From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Follow-up: I need to see the map while driving.
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 07:32:00 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 3 May 2022 04:32 UTC

Follow-up on using map and direction-instructions while driving.

I realized two reasons I need to see the map and can't just rely on
audio directions.

1) One time, I don't see any way I would not have heard it, but afaict
Google Maps missed a turn, was silent, and at night, I ended up driving
4 miles up a hill away from the road I wanted.

2) Without looking at the map, I won't know how to get there the next
time without again using directions. I'll be like a passenger when
someone else is driving, and I won't know how to get there on my own.
OTOH, when I look at the map periodically, I don't need directions to
get there the next time. I don't even need the map that much.

Re: Follow-up: I need to see the map while driving.

<1czmhhh2q7h72$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31511&group=comp.mobile.android#31511

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Follow-up: I need to see the map while driving.
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 00:51:03 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 3 May 2022 05:51 UTC

micky wrote:

> Follow-up on using map and direction-instructions while driving.
>
> I realized two reasons I need to see the map and can't just rely on
> audio directions.
>
> 1) One time, I don't see any way I would not have heard it, but afaict
> Google Maps missed a turn, was silent, and at night, I ended up driving
> 4 miles up a hill away from the road I wanted.
>
> 2) Without looking at the map, I won't know how to get there the next
> time without again using directions. I'll be like a passenger when
> someone else is driving, and I won't know how to get there on my own.
> OTOH, when I look at the map periodically, I don't need directions to
> get there the next time. I don't even need the map that much.

Without me having to hunt around for the associated article(s) on which
this one is based, what stops you from looking at the head unit to which
your smartphone is attached, or looking at the smartphone (in a holder
that keeps it at eye level rather than making you look away from the
road)? When getting audio directions from the Google Maps app on my
smartphone, I can still look at my smartphone's screen. I do that when
stopped at a light, or even at a stop sign if no one is going to get
pissed at me taking an overly long stop at the sign. I can then see
where I'll be going before I get there.

I'll look at the proposed route when I ask for one. At stops, I can
look at the screen to see what's coming next (although sometimes I will
have to shrink the map to see far enough ahead for the next turn, or
drag the map to look forward, or even sideways to see where a turn takes
me). I can look at the screen to see the map. I can resize or drag to
see what's coming next. You can't do that?