Death, when unnecessary, is a tragic thing. -- Flint, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5843.7

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

SubjectAuthor
* No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiums|b
+* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumTheo
|+* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiums|b
||`* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
|| `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiums|b
||  `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burns
||   `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
||    `- Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiums|b
|`- Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burns
+* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumJoerg Lorenz
> [...]
||  `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burns
||   `- Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumRob
| `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burns
|  `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiumnospam
|   `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumRob
|    `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burns
|     `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
|      `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumRob
|       `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
|        `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumRob
|         `- Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
`* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiumsms
 +* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burns
 |`- Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
 `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiumnospam
  +* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burns
  |`- Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
  `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli
   `* Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgiumnospam
    `- Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in BelgiumAndy Burnelli

Pages:123
Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6blnu$jk5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32432&group=comp.mobile.android#32432

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 22:32:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 21 May 2022 21:32 UTC

s|b wrote:

> I just read Andy Burns's follow-up: apologies to you. I'll have to
> search for someone with another provider (with better WiFi calling
> support) and borrow his/her SIM so I can see if the setting appears.

Did you try to bring up the hidden wi-fi calling settings Activity yet?

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6bls7$lc9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32433&group=comp.mobile.android#32433

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 22:34:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 21 May 2022 21:34 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> They say just go into Phone/.../Settings/Calls/WiFi calling and enable it, but
> that option doesn't exist when their SIM is in the phone, so I believe the phone
> hides that option when it's not provisioned for it.

Hi Andy,
I don't know if s|b knows what an "Activity" is, but I think you do, right?
Have you tried to bring up the (likely hidden) Activity for Wi-Fi calling?

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jeu1p6Fn58sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32434&group=comp.mobile.android#32434

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 06:59:01 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 05:59 UTC

s|b wrote:

> So my provider can change the menu settings on my phone? No, they can
> not.

They can certainly send configuration text messages to reconfigure things such
as SMSC, APN, etc, also android has a whole API related to carrier
configuration, I think they have to sign "stuff" with a certificate that is
stored on the UICC (aka SIM)

<https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/carrier>

I'm pretty sure they can at least turn wifi calling on and off, and when it's
off the phone hides settings related to it

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jeu4meFn58sU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32435&group=comp.mobile.android#32435

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 07:48:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 06:48 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I don't know if s|b knows what an "Activity" is, but I think you do, right?
> Have you tried to bring up the (likely hidden) Activity for Wi-Fi calling?

Sure, I have "Activity Launcher" by Adam Szalkowski installed on my devices

The Huawei tablet (running android 9 and is a wifi-only device) shows

Phone Services
com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingSettings
com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingHelpActivity

but they fail to launch due to lack of permissions

The Pixel5a shows

Settings
com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingDisclaimerActivity
com.android.settings.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity

With the virgin SIM, all of those launch a blank WiFi-Calling screen, with a
back arrow that "returns" me to SIM settings.

Not much point trying it yet with the throwaway SIM I bought yesterday, since
that provider won't allow wifi calling until I've been with them for a week ...

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6d7u1$8nv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32436&group=comp.mobile.android#32436

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 12:48:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 11:48 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> I don't know if s|b knows what an "Activity" is, but I think you do, right?
>> Have you tried to bring up the (likely hidden) Activity for Wi-Fi calling?
>
> Sure, I have "Activity Launcher" by Adam Szalkowski installed on my devices

OK. Well then you already know about _hidden_ Activities, and that they
sometimes can be brought to the fore (if they exist at all on your device).

For the others on this conversation, particularly [s or b], an "Activity"
is simply a screen that pops up to the user in any app, where the Android
"Settings" is an app that has something like three or four hundred distinct
pages, each of which is an "Activity" with a unique name.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=current%20activity&c=apps>

To further explain what Andy Burns already knows, if you know the unique
name of that Activity, then you can pop it up at will, whenever you want.

The app that Andy Burns uses to search for that name and pop it up is:
*Activity Launcher* by Adam Szalkowski
Free, ad free, google free, gsf free, rated 4.0, 5M+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.szalkowski.activitylauncher>

I have plenty of others installed which do the job both better and worse
than that app does, but I don't like the search engine from _any_ of them
yet, where, because the Activity search sucks so badly, I more often run
reverse methods to find the name of the Activity

With a reverse method, you first find the Activity the normal way
(of course, it has to be _not hidden_ for that phone!) and then you know the
unique name of that Activity for that phone (which I posted elsewhere
in this thread for _my_ phone).
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=shortcut%20inspector&c=apps>

Once you have the name of the Activity, you can call it using "adb"
(in addition to calling it using any decent intent launcher/viewer)
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=intent%20viewer%20launcher&c=apps>

However, I "think" you still need certain permissions, but I'm not sure:
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.sec.unifiedwfc/com.sec.unifiedwfc.LaunchUnifiedActivity
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.sec.unifiedwfc/.LaunchUnifiedActivity }
Exception occurred while executing 'start':
java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial:
starting Intent { flg=0x10000000 cmp=com.sec.unifiedwfc/.LaunchUnifiedActivity }
from null (pid=24393, uid=2000)
requires com.samsung.android.unifiedwfc.VOWIFI_PROVISIONING_PERMISSION
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dyy7rWYd/adb03.jpg> Activity requires permission

> The Huawei tablet (running android 9 and is a wifi-only device) shows
>
> Phone Services
> com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingSettings
> com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingHelpActivity
>
> but they fail to launch due to lack of permissions

Are you sure that first one listed above isn't this?
[com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity]
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings\$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
Warning: Activity not started, its current task has been brought to the front
<https://i.postimg.cc/wTfg06CK/adb04.jpg> WiFi Calling on/off Activity

Anyway, let me try both those named Android Activities on my Samsung:

C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingSettings
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
Bad component name: com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingSettings
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingHelpActivity
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
Bad component name: com.android.phone.settings.WifiCallingHelpActivity
<https://i.postimg.cc/Gm4rfWR4/adb05.jpg> Some Activities fail to run

Note: These can be run from inside Termux on Android (simply by eliminating
the "adb shell" part of the commands above) but most people don't mirror
Android on Windows, so typing it is a pain, so I'm using Windows adb above.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xz7Qtrn/adb06.jpg> Run Activity from Termux

> The Pixel5a shows
> Settings
> com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
> com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingDisclaimerActivity
> com.android.settings.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity
> With the virgin SIM, all of those launch a blank WiFi-Calling screen, with a
> back arrow that "returns" me to SIM settings.

Let me try those three named Android Activities on my Samsung:
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
Bad component name: com.android.settings.Settings
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingDisclaimerActivity
Bad component name: com.android.settings.Settings
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity
Bad component name com.android.settings.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity
<https://i.postimg.cc/W3vvhtkZ/adb07.jpg> Activity = Bad Component Name

What I think is that the named Activity changes names depending on "something",
probably the specific device & the specific Android version.
C:\> adb shell am start -n 'com.android.settings/.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity'
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity }
<https://i.postimg.cc/9X1hQmF4/adb08.jpg> Starting WifiCallingSettingsActivity

C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity }
<https://i.postimg.cc/zB5sqMsS/adb09.jpg>

C:\>adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.wifi.WifiStatusTest
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiStatusTest }
<https://i.postimg.cc/rwb9Mrr8/adb10.jpg> WiFi settings overview

C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings\$WifiControlHistoryActivity
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.Settings$WifiControlHistoryActivity }
<https://i.postimg.cc/xTqWjL47/adb11.jpg> WiFi control history

> Not much point trying it yet with the throwaway SIM I bought yesterday, since
> that provider won't allow wifi calling until I've been with them for a week

I'm not sure myself if that is the "correct" name for the desired Activity,
but maybe it is as you know far more than I do about Android Activities.

Here is a cut-and-paste from one of my tutorials on running adb which
indicates that it's not always simple to figure out the right Activity.

--< BELOW is a cut and paste from my adb tutorial >--
Here is an example of an activity you can't get to from the Settings menu
(it's a hidden activity).
Wi-Fi Calling Settings
TARGET = com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings\$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
Settings > Connections >
intent:#intent;action=android.intent.action.MAIN;category=android.intent.category.LAUNCHER;package=com.android.settings;component=com.android.settings/.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity;end
Action = android.intent.action.MAIN
Package Name = com.android.settings
Class Name = com.android.settings.Settings$WiFiCallingSettingsActivity
Category = android.intent.category.LAUNCHER

This is a different menu than the menu above.
Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi Calling > {Wi-Fi preferred, Cellular preferred}
com.sec.unifiedwfc.LaunchUnifiedActivity
--< ABOVE is a cut and paste from my adb tutorial >--

The problem is that I can only access that menu from Android
settings and _not_ using adb for some reason unknown to me.
<https://i.postimg.cc/R0x8TyZ5/adb12.jpg> Using an Activity Inspector

BTW, I just brought up each of those related Intents on my Samsung.
C:\> adb shell am start -a android.settings.WIFI_SETTINGS
Starting: Intent { act=android.settings.WIFI_SETTINGS }
C:\> adb shell am start -a android.settings.WIFI_IP_SETTINGS
Starting: Intent { act=android.settings.WIFI_IP_SETTINGS }
C:\> adb shell am start -a android.settings.WIRELESS_SETTINGS
Starting: Intent { act=android.settings.WIRELESS_SETTINGS }
<https://i.postimg.cc/7hhQ6ym7/adb13.jpg> Adb using -a for wifi Intents

In summary, I tried but I couldn't find a specific hidden
intent or activity that might help you and s|b, unfortunately.
--
On Usenet, kind hearted people try to help each other all day every day.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jeuncqFr345U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32437&group=comp.mobile.android#32437

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:07:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 12:07 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> In summary, I tried but I couldn't find a specific hidden
> intent or activity that might help you and s|b, unfortunately.

I'm going to park this until next weekend, when the asda SIM ought to allow wifi
calling, it does already show as provisioned in the Phone Info activity, which
is more than the virgin SIM does

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jev46mFtj35U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32438&group=comp.mobile.android#32438

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 17:46:30 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 22 May 2022 15:46 UTC

On Sat, 21 May 2022 22:32:06 +0100, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Did you try to bring up the hidden wi-fi calling settings Activity yet?

Please explain Activity.

--
s|b

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jev66fFttaoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32439&group=comp.mobile.android#32439

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:20:31 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 22 May 2022 16:20 UTC

On Sun, 22 May 2022 17:46:30 +0200, s|b wrote:

> > Did you try to bring up the hidden wi-fi calling settings Activity yet?
> Please explain Activity.

Sorry, just read your other posting. I used *#*#4636#*#* to see what's
there and WiFi calling isn't enabled, so I don't think there would be
any point in trying it?

--
s|b

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jev7clFu60oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32440&group=comp.mobile.android#32440

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:40:53 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 22 May 2022 16:40 UTC

On Thu, 19 May 2022 23:47:30 +0100, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I thank you for bringing up this issue which I know absolutely nothing
> about, but in trying to see if I can help you, I found my settings:
> <https://i.postimg.cc/VN5K5k6Z/wificalling01.jpg> Wi-Fi Calling

At least one of us seems to be able to use it. (-:
> Which is just an "Activity" inside of Android, where, sometimes, not often
> but certainly I've seen that "some" Android "Activities" are merely hidden.

Yes, but my provider should still enable it, no?
> While you can run that Activity if you know how, it's easier if we can find
> an app that already does that for you, assuming that's the right Activity.
>
> Looking for an app that does that for you, these came up with "may" work.
> *Wifi Calling* by Widget7 "Enable the hidden Wifi Calling VoWifi function"
> Free, +ads, Requires GSF, rated 3.5, 500K installs
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widget7.wifi.calling>
>
> That app just brings up the hidden Android Activity which may be all that
> you need to do if my guess is correct that Google just hid it on you.

Although the page mentions 'Belgium:Telenet' (my provider) it doesn't
seem to work. I tapped on 'Wifi Calling Setting', but it just shows a
text 'wifi calling' and nothing happens. I then tapped 'Phone info' and
it showed:

<quote>

Toggle 'VoLTE Provisioned' to ON and toggle 'Wifi Calling Provisioned'
to ON, Then the phone's Wifi Calling feature will be on. If the button
is gray or can't turn on, The phone or the carrier doesn't support Wifi
Calling.'
> If not, this app "says" it does the WiFi calling functionality.
> *Wifi Calling - Wifi Voice Call* by Cold One Epic Apps
> Free, +ads, Requires GSF, rated 3.3, 10K+ installs
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=best.free.apps.wificallingapp>
>
> Let us know if either of those two options work for you to allow you to set
> the Android phone to perform Wi-Fi calling like God herself intended it to.

I'd rather not clutter my phone with any more apps. Also, I'm under the
impression it's one or the other. Either you use wifi calling all the
time or you use the mobile network (if that is the correct term). I
thought it worked as a backup for when you have a poor connection with
the mobile network.

--
s|b

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jev7miFu7vrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32441&group=comp.mobile.android#32441

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:46:09 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 22 May 2022 16:46 UTC

On Sun, 22 May 2022 12:48:41 +0100, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Once you have the name of the Activity, you can call it using "adb"
> (in addition to calling it using any decent intent launcher/viewer)
> <https://play.google.com/store/search?q=intent%20viewer%20launcher&c=apps>

Damn! I barely know of adb. This is above my pay grade...

> In summary, I tried but I couldn't find a specific hidden
> intent or activity that might help you and s|b, unfortunately.

That I can understand. Thanks for trying.

--
s|b

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6dqip$910$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32442&group=comp.mobile.android#32442

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:06:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:06 UTC

s|b wrote:

>>> Did you try to bring up the hidden wi-fi calling settings Activity yet?
>
>> Please explain Activity.
>
> Sorry, just read your other posting. I used *#*#4636#*#* to see what's
> there and WiFi calling isn't enabled, so I don't think there would be
> any point in trying it?

Hi S or B,
It's not that simple. :)

You have, oh, probably a thousand "Activities" on your phone right now,
only some of which are hidden of course, but those numbers above aren't
going to find them (although a keypad may find a couple of them).

I see you saw the explanation, where every "screen" inside of any app,
including the Android "Settings" app, is an "Activity", most of which
(but not all of which) are "public" in that you can call them directly.

For example Android can have the "Reset Google Play Services storage"
page buried deep in the settings, but you can always call it up directly.
Android Termux > am start -n com.google.android.gms/co.g.Space

This is useful not only for buried Activities, but also for hidden
Activities because there is no other way to access hidden Activities.
*How to Access Hidden Settings on your Phone*
<https://www.xda-developers.com/heres-how-to-access-hidden-settings-on-your-phone/>

The problem, of course, is if the Activity is hidden, you have to know,
ahead of time, what the _name_ of the Activity is; but you're lucky,
I think, in this case, because the Wi-Fi-calling activity may only be
hidden on your phone, but it might not be hidden on other people's phone.

That means we can run an "inspector" to figure out the name of the hidden
Activity, where I recommend this as the best inspector I know out there.
*Shortcut Widgets (+ Inspector)* by Hamed Nikbakht
Free, ad free, google free, gsf free, not rated, 100+ installs <--low
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cemique.shortcutwidgets>

On my phone, these below are all ways to call _hidden_ Activities which
sometimes have specific syntax and always have very specific spelling
and capitalization requirements.

If I didn't know they were there, or if I got the syntax wrong, I wouldn't
have any way to pop them up when I want to see them since they don't show
up in any menu item on Android (as far as I know).

Wi-Fi calling (afaik this is a hidden Activity unavailable to users via a menu)
Termux> am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings\$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings\$WifiCallingSettingsActivity

Wi-Fi calling (afaik this is a hidden Activity unavailable to users via a menu)
Termux> am start -n 'com.android.settings/.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity'
C:\> adb shell am start -n 'com.android.settings/.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity'

Wi-Fi calling (afaik this is a hidden Activity unavailable to users via a menu)
Termux> am start -n com.android.settings/.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.wifi.calling.WifiCallingSuggestionActivity

WiFi Status (afaik this is a hidden Activity unavailable to users via a menu)
Termux> am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.wifi.WifiStatusTest
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.wifi.WifiStatusTest

Wi-Fi control history (afaik this is a hidden Activity unavailable to users via a menu)
Termux> am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings\$WifiControlHistoryActivity
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings\$WifiControlHistoryActivity

Vision Settings (afaik this is a hidden Activity unavailable to users via a menu)
Termux> am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.accessibility.AccessibilitySettingsForSetupWizardActivity
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.accessibility.AccessibilitySettingsForSetupWizardActivity

Memory usage (afaik this is a hidden Activity unavailable to users via a menu)
Termux> am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings\$AppMemoryUsageActivity
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings\$AppMemoryUsageActivity

Note that often you can find an app on the Google Play Store which adds
those calls, but I prefer to call them directly using adb as shown.
--
Usenet is a team where every player tries to move the ball forward.
The great thing about Usenet is people work together to help everyone learn.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jev8utFtmn4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32443&group=comp.mobile.android#32443

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:07:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:07 UTC

s|b wrote:

> If the button is gray or can't turn on, The phone or the carrier doesn't
> support Wifi Calling.

It would be handy to be able to determine which.

That app doesn't provide any functionality of its own, it's advert heavy and you
can invoke both screens in other ways e.g. the *#*# option or Activity Launcher

in my case the "Wifi Calling Setting" screen is an empty dialog, and on the
"Phone Info" screen the sliders are greyed out.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jev92oFtmn4U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32444&group=comp.mobile.android#32444

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:09:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:09 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> The app that Andy Burns uses to search for that name and pop it up is:
> *Activity Launcher* by Adam Szalkowski
> Free, ad free, google free, gsf free, rated 4.0, 5M+ installs
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.szalkowski.activitylauncher>
>
> I have plenty of others installed which do the job both better and worse
> than that app does, but I don't like the search engine from _any_ of them

I'm sure there are better apps, that one works, and has no ads, all I did was
search for intents matching wificall and vowifi

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6drrg$sg0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32445&group=comp.mobile.android#32445

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:28:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:28 UTC

s|b wrote:

>> In summary, I tried but I couldn't find a specific hidden
>> intent or activity that might help you and s|b, unfortunately.
>
> That I can understand. Thanks for trying.

Well, as far as I can tell, if your phone can't pull up a "page" inside of
Android that _other_ phones _can_ pull up, then it's only one of these:

a. That "page" (aka "Activity") simply doesn't exist on your phone.
b. Or, that "page" is simply _hidden_ from your view on your phone.

If it doesn't exist, there's nothing I know of that can help.
But if it's simply hidden, then we can "maybe" pull it up for you.

What we have to know is the exact name of the "page" (aka Activity).
That's the stuff Andy Burns was talking about.

Since he's on it, and since he knows more than I do, I leave it to him.
--
Posted as an exchange of dialog about items of knowledge & experience.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6dsa4$12j5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32446&group=comp.mobile.android#32446

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:36:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:36 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> I'm sure there are better apps, that one works, and has no ads, all I did was
> search for intents matching wificall and vowifi

I wouldn't trust _any_ search in any Activity reporting utility on Android.

BTW, there are a half dozen or so I use where they come in four flavors.

1. The type that just shows public activities (on an app-by-app basis)
2. The type that shows public activities & which creates a desktop shortcut
3. The type that can create a desktop shortcut from scratch (from text)
4. The type that reports which activity you last pulled up on the phone

Since I do all four tasks, I need at least one of each type above.
However, what they _all_ are missing is a decent search function. Sigh.
--
Posted, as always, out of the goodness of my heart, in order to help.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6dsfh$msm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32447&group=comp.mobile.android#32447

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 10:38:54 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:38 UTC

On 5/19/2022 1:18 PM, s|b wrote:
> I live in Belgium and have Telenet as my carrier. Officially they only
> support Apple, Samsung and Huawei when it comes to WiFi calling. I asked
> them to try and activate it for my Pixel 6.

The carrier looks at the TAC portion of the IMEI (which specifies the
phone model) and determines which features to enable. The SIM card can
also enable and disable certain features, but not selectively by phone
model, and since you say that Wi-Fi calling is supported on Apple,
Huawei, and Samsung phones, it's not the SIM card that's preventing
Wi-Fi calling from being enabled.

I doubt that anyone that you can actually talk to at the carrier would
be the person that could go into their system and change which TACs they
allow to use Wi-Fi calling.

In the U.S., it used to be that carriers would not allow MVNOs to enable
Wi-Fi calling, though that prohibition has pretty much ended, though now
some MVNOs that charge by the minute will also charge for Wi-Fi calls.

I suspect that the only way you to get Wi-Fi calling to work, maybe,
would be to find a donor phone (Apple, Huawei, Samsung) and use the IMEI
from that phone on your Pixel. But that's a very involved process,
requires rooting, and is not legal in some countries.

You might try this app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widget7.wifi.calling>. "Why
need the APP?
Today , Many retail mobiles have "Wifi Calling" function but not any
menu entry to enable , The APP can check the hidden function and enable
it if can use."

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jevb7nFtmn4U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32448&group=comp.mobile.android#32448

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:46:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:46 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> What we have to know is the exact name of the "page" (aka Activity).
> That's the stuff Andy Burns was talking about.
>
> Since he's on it, and since he knows more than I do, I leave it to him.

The relevant activities that I know about (from the Pixel5a, they may be
different on other phones)

1) since the *#*#INFO#*#* doesn't work on all phones, its full name is

com.android.phone.settings.RadioInfo

From there you can see (and possibly alter) the sliders for VoLTE and VoWiFi
and also get to the IMS service status via the [...] menu

2) the wifi calling settings page, supposedly you can get to it via
Phone/[...]/Settings/Calls/WiFi Calling
and it lets you turn wifi calling on or off, and make either wifi or 3G/4G
preferred, but for me that option is simply not there

its full name is
com.android.settings.Settings$WiFiCallingSettingsActivity

I can invoke it, but it's a blank screen with just the title "Wi-Fi Calling"

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jevbhfFtmn4U4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32449&group=comp.mobile.android#32449

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:51:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:51 UTC

sms wrote:

> You might try this app
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widget7.wifi.calling>. "Why
> need the APP?
> Today , Many retail mobiles have "Wifi Calling" function but not any menu entry
> to enable , The APP can check the hidden function and enable it if can use."

I'd say that's more of an advert carrier, than a sensible app, it doesn't let
you do anything you can't already do, and those things don't let you turn wifi
calling on anyway (at least in my case).

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6dt7g$1g6u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32450&group=comp.mobile.android#32450

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:52:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:52 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> If the button is gray or can't turn on, The phone or the carrier doesn't
>> support Wifi Calling.
>
> It would be handy to be able to determine which.
>
> That app doesn't provide any functionality of its own, it's advert heavy and you
> can invoke both screens in other ways e.g. the *#*# option or Activity Launcher
>
> in my case the "Wifi Calling Setting" screen is an empty dialog, and on the
> "Phone Info" screen the sliders are greyed out.

I'm sorry if that app sucks but I only suggested it 'cuz s|b doesn't seem
like the type to be creating a homescreen shortcut to the desired Activity.

There may be a better app that does what you need though, as shown here:
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Calling%20VoWifi%20function&c=apps>
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Calling%20VoWifi%20belgium&c=apps>
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=VoWifi%20belgium%20Telenet&c=apps>
etc.

However, I agree with you that there shouldn't ever be a need to use an app
to bring up any given Activity if the Activity exists on the phone (even if
it's a hidden Activity), but for s|b an app may be less confusing than for
us to explain to him how to create a homescreen shortcut to an Activity. :)
--
Sometimes on Usenet you can find people who know more than you do.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<220520221407499050%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32451&group=comp.mobile.android#32451

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 14:07:49 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 22 May 2022 18:07 UTC

In article <t6dsfh$msm$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> The carrier looks at the TAC portion of the IMEI (which specifies the
> phone model) and determines which features to enable.

nope. that's not how it works. provisioning is done in software, and in
some cases, it's sim-dependent.

> I doubt that anyone that you can actually talk to at the carrier would
> be the person that could go into their system and change which TACs they
> allow to use Wi-Fi calling.

that's because it's provisioned in software.

anyone who knows what tac means (i.e., not the frontline agents who
read from a script) would laugh at such a request.

> In the U.S., it used to be that carriers would not allow MVNOs to enable
> Wi-Fi calling, though that prohibition has pretty much ended, though now

maybe long ago they did, but mvnos have offered wifi calling for years.

> some MVNOs that charge by the minute will also charge for Wi-Fi calls.

so do the major carriers, because 'it's voice minutes'.

> I suspect that the only way you to get Wi-Fi calling to work, maybe,
> would be to find a donor phone (Apple, Huawei, Samsung) and use the IMEI

your suspicions are wrong, with a description of how to commit fraud,
which won't actually work anyway.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<jevdbuFohlU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32452&group=comp.mobile.android#32452

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 19:22:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 May 2022 18:22 UTC

nospam wrote:

> provisioning is done in software, and in
> some cases, it's sim-dependent.

operator settings have to be signed by a cert which exists on the SIM (i.e. good
luck trying to alter them)

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6e0mh$111j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32453&group=comp.mobile.android#32453

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 19:51:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 18:51 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> You might try this app
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widget7.wifi.calling>. "Why
>> need the APP?
>> Today , Many retail mobiles have "Wifi Calling" function but not any menu entry
>> to enable , The APP can check the hidden function and enable it if can use."
>
> I'd say that's more of an advert carrier, than a sensible app, it doesn't let
> you do anything you can't already do, and those things don't let you turn wifi
> calling on anyway (at least in my case).

Unfortunately, Steve is ignorant of what is said in any given thread as
I had already mentioned that app days ago, and you had already responded
what you thought of is, so I am sorry that Steve wasted your time again
on something that he should have known since we covered this already.

While you don't need _any_ app to bring up an Android Activity, most (if
not all) of the others don't even know what an Activity is, so _they_ will
need such utility apps to bring up the Activity you already know about.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hidden%20wifi%20calling&c=apps>

A lot of people seem to have the same question though, so it may have an
answer that we just haven't found (as I haven't tackled the problem myself)
<https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/oxu8vo/hidden_menu_and_volte_settings/>

If I did tackle the problem, I would just create my own homescreen
shortcut, but I realize most people don't know how to do that, even as
there are apps that will make public homescreen shortcuts for any Activity.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rk.android.app.shortcutmaker>

Who knows which of those apps actually does what they claim though, e.g.,
*Hidden Android Settings* by 0alex
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kasitskyi.hiddensettings>

Some specifically mention they call the radioInfo settings though:
<https://androidtoolsapps.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/network-just-a-shortcut-to-the-radioinfo-from-com-android-settings/>
(Although I couldn't find the app due to a dead link.)
--
Those who don't try to bullshit me find me quite friendly & helpful.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6e0ns$11ht$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32454&group=comp.mobile.android#32454

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 19:52:04 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 18:52 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> The relevant activities that I know about (from the Pixel5a, they may be
> different on other phones)
>
> 1) since the *#*#INFO#*#* doesn't work on all phones, its full name is

Just FYI, that doesn't work on my phone (it tries to make a call).

But this brings up the Wi-Fi calling & allows me to set preferences.
<https://i.postimg.cc/sxn4F1WS/adb14.jpg> Wi-Fi Calling Activity
> com.android.phone.settings.RadioInfo

Funnily enough, that was in my previous reference:
<https://www.xda-developers.com/heres-how-to-access-hidden-settings-on-your-phone/>

However, again just FYI, that doesn't work for mine either.
c:\>adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.RadioInfo
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.RadioInfo }
Error type 3
Error: Activity class {com.android.settings/com.android.settings.RadioInfo} does not exist.

I can't make much sense of this source code but maybe you can.
<https://www.javatips.net/api/platform_packages_apps_settings-master/src/com/android/settings/RadioInfo.java>
<https://cs.android.com/android/platform/superproject/+/master:packages/services/Telephony/src/com/android/phone/settings/RadioInfo.java>

This guy "hints" at getting you closer to what you seek, I think:
*Forcibly call com.android.settings.RadioInfo to display its Activity*
<https://blog.actorsfit.com/a?ID=00800-697a8582-3506-4af5-a67d-891b5c4970de>
<https://blog.birost.com/a?ID=00200-d3e14805-8bbe-462d-8f70-040b9a0f7386>

> From there you can see (and possibly alter) the sliders for VoLTE and VoWiFi
> and also get to the IMS service status via the [...] menu
>
> 2) the wifi calling settings page, supposedly you can get to it via
> Phone/[...]/Settings/Calls/WiFi Calling
> and it lets you turn wifi calling on or off, and make either wifi or 3G/4G
> preferred, but for me that option is simply not there
>
> its full name is
> com.android.settings.Settings$WiFiCallingSettingsActivity
>
> I can invoke it, but it's a blank screen with just the title "Wi-Fi Calling"

I can invoke it but I have to change the syntax slightly to escape stuff:
C:\> adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings\$WifiCallingSettingsActivity

I can also invoke it with an intent launcher but the syntax is horrific.
*Intent* by krow
Free, ad free, Google free, GSF free, rated 3.8, 50K+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=krow.dev.scheme>

*Intent Launcher* by Ville Valta
Free, ad free, Google free, GSF free, not rated, 5K+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.villevalta.intentlauncher>

*Instant Intent [Experiment]* by TrianguloY
Free, ad free, Google free, GSF free, rated 5.0, 1K+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trianguloy.instantintent>

Here's the syntax that last worked for me:
Wi-Fi Calling Settings
TARGET = com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings\$WifiCallingSettingsActivity
Settings > Connections >
intent:#intent;action=android.intent.action.MAIN;category=android.intent.category.LAUNCHER;package=com.android.settings;component=com.android.settings/.Settings$WifiCallingSettingsActivity;end
Action = android.intent.action.MAIN
Package Name = com.android.settings
Class Name = com.android.settings.Settings$WiFiCallingSettingsActivity
Category = android.intent.category.LAUNCHER

While I can create these homescreen shortcuts to bring up the hidden
settings above, and you probably can also, most people might not want
to go that route (and it would take us too long to explain it to them).

For me, calling "com.android.settings.Settings$WiFiCallingSettingsActivity"
brings up the Wi-Fi Calling menu, which I can longpress on to get more
options as shown in this screenshot below.
<https://i.postimg.cc/sxn4F1WS/adb14.jpg> Wi-Fi Calling Activity
--
Posted solely out of the goodness of my heart to help someone in need.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6e2hl$1qf4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32455&group=comp.mobile.android#32455

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 20:22:53 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 19:22 UTC

nospam wrote:
>> I suspect that the only way you to get Wi-Fi calling to work, maybe,
>> would be to find a donor phone (Apple, Huawei, Samsung) and use the IMEI
>
> your suspicions are wrong, with a description of how to commit fraud,
> which won't actually work anyway.

Statements like that are how we know your IQ is rather low, nospam.

We covered this topic, multiple times nospam, and you never remember a
thing because if a normal adult uses ten facts to make a conclusion, you
only use one to make your conclusion.

Which is why you're almost always wrong about almost everything, nospam.

It's just a number, nospam, especially if the IMEI is a number of a phone
that you own that happens to be in your desk drawer.

Whether or not it's fraud to change your IMEI _requires_ all (every single
one!) of the tenets of fraud, which is _never_ a single act, nospam.

That after all these years you can't comprehend a topic even _that_ simple
is one of the many pieces of evidence that tells me your IQ is substandard.

HINT: *What Are the Elements of Common Law Fraud?*
<https://www.mitchell-attorneys.com/common-law-fraud>
--
The problem with the iKooks is they're almost always wrong because they
don't own the necessary adult cognitive skills to process basic facts.

Re: No WiFi calling on Pixel 6 (or Pixel 3)... in Belgium

<t6e2md$1s39$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32456&group=comp.mobile.android#32456

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 20:25:26 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 May 2022 19:25 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> provisioning is done in software, and in
>> some cases, it's sim-dependent.
>
> operator settings have to be signed by a cert which exists on the SIM (i.e. good
> luck trying to alter them)

There are people who are good people trying to help & then there's nospam.

We're trying to help you and s|b (any way we possibly can), but we have to
keep in mind there will always be people like nospam who aren't helpful.

They just want to disagree with anything and everything that anyone says,
where at least Steve was trying to help you, and which I recognize.
--
(I just wish Steve didn't repeat what we already covered in this thread.)