How many chunks could checkchunk check if checkchunk could check chunks? -- Alan Cox

devel / alt.msdos.batch / Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

SubjectAuthor
* Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barWade Garrett
`* Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barAndy Burns
 `* Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barZaidy036
  +* Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barJJ
  |+* Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barChar Jackson
  ||`* Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barWade Garrett
  || `- Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barKerr-Mudd, John
  |`- Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barZaidy036
  `* Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barStan Brown
   `- Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header barPhilip Herlihy

1
Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<ts0qu8$ng3e$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=315&group=alt.msdos.batch#315

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Subject: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:51:02 -0500
 by: Wade Garrett - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 18:51 UTC

If I write a batch file to do something out of batch commands, how do I get
that batch file to put in the Windows header bar the name of that file?

Is there an "output to the window title" command in Windows batch language?
--
My wife asked me to take her to one of those restaurants where they make
the food right in front of you. So I took her to Subway...and that�s how

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<k4ib1sFo21kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=316&group=alt.msdos.batch#316

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 19:21:29 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 19:21 UTC

Wade Garrett wrote:

> If I write a batch file to do something out of batch commands, how do I get
> that batch file to put in the Windows header bar the name of that file?
>
> Is there an "output to the window title" command in Windows batch language?

only at the time you start the batch, not afterwards.

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<ts135l$8qvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=317&group=alt.msdos.batch#317

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:11:17 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 21:11 UTC

On 2/8/2023 2:21 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Wade Garrett wrote:
>
>> If I write a batch file to do something out of batch commands, how do
>> I get
>> that batch file to put in the Windows header bar the name of that file?
>>
>> Is there an "output to the window title" command in Windows batch
>> language?
>
> only at the time you start the batch, not afterwards.

the TITLE command changes the title of the current window at anytime
while the batch is running.

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<1jq3o1a9tme7f.ws0n7yh79yo8.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=318&group=alt.msdos.batch#318

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 05:22:27 +0700
 by: JJ - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 22:22 UTC

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:11:17 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 2/8/2023 2:21 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Wade Garrett wrote:
>>
>>> If I write a batch file to do something out of batch commands, how do
>>> I get
>>> that batch file to put in the Windows header bar the name of that file?
>>>
>>> Is there an "output to the window title" command in Windows batch
>>> language?
>>
>> only at the time you start the batch, not afterwards.
>>
> the TITLE command changes the title of the current window at anytime
> while the batch is running.

The annoying thing about the TITLE command is that, there's no way to
restore the original title back, after it has been changed.

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<k5f8uh9lsj09pqphmmp9trtkobt2p7o2pu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=319&group=alt.msdos.batch#319

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 18:23:28 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 00:23 UTC

On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 05:22:27 +0700, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:11:17 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:

>>> only at the time you start the batch, not afterwards.
>>>
>> the TITLE command changes the title of the current window at anytime
>> while the batch is running.
>
>The annoying thing about the TITLE command is that, there's no way to
>restore the original title back, after it has been changed.

Can you store it in a string variable, so that you can set it back to
the original value later?

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<ts1gt0$u8qa$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=320&group=alt.msdos.batch#320

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 20:05:50 -0500
 by: Wade Garrett - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 01:05 UTC

On 2/8/2023 7:23 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
>>> the TITLE command changes the title of the current window at anytime
>>> while the batch is running.
>>
>>The annoying thing about the TITLE command is that, there's no way to
>>restore the original title back, after it has been changed.
>
> Can you store it in a string variable, so that you can set it back to
> the original value later?

What's needed is that string variable to get the file name because the file
name changes depending on the use, and then save it into that variable.

Something like this pseudo code

set TITLE=getfilename(current batch file name)
--
Maybe I was raised wrong, but I was taught if you wanted something,
you worked for it.

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<ts1kfh$c15v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=321&group=alt.msdos.batch#321

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 21:06:41 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 02:06 UTC

On 2/8/2023 5:22 PM, JJ wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:11:17 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:

>>> only at the time you start the batch, not afterwards.
>>>
>> the TITLE command changes the title of the current window at anytime
>> while the batch is running.
>
> The annoying thing about the TITLE command is that, there's no way to
> restore the original title back, after it has been changed.
what would be the purpose?
You may issue the TITLE as many times as you would like. I have a batch
that at start sets a title (.xyz.bat) to differentiate it from the bat
file itself (_xyz.bat) and then near the end of the batch sets a new
Title (0) so that the batch can run a second time without interference
to the first CMD window which stays open. I have a %1 variable to
position the CMD windows so they do not overlap using Nirsoft's
Multimonitortool

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<20230209100253.e52162cf28bd87d9e397ce13@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=322&group=alt.msdos.batch#322

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 10:02:53 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 10:02 UTC

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 20:05:50 -0500
Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

> >>The annoying thing about the TITLE command is that, there's no way to
> >>restore the original title back, after it has been changed.
> >
> > Can you store it in a string variable, so that you can set it back to
> > the original value later?
>
> What's needed is that string variable to get the file name because the file
> name changes depending on the use, and then save it into that variable.
>
> Something like this pseudo code
>
> set TITLE=getfilename(current batch file name)

/That/'s easy:
title %0

Otherwise yes, set a string var:

set mytitle="Have a Nice Day"
rem set
title %mytitle%
pause
rem change
title temporary title
pause
rem restore
title %mytitle%

but yes, AFAICT there's no way to pick up the current title string.
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<MPG.3e4eb3c3275868f1990055@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=323&group=alt.msdos.batch#323

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 07:40:26 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 15:40 UTC

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:11:17 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:

> On 2/8/2023 2:21 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Wade Garrett wrote:
> >
> >> If I write a batch file to do something out of batch commands,
> >> how do I get that batch file to put in the Windows header bar
> >> the name of that file?
> >>
> >> Is there an "output to the window title" command in Windows batch
> >> language?
> >
> > only at the time you start the batch, not afterwards.
> >
> the TITLE command changes the title of the current window at anytime
> while the batch is running.

Wow - I thought I was pretty good with CMD, but that's a new one on
me. It works in both native Windows CMD and TCC/LE. Thanks!

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Batch command to put the file name in the Window header bar

<MPG.3e504ae9cafa97a9989a4a@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=324&group=alt.msdos.batch#324

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:37:32 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:37 UTC

In article <MPG.3e4eb3c3275868f1990055@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
wrote...

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:11:17 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:

> > > only at the time you start the batch, not afterwards.
> > >
> > the TITLE command changes the title of the current window at anytime
> > while the batch is running.
>
> Wow - I thought I was pretty good with CMD, but that's a new one on
> me. It works in both native Windows CMD and TCC/LE. Thanks!

One thing you could do is start a new command interpreter instance, using the
CMD command. Set the TITLE in that, and it's visible in the title bar, but
when you EXIT the layered instance, the original title is visible again.
Commands:

> TITLE First
> CMD
> TITLE Second
> EXIT

... obviously you'd include other commands, depending on what you wanted to do.

--

Phil, London