From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Defrag an SSD
Date: 1 Apr 2023 18:46:22 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 18:46 UTC

Has the advice on not defragging SSds changed?

https://superuser.com/questions/1150641/should-i-defragment-my-ssd

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If Björn & Benny had been called Syd and Dave then ABBA would have been

Re: Defrag an SSD

<k8rditFl20U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3199&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3199

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Defrag an SSD
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 20:04:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:04 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Has the advice on not defragging SSds changed?

I let windows do what it wants in terms of TRIM and defrag, I just don't
worry about it ...

Re: Defrag an SSD

<k8t48aF93o0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3200&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3200

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 2 Apr 2023 10:38:02 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 10:38 UTC

On 1 Apr 2023 at 19:46:22 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> Has the advice on not defragging SSds changed?
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/1150641/should-i-defragment-my-ssd

No, don't bother. It's a completely pointless exercise. The fact that
it's not liable to kill your SSD through excess writes these days is
pretty orthogonal.

Recall that the point of defragging was to organise files into
contiguous streams so that a spinning disk read-head wouldn't need to
jump all over to get the file. Now consider a flash-based system where
changing which block you're reading from has no difference in time cost
no matter where the block is on the device address space - not to
mention that there are three layers of mapping in between where the OS
thinks a file is and which physical cells it's actually on so *Windows
doesn't even know what it's moving around*.

Leave this shit to the filesystem driver.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
No creature without tentacles had ever developed true intelligence.
- Robert Sheckley, "Hunting Problem"

Re: Defrag an SSD

<xn0o047ioq2vpgk01t@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3201&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3201

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 2 Apr 2023 10:56:33 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 10:56 UTC

On 02/04/2023 in message <k8t48aF93o0U1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
Vandenbergh wrote:

>On 1 Apr 2023 at 19:46:22 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Has the advice on not defragging SSds changed?
>>
>>https://superuser.com/questions/1150641/should-i-defragment-my-ssd
>
>No, don't bother. It's a completely pointless exercise. The fact that
>it's not liable to kill your SSD through excess writes these days is
>pretty orthogonal.
>
>Recall that the point of defragging was to organise files into
>contiguous streams so that a spinning disk read-head wouldn't need to
>jump all over to get the file. Now consider a flash-based system where
>changing which block you're reading from has no difference in time cost
>no matter where the block is on the device address space - not to
>mention that there are three layers of mapping in between where the OS
>thinks a file is and which physical cells it's actually on so *Windows
>doesn't even know what it's moving around*.
>
>Leave this shit to the filesystem driver.

Many thanks, that was my understanding just wondered if it had changed.
Like Andy Burns I leave Windows to decide what to do and it runs Trim
weekly but I think that's a different process.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.