From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: printing from alpine
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 04:31:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 04:31 UTC

I would like to be able to print to a variety of printers from alpine,
not simply the default printer, but to use the default if nothing else
is specified. As far as I have seen in experiments there is now way of
sending a -P pritnername flag to lpr )or -d printername to lp) Is there
some way of sending various options to lpr without editing .pinerc and
then restarting alpine, only in order to print?

Re: printing from alpine

<98769dc6-1570-72b4-cf20-c8d4a68d9d12@washington.edu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=326&group=comp.mail.pine#326

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: printing from alpine
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:36:35 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 04:36 UTC

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022, William Unruh wrote:

> I would like to be able to print to a variety of printers from alpine,
> not simply the default printer, but to use the default if nothing else
> is specified. As far as I have seen in experiments there is now way of
> sending a -P pritnername flag to lpr )or -d printername to lp) Is there
> some way of sending various options to lpr without editing .pinerc and
> then restarting alpine, only in order to print?

Press M S P to set up the printer. Here is the output in my computer, so
you can see where to set up each part. I hope this helps.

Default printer set to "Bedroom".

Printer attached to IBM PC or compatible, Macintosh
This may not work with all attached printers, and will depend on the
terminal emulation/communications software in use. It is known to work
with Kermit and the latest UW version of NCSA telnet on Macs and PCs,
Versaterm Pro on Macs, and WRQ Reflections on PCs.
Printer: attached-to-ansi
attached-to-ansi-no-formfeed
attached-to-wyse
attached-to-wyse-no-formfeed

Standard UNIX print command
Using this option may require setting your "PRINTER" or "LPDEST"
environment variable using the standard UNIX utilities.
Printer List: "" lpr

Personally selected print command
The text to be printed will be piped into the command given here. The
command is in the 2nd column, the printer name is in the first column. Some
examples are: "prt", "lpr", "lp", or "enscript". The command may be given
with options, for example "enscript -2 -r" or "lpr -Plpacc170". The
commands and options on your system may be different from these examples.
Printer List: "Bedroom" /run/media/echappa/Alpine/scripts/printer
"Print to PS" /run/media/echappa/Alpine/scripts/printer --ps
"Print to PDF" /run/media/echappa/Alpine/scripts/printer --pdf

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Re: printing from alpine

<stqgrc$24j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=327&group=comp.mail.pine#327

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 07:13:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 07:13 UTC

This seems to imply that I have to select the printer to usebeofre hand
in order to set up alpine to use one of a selection. I travel a lot, and
am often at a place where I have to set up a new printer. This seems to
imply that at the new place I also have to set up a printer in alpine as
well.

It would be nice if I could just enter a command
lpr -P home-hp
say, or
lpr -P home-hp-single
lpr -P home-hp-duplex
etc.
instead of having to set it all up beforehand.

On 2022-02-07, Eduardo Chappa <chappa@washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2022, William Unruh wrote:
>
>> I would like to be able to print to a variety of printers from alpine,
>> not simply the default printer, but to use the default if nothing else
>> is specified. As far as I have seen in experiments there is now way of
>> sending a -P pritnername flag to lpr )or -d printername to lp) Is there
>> some way of sending various options to lpr without editing .pinerc and
>> then restarting alpine, only in order to print?
>
> Press M S P to set up the printer. Here is the output in my computer, so
> you can see where to set up each part. I hope this helps.
>
> Default printer set to "Bedroom".
>
> Printer attached to IBM PC or compatible, Macintosh
> This may not work with all attached printers, and will depend on the
> terminal emulation/communications software in use. It is known to work
> with Kermit and the latest UW version of NCSA telnet on Macs and PCs,
> Versaterm Pro on Macs, and WRQ Reflections on PCs.
> Printer: attached-to-ansi
> attached-to-ansi-no-formfeed
> attached-to-wyse
> attached-to-wyse-no-formfeed
>
> Standard UNIX print command
> Using this option may require setting your "PRINTER" or "LPDEST"
> environment variable using the standard UNIX utilities.
> Printer List: "" lpr
>
> Personally selected print command
> The text to be printed will be piped into the command given here. The
> command is in the 2nd column, the printer name is in the first column. Some
> examples are: "prt", "lpr", "lp", or "enscript". The command may be given
> with options, for example "enscript -2 -r" or "lpr -Plpacc170". The
> commands and options on your system may be different from these examples.
> Printer List: "Bedroom" /run/media/echappa/Alpine/scripts/printer
> "Print to PS" /run/media/echappa/Alpine/scripts/printer --ps
> "Print to PDF" /run/media/echappa/Alpine/scripts/printer --pdf

Re: printing from alpine

<53323a7e-51f4-278f-2a72-90e93e7c3c5e@washington.edu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=328&group=comp.mail.pine#328

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 21:44:06 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 04:44 UTC

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022, William Unruh wrote:

> It would be nice if I could just enter a command
> lpr -P home-hp
> say, or
> lpr -P home-hp-single
> lpr -P home-hp-duplex
> etc.
> instead of having to set it all up beforehand.

Press M S C and enable

[X] Print Offers Custom Command Prompt

Does this solve your issue?

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

Re: printing from alpine

<stunr2$tcj$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=329&group=comp.mail.pine#329

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:37:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:37 UTC

On 2022-02-08, Eduardo Chappa <chappa@washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2022, William Unruh wrote:
>
>> It would be nice if I could just enter a command
>> lpr -P home-hp
>> say, or
>> lpr -P home-hp-single
>> lpr -P home-hp-duplex
>> etc.
>> instead of having to set it all up beforehand.
>
> Press M S C and enable
>
> [X] Print Offers Custom Command Prompt
>
> Does this solve your issue?

It seems to. Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right place.