From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Mounting an android device
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 07:06:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 25 May 2022 06:06 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> I'll see if I can dig out the batch file, it was a few years ago, Win7 I think.

Four years ago the three of us, you, me, and Frank Slootweg discussed this
topic but the thread just died without any conclusion.
<https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/TjFmHwVr/what-s-the-best-way-to-forward-smb-tcp-port-445-to-something-higher-than-1024-on-windows#>

Here is an excerpt from Andy Burns at that time on the topic.
---< Below is one post from Andy Burns on the topic >---
> Do you have experience port forwarding SMB ports on Windows?
Yes, when I needed to map a drive over an SSH tunnel.

netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=xxx
listenaddress=192.168.xx.xx connectaddress=192.168.yy.yy connectport=yyy

Because the lanmanserver service starts early and binds to 445 on all
interfaces, you may need to install a virtual kernel NIC driver in order
to get an interface with a "spare" IP address to listen on, it was
available from MS last time I needed it on Win7, not sure about Win10.
---< Above is one post from Andy Burns on the topic >---

And here is an excerpt from Frank Slootweg in response:
---< Below is one post from Frank Slootweg on the topic >---
I re-checked my notes and at the time, I looked at:

'SMB cifs samba file server'
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver>
"Uses Standard port 445 for rooted devices and automatically
selects a suitable port for non-rooted devices."

I didn't proceed with this, for the very reason you are now
investigating, the need to map port 445 to a port number above 1024.

Perhaps 'SMB cifs samba file server' is a candidate for you to
investigate.

---< Above is one post from Frank Slootweg on the topic >---

It looks like I got the SMB _client_ working at that time,
but I was having trouble finding an SMB server that worked.
--
Note that the thread went to hell when the myriad trolls like Rudy Weiser
showed up, where they _subtract_ value every time they post on any topic.