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3158&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3158

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 19:26:45 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:26 UTC

On 3/8/22 18:31, NP2 wrote:
> Edmund wrote:

>>> You mean like the "Web" preference that doesn't remember the standard
>>> browser, even though you have told it a million times what browser
>>> you always want to use?
>>>
>>> Yeah, I can agree with that.
>>>
>> Well you may be surprised but low and behold, selecting a preferred
>> browser suddenly works in Mint 12.3.
>> They swapped that insane behavior with the preferred file browser,
>> that stopped working in Mint 12.3
>> Absolutely brilliant these cut and paste clowns that call themselves
>> coders or developers.
>
> Well, I wouldn't call them clowns or incompetent or anything like that,
> but the web preference thing is indeed an annoyance. I'm on Mint 20.3
> and it still doesn't work, I can't remember if it ever did.
Hm here i works Mint12.3 Mate ...
I just selected make "this" the default (web) browser in the (web) browser.
Besides that I know how to make it work in other -previous- releases too.

I am now talking about the FILE browser or file manager if you prefer
that name.

> Maybe in the next release...

In my experience those clowns never fix any bugs, they just release new
releases.

--
“The further a society drift from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Proposal for the cut and paste coders

<t08aki$36q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3159&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3159

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 14:26:08 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 19:26 UTC

On 3/8/22 12:07, this is what Edmund wrote:
> On 3/8/22 17:35, Big Al wrote:

>>> Well you may be surprised but low and behold, selecting a preferred browser suddenly works in Mint 12.3.
>>> They swapped that insane behavior with the preferred file browser, that stopped working in Mint 12.3
>>> Absolutely brilliant these cut and paste clowns that call themselves coders or developers.
>>>
>>> Edmund
>>>
>> Read your own post:  "browser suddenly works in 12.3"  then "that stopped working in 12.3"
>>
> Try reading it again, a bit more careful this time and report back :-)

I still don't think it's right, but on the other hand I read what you were trying to say. For me putting that 2nd ", that stopped working
in Mint 12.3" at the end of the 2nd sentence is in the gray area. IMHO, but again I read both sides now. tks