From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: My phone is having a mental breakdown.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 18:46:12 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 10 May 2022 15:46 UTC

I think my phone is having a mental breakdown.

For the weather on the home screen, it still shows the city 200 miles
away where I haven't been since yesterday 27 hours ago, and it doesn't
show the city I'm in now which as 10 times the population where I've
been for 22 hours, and on the home page below the temp and the city, it
has yesterday's date and a time about an hour before I left there.

(Otoh, when I tap on the home page weather temp and another screen opens
up, it shows today's date and the current time but that same far away
city and the temp there.)

When I do that, when I tap on the home page weather temp, and it tries
to load more weather information, it says "no network connection", even
though I have it set as a hot spot for my laptop and I can get email and
do allt he other internet things a guy would want to do. (And there is
no wifi around here that I't accidentally using. It says I'm connected
to the phone.)

I also haven't been able to dl any email to the phone since last night,
even though I was able to read my email on the provider's webpage.
-----

Problems started earlier. I went 2, 3, maybe 4 miles out of range of
the cellular company I've been using, and the webbrowser wouldn't work
at all. OTOH, the dialer worked fine, and Whatsapp worked fine. I
thought that meant the webbrowser was bad but the signal was good, so i
checked with Network Signal Info Pro and Network Cell Info. Both showed
the signal at about -91, which is too weak to do much, right? But is it
still strong enough to make a phone call? Can you have a signal that is
too weak for anything but phonecalls? (Both the dialer and whatsapp now
use the same data as the webbrowser, right?)

Later the first continued to show -91 but the Network Cell Info showed
-49, which is as high as it goes. Does that mean that app is broken?
---

I actually stayed at a hotel 2 nights ago and I found tthe hotel wifi in
my phone's list and entered the password taped to the lobby's front
desk. It said connected. And there was a wifi-repeater near the ceiling
in the hall right outside my door. But I couln't do anything more than
before. I could use the dialer and whatsapp, but nothing else.
Sunday afternoon, sunday evening, and night. But then on Monday at 10AM
it worked, even though I did nothing different. If there is enough wifi
that my phone knows about it, knows the name of the network, and I can
"connect", can there still be no data?

Do I need an electronic technician for my phone, or a psychiatrist?

Re: My phone is having a mental breakdown.

<1phwkcjb96v0y.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32093&group=comp.mobile.android#32093

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: My phone is having a mental breakdown.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 17:12:28 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 10 May 2022 22:12 UTC

micky wrote:

> I think my phone is having a mental breakdown.
>
> For the weather on the home screen, it still shows the city 200 miles
> away where I haven't been since yesterday 27 hours ago, and it doesn't
> show the city I'm in now which as 10 times the population where I've
> been for 22 hours, and on the home page below the temp and the city, it
> has yesterday's date and a time about an hour before I left there.
>
> (Otoh, when I tap on the home page weather temp and another screen opens
> up, it shows today's date and the current time but that same far away
> city and the temp there.)
>
> When I do that, when I tap on the home page weather temp, and it tries
> to load more weather information, it says "no network connection", even
> though I have it set as a hot spot for my laptop and I can get email and
> do allt he other internet things a guy would want to do. (And there is
> no wifi around here that I't accidentally using. It says I'm connected
> to the phone.)
>
> I also haven't been able to dl any email to the phone since last night,
> even though I was able to read my email on the provider's webpage.
> -----
>
> Problems started earlier. I went 2, 3, maybe 4 miles out of range of
> the cellular company I've been using, and the webbrowser wouldn't work
> at all. OTOH, the dialer worked fine, and Whatsapp worked fine. I
> thought that meant the webbrowser was bad but the signal was good, so i
> checked with Network Signal Info Pro and Network Cell Info. Both showed
> the signal at about -91, which is too weak to do much, right? But is it
> still strong enough to make a phone call? Can you have a signal that is
> too weak for anything but phonecalls? (Both the dialer and whatsapp now
> use the same data as the webbrowser, right?)
>
> Later the first continued to show -91 but the Network Cell Info showed
> -49, which is as high as it goes. Does that mean that app is broken?
> ---
>
> I actually stayed at a hotel 2 nights ago and I found tthe hotel wifi in
> my phone's list and entered the password taped to the lobby's front
> desk. It said connected. And there was a wifi-repeater near the ceiling
> in the hall right outside my door. But I couln't do anything more than
> before. I could use the dialer and whatsapp, but nothing else.
> Sunday afternoon, sunday evening, and night. But then on Monday at 10AM
> it worked, even though I did nothing different. If there is enough wifi
> that my phone knows about it, knows the name of the network, and I can
> "connect", can there still be no data?
>
> Do I need an electronic technician for my phone, or a psychiatrist?

Are all the geolocation sources enabled on your phone? I have mine set
to "most accurate" which tries to use several sources. Yours might have
only one set, or none (you have geolocation disabled).

No idea if the *unidentified* weather app/widget has a setting for "use
current location", or, if it does, if you configure it to use a specific
location.

Under Android settings, Apps, pick the unidentified weather app, is that
app configured to allow only wifi connects? That is to prevent an app
from eating up all your cellular data quota (lots of users still have
limited quotas instead of unlimited data quotas). My aunt didn't
realize the webcam app she used to monitor her sister at home whose has
nasty health issues was eating up all her data quota until she ran out.
Luckily she was at a resort with wifi access. Some apps you want to
only connect via wifi, like those that download offline maps. With free
or paid wifi access, you usually get unlimited downloading (but
sometimes with poor speed), but cellular data could be limited so you
don't want to blow it on downloads that can be done later whenever you
happen to have a wifi connection.

Re: My phone is having a mental breakdown.

<134m7hdq78a4e9r0bh4i2tprg0v37i1ej0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32114&group=comp.mobile.android#32114

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 04:42:57 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 11 May 2022 01:42 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 10 May 2022 17:12:28 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I think my phone is having a mental breakdown.
>>
>> For the weather on the home screen, it still shows the city 200 miles
>> away where I haven't been since yesterday 27 hours ago, and it doesn't
>> show the city I'm in now which as 10 times the population where I've
>> been for 22 hours, and on the home page below the temp and the city, it
>> has yesterday's date and a time about an hour before I left there.
>>
>> (Otoh, when I tap on the home page weather temp and another screen opens
>> up, it shows today's date and the current time but that same far away
>> city and the temp there.)
>>
>> When I do that, when I tap on the home page weather temp, and it tries
>> to load more weather information, it says "no network connection", even
>> though I have it set as a hot spot for my laptop and I can get email and
>> do allt he other internet things a guy would want to do. (And there is
>> no wifi around here that I't accidentally using. It says I'm connected
>> to the phone.)
>>
>> I also haven't been able to dl any email to the phone since last night,
>> even though I was able to read my email on the provider's webpage.
>> -----
>>
>> Problems started earlier. I went 2, 3, maybe 4 miles out of range of
>> the cellular company I've been using, and the webbrowser wouldn't work
>> at all. OTOH, the dialer worked fine, and Whatsapp worked fine. I
>> thought that meant the webbrowser was bad but the signal was good, so i
>> checked with Network Signal Info Pro and Network Cell Info. Both showed
>> the signal at about -91, which is too weak to do much, right? But is it
>> still strong enough to make a phone call? Can you have a signal that is
>> too weak for anything but phonecalls? (Both the dialer and whatsapp now
>> use the same data as the webbrowser, right?)
>>
>> Later the first continued to show -91 but the Network Cell Info showed
>> -49, which is as high as it goes. Does that mean that app is broken?
>> ---
>>
>> I actually stayed at a hotel 2 nights ago and I found tthe hotel wifi in
>> my phone's list and entered the password taped to the lobby's front
>> desk. It said connected. And there was a wifi-repeater near the ceiling
>> in the hall right outside my door. But I couln't do anything more than
>> before. I could use the dialer and whatsapp, but nothing else.
>> Sunday afternoon, sunday evening, and night. But then on Monday at 10AM
>> it worked, even though I did nothing different. If there is enough wifi
>> that my phone knows about it, knows the name of the network, and I can
>> "connect", can there still be no data?
>>
>> Do I need an electronic technician for my phone, or a psychiatrist?
>
>Are all the geolocation sources enabled on your phone? I have mine set
>to "most accurate" which tries to use several sources. Yours might have
>only one set, or none (you have geolocation disabled).

I think all are on, except in google maps I got tired of seeing....this
is why it often tkes me so long to reply to you. I can't remember the
message I don't like**, so I'll try to recreate it. Well t hat's not
working, and not only that, when I tap Recenter on the map, it doesn't
move, even if I'm hundreds of miles away.

**it's something about location being imprecisse and it wants me to
point the camera at nearby buildings. Well that only works when the
buildings are in street view (if then?) and not when one is in a field
with a bunch of rocks, like I usually am.

>No idea if the *unidentified* weather app/widget has a setting for "use
>current location", or, if it does, if you configure it to use a specific
>location.

It might be wrong on the home page, usually didn't change what it said
the last time, but when I tapped on it, it always went to a screen with
the current location.

Anyhow, I turned Location off, then turned it back on again, and no
change. (I'd restarted the phone more than once too.)

And I turned Mobile Data off, then back on again and so far, no change.

This might be the reason the phone didn't work at the hotel 2 days ago,
and then it did work yesterday morning, and it might have nothing to do
with the hotel but some intermittent probelm in the phone. On the drive
back here yesterday, I don't rmemeber if the radio apps worked at all,
but I know they didn't work for the last 2 hours.

Even the map sometimes won't load from the phone to the car. I have to
unplug the phone and replug it. I think it used to work all the time.

At least I'm pretty sure my phone needs a doctor, not a psychiatrist.
Mental illness is embarrassing to many phones and many families.

>Under Android settings, Apps, pick the unidentified weather app, is that
>app configured to allow only wifi connects? That is to prevent an app
>from eating up all your cellular data quota (lots of users still have
>limited quotas instead of unlimited data quotas). My aunt didn't
>realize the webcam app she used to monitor her sister at home whose has
>nasty health issues was eating up all her data quota until she ran out.

When I read this quickly, I thought your aunt's sister's health issue
was eating too much.

>Luckily she was at a resort with wifi access. Some apps you want to
>only connect via wifi, like those that download offline maps. With free
>or paid wifi access, you usually get unlimited downloading (but
>sometimes with poor speed), but cellular data could be limited so you
>don't want to blow it on downloads that can be done later whenever you
>happen to have a wifi connection.

I think I get 100 gigs a month. If I were over my data limit, the
laptop wouldn't be working and it works fine. Plus my limit started
again on the 10th of the month.

Re: My phone is having a mental breakdown.

<1vsm7hdja16cn4ob3ojgpk4mirg6023jmk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32124&group=comp.mobile.android#32124

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 11:33:28 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 11 May 2022 08:33 UTC

<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> [...]
>current location", or, if it does, if you configure it to use a specific
>location.
>
>Under Android settings, Apps, pick the unidentified weather app, is that
>app configured to allow only wifi connects? That is to prevent an app
>from eating up all your cellular data quota (lots of users still have
>limited quotas instead of unlimited data quotas). My aunt didn't
>realize the webcam app she used to monitor her sister at home whose has
>nasty health issues was eating up all her data quota until she ran out.
>Luckily she was at a resort with wifi access. Some apps you want to
>only connect via wifi, like those that download offline maps. With free
>or paid wifi access, you usually get unlimited downloading (but
>sometimes with poor speed), but cellular data could be limited so you
>don't want to blow it on downloads that can be done later whenever you

I found it. It was the VPN. Which** had worked well, given me no
trouble, for about 4 weeks, starting automatically when the phone was
turned on, no problems. But this time I disconnected the VPN and some
of the stuff started working again but I couldn't get some American
radio stations, then reconnected and I could get them again and
everything else still woorked.

**This was the 3rd VPN I tried, 4th if you count a previous trip. The
other 3 I could not get to work. There was almost nothing to do, no
choices, but they didn't help me get American media. Express VPN
worked perfectly, until yesterday.

I got it for the laptop and their price includes a link for the phone.
I suppose you can sign up directly from the phone.