Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

SubjectAuthor
* Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?Jesse Rehmer
+- Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?The Doctor
+- Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?Richard Kettlewell
+* Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?Thomas Hochstein
|`* Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k articlenoel
| `- Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?bje
+- Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k articleNigel Reed
`- Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?Borg

1
Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<t8l6pi$1fv9$1@spool1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=310&group=news.admin.peering#310

From: jesse.re...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Subject: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:50:26 -0500
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 18:50 UTC

I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
arrangements. However, I've begun a project to back fill my spool using
tools like pullnews and suck from a large spool.

I never changed INN's max. article size from 1000000. Out of curiosity,
after filling a few Big8 hierarchies from the upstream spool, I searched
the spool for articles >500k and to my surprise I've been missing out on
a lot of valid and (in my opinion) valuable articles.

I'm finding a ton of FAQs, some checkgroup messages, lots of source code
discussions, etc. that I've never seen before. I read a thread from a
few years ago where Russ Allbery mentions by not accepting articles up
to 1MB you may be missing out on quite a bit. From a very quick scan of
what I've found larger than 500k, he's right.

Seems I've been a bit hasty requesting peering parameters around a 256k
limit. I assume this common peering parameter was adopted to limit the
chances of misplaced binary articles coming through a feed, but am
wondering how "harmful" it is to have such low limits when I'm seeing a
high rate of valid communication that I believe many news admins would
want to carry?

Admittedly, it usually takes trial and error with peers using Cyclone
(and quite a few with Diablo who disable its internal article type
check) to properly configure their feeds not to leak binaries to
text-only peers, but I'm not seeing much of that these days.

Cheers,

Jesse

Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<t8lj4f$2d77$65@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=311&group=news.admin.peering#311

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 22:21:03 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 22:21 UTC

In article <t8l6pi$1fv9$1@spool1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>,
Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:
>I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
>peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
>arrangements. However, I've begun a project to back fill my spool using
>tools like pullnews and suck from a large spool.
>
>I never changed INN's max. article size from 1000000. Out of curiosity,
>after filling a few Big8 hierarchies from the upstream spool, I searched
>the spool for articles >500k and to my surprise I've been missing out on
>a lot of valid and (in my opinion) valuable articles.
>
>I'm finding a ton of FAQs, some checkgroup messages, lots of source code
>discussions, etc. that I've never seen before. I read a thread from a
>few years ago where Russ Allbery mentions by not accepting articles up
>to 1MB you may be missing out on quite a bit. From a very quick scan of
>what I've found larger than 500k, he's right.
>
>Seems I've been a bit hasty requesting peering parameters around a 256k
>limit. I assume this common peering parameter was adopted to limit the
>chances of misplaced binary articles coming through a feed, but am
>wondering how "harmful" it is to have such low limits when I'm seeing a
>high rate of valid communication that I believe many news admins would
>want to carry?
>
>Admittedly, it usually takes trial and error with peers using Cyclone
>(and quite a few with Diablo who disable its internal article type
>check) to properly configure their feeds not to leak binaries to
>text-only peers, but I'm not seeing much of that these days.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jesse

Try

:Tm,<512000 .
Denial of our faults condemns us to their permanence. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<87czf5xdet.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=312&group=news.admin.peering#312

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 09:31:22 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 08:31 UTC

Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> writes:
> I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
> peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
> arrangements. However, I've begun a project to back fill my spool
> using tools like pullnews and suck from a large spool.
>
> I never changed INN's max. article size from 1000000. Out of
> curiosity, after filling a few Big8 hierarchies from the upstream
> spool, I searched the spool for articles >500k and to my surprise I've
> been missing out on a lot of valid and (in my opinion) valuable
> articles.

I track what the largest articles in my spool are and I don’t think I’ve
seen anything over 500Kbyte - locally at least, the largest tend to be
in the 100-120Kbyte region.

A lot of the larger articles are spam - 8 of a recent top 10 were copies
of the same article, for instance. For this reason I’ve now adopted a
much lower EMP threshold for large articles.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<nap.20220620203930.1011@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=314&group=news.admin.peering#314

From: thh...@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 20:39:32 +0200
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:39 UTC

Jesse Rehmer wrote:

> I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
> peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
> arrangements.

That seems rather small.

> I'm finding a ton of FAQs, some checkgroup messages, lots of source code
> discussions, etc. that I've never seen before.

Yep.

> I assume this common peering parameter was adopted to limit the
> chances of misplaced binary articles coming through a feed, but am
> wondering how "harmful" it is to have such low limits when I'm seeing a
> high rate of valid communication that I believe many news admins would
> want to carry?

It seems wrong to filter on size if you really want to filter on type.
Cleanfeed can block binaries in non-binary groups, regardless of size;
then you can accept text-only messages regardless of size, too.

-thh

Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<62b193ee$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=315&group=news.admin.peering#315

From: deletet...@invalid.lan (noel)
Subject: Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article
size?
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: 21 Jun 2022 19:48:30 +1000
 by: noel - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 09:48 UTC

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 20:39:32 +0200, Thomas Hochstein wrote:

> Jesse Rehmer wrote:
>
>> I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
>> peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
>> arrangements.
>
> That seems rather small.

If you've got half megabyte text posts, they are not text but binaries
hiding as text, either that or its a year long thread and everyone is too
clueless to trim their damn posts, sure the odd FAQ post might get caught
up in it, but its gonna be rare.

Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<t8soub$5ve$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=317&group=news.admin.peering#317

From: bje...@ripco.com
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:43:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bje...@ripco.com - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:43 UTC

noel <deletethis@invalid.lan> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 20:39:32 +0200, Thomas Hochstein wrote:
>
>> Jesse Rehmer wrote:
>>
>>> I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
>>> peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
>>> arrangements.
>>
>> That seems rather small.
>>

> If you've got half megabyte text posts, they are not text but binaries
> hiding as text, either that or its a year long thread and everyone is too
> clueless to trim their damn posts, sure the odd FAQ post might get caught
> up in it, but its gonna be rare.

I'm in total agreement.

Even at a 250k limit, anyone still on a 80x24 character screen (like me)
would be going through 130 pages.

The largest post I can find on my spool is just a bit over 210k and it's
just a faq that probably no one reads.

I really would like to know what posts Jesse found that would be of any
interest to anyone in the 500k to 1m range.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<20220622030437.2b373ea6@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=320&group=news.admin.peering#320

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
size?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 03:04:37 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:04 UTC

On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:50:26 -0500
Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
> peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
> arrangements. However, I've begun a project to back fill my spool
> using tools like pullnews and suck from a large spool.
>
> I never changed INN's max. article size from 1000000. Out of
> curiosity, after filling a few Big8 hierarchies from the upstream
> spool, I searched the spool for articles >500k and to my surprise
> I've been missing out on a lot of valid and (in my opinion) valuable
> articles.

Four of my ten peers (I'm always open to more) have requested
restrictions from 131972 to 512000. I have no restriction here.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Are text-only peers being too restrictive at <256k article size?

<tb0s1f$3kj1g$2@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=399&group=news.admin.peering#399

From: resista...@is.futile (Borg)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 06:33:49 -0500
 by: Borg - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 11:33 UTC

On 6/18/22 13:50, Jesse Rehmer wrote:
> I have followed what seems like a general consensus among text-only
> peers to limit article size at 128/256k when setting up peering
> arrangements.

[...]

In the past I have used servers that limited posts to 32k and 64k. If I
were running a server today I would probably limit new posts to 64k. The
way I see it Usenet is for discussion, not encyclopedia publication.
Just my personal opinion ...

If someone is publishing a huge FAQ or something they think is really
important they can divide it into a series of posts. The work to create
such a large post is far in excess of the minor ten-second hassle of of
'head / tail -c 65536' or copypasta to two or three posts.

--

Borg