From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent 7.2 or 8.0 for Gmail after May 30, Usable?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 14:29:06 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:29 UTC

Hi,

I received a notification email from google regarding my email client
(Agent 7.2) may not be compatible with gmail server after May 30 (not exact
words).

Note: I also have Agent 8.0, but the server settings are exactly the same
as Agent 7.2.

FYI: I use POP & SMTP.

Currently, at google's gmail server, I had to set my connection to less
secure in order to download emails. I did NOT try other Agent server settings
yet.

AGENT's SERVER SETTINGS:

Outgoing SMTP setting: SSL on Standard

Login method: Username and Password

Port 465
-----------------------
Incoming (Pop) setting: Simple Username and Password

Port 995

Does anyone know what is the most secure settings I can use in Agent 7.2
that is compatible with google's gmail server?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: Agent 7.2 or 8.0 for Gmail after May 30, Usable?

<pffm2hte4q0e2ipbjo4epagu0egrb19cl0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3212&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3212

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Agent 7.2 or 8.0 for Gmail after May 30, Usable?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 07:28:36 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:28 UTC

>See the thread "Gmail" started 5 days ago, for answers to this question.
> <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/WGti2Cyn/gmail>
>
>In short:
>
> 1. Log into your Google account on the web.
> 2. There, create an "App Password" for Agent.
> 3. Use that "app password" in Agent place of your main Google account password.
>
>You can only create an "app password" if you have turned on 2-Step-Verification.
>In my experience you can turn off 2-Step-Verification after you have created
>the app password, and the app password will still work.
>

>See these Gmail support pages for details:
>
> "Less secure apps & your Google Account"
> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255#zippy=%2Cuse-an-app-password>
>
> "Sign in with App Passwords"
> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>
>

>And don't worry. It is not the app itself which Google considers insecure, but
>the login authentication method.
>
>I have been using an app password in Agent with Google's "less secure
>access" turned off, for years.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you very much for that information.

I will use those procedures I saved from google's accounts
and what you said.

I plan on doing that some time in the next few days or so.

As you said, I should replace the Password (Agent's Server settings)
with the app Password.

Regards, John