"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

SubjectAuthor
* Agent crashes on one particular newsgroupBorkedBorg
+* Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroupRalph Fox
|`* Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroupBorkedBorg
| `* Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroupDennis Lee Bieber
|  `* Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroupBorkedBorg
|   `- Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroupnone
`- Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroupNot that Dave

1
Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

<9u9i3h9ps9tkk5nijok4rsh6d2505geecf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3214&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3214

From: BorkedB...@13of9.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 18:49:05 -0700
 by: BorkedB...@13of9.com - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:49 UTC

Windows 10 (recent install with all updates), Agent 8.00/32.1272 on a separate
physical drive where it has resided for years

News Server: Usenetserver

I follow several newsgroups with no issues but...

When trying to download bodies from alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows I pretty
much have to download one-at-a-time. Sometimes I can get away with two but
usually if I select a group of bodies Agent will start to download and then
suddenly just close. When I restart Agent any changes I made when it was last
open (marking messages, etc.) are gone. This only happens on this one
newsgroup and has been bothering me for months. Rarely there is a memory
access violation. I have no problem downloading multiple bodies from any
other newsgroup.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

<an2k3h10q5picu6kkcv798psrm1104ah3t@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3215&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3215

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 06:58:08 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:58 UTC

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 18:49:05 -0700, BorkedBorg@13of9.com wrote:

> Windows 10 (recent install with all updates), Agent 8.00/32.1272 on a separate
> physical drive where it has resided for years
>
> News Server: Usenetserver
>
> I follow several newsgroups with no issues but...
>
> When trying to download bodies from alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows I pretty
> much have to download one-at-a-time. Sometimes I can get away with two but
> usually if I select a group of bodies Agent will start to download and then
> suddenly just close. When I restart Agent any changes I made when it was last
> open (marking messages, etc.) are gone. This only happens on this one
> newsgroup and has been bothering me for months. Rarely there is a memory
> access violation. I have no problem downloading multiple bodies from any
> other newsgroup.
>
> Any suggestions?

Some basic things to try:

1. File >> Repair Selected Folders

2. Delete the newsgroup folder and then re-subscribe.

If the group's .DAT and .IDX files were corrupt, then 1 or 2 above
should fix it. Beyond that, what to try could depend on more clues
about the problem.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

💣💥🔍🕵🔎💥💣

Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

<5jhk3ht5f9nlqbvbs34gd5n3sp281r7gs1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3216&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3216

From: BorkedB...@13of9.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:04:34 -0700
 by: BorkedB...@13of9.com - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 22:04 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 06:58:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 18:49:05 -0700, BorkedBorg@13of9.com wrote:
>
>> Windows 10 (recent install with all updates), Agent 8.00/32.1272 on a separate
>> physical drive where it has resided for years
>>
>> News Server: Usenetserver
>>
>> I follow several newsgroups with no issues but...
>>
>> When trying to download bodies from alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows I pretty
>> much have to download one-at-a-time. Sometimes I can get away with two but
>> usually if I select a group of bodies Agent will start to download and then
>> suddenly just close. When I restart Agent any changes I made when it was last
>> open (marking messages, etc.) are gone. This only happens on this one
>> newsgroup and has been bothering me for months. Rarely there is a memory
>> access violation. I have no problem downloading multiple bodies from any
>> other newsgroup.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Thank you, Ralph!

>Some basic things to try:
>
> 1. File >> Repair Selected Folders

No errors were found.

> 2. Delete the newsgroup folder and then re-subscribe.

Done. Same errors continue.

>If the group's .DAT and .IDX files were corrupt, then 1 or 2 above
>should fix it. Beyond that, what to try could depend on more clues
>about the problem.

On a whim I downloaded a new Agent installer and installed over my existing
setup just in case. It made no difference.

On this one newsgroup I can download bodies forever but I can only do them
one-at-a-time. Occasionally I can get two but not often enough to depend on
it.

I subscribe to a couple dozen newsgroups and can download uncountable bodies
with no problem from all except this one.

Thanks for trying!

Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

<cb8m3h5c6vou71cmnumeqa5445ug9e35es@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3217&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3217

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:37:25 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 13:37 UTC

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:04:34 -0700, BorkedBorg@13of9.com declaimed the
following:

>On this one newsgroup I can download bodies forever but I can only do them
>one-at-a-time. Occasionally I can get two but not often enough to depend on
>it.

On a whim (since I recall this is a binary group you report problems
with), have you tried setting

Tools/Servers and Accounts

Reduce the number of connections (possibly down to just 2), and reserve
only ONE connection for downloading bodies? (worst case, 1 connection and
reserve 0 for bodies).

Tools/Options/Usenet Tasks

Reduce "Limit body retrieval rate to xxx per second"

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

<qsbn3h92hdrj6n0uurc4npbuv8fkrvpkmb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3218&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3218

From: BorkedB...@13of9.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:44:49 -0700
 by: BorkedB...@13of9.com - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:44 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:37:25 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:04:34 -0700, BorkedBorg@13of9.com declaimed the
>following:
>

>>On this one newsgroup I can download bodies forever but I can only do them
>>one-at-a-time. Occasionally I can get two but not often enough to depend on
>>it.
>>
> On a whim (since I recall this is a binary group you report problems
>with), have you tried setting
>
> Tools/Servers and Accounts
>
> Reduce the number of connections (possibly down to just 2), and reserve
>only ONE connection for downloading bodies? (worst case, 1 connection and
>reserve 0 for bodies).
>
> Tools/Options/Usenet Tasks
>
> Reduce "Limit body retrieval rate to xxx per second"

Thanks!

I will certainly try this next time that group has something I want to
download.

I subscribe to 20+ groups and can mark a hundred bodies for retrieval in every
group. Agent will download everything I have marked with no problem until
Agent hits this one particular group. Then it attempts to download and
crashes unless I download the bodies one at a time. Then there's no problem.

Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

<uffo3h525kad7tbndi44fmqpo78m632il0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3219&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3219

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:47:48 +0100
 by: non...@given.com - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:47 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:44:49 -0700, BorkedBorg@13of9.com wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:37:25 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:04:34 -0700, BorkedBorg@13of9.com declaimed the
>>following:
>>

>>>On this one newsgroup I can download bodies forever but I can only do them
>>>one-at-a-time. Occasionally I can get two but not often enough to depend on
>>>it.
>>>
>> On a whim (since I recall this is a binary group you report problems
>>with), have you tried setting
>>
>> Tools/Servers and Accounts
>>
>> Reduce the number of connections (possibly down to just 2), and reserve
>>only ONE connection for downloading bodies? (worst case, 1 connection and
>>reserve 0 for bodies).
>>
>> Tools/Options/Usenet Tasks
>>
>> Reduce "Limit body retrieval rate to xxx per second"
>
>Thanks!
>
>I will certainly try this next time that group has something I want to
>download.
>
>I subscribe to 20+ groups and can mark a hundred bodies for retrieval in every
>group. Agent will download everything I have marked with no problem until
>Agent hits this one particular group. Then it attempts to download and
>crashes unless I download the bodies one at a time. Then there's no problem.

Is the troublesome group one of the really enormous binary ones? If
so, might be too much for Agent to handle.

Re: Agent crashes on one particular newsgroup

<sg4p3h5cnr34jr0cj34k13361oks4tqute@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3220&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3220

From: Non...@here.now (Not that Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:57:01 -0500
 by: Not that Dave - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:57 UTC

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 18:49:05 -0700, BorkedBorg@13of9.com wrote:

>Windows 10 (recent install with all updates), Agent 8.00/32.1272 on a separate
>physical drive where it has resided for years
>
>News Server: Usenetserver
>
>I follow several newsgroups with no issues but...
>
>When trying to download bodies from alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows I pretty
>much have to download one-at-a-time. Sometimes I can get away with two but
>usually if I select a group of bodies Agent will start to download and then
>suddenly just close. When I restart Agent any changes I made when it was last
>open (marking messages, etc.) are gone. This only happens on this one
>newsgroup and has been bothering me for months. Rarely there is a memory
>access violation. I have no problem downloading multiple bodies from any
>other newsgroup.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks

I have found that (on my computer at least) with large files,
sometimes Agent will start downloading multiple files at once, and
apparently something runs out of memory, as the program then crashes.
i also have noticed that when this happens, files that have been
completely downloaded will show as marked for retreival, not complete,
bu that by selecting them and trying to mark them for retreival again
causes their status to change to comlpete.
Cheers,
Dave