Usage: fortune -P [-f] -a [xsz] Q: file [rKe9] -v6[+] file1 ...

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: Live-USB

SubjectAuthor
* Live-USBbad sector
`* Re: Live-USBCarlos E. R.
 `* Re: Live-USBbad sector
  `* Re: Live-USBCarlos E. R.
   `* Re: Live-USBbad sector
    `* Re: Live-USBCarlos E.R.
     `* Re: Live-USBbad sector
      `* Re: Live-USBCarlos E.R.
       +- Re: Live-USBbad sector
       `* Re: Live-USBMalcolm
        +- Re: Live-USBCarlos E.R.
        `- Re: Live-USBbad sector

1
Live-USB

<fbmdndXkGt7Esvv8nZ2dnUU7-SvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=315&group=alt.os.linux.suse#315

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: Live-USB
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:58:26 -0400
 by: bad sector - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 00:58 UTC

I created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image but it fails
to boot either my Asus g73 or my AMD deathstar. In normal
boot all I get is the spinning worm, in safe mode it sayz:

[11.411358][ T938] dracut: FATAL: Failed to mount live ISO device
[11.411459][ T938] dracut: Refusing to continue
[11.426765][ T950] dracut: FATAL: Failed to mount live ISO squashfs container
[11.426879][ T950] dracut: Refusing to continue
[11.454040][ T900] dracut: FATAL: Failed to mount live ISO root filesystem
[11.454204][ T900] dracut: Refusing to continue
[12.712146][ T1] reboot: System halted

the dongledrive is a 64 gb Kingston DataTraveler 100G3,
what options or logs can I investigate, and IF it gets going
ist it possibe to install a complete system on a usb-drive
providing it has enough capacity?

Re: Live-USB

<3h7i3ixmom.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=318&group=alt.os.linux.suse#318

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Live-USB
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:30:43 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 05:30 UTC

On 13/10/2021 02.58, bad sector wrote:

> I created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image but it fails

How exactly did you create it?

> the dongledrive is a 64 gb Kingston DataTraveler 100G3,

Why that big? For "created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image" 8GB
is ample enough.

> what options or logs can I investigate, and IF it gets going
> ist it possibe to install a complete system on a usb-drive
> providing it has enough capacity?

"Install a complete system on an USB drive" is completely different than
"create a LIVE-USB with the latest TW image".

Please explain which procedure you want.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Live-USB

<ZPadnSahgsEXz_r8nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=319&group=alt.os.linux.suse#319

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:41:27 -0400
 by: bad sector - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 21:41 UTC

On 10/13/21 1:30 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 13/10/2021 02.58, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> I created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image but it fails
>
> How exactly did you create it?

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick
dd if=/path/tw.iso of=/dev/sd<X> bs=4M status=progress && sync

>> the dongledrive is a 64 gb Kingston DataTraveler 100G3,
>
> Why that big? For "created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image" 8GB
> is ample enough.

They're the only ones I have

>> what options or logs can I investigate, and IF it gets going
>> ist it possibe to install a complete system on a usb-drive
>> providing it has enough capacity?
>
> "Install a complete system on an USB drive" is completely different than
> "create a LIVE-USB with the latest TW image".
>
> Please explain which procedure you want.

Already did the the live bit, that I only want to TS

the one I still want is the whole system on usb

my idea was to first test the live-system, then if happy with
the speeds etc. try my whole system. Actually I thought I
might just convert the live one by adding users and all
my own rags, after all it is writable and it is a whole albeit
skinny system, no?

Ideally I'd click the Yast button that says "clone this
system to a bootable usb, space permitting" :-)

Re: Live-USB

<pm3k3ix2vg.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=320&group=alt.os.linux.suse#320

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:37:45 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 22:37 UTC

On 13/10/2021 23.41, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/13/21 1:30 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 13/10/2021 02.58, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> I created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image but it fails
>>
>> How exactly did you create it?
>
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick
> dd if=/path/tw.iso of=/dev/sd<X> bs=4M status=progress && sync

Aha, that is correct.

>>> the dongledrive is a 64 gb Kingston DataTraveler 100G3,
>>
>> Why that big? For "created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image" 8GB
>> is ample enough.
>
> They're the only ones I have

Ah, ok.

>>> what options or logs can I investigate, and IF it gets going
>>> ist it possibe to install a complete system on a usb-drive
>>> providing it has enough capacity?
>>
>> "Install a complete system on an USB drive" is completely different than
>> "create a LIVE-USB with the latest TW image".
>>
>> Please explain which procedure you want.
>
> Already did the the live bit, that I only want to TS

What is TS?

Well, there probably no logs.

> the one I still want is the whole system on usb
>
> my idea was to first test the live-system, then if happy with
> the speeds etc. try my whole system. Actually I thought I
> might just convert the live one by adding users and all
> my own rags, after all it is writable and it is a whole albeit
> skinny system, no?

Ok, the lives are only intended for a brief test and then do the install
(to another disk) or discard, not for actual usage.

Which exact live are you testing? URL, please.

Gnome, KDE, Rescue, XFCE, 64/32 bits? If one doesn't work, try another.

> Ideally I'd click the Yast button that says "clone this
> system to a bootable usb, space permitting" :-)

I've never done that method to install a system. I burn the installation
image, not the live, boot it, tell it to install where I want.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Live-USB

<v6ydndhEt__TifX8nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=321&group=alt.os.linux.suse#321

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:28:12 -0400
 by: bad sector - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:28 UTC

On 10/13/21 6:37 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 13/10/2021 23.41, bad sector wrote:

>>> How exactly did you create it?
>>
>> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick
>> dd if=/path/tw.iso of=/dev/sd<X> bs=4M status=progress && sync
>
> Aha, that is correct.

>>> Why that big? For "created a LIve-USB with the latest TW live image" 8GB
>>> is ample enough.
>>
>> They're the only ones I have
>
> Ah, ok.

>>> "Install a complete system on an USB drive" is completely different than
>>> "create a LIVE-USB with the latest TW image".
>>>
>>> Please explain which procedure you want.
>>
>> Already did the the live bit, that I only want to TS
>
> What is TS?

trouble-shhot
> Well, there probably no logs.
>

>> the one I still want is the whole system on usb
>>
>> my idea was to first test the live-system, then if happy with
>> the speeds etc. try my whole system. Actually I thought I
>> might just convert the live one by adding users and all
>> my own rags, after all it is writable and it is a whole albeit
>> skinny system, no?
>
> Ok, the lives are only intended for a brief test and then do the install
> (to another disk) or discard, not for actual usage.

I see that now, that they're not exactly what the LIve-DVD
images were, those you could actually use to do things with
like comparing sterile configs and such.

> Which exact live are you testing? URL, please.
>
> Gnome, KDE, Rescue, XFCE, 64/32 bits? If one doesn't work, try another.

It was the TW-KDE-x_64, don't they all work?
>> Ideally I'd click the Yast button that says "clone this
>> system to a bootable usb, space permitting" :-)
>
> I've never done that method to install a system. I burn the installation
> image, not the live, boot it, tell it to install where I want.

Who said anything about 'installing'?

I want to clone an existing system to a bootable usb,
I might try an install if there's a usb-install-how2 and
if there is no alternative.

Re: Live-USB

<26qm3i-i2s.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=322&group=alt.os.linux.suse#322

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 01:13:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 23:13 UTC

On 14/10/2021 13.28, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/13/21 6:37 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick
>>> dd if=/path/tw.iso of=/dev/sd<X> bs=4M status=progress && sync
>>
>> Aha, that is correct.

>>> They're the only ones I have
>>
>> Ah, ok.

>>> Already did the the live bit, that I only want to TS
>>
>> What is TS?
>
> trouble-shhot
>
>> Well, there probably no logs.
>>

>>> the one I still want is the whole system on usb
>>>
>>> my idea was to first test the live-system, then if happy with
>>> the speeds etc. try my whole system. Actually I thought I
>>> might just convert the live one by adding users and all
>>> my own rags, after all it is writable and it is a whole albeit
>>> skinny system, no?
>>
>> Ok, the lives are only intended for a brief test and then do the install
>> (to another disk) or discard, not for actual usage.
>
> I see that now, that they're not exactly what the LIve-DVD
> images were, those you could actually use to do things with
> like comparing sterile configs and such.
>

>> Which exact live are you testing? URL, please.
>>
>> Gnome, KDE, Rescue, XFCE, 64/32 bits? If one doesn't work, try another.
>
> It was the TW-KDE-x_64, don't they all work?

Sometimes not. Tumbleweed is tumbling all the time, things are bound to
fail now and then.

>>> Ideally I'd click the Yast button that says "clone this
>>> system to a bootable usb, space permitting" :-)
>>
>> I've never done that method to install a system. I burn the installation
>> image, not the live, boot it, tell it to install where I want.
>
> Who said anything about 'installing'?

You.

«Ideally I'd click the Yast button that says "clone this system to a
bootable usb, space permitting" :-)»

That's installation, I understand. If it is a button in yast on the live
version or the instalation DVD.

> I want to clone an existing system to a bootable usb,
> I might try an install if there's a usb-install-how2 and
> if there is no alternative.

I'm afraind i don't undertand what you are trying to do, and we are like
the cat and the mouse, at crospurposes.

So please explain what it is you want to do.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Live-USB

<E9Wdnb0igbWyI_X8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=323&group=alt.os.linux.suse#323

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 19:32:24 -0400
 by: bad sector - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 23:32 UTC

On 10/14/21 7:13 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 14/10/2021 13.28, bad sector wrote:

>> It was the TW-KDE-x_64, don't they all work?
>
> Sometimes not. Tumbleweed is tumbling all the time, things are bound
> to fail now and then.

But the above are all TW

> That's installation, I understand. If it is a button in yast on the
> live version or the instalation DVD.

dd my TW on hard drive to a usb dongle and make it boot
so that I can remove the hard drive altogether

that isn't installation, it's cloning

Re: Live-USB

<b71n3i-k11.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=324&group=alt.os.linux.suse#324

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 03:13:47 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 01:13 UTC

On 15/10/2021 01.32, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/14/21 7:13 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 14/10/2021 13.28, bad sector wrote:
>
>>> It was the TW-KDE-x_64, don't they all work?
>>
>> Sometimes not. Tumbleweed is tumbling all the time, things are bound
>> to fail now and then.
>
> But the above are all TW

Irrelevant.

>> That's installation, I understand. If it is a button in yast on the
>> live version or the instalation DVD.
>
> dd my TW on hard drive to a usb dongle and make it boot
> so that I can remove the hard drive altogether
>
> that isn't installation, it's cloning

Don't.

Unless it is for backup.

Install directly to usb dongle.

But it is a bad idea, it will self destroy fast.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Live-USB

<Yp6dnbLPIZ8obfX8nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=325&group=alt.os.linux.suse#325

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 23:07:56 -0400
 by: bad sector - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 03:07 UTC

On 10/14/21 9:13 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Install directly to usb dongle.

tried, left the install running all night but it only got to 14% done

> But it is a bad idea, it will self destroy fast.

why?

they seem to handle tons of data no probs

Re: Live-USB

<20211014223957.7c4e0fd4@groveri.homelinux.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=326&group=alt.os.linux.suse#326

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 22:39:57 -0500
 by: Malcolm - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 03:39 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 03:13:47 +0200
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 15/10/2021 01.32, bad sector wrote:

> >> Sometimes not. Tumbleweed is tumbling all the time, things are
> >> bound to fail now and then.
> >
> > But the above are all TW
>
> Irrelevant.
>

> >> That's installation, I understand. If it is a button in yast on the
> >> live version or the instalation DVD.
> >
> > dd my TW on hard drive to a usb dongle and make it boot
> > so that I can remove the hard drive altogether
> >
> > that isn't installation, it's cloning
>
> Don't.
>
> Unless it is for backup.
>
> Install directly to usb dongle.
>
> But it is a bad idea, it will self destroy fast.

Hi
Depends, get something like a SanDisk Extreme Pro (I have a 256GB one)
it's a SSD with a USB interface....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20211012 | GNOME Shell 41.0 | 5.14.9-1-default

Re: Live-USB

<o51o3i-27e.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=327&group=alt.os.linux.suse#327

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:19:04 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:19 UTC

On 15/10/2021 05.39, Malcolm wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 03:13:47 +0200
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> dd my TW on hard drive to a usb dongle and make it boot
>>> so that I can remove the hard drive altogether
>>>
>>> that isn't installation, it's cloning
>>
>> Don't.
>>
>> Unless it is for backup.
>>
>> Install directly to usb dongle.
>>
>> But it is a bad idea, it will self destroy fast.
>>
> Hi
> Depends, get something like a SanDisk Extreme Pro (I have a 256GB one)
> it's a SSD with a USB interface....

If it is a real SSD then it will be expensive. Similar price to an
actual SSD. And it would be real fast on writing.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Live-USB

<I5WdnQkox8Ci4vT8nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=328&group=alt.os.linux.suse#328

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:16:45 -0400
 by: bad sector - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:16 UTC

On 10/14/21 11:39 PM, Malcolm wrote:
> SanDisk Extreme Pro

no shining star by the lookathings:

https://www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/B08GYM5F8G/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar