Klingon phaser attack from front!!!!! 100% Damage to life support!!!!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

SubjectAuthor
* Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidNewsKrawler
+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidFrank Slootweg
|+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidJ. P. Gilliver (John)
||`- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidFrank Slootweg
|`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
| +- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
| `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidbadgolferman
|`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidTheo
| `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
|`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
| `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidChris
 `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
  +* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  | `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |  `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  |   `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |    `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  +* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  |+- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
  | `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |  `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  |   +* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |   |`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  |   | `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAlan
  |   `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAlan
  `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidChris
   +- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
   `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
    +- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
    `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidChris
     `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
      `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam

Pages:12
Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3cfno$qe8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30379&group=comp.mobile.android#30379

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:06:32 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:06 UTC

On 2022-04-15 11:13 a.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> almost always, the lack of a particular app is because there is
>> insufficient demand to bother writing it.
>
> Then why do respectable developers complain they aren't allowed on iOS?

Such as... ...who?

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3cfps$qe8$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30380&group=comp.mobile.android#30380

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:07:40 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:07 UTC

On 2022-04-15 11:47 a.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:

>>> Then why do respectable developers complain they aren't allowed on iOS?
>>
>> respectable developers don't do that.
>
> Yes they do. Quite often. Apple _cripples_ app functionality in iOS.
> The reason the iPhone is crippled isn't the hardware - it's Apple.
>
>> of the developers that do complain, it's almost always because they
>> don't know how to do something and instead of investigating what to do,
>> they prefer to blame someone else than accept the fact they're inept.
>
> The developers of the Tor Browser outright say Apple _crippled_ privacy.
>
> *Can I run Tor Browser on an iOS device?*
> <https://support.torproject.org/tormobile/tormobile-3/>
> "Apple requires browsers on iOS to use something called Webkit,  which
> prevents Onion Browser from having the same privacy protections  as Tor
> Browser."

Which is not the same thing as you just claimed.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221535370155%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30381&group=comp.mobile.android#30381

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:35:37 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:35 UTC

In article <t3cfeg$10k9$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> What happens in a search of graphical wifi debuggers on Android verses on iOS?

as you've repeatedly been told, that is due to a lack of demand,
especially now that modern wifi routers, in particular, mesh units,
configure themselves.

nevertheless, it's *trivial* to write such an app. sample the wifi and
use that as a data source for a graphing framework.

> > if you're actually finding 'zillions' on android and nothing on ios,
> > then your search skills need work, among other things.
>
> What happens when you search for app launchers on Android verses on iOS?

nobody but you gives a shit about app launchers.

what happens when you search for homekit, healthkit, arkit, uwb,
lidar, continuity camera, handoff, universal control, passkey, pro raw,
tap-to-pay, share play, share extensions, clubhouse, walking
steadiness, keychain, legacy, proximity notification, cinematic mode,
core data, catalyst, object capture or shortcuts?

on android, it's crickets. that's what. either there's nothing or
there's a relatively poor implementation.

this is *impossible* on android, and even better, it requires *no*
additional apps on ios or mac os. it's *part* *of* *the* *os*:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkI95LYMLmQ>

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3cjh7$s5c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30387&group=comp.mobile.android#30387

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 21:11:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 20:11 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> What happens in a search of graphical wifi debuggers on Android verses on iOS?
>
> as you've repeatedly been told, that is due to a lack of demand,
> especially now that modern wifi routers, in particular, mesh units,
> configure themselves.

The way I know you have a low IQ nospam is you can't even keep your lame
excuses for the fact that Apple _cripples_ the iPhone in app functionality.

> nevertheless, it's *trivial* to write such an app. sample the wifi and
> use that as a data source for a graphing framework.

I need to be more gentle with you low-IQ iKooks who claim that the iPhone is
so crippled that you have to write your own apps to get basic functionality.

>>> if you're actually finding 'zillions' on android and nothing on ios,
>>> then your search skills need work, among other things.
>>
>> What happens when you search for app launchers on Android verses on iOS?
>
> nobody but you gives a shit about app launchers.

And yet, there are many hundreds of millions of app launcher installations.
Just none on iOS.
> what happens when you search for homekit, healthkit, arkit, uwb,
> lidar, continuity camera, handoff, universal control, passkey, pro raw,
> tap-to-pay, share play, share extensions, clubhouse, walking
> steadiness, keychain, legacy, proximity notification, cinematic mode,
> core data, catalyst, object capture or shortcuts?

Again, you post a meaningless bullshit list you merely copied from an Apple
advertisement, where I am _consistent_ that when you do that, I always ask
you to simply pick the most important one of the above and I'll research it
and prove you wrong.

Go ahead.
Pick just one.

Every time you have tried, I showed it was on Android long ago, nospam.
Pick just one.

> on android, it's crickets. that's what. either there's nothing or
> there's a relatively poor implementation.

Your list is meaningless nospam.
Pick the most important item and I'll show you that you're wrong.

Pick just one.
Go ahead.

Pick the most important bullshit item in the list & we'll flesh it out.
Pick it.

> this is *impossible* on android, and even better, it requires *no*
> additional apps on ios or mac os. it's *part* *of* *the* *os*:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkI95LYMLmQ>

The reason iOS is crippled nospam has very little to do with the hardware.
Google can't restrict what apps can do but Apple certainly can and does.
--
There is _zero_ iOS app functionality not already on Android.
And yet, there is tons of app functionality on iOS which isn't on iOS.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3eh2i.bk4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30446&group=comp.mobile.android#30446

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 16 Apr 2022 11:45:24 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:45 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 12:06:14, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> wrote: (my responses usually follow points raised):
> > FYI, for Samsung phones, such an app already exists, Samsung Smart
> > Switch.
> >
> > 'Switch from iPhone to Samsung'
> > <https://www.samsung.com/us/support/switch-to-galaxy/iphone>
> >
> > AFAIK, for iPhone to Samsung phone, you use the Smart Switch app only
> > on the Samsung/Android side. (For any Android phone to Samsung phone,
> > you use the Smart Switch app on both phones.)
>
> Does that Samsung Smart Switch app bring over all the iMessages?

AFAICT, it can bring over some - but not all - iMessages.

If you click on the item '06 Not all data transfers', the picture on
the left says:

"Data that can't be transferred
Messages

* Messages with iMessage effects"

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3eg29$69e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30448&group=comp.mobile.android#30448

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:24:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:23Hr0UvlkJNQyYAtm9i/TBwj6Iw=
 by: Chris - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:24 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/2022 10:27 AM, Chris wrote:
>> On 15/04/2022 14:33, sms wrote:
>>>

>>> When I got an iPhone the bigger issue of migrating over, that these
>>> apps don't address, is automatically installing apps, even when the
>>> same app from the same source is available for both platforms. That
>>> should be an option.
>>
>> I doubt very much there's a safe way to implement that. It would be open
>> to abuse via spoofing.
>
> I think that they could implement it in a safe way. They can present a
> list of installed apps and have the user indicate which ones, for apps
> that have the same name from the same publisher, the user wants to
> install.

It'll be trivial to insert a spoofed malware app in the list. People aren't
going to go through the 50+ apps they've installed to check that each
pairing is correct.

> A lot of apps are ones that are very popular, looking at my
> iPhone and Android phones, the number of more esoteric apps is pretty
> small, while the number of apps that the two platforms have in common is
> pretty large.

It'll only take one rogue app to foul this up.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3elh3$dov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30457&group=comp.mobile.android#30457

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 07:57:39 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:57 UTC

On 4/16/2022 6:24 AM, Chris wrote:

<snip>

> It'll be trivial to insert a spoofed malware app in the list. People aren't
> going to go through the 50+ apps they've installed to check that each
> pairing is correct.

Do you really believe that an app written by Google or Apple is going to
include a malware app? And remember, they would only offer to install
apps that are on the App Store or the Play Store, all of which are
presumably screened for malware.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<160420221125161115%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30458&group=comp.mobile.android#30458

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:25:16 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:25 UTC

In article <t3elh3$dov$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> > It'll be trivial to insert a spoofed malware app in the list. People aren't
> > going to go through the 50+ apps they've installed to check that each
> > pairing is correct.
>
> Do you really believe that an app written by Google or Apple is going to
> include a malware app?

the risk is third parties having access to purchase data.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<QJg*iISLy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30494&group=comp.mobile.android#30494

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 16 Apr 2022 21:08:02 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:08 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:
>
> > That list does not include messages, so it appears the app won't be able to
> > transfer those, though it will walk you through how to turn off iMessage so
> > "you don't miss text messages from friends and family.
>
> Why wouldn't text messages go to both the old iOS on wi-fi perhaps and also
> to the new Android sms & mms app on either wi-fi or cellular data internet?

When you are signed up for iMessage, if somebody with an iPhone sends you a
message it'll go via iMessage and not SMS or MMS. If you don't turn off
iMessage the messages will queue in iMessage and won't be delivered to your
new Android, even if you swap the SIM over. There isn't iMessage for
Android so anything in iMessage will stay there forever (or until you turn
your old iPhone on again).

You would never get SMS or MMS on more than one device at a time. The
device with the SIM in is the one that gets them.

Theo

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3ff1m$dfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30505&group=comp.mobile.android#30505

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:13:11 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:13 UTC

On 4/16/2022 1:08 PM, Theo wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:
>>
>>> That list does not include messages, so it appears the app won't be able to
>>> transfer those, though it will walk you through how to turn off iMessage so
>>> "you don't miss text messages from friends and family.
>>
>> Why wouldn't text messages go to both the old iOS on wi-fi perhaps and also
>> to the new Android sms & mms app on either wi-fi or cellular data internet?
>
> When you are signed up for iMessage, if somebody with an iPhone sends you a
> message it'll go via iMessage and not SMS or MMS. If you don't turn off
> iMessage the messages will queue in iMessage and won't be delivered to your
> new Android, even if you swap the SIM over. There isn't iMessage for
> Android so anything in iMessage will stay there forever (or until you turn
> your old iPhone on again).
>
> You would never get SMS or MMS on more than one device at a time. The
> device with the SIM in is the one that gets them.

Not quite true. Years ago I ported my main mobile number to Google
Voice. Now, SMS and MMS to that number get sent to all my mobile phones
as well as to e-mail. It's very useful, especially when traveling
outside the U.S. and using a foreign SIM card. Of course outside the
U.S., most of the places I travel to are not using SMS or MMS, they are
using WhatsApp or WeChat or Line.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t51pig$bla$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31759&group=comp.mobile.android#31759

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 17:19:28 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 6 May 2022 00:19 UTC

On 4/14/2022 7:04 PM, sms wrote:
> On 4/13/2022 10:06 PM, NewsKrawler wrote:
>> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/13/23024399/google-switch-to-android-iphone-app-unlisted
>>
>> Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android
>>
>> The unlisted Switch to Android app for iOS is now available to download
>> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1581816143
>>
>> Google has quietly released a free app for iOS to help you easily
>> carry over
>> data from an iPhone to an Android device. The Switch To Android app works
>> wirelessly, meaning you won't have to worry about connecting the two
>> phones
>> with a cable.
>
> Somehow I don't think that this app is going to make much of a
> difference. There will continue to be migration in both directions.

Well perhaps I spoke too soon, at least for the U.S.. See
<https://www.phonearena.com/news/motorola-samsung-market-share-rocket-in-us-q1-2022_id139999>.

Comparing Q1 2021 to Q1 2022, there was a significant change in market
share in the U.S.. Apple went down by 7%, Motorola went up by 6%,
Samsung went up by 3%. In total Android was up from 46% to 53% and Apple
was down 54% to 47%.

But it's unlikely that that Google "secret" iOS app had anything to do
with this, it's more that the iPhone 12 did so well as the first 5G
iPhone that there were less people buying the incrementally changed
iPhone 13 which accounted for the reduced demand, see
<https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-tells-suppliers-demand-iphone-13-lineup-has-weakened-bloomberg-news-2021-12-02/>.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<050520222051563028%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31765&group=comp.mobile.android#31765

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 20:51:56 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 6 May 2022 00:51 UTC

In article <t51pig$bla$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> But it's unlikely that that Google "secret" iOS app had anything to do
> with this, it's more that the iPhone 12 did so well as the first 5G
> iPhone that there were less people buying the incrementally changed
> iPhone 13 which accounted for the reduced demand,

that is of course, completely wrong.

<https://hypebeast.com/2021/11/apple-iphone-13-reportedly-sold-more-unit
s-than-iphone-12
The sales for the iPhone 13 have exceeded the iPhone 12, which
already had record-breaking numbers. Sales of the iPhone 13 in the
U.S. for the first six weeks were approximately 14% higher than the
iPhone 12 during the same period. Apple launched four models of the
iPhone 13 but in just the first three weeks of release, it exceeded
the iPhone 12¹s sales volume when just two models were available.

<https://pocketnow.com/iphone-13-was-king-global-smartphone-revenue-reco
rd-breaking-numbers-2021>
According to this data, Apple¹s iPhone revenue may have increased by
35 percent year on year to reach a whopping $196 billion in 2021,
which would make this its highest ever quarterly revenue. These
numbers also helped Apple get 44 percent of total global smartphone
revenue.

<https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/03/23/apple-still-selling-more-iph
one-13-models-than-past-lineups-via-carrier-channels>
Sales of Apple's iPhone 13 models remain elevated compared to prior
lineups despite supply constraints, according to new carrier research
data obtained by JP Morgan.

apple has also stated in their earnings calls that the iphone 13 is the
best selling iphone to date.

> see
> <https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-tells-suppliers-demand-iphone-13-lineup-has-weakened-bloomberg-news-2021-12-02/>.

that doesn't mean sales are slow, which the above links clearly show
that they are not.