win-nt from the people who invented edlin. -- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm@at8.abo.fi

computers / alt.windows7.general / Gadjets, what's the deal?

SubjectAuthor
* Gadjets, what's the deal?gfretwell
`* Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?Paul
 `* Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?gfretwell
  `* Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?Paul
   +* Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?Rene Lamontagne
   |`* Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?gfretwell
   | `- Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?gfretwell
   +- Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?gfretwell
   `* Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?Char Jackson
    `- Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?Paul

1
Gadjets, what's the deal?

<oea3qg9gaus61rgqku35lo11sh0fsaf9lc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3157&group=alt.windows7.general#3157

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Gadjets, what's the deal?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:48:47 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 03:48 UTC

A couple of my W/7 machines have working gadgets and others just
refuse to let them on the desktop. I have the application, it displays
OK but when you drag the gadget (clock) to the desk top it won't
stick.
Is this about pro versions vs home or is it a 32 bit/64 bit thing. I
have a mix of them here and the home ones seem OK

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<snsas6$1oq0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3158&group=alt.windows7.general#3158

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:06:29 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 04:06 UTC

On 11/26/2021 10:48 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> A couple of my W/7 machines have working gadgets and others just
> refuse to let them on the desktop. I have the application, it displays
> OK but when you drag the gadget (clock) to the desk top it won't
> stick.
> Is this about pro versions vs home or is it a 32 bit/64 bit thing. I
> have a mix of them here and the home ones seem OK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Desktop_Gadgets

"Windows Desktop Gadgets (called Windows Sidebar in Windows Vista)
is a discontinued widget engine for Microsoft Gadgets."

"Microsoft issued security advisory to disable Sidebar and Desktop
Gadgets on Windows Vista and 7 because of a security vulnerability
that could allow remote code execution."

It's hard to say how many times that has been "deprecated",
and whether more than a "Fixit" was issued to shut it down.

Your machines could be patched to different levels for example.

Paul

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<s9g3qglpv5ob1lpho5bf6houk4vte9hsf7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3159&group=alt.windows7.general#3159

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 00:28:51 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 05:28 UTC

On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:06:29 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 11/26/2021 10:48 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> A couple of my W/7 machines have working gadgets and others just
>> refuse to let them on the desktop. I have the application, it displays
>> OK but when you drag the gadget (clock) to the desk top it won't
>> stick.
>> Is this about pro versions vs home or is it a 32 bit/64 bit thing. I
>> have a mix of them here and the home ones seem OK
>>

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Desktop_Gadgets
>
> "Windows Desktop Gadgets (called Windows Sidebar in Windows Vista)
> is a discontinued widget engine for Microsoft Gadgets."
>
> "Microsoft issued security advisory to disable Sidebar and Desktop
> Gadgets on Windows Vista and 7 because of a security vulnerability
> that could allow remote code execution."
>
>It's hard to say how many times that has been "deprecated",
>and whether more than a "Fixit" was issued to shut it down.
>
>Your machines could be patched to different levels for example.
>
> Paul

I looked again and it is the "pro" machines that don't work. That is
probably the problem. They let the home machines keep using them.
Do you know what the vulnerability might be? The only one I want is
the clock. I understand some of them do hit the internet.

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<snsr0h$p8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3160&group=alt.windows7.general#3160

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 03:41:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 08:41 UTC

On 11/27/2021 12:28 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:06:29 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/26/2021 10:48 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>> A couple of my W/7 machines have working gadgets and others just
>>> refuse to let them on the desktop. I have the application, it displays
>>> OK but when you drag the gadget (clock) to the desk top it won't
>>> stick.
>>> Is this about pro versions vs home or is it a 32 bit/64 bit thing. I
>>> have a mix of them here and the home ones seem OK
>>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Desktop_Gadgets
>>
>> "Windows Desktop Gadgets (called Windows Sidebar in Windows Vista)
>> is a discontinued widget engine for Microsoft Gadgets."
>>
>> "Microsoft issued security advisory to disable Sidebar and Desktop
>> Gadgets on Windows Vista and 7 because of a security vulnerability
>> that could allow remote code execution."
>>
>> It's hard to say how many times that has been "deprecated",
>> and whether more than a "Fixit" was issued to shut it down.
>>
>> Your machines could be patched to different levels for example.
>>
>> Paul
>
> I looked again and it is the "pro" machines that don't work. That is
> probably the problem. They let the home machines keep using them.
> Do you know what the vulnerability might be? The only one I want is
> the clock. I understand some of them do hit the internet.

A lot of people would use the Weather one.

I don't even want to see the News and Interest local
info, because News and Interest on Win10 and Win11,
there is no switch in the Location Privacy controls
to turn it off. When News and Interests came out, it looked
to me like a blatant "location grab".

This is one of the reasons the GPS can only be connected
to Windows XP. (I was using a GPS to set the clock on
Windows XP, but my hardware config was not ideal for it.)

Paul

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<j0f1hsFl8ftU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3161&group=alt.windows7.general#3161

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:35:26 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 15:35 UTC

On 2021-11-27 2:41 a.m., Paul wrote:
> On 11/27/2021 12:28 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:06:29 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Desktop_Gadgets
>>>
>>>     "Windows Desktop Gadgets (called Windows Sidebar in Windows Vista)
>>>      is a discontinued widget engine for Microsoft Gadgets."
>>>
>>>     "Microsoft issued security advisory to disable Sidebar and Desktop
>>>      Gadgets on Windows Vista and 7 because of a security vulnerability
>>>      that could allow remote code execution."
>>>
>>> It's hard to say how many times that has been "deprecated",
>>> and whether more than a "Fixit" was issued to shut it down.
>>>
>>> Your machines could be patched to different levels for example.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> I looked again and it is the "pro" machines that don't work. That is
>> probably the problem. They let the home machines keep using them.
>> Do you know what the vulnerability might be? The only one I want is
>> the clock. I understand some of them do hit the internet.
>
> A lot of people would use the Weather one.
>
> I don't even want to see the News and Interest local
> info, because News and Interest on Win10 and Win11,
> there is no switch in the Location Privacy controls
> to turn it off. When News and Interests came out, it looked
> to me like a blatant "location grab".
>
> This is one of the reasons the GPS can only be connected
> to Windows XP. (I was using a GPS to set the clock on
> Windows XP, but my hardware config was not ideal for it.)
>
>    Paul

If you install Winaero Tweaker from,

https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/

And if you scroll down to the very bottom you will find the item
'Desktop Gadgets ' which should get them back.

Rene

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<a0p4qgp33ir5k9qjepk4vj3u0eatg5j3ei@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3162&group=alt.windows7.general#3162

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:02:50 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 17:02 UTC

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 03:41:48 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 11/27/2021 12:28 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:06:29 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Desktop_Gadgets
>>>
>>> "Windows Desktop Gadgets (called Windows Sidebar in Windows Vista)
>>> is a discontinued widget engine for Microsoft Gadgets."
>>>
>>> "Microsoft issued security advisory to disable Sidebar and Desktop
>>> Gadgets on Windows Vista and 7 because of a security vulnerability
>>> that could allow remote code execution."
>>>
>>> It's hard to say how many times that has been "deprecated",
>>> and whether more than a "Fixit" was issued to shut it down.
>>>
>>> Your machines could be patched to different levels for example.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> I looked again and it is the "pro" machines that don't work. That is
>> probably the problem. They let the home machines keep using them.
>> Do you know what the vulnerability might be? The only one I want is
>> the clock. I understand some of them do hit the internet.
>
>A lot of people would use the Weather one.
>
>I don't even want to see the News and Interest local
>info, because News and Interest on Win10 and Win11,
>there is no switch in the Location Privacy controls
>to turn it off. When News and Interests came out, it looked
>to me like a blatant "location grab".
>
>This is one of the reasons the GPS can only be connected
>to Windows XP. (I was using a GPS to set the clock on
>Windows XP, but my hardware config was not ideal for it.)
>
> Paul

I am not interested in anything with unfettered access to the
internet. It just looks like you are trying to get hacked.
The only gadget that interested me was that clock display on the desk
top and I am willing to trust the TOD crystal to keep reasonable time.

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<rsp4qghkkebbtaodgmmqobrquaebbcbs0f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3163&group=alt.windows7.general#3163

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:16:06 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 17:16 UTC

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:35:26 -0600, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>On 2021-11-27 2:41 a.m., Paul wrote:
>> On 11/27/2021 12:28 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>> I looked again and it is the "pro" machines that don't work. That is
>>> probably the problem. They let the home machines keep using them.
>>> Do you know what the vulnerability might be? The only one I want is
>>> the clock. I understand some of them do hit the internet.
>>
>> A lot of people would use the Weather one.
>>
>> I don't even want to see the News and Interest local
>> info, because News and Interest on Win10 and Win11,
>> there is no switch in the Location Privacy controls
>> to turn it off. When News and Interests came out, it looked
>> to me like a blatant "location grab".
>>
>> This is one of the reasons the GPS can only be connected
>> to Windows XP. (I was using a GPS to set the clock on
>> Windows XP, but my hardware config was not ideal for it.)
>>
>>    Paul
>

>If you install Winaero Tweaker from,
>
>https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/
>
>And if you scroll down to the very bottom you will find the item
>'Desktop Gadgets ' which should get them back.
>
>Rene

OK I will give that a shot Thanks

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<7lr4qg5rc3hbhib885ljul3svqra96d1jt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3164&group=alt.windows7.general#3164

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:48:02 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 17:48 UTC

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:16:06 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:35:26 -0600, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
>wrote:

>>> A lot of people would use the Weather one.
>>>
>>> I don't even want to see the News and Interest local
>>> info, because News and Interest on Win10 and Win11,
>>> there is no switch in the Location Privacy controls
>>> to turn it off. When News and Interests came out, it looked
>>> to me like a blatant "location grab".
>>>
>>> This is one of the reasons the GPS can only be connected
>>> to Windows XP. (I was using a GPS to set the clock on
>>> Windows XP, but my hardware config was not ideal for it.)
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>

>>If you install Winaero Tweaker from,
>>
>>https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/
>>
>>And if you scroll down to the very bottom you will find the item
>>'Desktop Gadgets ' which should get them back.
>>
>>Rene
>>

>OK I will give that a shot Thanks

It looks like they removed gadgets from there too. I got excited for a
second when I saw you could change fonts in the context menus but it
doesn't work for the Agent spell check context and I was told that
comes from windows. It did make the bar at the top of Firefox bigger
but that wasn't a problem before.

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<9vs4qgdc8h410r9ujjbn5kqd4usvmk624p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3165&group=alt.windows7.general#3165

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:09:05 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 18:09 UTC

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 03:41:48 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>I don't even want to see the News and Interest local
>info, because News and Interest on Win10 and Win11,
>there is no switch in the Location Privacy controls
>to turn it off. When News and Interests came out, it looked
>to me like a blatant "location grab".
>
>This is one of the reasons the GPS can only be connected
>to Windows XP. (I was using a GPS to set the clock on
>Windows XP, but my hardware config was not ideal for it.)

Regarding using GPS to set the clock, is that a 'because you can' thing,
or is your ntp service broken? Because ntp is the usual/normal way to do
it.

Re: Gadjets, what's the deal?

<snuf47$qjo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3166&group=alt.windows7.general#3166

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 18:31:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:31 UTC

On 11/27/2021 1:09 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 03:41:48 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I don't even want to see the News and Interest local
>> info, because News and Interest on Win10 and Win11,
>> there is no switch in the Location Privacy controls
>> to turn it off. When News and Interests came out, it looked
>> to me like a blatant "location grab".
>>
>> This is one of the reasons the GPS can only be connected
>> to Windows XP. (I was using a GPS to set the clock on
>> Windows XP, but my hardware config was not ideal for it.)
>
> Regarding using GPS to set the clock, is that a 'because you can' thing,
> or is your ntp service broken? Because ntp is the usual/normal way to do
> it.

Because you can.

Originally the intent was to figure out what the wander
was like on a desktop quartz crystal. But because I never
got the right hardware (for interrupt latency), I couldn't
build a proper implementation. It helps to have a low
latency interrupt for this, to bring the TTL level 1PPS
pulse from the GPS.

Paul