Hailing frequencies open, Captain.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / What does this filter do?

SubjectAuthor
* What does this filter do?andy
`* Re: What does this filter do?Ralph Fox
 +* Re: What does this filter do?andy
 |`* Re: What does this filter do?John
 | `- Re: What does this filter do?andy
 `* Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?John
  +* Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?Ralph Fox
  |`- Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?John
  `* Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?andy
   +* Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?Ralph Fox
   |+- Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?andy
   |`- Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?John
   `- Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?John

1
What does this filter do?

<gpeq3hpb0072tgr8b14tm5ud2vg78b78f9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3221&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3221

From: and...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: What does this filter do?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:47:59 -0500
 by: and...@invalid.com - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 03:47 UTC

I made it many years ago and forgot what they hey it's for.

subject: {^[[]}

Re: What does this filter do?

<n3kq3hd6geivbriv89mo65mpnu1h4d4ps5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3222&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3222

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: What does this filter do?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 05:36 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:47:59 -0500, andy@invalid.com wrote:

> I made it many years ago and forgot what they hey it's for.
>
> subject: {^[[]}

It matches subject lines with a [ as the first character

For example, these:

[Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
[OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
[Update] Agent post direct write
[NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
[Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware

but not these:

Re: [Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
Re: [OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
Re: [Update] Agent post direct write
Re: [NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
Re: [Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Δος μοι πα στω και ταν γαν κινάσω
-- Ἀρχιμήδης (Archimedes)

Re: What does this filter do?

<7ioq3hdntd9hk9loh955vfk6ulr3qq9d2q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3223&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3223

From: and...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 00:36:28 -0600
 by: and...@invalid.com - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 06:36 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:47:59 -0500, andy@invalid.com wrote:
>
>> I made it many years ago and forgot what they hey it's for.
>>
>> subject: {^[[]}
>

>It matches subject lines with a [ as the first character
>
>For example, these:
>
> [Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
> [OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
> [Update] Agent post direct write
> [NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
> [Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware
>
>but not these:
>
> Re: [Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
> Re: [OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
> Re: [Update] Agent post direct write
> Re: [NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
> Re: [Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware

Thanks!

I must have been having some problem with somebody many years back
whom I couldn't filter that easily and used this one. Totally forgot
about it.

Thanks again!

Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<8r0u3h1sfubk1tm3cjtl7c590vsda5dlub@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3224&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3224

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:17:57 +0000
 by: John - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:17 UTC

wrote:

>??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??????
> -- ????????? (Archimedes)

This is not Greek to me nor to my Agent though I suppose it is
intended to be.
I've tried "Tools/Options/Languages" and setting the options to UTF,
Western and all of the other suggestions on Forté's webpages.

I know it is my fault but what am I missing?

Thanks,

J.

Re: What does this filter do?

<m41u3h9m7rtcprjiajg2aaq78bild9mr37@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3225&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3225

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:20:43 +0000
 by: John - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:20 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 00:36:28 -0600, andy@invalid.com wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:47:59 -0500, andy@invalid.com wrote:
>>
>>> I made it many years ago and forgot what they hey it's for.
>>>
>>> subject: {^[[]}
>>

>>It matches subject lines with a [ as the first character
>>
>>For example, these:
>>
>> [Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
>> [OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
>> [Update] Agent post direct write
>> [NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
>> [Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware
>>
>>but not these:
>>
>> Re: [Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
>> Re: [OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
>> Re: [Update] Agent post direct write
>> Re: [NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
>> Re: [Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware
>
>Thanks!
>
>I must have been having some problem with somebody many years back
>whom I couldn't filter that easily and used this one. Totally forgot
>about it.
>
>Thanks again!

Me, I just kill-file the author but yours is very clever.

Thank you,
J.

Note: can we please clone hundreds of copies of Ralph to preserve for
posterity? He's a marvelous resource.

Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<73bu3hl55uct39t158s1p4pf82g7og6ngt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3226&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3226

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 09:35:07 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 20:35 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:17:57 +0000, John wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>> Δος μοι πα στω και ταν γαν κινάσω
>> -- Ἀρχιμήδης (Archimedes)
>

> This is not Greek to me nor to my Agent though I suppose it is
> intended to be.
>
> I've tried "Tools/Options/Languages" and setting the options to UTF,
> Western and all of the other suggestions on Forté's webpages.
>
> what am I missing?
>
> Thanks,

1. You would need to configure _both_ "Tools >> Options >> Languages"
and "Tools >> Options >> Display >> Fonts".

2. You should create a new 'Language' at "Tools >> Options >> Languages".
Reconfiguring your existing language may mess up existing messages.
Reconfiguring your existing language will definitely trash
"extended ASCII" (8-bit) characters in your sent messages.

After that you should configure the fonts for this new language,
at "Tools >> Options >> Display >> Fonts". You _must_ select the
new language in the 'Fonts for the language' drop-down before
you configure the fonts for this new language.

3. The key options to configure are
* the 'Code Page' setting for the language, and
* the 'Script' setting for the two 'Body...' fonts for the
_same_ language.
These two must match, e.g. both should be 'Greek', both should
be 'Western', or both should be (say) 'Unicode UTF-8'.

3. See the help file at Help >> Index >> International fonts.
But also note that:
* (Step 1) For Greek, you will not need new fonts.
The basic fonts which have come with Windows for over 20 years,
support Greek and other European languages.
* (Step 2) Since Agent 4.0, the Forte-supplied .cod files are
already installed in the Agent working directory (the same
directory as agent.exe).

5. To show the characters correctly, select the message and use
"Edit >> Language" to select the new language.

6. If you configure the new language 'Greek' with code page and
font script as 'Greek', one or two of the characters will still
show as question marks.

The text uses the polytonic Greek system, which is the standard
today for writing Ancient Greek. The Windows font script setting
'Greek' supports the monotonic Greek system, which is the standard
today for writing modern Greek but is missing some of the accented
characters in polytonic Greek.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_diacritics>

7. To see all of the polytonic Greek characters, you could configure
the new language with code page and font script as 'Unicode UTF-8'.
This requires the Agent Unicode Extension (AgtEx) in message

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
Vita brevis, ars longa
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne

Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<8u3v3htjisvvqrjnifd8eoh6jvup6c590m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3227&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3227

From: and...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:29:33 -0600
 by: and...@invalid.com - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 22:29 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:17:57 +0000, John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>

>>??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??????
>> -- ????????? (Archimedes)
>

> This is not Greek to me nor to my Agent though I suppose it is
>intended to be.
>
> I've tried "Tools/Options/Languages" and setting the options to UTF,
>Western and all of the other suggestions on Forté's webpages.
>
> I know it is my fault but what am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.

Just an aside...

To filter out this junk...
From:??????????Jen??????????Dershmender????????????????????<root@127.0.0.1>

I use this: {[0]+}

Just saying...

(I don't understand it...but it works.)

Re: What does this filter do?

<345v3hdtjo576bt1s5a6k3edo2dgp6um74@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3228&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3228

From: and...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:34:11 -0600
 by: and...@invalid.com - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 22:34 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:20:43 +0000, John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 00:36:28 -0600, andy@invalid.com wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>It matches subject lines with a [ as the first character
>>>
>>>For example, these:
>>>
>>> [Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
>>> [OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
>>> [Update] Agent post direct write
>>> [NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
>>> [Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware
>>>
>>>but not these:
>>>
>>> Re: [Solved] How to filter crossposts to a bad group
>>> Re: [OT] Spinach on sale at the supermarket
>>> Re: [Update] Agent post direct write
>>> Re: [NFilter] Not working with Acme Usenet
>>> Re: [Ping Dodd Gee] Recommended hardware
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>I must have been having some problem with somebody many years back
>>whom I couldn't filter that easily and used this one. Totally forgot
>>about it.
>>
>>Thanks again!
>
> Me, I just kill-file the author but yours is very clever.
>
> Thank you,
> J.
>

>Note: can we please clone hundreds of copies of Ralph to preserve for
>posterity? He's a marvelous resource.

You keep talking like that and he's going to go on strike for a raise.
What do us dummies do than?

Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<lr2v3h96r0hf038mosfur2g7nv6c25vamt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3229&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3229

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:08:31 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 22:08 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:29:33 -0600, andy@invalid.com wrote:

> Just an aside...
>
> To filter out this junk...
> From:??????????Jen??????????Dershmender????????????????????<root@127.0.0.1>
>
> I use this: {[0]+}
>
> Just saying...
>
> (I don't understand it...but it works.)

This
{[0]+}
will filter out any message which has a '0' (zero) character
anywhere in the Subject and/or From headers.

For example, it will also filter out these recent threads:

64-bit Windows 10
Agent 7.2 or 8.0 for Gmail after May 30, Usable?
Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10
Agent 8.0 and UTF-8
default picture viewer doesn't get remembered in Agent 8.00

It could be simplified to this, and have exactly the same result:
{0}

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<6qav3h545h5mo8o3memregin65r6q1h1ht@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3230&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3230

From: and...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:13:41 -0600
 by: and...@invalid.com - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 00:13 UTC

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:08:31 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:29:33 -0600, andy@invalid.com wrote:
>
>> Just an aside...
>>
>> To filter out this junk...
>> From:??????????Jen??????????Dershmender????????????????????<root@127.0.0.1>
>>
>> I use this: {[0]+}
>>
>> Just saying...
>>
>> (I don't understand it...but it works.)
>

>This
> {[0]+}
>will filter out any message which has a '0' (zero) character
>anywhere in the Subject and/or From headers.
>
>For example, it will also filter out these recent threads:
>
> 64-bit Windows 10
> Agent 7.2 or 8.0 for Gmail after May 30, Usable?
> Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10
> Agent 8.0 and UTF-8
> default picture viewer doesn't get remembered in Agent 8.00
>

>It could be simplified to this, and have exactly the same result:
> {0}

Jeesh!

>will filter out any message which has a '0' (zero) character
>anywhere in the Subject and/or From headers.

That could be a problem.

I gonna have to take a break now. You're giving me a headache with
all this deep thinking stuff. I think I'm stuck with a 16 bit brain
and you keep giving us this 32 - 64 bit headache posts. :o(

Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<geh14hdrdtvhs0nua3qc8u7bod3toe3glq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3231&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3231

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:18:00 +0100
 by: John - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:18 UTC

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 09:35:07 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:17:57 +0000, John wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??????
>>> -- ????????? (Archimedes)
>>

>> This is not Greek to me nor to my Agent though I suppose it is
>> intended to be.
>>
>> I've tried "Tools/Options/Languages" and setting the options to UTF,
>> Western and all of the other suggestions on Forté's webpages.
>>
>> what am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks,

Oh!

Well!

Thank you lots and lots, sir, you have done an extraordinary amount
of work to solve what I thought of as a small, passing little issue.

Your kindness is ever so much appreciated.

J.

> 1. You would need to configure _both_ "Tools >> Options >> Languages"
> and "Tools >> Options >> Display >> Fonts".
>
> 2. You should create a new 'Language' at "Tools >> Options >> Languages".
> Reconfiguring your existing language may mess up existing messages.
> Reconfiguring your existing language will definitely trash
> "extended ASCII" (8-bit) characters in your sent messages.
>
> After that you should configure the fonts for this new language,
> at "Tools >> Options >> Display >> Fonts". You _must_ select the
> new language in the 'Fonts for the language' drop-down before
> you configure the fonts for this new language.
>
> 3. The key options to configure are
> * the 'Code Page' setting for the language, and
> * the 'Script' setting for the two 'Body...' fonts for the
> _same_ language.
> These two must match, e.g. both should be 'Greek', both should
> be 'Western', or both should be (say) 'Unicode UTF-8'.
>
> 3. See the help file at Help >> Index >> International fonts.
> But also note that:
> * (Step 1) For Greek, you will not need new fonts.
> The basic fonts which have come with Windows for over 20 years,
> support Greek and other European languages.
> * (Step 2) Since Agent 4.0, the Forte-supplied .cod files are
> already installed in the Agent working directory (the same
> directory as agent.exe).
>
> 5. To show the characters correctly, select the message and use
> "Edit >> Language" to select the new language.
>
> 6. If you configure the new language 'Greek' with code page and
> font script as 'Greek', one or two of the characters will still
> show as question marks.
>
> The text uses the polytonic Greek system, which is the standard
> today for writing Ancient Greek. The Windows font script setting
> 'Greek' supports the monotonic Greek system, which is the standard
> today for writing modern Greek but is missing some of the accented
> characters in polytonic Greek.
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_diacritics>
>
> 7. To see all of the polytonic Greek characters, you could configure
> the new language with code page and font script as 'Unicode UTF-8'.
> This requires the Agent Unicode Extension (AgtEx) in message

Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<lkh14h5pemm27856kqtecis7j9mr0fllpr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3232&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3232

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:20:20 +0100
 by: John - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:20 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:29:33 -0600, andy@invalid.com wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:17:57 +0000, John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:36:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??????
>>> -- ????????? (Archimedes)
>>

>> This is not Greek to me nor to my Agent though I suppose it is
>>intended to be.
>>
>> I've tried "Tools/Options/Languages" and setting the options to UTF,
>>Western and all of the other suggestions on Forté's webpages.
>>
>> I know it is my fault but what am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> J.
>>

>Just an aside...
>
>To filter out this junk...
>From:??????????Jen??????????Dershmender????????????????????<root@127.0.0.1>
>
>I use this: {[0]+}
>
>Just saying...
>
>(I don't understand it...but it works.)

OhhhhKayyy, but what else does it filter out?

I'm just curious. Thanks.

J.

Re: Not Greek to me: was : Re: What does this filter do?

<roh14h135eavcjejscjk3no8meogp5o9um@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3233&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3233

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:21:46 +0100
 by: John - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:21 UTC

wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:29:33 -0600, andy@invalid.com wrote:
>
>> Just an aside...
>>
>> To filter out this junk...
>> From:??????????Jen??????????Dershmender????????????????????<root@127.0.0.1>
>>
>> I use this: {[0]+}
>>
>> Just saying...
>>
>> (I don't understand it...but it works.)
>

>This
> {[0]+}
>will filter out any message which has a '0' (zero) character
>anywhere in the Subject and/or From headers.
>
>For example, it will also filter out these recent threads:
>
> 64-bit Windows 10
> Agent 7.2 or 8.0 for Gmail after May 30, Usable?
> Mess in alt.comp.os.windows-10
> Agent 8.0 and UTF-8
> default picture viewer doesn't get remembered in Agent 8.00
>

>It could be simplified to this, and have exactly the same result:
> {0}

Oh, sorry, I should have read this one before replying to the
previous.

I really must learn to do this more. :(

J.