Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 12:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: So, this sounds like bad news....
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:04 UTC

https://www.yahoo.com/news/palestinian-american-journalist-shot-dead-in-israeli-raid-in-west-bank-al-jazeera-says-125325445.html

I'm not "launching any numerical signals" now, partly because I'm done doing service and partly because I am somewhat pro-Israel and slower to attack Israelis for claimed bad actions perpetrated by Israelis compared to people/organizations that are more well-known to be very bad.

Just in the spirit of commentary: It sounds like the wrong thing happened, and if it was Israeli forces that did it, maybe they did it without authorization from the top-level people, and maybe the responsibility for it is being denied due to concerns about retaliation.

I really don't recommend lying by anyone, if it was that; presenting false information is a disaster waiting to happen. Do I have a comprehensive theorem based on my idea stating the exact conditions under which lying is self-destructive? No, but the way to phrase the wf would be: If there are lots of people who "need information" in some formal sense, like they need money, and lots of people who "behave rationally" in a formal sense, perhaps the sense of "using a really effective process and set of principles in the strategic actor's terrain that is provably effective in that terrain and overall," then, although I haven't proved it myself, but I tend to believe based on common sense and mathematical intuition that it could be proved, that "liars get backstabbed" just as counterfeit money launderers tend not to have good outcomes. You'll note, lying about important things is now more dangerous than ever, given my recent disclosure of my economics idea. Rationality will improve, whether the Israeli government seeks to will reality to the contrary or not; the science and math are clear, this is not the time to dangle Israeli security off a balcony as a "test" or "political statement."

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: So, this sounds like bad news....

<52d2ef42-d389-4cba-a395-b252cc348a8dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32154&group=comp.theory#32154

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 12:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: So, this sounds like bad news....
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:08 UTC

On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 3:04:27 PM UTC-4, B.H. wrote:
> https://www.yahoo.com/news/palestinian-american-journalist-shot-dead-in-israeli-raid-in-west-bank-al-jazeera-says-125325445.html
>
> I'm not "launching any numerical signals" now, partly because I'm done doing service and partly because I am somewhat pro-Israel and slower to attack Israelis for claimed bad actions perpetrated by Israelis compared to people/organizations that are more well-known to be very bad.
>
> Just in the spirit of commentary: It sounds like the wrong thing happened, and if it was Israeli forces that did it, maybe they did it without authorization from the top-level people, and maybe the responsibility for it is being denied due to concerns about retaliation.
>
> I really don't recommend lying by anyone, if it was that; presenting false information is a disaster waiting to happen. Do I have a comprehensive theorem based on my idea stating the exact conditions under which lying is self-destructive? No, but the way to phrase the wf would be: If there are lots of people who "need information" in some formal sense, like they need money, and lots of people who "behave rationally" in a formal sense, perhaps the sense of "using a really effective process and set of principles in the strategic actor's terrain that is provably effective in that terrain and overall," then, although I haven't proved it myself, but I tend to believe based on common sense and mathematical intuition that it could be proved, that "liars get backstabbed" just as counterfeit money launderers tend not to have good outcomes. You'll note, lying about important things is now more dangerous than ever, given my recent disclosure of my economics idea. Rationality will improve, whether the Israeli government seeks to will reality to the contrary or not; the science and math are clear, this is not the time to dangle Israeli security off a balcony as a "test" or "political statement."
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)

Note, "lots of people" in this case means "over 7 billion people." A small, non-full-scale economy, or a small contrived game like a prisoner's dilemma or game of chicken, would obey different rules. This is not a well-timed gesture, unless of course the Israeli government wanted it to happen and can present mathematical proof to their citizens and the world that it was safe.

I don't support the killing; if it was an assassination, that is bad and I dislike it, and I am desensitized to it so that I can fight injustice with intellectual rather than emotional caring. I am genuinely not trying to hurt Israelis or Palestinians, I am trying to speak with a reasonable message to compel people with logic and reason to choose peace, even if only for realism-linked strategic reasons, rather than violence and "sneaky lying," whether that was done by the Israelis or Palestinians. Death is sad when it happens like this.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)