"Irrationality is the square root of all evil" -- Douglas Hofstadter

computers / comp.mobile.android / Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

SubjectAuthor
* Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
+- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
+- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Joerg Lorenz
+* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?VanguardLH
|+* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
||`* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Joerg Lorenz
|| `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
||  `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Joerg Lorenz
||   `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Allodoxaphobia
||    +- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
||    `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
||     +- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Andy Burnelli
||     `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
||      `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
||       `- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
|+* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
||`- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
|`- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Joerg Lorenz
+* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
|`- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
+* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Bob F
|+- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
|`* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Chris
| `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
|  `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Allodoxaphobia
|   `- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?David Taylor
`* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
 +- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
 +* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
 |`* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
 | `- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
 `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
  +* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?sms
  |`* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?micky
  | `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?AJL
  |  `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Andy Burnelli
  |   `* Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?AJL
  |    `- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?Andy Burnelli
  +- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?nospam
  `- Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?AJL

Pages:12
Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<tc6n8hdrksh9pf6ir8mlejtsfgs3ejmuru@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32465&group=comp.mobile.android#32465

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 17:30:42 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 23 May 2022 14:30 UTC

Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?

I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.

Does a second speaker make a big difference?

The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<230520221049349598%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32466&group=comp.mobile.android#32466

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 10:49:34 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 23 May 2022 14:49 UTC

In article <tc6n8hdrksh9pf6ir8mlejtsfgs3ejmuru@4ax.com>, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?

some do. it depends on the phone.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6gdq2$f7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32467&group=comp.mobile.android#32467

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 18:46:58 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 23 May 2022 16:46 UTC

Am 23.05.22 um 16:30 schrieb micky:
> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>
> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>
> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>
> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.

I use a Mega-Boom 3 from Logitech to listen my favorite radio stations
and my own music from my cell in unbeaten quality. Recently I drove from
Switzerland to Toulon in France listening online 9 hours to my radio
stations.

Phantastic coverage in France and Switzerland. Not one single second of
interruption and quite easy control of the Logitech Box.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<1h6a5btm9o2q3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32468&group=comp.mobile.android#32468

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 11:48:30 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 23 May 2022 16:48 UTC

micky wrote:

> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>
> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>
> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>
> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.

Just an example: How are you going to get the big bass sound possible
from a Bluetooth-attached speaker from that picyune speaker inside the
phone?

"Good" is subjective. Those raised on cell phones are often found
stating the quality of their calls are good. They weren't weaned on
POTS that was far clearer with far less artifacts than cell calls. When
compared against each other, cellular voice quality sucks.

Also, depends on how you want to listen to audio. If the phone is
plastered against your ear, the phone's speaker may be sufficient.
However, if you're out in the garage working on your car and want music
to listen to, you won't hear what's playing on your phone, but a
Bluetooth-attach speaker (with its own power source) will resound inside
the garage.

I forget its name, but I got a Bluetooth boombox as a freebie included
with a purchase at Newegg. I used it a little bit, but eventually sold
it off, because I was merely using because I had it, not because I had
any real use for it. It just sat in a drawer collecting dust except
when I decided to test it, so I eventually sold it off via Craigslist.
I don't even listen to the stereo in my car except to hear instructions
from Google Maps from my smartphone through a Bluetooth-to-FM
transceiver that my radio picks up.

The more you push up the volume, the more distortion you get. If you
want clear audio, especially for music, you don't want the volume level
high on the phone, and instead have volume control on the external
Bluetooth-attached speaker (which will still distort when you max its
volume level, too).

If the phone is grafted to you, ear buds are probably sufficient.
However, if you intend to be away from the phone even a few feet, you'll
need a Bluetooth speaker.

Since you're living in your car, it doesn't have Bluetooth to the
headset to let you listen to music on the phone played over your car's
speakers?

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<230520221348585466%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32469&group=comp.mobile.android#32469

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 13:48:58 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 23 May 2022 17:48 UTC

In article <1h6a5btm9o2q3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> "Good" is subjective.

actually, it can be measured objectively.

> Those raised on cell phones are often found
> stating the quality of their calls are good. They weren't weaned on
> POTS that was far clearer with far less artifacts than cell calls. When
> compared against each other, cellular voice quality sucks.

that might have been true for early analog cellphones, however, with
digital, cellular call quality is better than pots, and with hd voice
on modern cellphones as well as voip, call quality is significantly
better than pots.

<https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/wideband-audio>
A digitial voice signal with a greater range of frequencies. Also
branded as "HD Voice" by Polycom, the narrowband 300-3400 Hz
frequency range of the traditional "toll quality" telephone call was
broadened to 50-7000 Hz for wideband audio.
Starting in 2009, cellular carriers in Europe and around the world
added support for wideband voice, while U.S. carriers delayed
deployment until 2013.

> Also, depends on how you want to listen to audio. If the phone is
> plastered against your ear, the phone's speaker may be sufficient.
> However, if you're out in the garage working on your car and want music
> to listen to, you won't hear what's playing on your phone, but a
> Bluetooth-attach speaker (with its own power source) will resound inside
> the garage.

that depends on the phone. many of them can be quite loud because
listening to audio on the internal speakers is a common use case.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6gm9d$lvh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32470&group=comp.mobile.android#32470

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 12:11:39 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 23 May 2022 19:11 UTC

On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?

Yes, the Asus ROG Phone 5s has excellent sound without earbuds or a
Bluetooth speaker. It's ranked as the phone with the best quality sound
from the speakers. I has two front speakers, unlike most phones where
one speaker is at the bottom. See
<https://audioxpress.com/news/dirac-makes-the-new-dual-speaker-asus-rog-phone-5-the-best-sounding-smartphone-available>.

The 5s has the same setup as the 5.

It's nearly $1000.

Other the ROG 5 and ROG 5s, forget about high quality sound from the
built in speakers.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6gpbs$fcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32471&group=comp.mobile.android#32471

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 13:04:10 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 23 May 2022 20:04 UTC

On 5/23/2022 12:11 PM, sms wrote:

<snip>

> The 5s has the same setup as the 5.
>
> It's nearly $1000.
>
> Other the ROG 5 and ROG 5s, forget about high quality sound from the
> built in speakers.

Actually, I forgot that there is also the Sony Xperia 1 III
<https://electronics.sony.com/mobile/smartphone/all/p/xqbc62-v>, which
is even more expensive than the Asus ROG 5s, $1199.

Personally there are times when I'd love to have really good speakers on
a phone without having to connect to an external speaker, but not sure
I'd be willing to spend that much money. These are "enthusiast" phones
marketed to specific consumers that are willing to ante up for
professional features.

I added "Phones with high-quality built in audio" as 179a on page 78 of
the document <https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6gtto$iqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32472&group=comp.mobile.android#32472

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 14:21:58 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 23 May 2022 21:21 UTC

On 5/23/2022 9:48 AM, VanguardLH wrote:

<snip>

> Just an example: How are you going to get the big bass sound possible
> from a Bluetooth-attached speaker from that picyune speaker inside the
> phone?

You won't, but that said, some phones are much better than others when
it comes to sound from the built-in speakers.

To begin with, you want to look for phones with dual front-facing
speakers, not with one speaker at the bottom. Not a lot of phones sold
in the U.S. have that so it's easy to narrow down the choices. The best
two are probably the Asus ROG 5s and the Sony Xperia 1 III; these are
very expensive, enthusiast phones (though really they aren't more
expensive than flagship phones from Apple or Samsung). Also, they both
still have headphone jacks.

It'd be nice if Apple and Samsung paid as much attention to audio as
they do to cameras, but of course most users are either using earbuds or
streaming through their car stereo.

When traveling, I've sometimes wished my phones had better quality
speakers for listening to music in the hotel room, or even listening to
audio books at sufficient volume.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<230520221733275828%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32473&group=comp.mobile.android#32473

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 17:33:27 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 23 May 2022 21:33 UTC

In article <t6gtto$iqf$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> It'd be nice if Apple and Samsung paid as much attention to audio as
> they do to cameras,

they do, especially apple, who even offers spatial audio on the built
in speakers.

> but of course most users are either using earbuds or
> streaming through their car stereo.

some do, but definitely not most.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6hb2j$2uu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32475&group=comp.mobile.android#32475

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 18:06:28 -0700
 by: Bob F - Tue, 24 May 2022 01:06 UTC

On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>
> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>
> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>
> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.

Got a BEER GLASS?

https://www.maketecheasier.com/improve-sound-android/

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<gbso8hdesjsb3cr4jiks1236gepj2jl472@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32482&group=comp.mobile.android#32482

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 08:49:48 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 24 May 2022 05:49 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 23 May 2022 18:06:28 -0700, Bob F
<bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
>> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
>> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>>
>> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
>> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>>
>> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>>
>> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
>> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
>> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.
>>

>Got a BEER GLASS?
>
>https://www.maketecheasier.com/improve-sound-android/

That's a good idea. Way back in 1971 when I had a wrist watch with an
alarm, I'd put it in a glass ashtray and it was much louder, enough to
wake me up when traveling.

More answers later.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6i1c6$48r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32485&group=comp.mobile.android#32485

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 07:27:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jz+sc0QvuxBOJea2FI7YHTEdrhE=
 by: Chris - Tue, 24 May 2022 07:27 UTC

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
>> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
>> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>>
>> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
>> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>>
>> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>>
>> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
>> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
>> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.
>>

> Got a BEER GLASS?
>
> https://www.maketecheasier.com/improve-sound-android/

That makes it louder not better.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6i4sa$r24$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32486&group=comp.mobile.android#32486

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 10:26:50 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 24 May 2022 08:26 UTC

Am 23.05.22 um 18:48 schrieb VanguardLH:
> micky wrote:
>
>> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
>> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>>
>> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
>> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>>
>> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>>
>> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
>> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
>> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.
>
> Just an example: How are you going to get the big bass sound possible
> from a Bluetooth-attached speaker from that picyune speaker inside the
> phone?

I think not many in this thread seem to understand the physical
importance of the volume of the speaker system for the quality of the
sound. A cell phone - even a tablet - does not have the form factor for
good quality sound from the speakers.

> "Good" is subjective.

Very much so. The fact that someone can understand a spoken text does
not all mean the sound is good.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6i4vt$r24$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32487&group=comp.mobile.android#32487

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 10:28:45 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 24 May 2022 08:28 UTC

Am 23.05.22 um 19:48 schrieb nospam:
> In article <1h6a5btm9o2q3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
> wrote:
>

>> "Good" is subjective.
>
> actually, it can be measured objectively.

Only a ver tiny little spectrum of what makes sound to good sound.
Cellphones will never have good sound from the speaker(s) for very
simple physical reasons.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<9i8p8ht19mqijk4jd8ne798bfubfd5ec6r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32488&group=comp.mobile.android#32488

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 12:16:05 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 24 May 2022 09:16 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 24 May 2022 07:27:03 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
>>> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
>>> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>>>
>>> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
>>> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>>>
>>> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>>>
>>> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
>>> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
>>> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.
>>>

>> Got a BEER GLASS?
>>
>> https://www.maketecheasier.com/improve-sound-android/
>
>That makes it louder not better.

Louder will help too.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<240520220741435525%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32489&group=comp.mobile.android#32489

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 07:41:43 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 24 May 2022 11:41 UTC

In article <t6i4vt$r24$2@dont-email.me>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> "Good" is subjective.
> >
> > actually, it can be measured objectively.
>
> Only a ver tiny little spectrum of what makes sound to good sound.
> Cellphones will never have good sound from the speaker(s) for very
> simple physical reasons.

some do.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<slrnt8pnsp.2tsc.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32490&group=comp.mobile.android#32490

From: trepidat...@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 24 May 2022 13:37:59 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Tue, 24 May 2022 13:37 UTC

On Tue, 24 May 2022 12:16:05 +0300, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 24 May 2022 07:27:03 -0000 (UTC), Chris
><ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Got a BEER GLASS?
>>>
>>> https://www.maketecheasier.com/improve-sound-android/
>>
>>That makes it louder not better.
>
> Louder will help too.

As someone who wears hearing aids I can attest to the fact that louder
does NOT mean more intelligible.

What I could use is a small window containing synchronized moving lips.

Jonesy

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6ipnr$mss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32492&group=comp.mobile.android#32492

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 15:22:51 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Tue, 24 May 2022 14:22 UTC

On 24/05/2022 14:37, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
> As someone who wears hearing aids I can attest to the fact that louder
> does NOT mean more intelligible.
>
> What I could use is a small window containing synchronized moving lips.
>
> Jonesy

Or even sub-titles!

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6iuvs$1um$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32495&group=comp.mobile.android#32495

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 08:52:27 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 24 May 2022 15:52 UTC

On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>
> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>
> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>
> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.

Another option, for Android, is a USB-C speaker. The advantage over
Bluetooth speakers is that there is no need to charge or power the
speaker separately, USB-C OTG will power the speaker as well as transfer
the audio.

Microsoft has one
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-modern-usb-c-speaker/8x0j3n3xdlp5>
which one reviewer stated that it worked with his Samsung phone, and
according to another review it also works with iPads with USB-C, at
least as a speaker (the microphone may not work).

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<240520221324440344%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32497&group=comp.mobile.android#32497

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 13:24:44 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 24 May 2022 17:24 UTC

In article <t6iuvs$1um$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> Another option, for Android, is a USB-C speaker.

even better is a wireless speaker, eliminating the need for cables and
works for any platform.

they use bluetooth, airplay or direct streaming. some of the more
common models include sonos, nest audio and homepod.

some include a voice assistant, which means a voice command is all
that's needed and making it independent from a phone or computer.
another option is send whatever audio is being played on the phone to
the speaker.

> The advantage over
> Bluetooth speakers is that there is no need to charge or power the
> speaker separately,

in other words, you've never actually used bluetooth speakers.

the portable bluetooth speakers use batteries, and generally sound
worse than what's in a phone. on the other hand, battery life is good,
so this isn't actually an issue when portability is important.

the speakers for home use that use bluetooth (or other protocols)
connect to mains power, or for cars, connect to the vehicle's power.

> Microsoft has one

another product you've never used.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<n5aq8h509g8sg7e82ev7n1duhhqsbfcq5i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32499&group=comp.mobile.android#32499

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 21:53:06 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 24 May 2022 18:53 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 24 May 2022 08:52:27 -0700, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
>> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
>> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>>
>> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
>> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>>
>> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>>
>> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
>> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
>> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.
>
>Another option, for Android, is a USB-C speaker. The advantage over
>Bluetooth speakers is that there is no need to charge or power the
>speaker separately, USB-C OTG will power the speaker as well as transfer
>the audio.
>
>Microsoft has one
><https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-modern-usb-c-speaker/8x0j3n3xdlp5>
>which one reviewer stated that it worked with his Samsung phone, and
>according to another review it also works with iPads with USB-C,

That looks pretty good. Thanks. And it makes me wonder if I can use my
small USB laptop speakers, with a USB-A to USB-C adapter????? They are
about 6" wide and 1.5" high, powered by the laptop, and they work great.
I can hear music well on the other side of the room. But I wouldn't be
using them for the laptop at the same time I wanted to play the phone.

> at
>least as a speaker (the microphone may not work).

When I start talking back to the radio, I'll have bigger needs than a
speaker!

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<2faq8h1df8go3s9hchu67qdtor5r3gfrkg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32500&group=comp.mobile.android#32500

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 21:57:29 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 24 May 2022 18:57 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 24 May 2022 08:52:27 -0700, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>Another option, for Android, is a USB-C speaker. The advantage over
>Bluetooth speakers is that there is no need to charge or power the
>speaker separately, USB-C OTG will power the speaker as well as transfer
>the audio.

This would be a place, would it not?, to buy one of those (complicated?)
"Y-connectors" to keep charging the phone through the usb-c while
playing the sound through the same port.

>Microsoft has one
><https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-modern-usb-c-speaker/8x0j3n3xdlp5>
>which one reviewer stated that it worked with his Samsung phone, and
>according to another review it also works with iPads with USB-C, at
>least as a speaker (the microphone may not work).

Another ad for the same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Certified-Controls-Microphone-Connection/dp/B094YYY9CH/ref=sr_1_3_mod_primary_new

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6jbe2$46p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32501&group=comp.mobile.android#32501

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 12:24:48 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 24 May 2022 19:24 UTC

On 5/24/2022 11:53 AM, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 24 May 2022 08:52:27 -0700, sms
> <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/23/2022 7:30 AM, micky wrote:
>>> Do any cell phones have good sound without using earbuds or bluetooth
>>> speakers, just from the speakers in the phone?
>>>
>>> I'm pleased that with this one I can hear a phone call or radio program,
>>> but it woudl be nice if it sounded more musical, more euphonious.
>>>
>>> Does a second speaker make a big difference?
>>>
>>> The previous phone that was stolen had two speakers at the bottom, but
>>> the next one only had one, even though one was a Redmi Note 4 and this
>>> is a Redmi Note 8, or something like that.
>>
>> Another option, for Android, is a USB-C speaker. The advantage over
>> Bluetooth speakers is that there is no need to charge or power the
>> speaker separately, USB-C OTG will power the speaker as well as transfer
>> the audio.
>>
>> Microsoft has one
>> <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-modern-usb-c-speaker/8x0j3n3xdlp5>
>> which one reviewer stated that it worked with his Samsung phone, and
>> according to another review it also works with iPads with USB-C,
>
> That looks pretty good. Thanks. And it makes me wonder if I can use my
> small USB laptop speakers, with a USB-A to USB-C adapter????? They are
> about 6" wide and 1.5" high, powered by the laptop, and they work great.
> I can hear music well on the other side of the room. But I wouldn't be
> using them for the laptop at the same time I wanted to play the phone.

I plugged my Logitech USB speakers into two Android phones with a USB-C
to USB-A adapter. It works fine, but the volume is not nearly as high as
it is when plugged into my laptop. I don't have one of the USB-C
speakers like the Microsoft device.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6jbtk$678$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32502&group=comp.mobile.android#32502

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 12:33:08 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 24 May 2022 19:33 UTC

On 5/24/2022 11:57 AM, micky wrote:

<snip>

> This would be a place, would it not?, to buy one of those (complicated?)
> "Y-connectors" to keep charging the phone through the usb-c while
> playing the sound through the same port.

True. I would not called those devices "complicated" though. You could
also charge wirelessly if the phone supports it.

<snip>

> Another ad for the same thing:
> https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Certified-Controls-Microphone-Connection/dp/B094YYY9CH/ref=sr_1_3_mod_primary_new

It's a little less expensive at officesupply.com, especially with their
10% off coupon.
<https://www.officesupply.com/technology/peripherals-memory/speakers-headsets/multimedia-speakers/microsoft-modern-speaker-system-black/p1095798.html>.

Re: Phones with better sound, from built-in speakers?

<t6je71$ogq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32503&group=comp.mobile.android#32503

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 22:12:17 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 24 May 2022 20:12 UTC

Am 24.05.22 um 13:41 schrieb nospam:

>>> actually, it can be measured objectively.
>>
>> Only a ver tiny little spectrum of what makes sound to good sound.
>> Cellphones will never have good sound from the speaker(s) for very
>> simple physical reasons.
>
> some do.

Nonsense.

--