Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time.

devel / comp.theory / Re: Next move [ truth itself is broken ]

SubjectAuthor
* Next moveMr Flibble
+* Next moveMikko
|`* Next moveolcott
| +* Next moveMr Flibble
| |`- Next moveolcott
| `- Next moveRichard Damon
`* Next moveMr Flibble
 `* Next moveolcott
  +* Next movePython
  |`* Next move [ truth itself is broken ]olcott
  | +- Next move [ truth itself is broken ]Richard Damon
  | `- Next moveBen
  `- Next moveRichard Damon

1
Next move

<20220507233807.0000226c@reddwarf.jmc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31892&group=comp.theory#31892

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Next move
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 23:38:07 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sat, 7 May 2022 22:38 UTC

What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm to
establish if a program and its inputs halt.

First up: functional requirements.

/Flibble

Re: Next move

<t57r7a$dmi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31926&group=comp.theory#31926

From: mikko.le...@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Next move
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 10:24:26 +0300
 by: Mikko - Sun, 8 May 2022 07:24 UTC

On 2022-05-07 22:38:07 +0000, Mr Flibble said:

> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
> by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm to
> establish if a program and its inputs halt.
>
> First up: functional requirements.

You havn't established anything. Your bluff about the category error
is too easy to expose. You should try equivocation error instead. Then
you can claim a longer chain of equivocations if nothing else helps.

Mikko

Re: Next move

<20220509000306.0000036f@reddwarf.jmc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31964&group=comp.theory#31964

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 00:03:06 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 8 May 2022 23:03 UTC

On Sat, 7 May 2022 23:38:07 +0100
Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> wrote:

> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
> by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm
> to establish if a program and its inputs halt.
>
> First up: functional requirements.
>
> /Flibble
Seriously embarrassing. Mr Flibble is very cross. :D

/Flibble

Re: Next move

<jMednUxLZ5br5eX_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31972&group=comp.theory#31972

Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 21:12:04 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 9 May 2022 02:12 UTC

On 5/8/2022 6:03 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2022 23:38:07 +0100
> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> wrote:
>
>> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
>> by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm
>> to establish if a program and its inputs halt.
>>
>> First up: functional requirements.
>>
>> /Flibble
>
> Seriously embarrassing. Mr Flibble is very cross. :D
>
> /Flibble

When the correct simulation of the input to H(P,P) specifies infinite
recursion then P never reaches the contradictory part and H can
correctly recognize this infinite behavior pattern and reject this input.

The first three pages of this paper examine this concretely as actually
executed in the x86utm operating system:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/359984584_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation_V5

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Next move

<t59u8v$du7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31974&group=comp.theory#31974

From: pyt...@example.invalid (Python)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 04:28:46 +0200
 by: Python - Mon, 9 May 2022 02:28 UTC

Peter Olcott wrote:
> On 5/8/2022 6:03 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 May 2022 23:38:07 +0100
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> wrote:
>>
>>> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
>>> by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm
>>> to establish if a program and its inputs halt.
>>>
>>> First up: functional requirements.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>> Seriously embarrassing. Mr Flibble is very cross. :D
>>
>> /Flibble
>>

> When the correct simulation of the input to H(P,P) specifies infinite
> recursion then P never reaches the contradictory part and H can
> correctly recognize this infinite behavior pattern and reject this input.
>
> The first three pages of this paper examine this concretely as actually
> executed in the x86utm operating system:

Peter, you should consider seriously what's just happened with Mr
Flibble.

This is a very unusual, hence deserving to be pointed out, situation :
someone (Mr Flibble) wrong on Usenet (or Internet for that matters...)
admitted after only a few weeks of posting nonsense that he was actually
wrong.

After all these years of crankery, could you exhibit the the same
integrity?

Re: Next move

<L8%dK.4630$arR.3731@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31975&group=comp.theory#31975

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:38:35 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 9 May 2022 02:38 UTC

On 5/8/22 10:12 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/8/2022 6:03 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 May 2022 23:38:07 +0100
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> wrote:
>>
>>> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
>>> by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm
>>> to establish if a program and its inputs halt.
>>>
>>> First up: functional requirements.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>> Seriously embarrassing. Mr Flibble is very cross. :D
>>
>> /Flibble
>>

> When the correct simulation of the input to H(P,P) specifies infinite
> recursion then P never reaches the contradictory part and H can
> correctly recognize this infinite behavior pattern and reject this input.
>
> The first three pages of this paper examine this concretely as actually
> executed in the x86utm operating system:
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/359984584_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation_V5

Only because you are't defining your condition to be that of a halt decider.

H(P,P), if H IS a Halt Decider, must report TRUE if P(P) Halts, which
since YOUR H(P,P) returns FALSE, it will.

Your little ditty about that H must only compute based on the behavior
of its actual input is incorrect, at the the way you try to define it.

A decider is only ABLE to compute a result based on some sequence of
states that the decider goes through driven by its input, but to be a
"something" decider, that result must match the "something" function.

TO be a HALT decider, that mapping is based on the behavior of the
machine/input its input repreents, even if that isn't exactly what H can
get from that input.

If you claim that H isn't "allowed" to decide on that, then you are just
stating that it is actually impossible to make a halt decider (and thus
proving the theory) since if you can't build an input for your decider,
then you can't ask it the right question, so it can't correctly decide
the needed question.

Mixing up that abilities and the requirements of a Halt Decider just
shows you are making a category error in your logic, which is actually
proving the statement you are trying to disprove.

Re: Next move [ truth itself is broken ]

<FrudnTkQTvwMFeX_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31976&group=comp.theory#31976

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:20:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Next move [ truth itself is broken ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 9 May 2022 03:20 UTC

On 5/8/2022 9:28 PM, Python wrote:
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>> On 5/8/2022 6:03 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> Seriously embarrassing. Mr Flibble is very cross. :D
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> When the correct simulation of the input to H(P,P) specifies infinite
>> recursion then P never reaches the contradictory part and H can
>> correctly recognize this infinite behavior pattern and reject this input.
>>
>> The first three pages of this paper examine this concretely as
>> actually executed in the x86utm operating system:
>
> Peter, you should consider seriously what's just happened with Mr
> Flibble.
>
> This is a very unusual, hence deserving to be pointed out, situation :
> someone  (Mr Flibble) wrong on Usenet (or Internet for that matters...)
> admitted after only a few weeks of posting nonsense that he was actually
> wrong.
>
> After all these years of crankery, could you exhibit the the same
> integrity?

My biggest mistake that cost me credibility was that I was not
using the conventional terms of the art in their conventional way.

Now I am using subtle nuances the conventional terms of the art that are
too subtle for anyone besides one computer science professor that I have
spoken with.

I have never been wrong in the essence of what I have been saying.

The reason that I keep going on Gödel(1931), Tarski(1936), Turing(1936)
is because if these things are correct then truth itself is broken.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Next move [ truth itself is broken ]

<mA6eK.10265$E3G.1368@fx06.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31978&group=comp.theory#31978

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 07:05:54 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 9 May 2022 11:05 UTC

On 5/8/22 11:20 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/8/2022 9:28 PM, Python wrote:
>> Peter Olcott wrote:

>>> When the correct simulation of the input to H(P,P) specifies infinite
>>> recursion then P never reaches the contradictory part and H can
>>> correctly recognize this infinite behavior pattern and reject this
>>> input.
>>>
>>> The first three pages of this paper examine this concretely as
>>> actually executed in the x86utm operating system:
>>
>> Peter, you should consider seriously what's just happened with Mr
>> Flibble.
>>
>> This is a very unusual, hence deserving to be pointed out, situation :
>> someone  (Mr Flibble) wrong on Usenet (or Internet for that matters...)
>> admitted after only a few weeks of posting nonsense that he was actually
>> wrong.
>>
>> After all these years of crankery, could you exhibit the the same
>> integrity?
>>

> My biggest mistake that cost me credibility was that I was not
> using the conventional terms of the art in their conventional way.
>
> Now I am using subtle nuances the conventional terms of the art that are
> too subtle for anyone besides one computer science professor that I have
> spoken with.

No, you are still not using the Terms of Art in there correct way.

> I have never been wrong in the essence of what I have been saying.

Nope, you are WRONG.

> The reason that I keep going on Gödel(1931), Tarski(1936), Turing(1936)
> is because if these things are correct then truth itself is broken.

Nope, you are just wrong about Truth.

You seem to have a problem with this, but it is true, there ARE things
that are true but not provable.

Those things will not be in what is called "Knowledge", because you can
only truly KNOW things are true that can be proven.

Note, epistemology discusses KNOWLEDGE, not TRUTH. It asks about what is
KNOWN, not what it TRUE.

Your confusion of these two terms seems to be the root of your problems,
and you are sacrificing Truth because of that.

Re: Next move

<8735hisuj5.fsf_-_@bsb.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31981&group=comp.theory#31981

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 14:30:22 +0100
 by: Ben - Mon, 9 May 2022 13:30 UTC

olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

> On 5/8/2022 9:28 PM, Python wrote:

>> Peter, you should consider seriously what's just happened with Mr
>> Flibble.
>>
>> This is a very unusual, hence deserving to be pointed out, situation :
>> someone  (Mr Flibble) wrong on Usenet (or Internet for that matters...)
>> admitted after only a few weeks of posting nonsense that he was actually
>> wrong.
>>
>> After all these years of crankery, could you exhibit the the same
>> integrity?
>
> My biggest mistake that cost me credibility was that I was not
> using the conventional terms of the art in their conventional way.

Sadly that now includes the term "halting problem". It's defined to be
something you now simply reject. The term, when used by you, allows a
"halt decider" TM to reject at least one string that encodes a halting
computation.

Given this simple and obvious problem, it's clear that you purpose is
simply to chat with people about stuff. There can't be any greater
purpose.

--
Ben.
"le génie humain a des limites, quand la bêtise humaine n’en a pas"

Re: Next move

<sdydnYbI-KSNquT_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31992&group=comp.theory#31992

Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 10:45:19 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:45 UTC

On 5/8/2022 2:24 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2022-05-07 22:38:07 +0000, Mr Flibble said:
>
>> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
>> by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm to
>> establish if a program and its inputs halt.
>>
>> First up: functional requirements.
>
> You havn't established anything. Your bluff about the category error
> is too easy to expose. You should try equivocation error instead. Then
> you can claim a longer chain of equivocations if nothing else helps.
>
> Mikko

Flibble's idea of a category error is a brilliant new insight.
It covers most pathological self-reference error.

The huge mistake of logic is that it simply assumes that an expression
of language that is not true must be false, simply assuming all of the
errors away.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Next move

<20220509183409.0000652d@reddwarf.jmc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32018&group=comp.theory#32018

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 18:34:09 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 9 May 2022 17:34 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 10:45:19 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 5/8/2022 2:24 AM, Mikko wrote:
> > On 2022-05-07 22:38:07 +0000, Mr Flibble said:
> >
> >> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as
> >> elaborated by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a
> >> general algorithm to establish if a program and its inputs halt.
> >>
> >> First up: functional requirements.
> >
> > You havn't established anything. Your bluff about the category error
> > is too easy to expose. You should try equivocation error instead.
> > Then you can claim a longer chain of equivocations if nothing else
> > helps.
> >
> > Mikko
> >

> Flibble's idea of a category error is a brilliant new insight.
> It covers most pathological self-reference error.

Did you not read my retraction? I was in error: there is no
category error as there is no infinite recursion.

/Flibble

Re: Next move

<qr-dnYo2H8wpz-T_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32022&group=comp.theory#32022

Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 12:43:16 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 9 May 2022 17:43 UTC

On 5/9/2022 12:34 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2022 10:45:19 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

>>> You havn't established anything. Your bluff about the category error
>>> is too easy to expose. You should try equivocation error instead.
>>> Then you can claim a longer chain of equivocations if nothing else
>>> helps.
>>>
>>> Mikko
>>>

>> Flibble's idea of a category error is a brilliant new insight.
>> It covers most pathological self-reference error.
>
> Did you not read my retraction? I was in error: there is no
> category error as there is no infinite recursion.
>
> /Flibble

Although category error does not apply to the HP it does apply to
Gödel(1931), Tarski(1936) the Liar Paradox and possibly Russell's Paradox.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Next move

<peieK.57307$t72a.24876@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32085&group=comp.theory#32085

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 20:21:42 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 10 May 2022 00:21 UTC

On 5/9/22 11:45 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/8/2022 2:24 AM, Mikko wrote:
>> On 2022-05-07 22:38:07 +0000, Mr Flibble said:
>>
>>> What's the next move? We have established [Turing, 1936] as elaborated
>>> by [Strachey, 1965] is a nonsense so we now need a general algorithm to
>>> establish if a program and its inputs halt.
>>>
>>> First up: functional requirements.
>>
>> You havn't established anything. Your bluff about the category error
>> is too easy to expose. You should try equivocation error instead. Then
>> you can claim a longer chain of equivocations if nothing else helps.
>>
>> Mikko
>>

> Flibble's idea of a category error is a brilliant new insight.
> It covers most pathological self-reference error.
>
> The huge mistake of logic is that it simply assumes that an expression
> of language that is not true must be false, simply assuming all of the
> errors away.

But, if the statement can be shown to be a Truth bearer, then if it is
not true in MUST be false.

The statement "Machine M given input w Halts?", IS a Truth Bearer, as it
will either Halt, or it won't, there is not possible middle ground.

Just like given an integer, it will either be Even or Odd, there is no
other possibility. (There are no integers that are both even and odd at
the same time or neither even or odd).