From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Why the Halting Problem theorem is invalid
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 15:55:53 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sat, 7 May 2022 14:55 UTC

Why the Halting Problem theorem is invalid:

An infinite recursion of a program isn't in of itself invalid (it could
just be considered a case of non-halting) however as far as [Turing,
1936] as elaborated by [Strachey, 1965] is concerned the recursion
involves an infinitely recursive invocation of the decider itself. This
is the category error.

/Flibble

Re: Why the Halting Problem theorem is invalid

<t5620d$6ls$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31857&group=comp.theory#31857

From: mikko.le...@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Why the Halting Problem theorem is invalid
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 18:07:57 +0300
 by: Mikko - Sat, 7 May 2022 15:07 UTC

On 2022-05-07 14:55:53 +0000, Mr Flibble said:

> Why the Halting Problem theorem is invalid:
>
> An infinite recursion of a program isn't in of itself invalid (it could
> just be considered a case of non-halting) however as far as [Turing,
> 1936] as elaborated by [Strachey, 1965] is concerned the recursion
> involves an infinitely recursive invocation of the decider itself. This
> is the category error.
>
> /Flibble

If there were a category error, there would be an erroneous sentence
that contains it. If there is no such sentence there can be no
category error.

No such sentence is identified quoted, so we know that no categoty
error is found. It cannot be called "found" if its place is unknown.
Therefore, nothing credible is said in the message quoted above.

Mikko

Re: Why the Halting Problem theorem is invalid

<20220507164018.00006a64@reddwarf.jmc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31860&group=comp.theory#31860

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 16:40:18 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sat, 7 May 2022 15:40 UTC

On Sat, 7 May 2022 18:07:57 +0300
Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 2022-05-07 14:55:53 +0000, Mr Flibble said:
>
> > Why the Halting Problem theorem is invalid:
> >
> > An infinite recursion of a program isn't in of itself invalid (it
> > could just be considered a case of non-halting) however as far as
> > [Turing, 1936] as elaborated by [Strachey, 1965] is concerned the
> > recursion involves an infinitely recursive invocation of the
> > decider itself. This is the category error.
> >
> > /Flibble
>
> If there were a category error, there would be an erroneous sentence
> that contains it. If there is no such sentence there can be no
> category error.
>
> No such sentence is identified quoted, so we know that no categoty
> error is found. It cannot be called "found" if its place is unknown.
> Therefore, nothing credible is said in the message quoted above.

The categories involved in the category error are the decider and that
which is being decided.

/Flibble