From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Can't get back the original visual voicemail app
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 00:28:44 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Tue, 10 May 2022 07:28 UTC

My cellphone provider is Credo Mobile -- the only mobile service I have
every used.

From August 2014 through May 2021 it had a voicemail app which came
bundled with my original Android phone (I no longer remember what model
that was) and remained on the phone through several subsequent models.

For every call received, it sent me an email with a voice-to-text
transcription and a .WAV file of the call.

Then that functionality suddenly disappeared.

The seven years worth of emails are from noreply@smithmicro.com and say
Sprint in the body of the email.

Credo now uses Verizon's network, not Sprint's ... so I assume that that
must be what caused the change.

I am unable to find a similar app which works with the Credo/Verizon
network.

I'm sure people will tell me to call Credo's tech support.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to know what they are talking about re.
this issue.

One "solution" they ultimately gave was "factory reset" ... which should
always be the solution of absolute, desperate last resort. It took me a
long time to restore all the settings which were lost because of this
.... and it didn't fix the problem.

The most recent tech support said to look for programs called "visual
voicemail." "Which one? There are many." "Use the first one -- it
will be the most popular."

Unfortunately, the first one only worked on T-Mobile accounts ... and
most of the others were also only for specific carrier networks. They
all said "unable to connect to this account" ... including the one for
Verizon. And there was none which was specifically for Credo.

Credo tech support was unaware that this would happen ... and didn't
mention the switch from Sprint to Verizon; I only found that out on my own.

I found a couple of visual voicemails which were supposed to be
"generic" or work with various networks. One even asked for the name of
my carrier, and I put in "Credo". But when it tried to connect to
Credo, it gave "unable to complete call as dialed." Most of the
supposedly generic ones also said "unable to connect to this account."

I guess tomorrow I'll call Verizon support. But I suspect they'll tell
me "You have to call Credo -- we only rent them the lines," or something
like that.

Any suggestions?

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!

Re: Can't get back the original visual voicemail app

<1iop5r322qrr0.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32096&group=comp.mobile.android#32096

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 17:20:13 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 10 May 2022 22:20 UTC

Dudley Brooks wrote:

> My cellphone provider is Credo Mobile -- the only mobile service I have
> every used.
>
> From August 2014 through May 2021 it had a voicemail app which came
> bundled with my original Android phone (I no longer remember what model
> that was) and remained on the phone through several subsequent models.
>
> For every call received, it sent me an email with a voice-to-text
> transcription and a .WAV file of the call.
>
> Then that functionality suddenly disappeared.
>
> The seven years worth of emails are from noreply@smithmicro.com and say
> Sprint in the body of the email.
>
> Credo now uses Verizon's network, not Sprint's ... so I assume that that
> must be what caused the change.
>
> I am unable to find a similar app which works with the Credo/Verizon
> network.
>
> I'm sure people will tell me to call Credo's tech support.
> Unfortunately, they don't seem to know what they are talking about re.
> this issue.
>
> One "solution" they ultimately gave was "factory reset" ... which should
> always be the solution of absolute, desperate last resort. It took me a
> long time to restore all the settings which were lost because of this
> ... and it didn't fix the problem.
>
> The most recent tech support said to look for programs called "visual
> voicemail." "Which one? There are many." "Use the first one -- it
> will be the most popular."
>
> Unfortunately, the first one only worked on T-Mobile accounts ... and
> most of the others were also only for specific carrier networks. They
> all said "unable to connect to this account" ... including the one for
> Verizon. And there was none which was specifically for Credo.
>
> Credo tech support was unaware that this would happen ... and didn't
> mention the switch from Sprint to Verizon; I only found that out on my own.
>
> I found a couple of visual voicemails which were supposed to be
> "generic" or work with various networks. One even asked for the name of
> my carrier, and I put in "Credo". But when it tried to connect to
> Credo, it gave "unable to complete call as dialed." Most of the
> supposedly generic ones also said "unable to connect to this account."
>
> I guess tomorrow I'll call Verizon support. But I suspect they'll tell
> me "You have to call Credo -- we only rent them the lines," or something
> like that.
>
> Any suggestions?

I doubt the app was involved in transliteration (conversion from voice
to text) as that would require a huge database and programming consuming
lots of CPUs and battery power. Far more likely the voice-to-text
messaging was a feature of your cellular provider (aka carrier). After
the switch from Credo to Verizon, either that feature is not included in
your new Verizon account, or it has to be enabled by you. However, if
you are still a Credo customer, Verizon may not see you as their
customer, so you don't have a Verizon account into which you can dig
through its settings to check if there is a voice-to-text feature. I
use Tracfone which is an MVNO, but the carrier assigned to me is AT&T.
I can go into my Tracfone account, but that has no settings for whatever
carrier to which I'm assigned. I have no AT&T account, because I'm not
an AT&T customer, so for example, I cannot disable the voicemail feature
at AT&T for my Tracfone-contracted service at AT&T.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator

After the switch from Credo to Voicemail, who do you pay now? Credo?
Or Verizon?

Re: Can't get back the original visual voicemail app

<t5iapf$5lg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32209&group=comp.mobile.android#32209

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:51:25 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:51 UTC

On 5/10/22 3:20 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

> Dudley Brooks wrote:
>
>> My cellphone provider is Credo Mobile -- the only mobile service I have
>> every used.
>>
>> From August 2014 through May 2021 it had a voicemail app which came
>> bundled with my original Android phone (I no longer remember what model
>> that was) and remained on the phone through several subsequent models.
>>
>> For every call received, it sent me an email with a voice-to-text
>> transcription and a .WAV file of the call.
>>
>> Then that functionality suddenly disappeared.
>>
>> The seven years worth of emails are from noreply@smithmicro.com and say
>> Sprint in the body of the email.
>>
>> Credo now uses Verizon's network, not Sprint's ... so I assume that that
>> must be what caused the change.
>>
>> I am unable to find a similar app which works with the Credo/Verizon
>> network.
>>
>> I'm sure people will tell me to call Credo's tech support.
>> Unfortunately, they don't seem to know what they are talking about re.
>> this issue.
>>
>> One "solution" they ultimately gave was "factory reset" ... which should
>> always be the solution of absolute, desperate last resort. It took me a
>> long time to restore all the settings which were lost because of this
>> ... and it didn't fix the problem.
>>
>> The most recent tech support said to look for programs called "visual
>> voicemail." "Which one? There are many." "Use the first one -- it
>> will be the most popular."
>>
>> Unfortunately, the first one only worked on T-Mobile accounts ... and
>> most of the others were also only for specific carrier networks. They
>> all said "unable to connect to this account" ... including the one for
>> Verizon. And there was none which was specifically for Credo.
>>
>> Credo tech support was unaware that this would happen ... and didn't
>> mention the switch from Sprint to Verizon; I only found that out on my own.
>>
>> I found a couple of visual voicemails which were supposed to be
>> "generic" or work with various networks. One even asked for the name of
>> my carrier, and I put in "Credo". But when it tried to connect to
>> Credo, it gave "unable to complete call as dialed." Most of the
>> supposedly generic ones also said "unable to connect to this account."
>>
>> I guess tomorrow I'll call Verizon support. But I suspect they'll tell
>> me "You have to call Credo -- we only rent them the lines," or something
>> like that.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I doubt the app was involved in transliteration (conversion from voice
> to text) as that would require a huge database and programming consuming
> lots of CPUs and battery power.

That makes sense. Thanks for pointing it out.

> Far more likely the voice-to-text
> messaging was a feature of your cellular provider (aka carrier). After
> the switch from Credo to Verizon, either that feature is not included in
> your new Verizon account, or it has to be enabled by you.

That also makes sense. But Credo tech support never mentioned any such
thing.

> However, if
> you are still a Credo customer, Verizon may not see you as their
> customer, so you don't have a Verizon account into which you can dig
> through its settings to check if there is a voice-to-text feature.

Yes, that's certainly what I suspect. I didn't have any time to check
it today, though.

> use Tracfone which is an MVNO, but the carrier assigned to me is AT&T.
> I can go into my Tracfone account, but that has no settings for whatever
> carrier to which I'm assigned. I have no AT&T account, because I'm not
> an AT&T customer, so for example, I cannot disable the voicemail feature
> at AT&T for my Tracfone-contracted service at AT&T.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator

Thanks. I was not previously aware of the term MVNO ... although I
certainly realized I was using one. Realized after Credo started using
Verizon, that is. Back when they used Sprint, I didn't realize they
used Sprint -- guess I never paid attention to the name Sprint on those
emails about voicemail back then.

> After the switch from Credo to Voicemail, who do you pay now? Credo?
> Or Verizon?

I don't understand "the switch from Credo to Voicemail." Did you mean
to say "after Credo switched from Sprint to Verizon"?

It remained Credo that I pay.

So probably no help from Verizon. I hope I will have time soon to check
that out ... and also to ask Credo about the various things you have
mentioned, just to double-check that you have indeed found the cause ...
or, if I'm very lucky, to find a supervisor who *does* understand what
happened *and* knows of a way to turn it back on

Thanks again!