Every program is a part of some other program, and rarely fits.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Thunderbird - Mailing Lists

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird - Mailing Listspinnerite
+* Re: Thunderbird - Mailing ListsBig Al
|`* Re: Thunderbird - Mailing Listspinnerite
| `* Re: Thunderbird - Mailing ListsBig Al
|  `* Re: Thunderbird - Mailing Listspinnerite
|   `- Re: Thunderbird - Mailing ListsBit Twister
`* Re: Thunderbird - Mailing ListsMike Easter
 `* Re: Thunderbird - Mailing Listspinnerite
  `- Re: Thunderbird - Mailing ListsJeff Layman

1
Thunderbird - Mailing Lists

<20220317115442.dfc445b9970e4aec849237e2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3206&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3206

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:54:42 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:54 UTC

For several years I have maintained several short mailing lists.
There names have always appeared in the left hand panel of Thunderbird's main window.

Today, I could not find them but they are still there under "All address books".
I cannot see a way of getting their titles back into the index of the left hand panel.

I am using Thunderbird version 91.50.

Any suggestions?

TIA, Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-104-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

<t0vldb$gba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3208&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3208

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:51:05 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:51 UTC

On 3/17/22 07:54, this is what pinnerite wrote:
> For several years I have maintained several short mailing lists.
> There names have always appeared in the left hand panel of Thunderbird's main window.
>
> Today, I could not find them but they are still there under "All address books".
> I cannot see a way of getting their titles back into the index of the left hand panel.
>
> I am using Thunderbird version 91.50.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA, Alan

They are obviously in some address book like the default "personal address book". Do you have that one selected on the left? Yes 'All'
will show them since they ARE someplace in one of your books.

And if they are not in "personal..." then find where they are and drag and drop them into personal if that's where you want them. I've
never had an issue with mine never showing up.

Another question, if you go to compose, when you start typing the list name, does it show up as choice if multiple of popup into the "to" field?

Re: Thunderbird - Mailing Lists

<20220317170522.36315991e4d58fe6bd194d00@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3210&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3210

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:05:22 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:05 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:51:05 -0400
Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 3/17/22 07:54, this is what pinnerite wrote:
> > For several years I have maintained several short mailing lists.
> > There names have always appeared in the left hand panel of Thunderbird's main window.
> >
> > Today, I could not find them but they are still there under "All address books".
> > I cannot see a way of getting their titles back into the index of the left hand panel.
> >
> > I am using Thunderbird version 91.50.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > TIA, Alan
> >

> They are obviously in some address book like the default "personal address book". Do you have that one selected on the left? Yes 'All'
> will show them since they ARE someplace in one of your books.
>
> And if they are not in "personal..." then find where they are and drag and drop them into personal if that's where you want them. I've
> never had an issue with mine never showing up.
>
> Another question, if you go to compose, when you start typing the list name, does it show up as choice if multiple of popup into the "to" field?

They seem to have resurfaced under "Watford LUG" (now defunct).
However they refuse to be dragged, cut & pasted elsewhere.

Yi=ou seem to believe that they can be dragged and dropped.

Can you verify that you can do it please?

Regards, Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-104-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

<t0vrr7$b00$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3211&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3211

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:40:54 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:40 UTC

On 3/17/22 13:05, this is what pinnerite wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:51:05 -0400
> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/22 07:54, this is what pinnerite wrote:
>>> For several years I have maintained several short mailing lists.
>>> There names have always appeared in the left hand panel of Thunderbird's main window.
>>>
>>> Today, I could not find them but they are still there under "All address books".
>>> I cannot see a way of getting their titles back into the index of the left hand panel.
>>>
>>> I am using Thunderbird version 91.50.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> TIA, Alan
>>>

>> They are obviously in some address book like the default "personal address book". Do you have that one selected on the left? Yes 'All'
>> will show them since they ARE someplace in one of your books.
>>
>> And if they are not in "personal..." then find where they are and drag and drop them into personal if that's where you want them. I've
>> never had an issue with mine never showing up.
>>
>> Another question, if you go to compose, when you start typing the list name, does it show up as choice if multiple of popup into the "to" field?
>
> They seem to have resurfaced under "Watford LUG" (now defunct).
> However they refuse to be dragged, cut & pasted elsewhere.
>
> Yi=ou seem to believe that they can be dragged and dropped.
>
> Can you verify that you can do it please?
>
> Regards, Alan

You know, you're right. 1 up email addresses can be copied but not a list. I would not have thought it possible. Maybe it has to do with
all the list contacts are not in the new address book.
I couldn't export as csv or vcard either. The address book did export but the lists were not there. ODD.
Maybe some other export method works but not those too. I'm stumped. Other than just re entering the lists. The time that has been
spent so far might well have been the time to re-enter the lists. At least my 5.

Re: Thunderbird - Mailing Lists

<20220317182858.c9d1cc3c7adf036743f9025f@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3212&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3212

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:28:58 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:28 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:40:54 -0400
Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 3/17/22 13:05, this is what pinnerite wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:51:05 -0400
> > Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> They are obviously in some address book like the default "personal address book". Do you have that one selected on the left? Yes 'All'
> >> will show them since they ARE someplace in one of your books.
> >>
> >> And if they are not in "personal..." then find where they are and drag and drop them into personal if that's where you want them. I've
> >> never had an issue with mine never showing up.
> >>
> >> Another question, if you go to compose, when you start typing the list name, does it show up as choice if multiple of popup into the "to" field?
> >
> > They seem to have resurfaced under "Watford LUG" (now defunct).
> > However they refuse to be dragged, cut & pasted elsewhere.
> >
> > Yi=ou seem to believe that they can be dragged and dropped.
> >
> > Can you verify that you can do it please?
> >
> > Regards, Alan
> >

> You know, you're right. 1 up email addresses can be copied but not a list. I would not have thought it possible. Maybe it has to do with
> all the list contacts are not in the new address book.
> I couldn't export as csv or vcard either. The address book did export but the lists were not there. ODD.
> Maybe some other export method works but not those too. I'm stumped. Other than just re entering the lists. The time that has been
> spent so far might well have been the time to re-enter the lists. At least my 5.

Damn! I hoped Big Al knew something little Al didn't.

Yes I'll re-enter.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-104-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

<j9hds4FikulU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3213&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3213

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:44:20 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:44 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> Any suggestions?

There's a Tb group

alt.comp.software.thunderbird

The denizens who used to hangout in the moz support groups support there
now. Likewise for the other moz products.

--
Mike Easter

<slrnt37p3e.vu6c.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3214&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3214

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:46:21 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 01:46 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:28:58 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:40:54 -0400
> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/22 13:05, this is what pinnerite wrote:

>> You know, you're right. 1 up email addresses can be copied but not a list. I would not have thought it possible. Maybe it has to do with
>> all the list contacts are not in the new address book.
>> I couldn't export as csv or vcard either. The address book did export but the lists were not there. ODD.
>> Maybe some other export method works but not those too. I'm stumped. Other than just re entering the lists. The time that has been
>> spent so far might well have been the time to re-enter the lists. At least my 5.
>
> Damn! I hoped Big Al knew something little Al didn't.
>
> Yes I'll re-enter.

Yup I know where you are coming from. When Thunderbird/firefox started
with a new default directory on each new release I had to search all
the release directories for the desired data and copy the file/folder
to the new "default" release directory.

I then went googling for saving data and found the instructions for
exporting the addresses for backup/recovery/restoring.

Re: Thunderbird - Mailing Lists

<20220319134640.23f7783831f989f9e76848df@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3215&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3215

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:46:40 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:46 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:44:20 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > Any suggestions?
>
> There's a Tb group
>
> alt.comp.software.thunderbird
>
> The denizens who used to hangout in the moz support groups support there
> now. Likewise for the other moz products.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Thank you for alt.comp.software.thunderbird

I am sure that will come in useful.

Kind regards, Alan

Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-104-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Thunderbird - Mailing Lists

<t14qci$qo7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3216&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3216

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:46:42 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:46 UTC

On 19/03/2022 13:46, pinnerite wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:44:20 -0700
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
>> pinnerite wrote:
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> There's a Tb group
>>
>> alt.comp.software.thunderbird
>>
>> The denizens who used to hangout in the moz support groups support there
>> now. Likewise for the other moz products.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter
>
> Thank you for alt.comp.software.thunderbird
>
> I am sure that will come in useful.

Just for the record, it was Andy Burns who put in the effort to create
alt.comp.software.firefox and alt.comp.software.thunderbird and make
them available to us.

--

Jeff