From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Mounting an android device
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 06:20:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 May 2022 05:20 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> Can I mount an Android phone to the Windows file system wirelessly, that is
>> without a USB connection?
>
> See recent webDAV threads here or in c.m.android.

In the Android newsgroup the same question was asked where Steve responded
first with FTP, and, in response, I outlined _all_ the known methods we've
tested over the years, so rather than repeat all that effort, I'll paste it
here so not only will the OP benefit from those years of effort testing
every known freeware solution, but so will others on the Windows platform.

sms wrote:

> Mount the phone as network storage
>
> Use an Android FTP app, i.e.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.medhaapps.wififtpserver.pro
>
> See <https://www.guidingtech.com/use-ftp-server-file-transfer-android/>

To be purposefully helpful, below is a summary of tested connections.

For the technically competent, Frank Slootweg and I spent a ton of time
analyzing _all_ the possible networking solutions over Wi-Fi years ago.
a. FTP servers
b. HTTP servers/WebDAV servers
c. SMB/Cifs/Samba clients
d. MTPfs/LibMTP tools
e. KDEConnect tools
f. NitroShare tools
g. Kies tools
h. Vysor/Scrcpy
etc.

An FTP server on Android, as Steve suggested, works reasonably well, where
the two I suggest are "primitive FTP" & "FTP Server (free)".

The problem with FTP servers is that they will allow Windows to connect as
a network storage, as Steve mentioned, but not as a Windows drive letter.

The WebDav servers, on the other hand, do allow the Android phone to be
connected to Windows as a drive letter.

The two WebDAV servers I suggest are "The Olive Tree WebDAV server" and
"BestDAV WebDAV server".
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others who ask for advice.