Depends on how you define "always". :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710211647.JAA17957@wall.org>

computers / comp.mobile.android / PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

SubjectAuthor
* PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the betterAndy Burnelli
+* Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plansJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the bettewolfgang kern
| `* Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plansJoerg Lorenz
|  `- Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the bettewolfgang kern
`* Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plansThe Real Bev
 +- Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the betteJerry
 `* Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the bettewasbit
  `- Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the betteAndy Burnelli

1
PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6ln7b$j31$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32527&group=comp.mobile.android#32527

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 17:58:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 25 May 2022 16:58 UTC

Recently The Real Bev asked about "better" email than Google Email where I,
always being helpful and kind hearted, actively looked up Proton Mail to
add value, where this is what I found by way of new information:

*ProtonMail is rebranding and adding a lot more storage to all its plans*
�<https://www.engadget.com/proton-encrypted-email-vpn-calendar-rebrand-103024950.html>

For the privacy conscious, note that ProtonMail, unlike both Apple's mail
and Google's mail, works without needing your phone number or other
personal information, and it works (most of the time) under the Firefox Tor
Browser Bundle.

Here's the blurb which explains the changes which seem for the better...
"Starting today... ProtonMail is rebranding itself simply as Proton,
pushing its whole suite of privacy-focused services and updating all
of its plans...

The company has a new website (proton.me), and both new and existing
users can use the @proton.me address rather than the old @protonmail.com
option if they're so inclined...

Going forward, Proton will offer three plans: Free, Mail Plus and
Unlimited. The new free tier expands storage to 1GB and remains
fairly constrained - you can only send 150 messages per day and
have three labels and folders, for example.

You can also access the basic Proton VPN tool and user Proton Calendar,
though you're limited to only one calendar on this plan.

Proton has long said that since it doesn't serve ads, it relies on
subscriptions for revenue, so it's not too surprising the free plan
is restricted...

If you're new to the Proton world, right now the company has iOS apps
for mail and VPN services, and Android apps for mail, VPN and calendar."

In summary, most free email isn't as "good" as Google Email for storage but
you "can" get "some" email accounts which aren't as "bad" as Google is for
privacy.

Please improve if you own a good heart and/or more extensive knowledge
on the topic of obtaining a "usable" free email account with privacy.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others as they help me.

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6lnol$pgg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32528&group=comp.mobile.android#32528

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans
for the better
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:07:33 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 25 May 2022 17:07 UTC

Am 25.05.22 um 18:58 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
> Recently The Real Bev asked about "better" email than Google Email where I,
> always being helpful and kind hearted, actively looked up Proton Mail to
> add value, where this is what I found by way of new information:
>
> *ProtonMail is rebranding and adding a lot more storage to all its plans*
> ���<https://www.engadget.com/proton-encrypted-email-vpn-calendar-rebrand-103024950.html>
>
> For the privacy conscious, note that ProtonMail, unlike both Apple's mail
> and Google's mail, works without needing your phone number or other
> personal information, and it works (most of the time) under the Firefox Tor
> Browser Bundle.

This is completely OT.
You are a stupid Troll and you do not understand the setup of Protonmail
at all.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6lo6t$116m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32530&group=comp.mobile.android#32530

From: nowh...@nospicedham.never.at (wolfgang kern)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:15:32 +0200
 by: wolfgang kern - Wed, 25 May 2022 17:15 UTC

On 25.05.2022 19:07, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> you do not understand the setup of Protonmail

What do you know about the setup of Proton that nobody else knows?

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6loii$vui$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32531&group=comp.mobile.android#32531

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
for the better
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:21:22 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 25 May 2022 17:21 UTC

Am 25.05.22 um 19:15 schrieb wolfgang kern:
> On 25.05.2022 19:07, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>
>> you do not understand the setup of Protonmail
>
> What do you know about the setup of Proton that nobody else knows?

Another Troll of the worst kind ...

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6mb30$7ft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32532&group=comp.mobile.android#32532

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
for the better
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 15:37:18 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 25 May 2022 22:37 UTC

On 05/25/2022 09:58 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Recently The Real Bev asked about "better" email than Google Email where I,
> always being helpful and kind hearted, actively looked up Proton Mail to
> add value, where this is what I found by way of new information:
>
> *ProtonMail is rebranding and adding a lot more storage to all its plans*
> ���<https://www.engadget.com/proton-encrypted-email-vpn-calendar-rebrand-103024950.html>

> In summary, most free email isn't as "good" as Google Email for storage but
> you "can" get "some" email accounts which aren't as "bad" as Google is for
> privacy.

I set up an account for emergency use in case gmail becomes
problematical May 30.

You have to pay if you want POP/IMAP/SMTP service, but I don't really
need that -- yet. I sucked in my contacts, email (the least I could
select was 30 days worth, which was way too much; I should have deleted
it all at the gmail site before setting up protonmail; good to know in
advance), calendar (which I don't use) and something else that I don't
use and can't remember so now I have 1GB of storage there rather than
whatever the default was.

They really need a DELETE EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING button.

Just want some suspenders in case the belt stops working...

--
Cheers, Bev
Will give investment advice for food.

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6n2q4$1bsn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32540&group=comp.mobile.android#32540

From: nowh...@nospicedham.never.at (wolfgang kern)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 07:22:35 +0200
 by: wolfgang kern - Thu, 26 May 2022 05:22 UTC

On 25.05.2022 19:21, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> Another Troll of the worst kind ...

Again.
What do you know about the setup of Proton that nobody else knows?
If the answer is "nothing" then it's you who is a troll of the worst kind.

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6n368$1fel$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32541&group=comp.mobile.android#32541

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 22:29:03 -0700
 by: Jerry - Thu, 26 May 2022 05:29 UTC

On Wed, 25 May 2022 15:37:18 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> They really need a DELETE EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING button.

I must agree on the delete everything which seems to be a stupid process.

Select each mail individually (which is just plain stupid to have to do).
Then delete with a checkbox the individual emails that you had selected.
Then go to the deleted email folder and check the really delete box.

Cumbersome I agree.
Interesting you noticed.

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6ni0q$uce$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32543&group=comp.mobile.android#32543

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 10:41:39 +0100
 by: wasbit - Thu, 26 May 2022 09:41 UTC

"The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 05/25/2022 09:58 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> Recently The Real Bev asked about "better" email than Google Email where
>> I,
>> always being helpful and kind hearted, actively looked up Proton Mail to
>> add value, where this is what I found by way of new information:
>>
>> *ProtonMail is rebranding and adding a lot more storage to all its
>> plans*
>> ���<https://www.engadget.com/proton-encrypted-email-vpn-calendar-rebrand-103024950.html>
>
>> In summary, most free email isn't as "good" as Google Email for storage
>> but
>> you "can" get "some" email accounts which aren't as "bad" as Google is
>> for
>> privacy.
>
> I set up an account for emergency use in case gmail becomes problematical
> May 30.
>
> You have to pay if you want POP/IMAP/SMTP service, but I don't really need
> that -- yet. I sucked in my contacts, email (the least I could select was
> 30 days worth, which was way too much; I should have deleted it all at
> the gmail site before setting up protonmail; good to know in advance),
> calendar (which I don't use) and something else that I don't use and can't
> remember so now I have 1GB of storage there rather than whatever the
> default was.
>
> They really need a DELETE EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING button.
>
> Just want some suspenders in case the belt stops working...

I posted this in alt.comp.freeware last week.

Tutanota - https://tutanota.com/
Review (July 2021) - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/tutanota-secure-email

Mailfence - https://mailfence.com/
Review (May 2022) - https://restoreprivacy.com/email/reviews/mailfence/

CTemplar - https://ctemplar.com/
Review (Nov 2020) - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ctemplar

I signed up to all of them just to see if it was possible to get a free
account although I have not used any so far.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: PSA for privacy - ProtonMail changed all their email/vpn plans for the better

<t6o4aq$i2p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32544&group=comp.mobile.android#32544

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 15:54:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 26 May 2022 14:54 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> Tutanota - https://tutanota.com/
> Review (July 2021) - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/tutanota-secure-email
>
> Mailfence - https://mailfence.com/
> Review (May 2022) - https://restoreprivacy.com/email/reviews/mailfence/
>
> CTemplar - https://ctemplar.com/
> Review (Nov 2020) - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ctemplar
>
> I signed up to all of them just to see if it was possible to get a free
> account although I have not used any so far.

Thanks for being purposefully helpful by adding to the technical value.

To further add to the technical value of this newsgroup, I tested them.
<https://i.postimg.cc/SNJbw7qD/freemail01.jpg> Test of Tutanota failed
<https://i.postimg.cc/gjj1bm9n/freemail02.jpg> Test of MailFence failed
<https://i.postimg.cc/VsZ3BrMM/freemail03.jpg> Test of CTemplar failed
<https://i.postimg.cc/851qwLtd/freemail04.jpg> Test of Proton failed

While there's really no "privacy" in email given the messages themselves
often can contain personal information, it's still useful to not always
give away your home IP address when using those free email servers.

Hence, given the concept we're fleshing out here is email privacy, I always
log into my Proton mail accounts using a proxy or vpn of some sort, which,
as almost all know, GMail and Apple hate, which makes those two email
services never private (despite their bullshit advertising to the contrary
that the average user actually believes simply "because they said so").

On this newsgroup, we're above believing the advertising bullshit, I hope.

To that end, I already knew that Opera, Epic, and Tor proxies work for
Proton mail, so I wanted to test whether those proxy browsers work for
those three mail servers wasbit kindly and helpfully had suggested.

Since some of them (e.g., Tutanota & CTemplar in particular) go to great
lengths to _hide_ the signup button (obviously so that you read through
their sales pitch, which we don't want to read), signup links are below.

Note that Tor is likely the best anonymity we hoi polloi can easily attain,
the first test is whether they allow you to sign up using the Tor Browser.

Bearing in mind that with Tor you get whatever IP address the tor directory
hands you, I opened up the Mozilla Tor Browser with four tabs, set to each:
1. Tutanota <https://i.postimg.cc/SNJbw7qD/freemail01.jpg>
2. MailFence <https://i.postimg.cc/gjj1bm9n/freemail02.jpg>
<https://mailfence.com/registration/?lg=en&back=1&nextPage=/sw?type=L&state=0&lf=mailfence>
3. CTemplar <https://i.postimg.cc/VsZ3BrMM/freemail03.jpg>
<https://mail.ctemplar.com/create-account?plan=FREE&billing=monthly>
4. Proton <https://i.postimg.cc/851qwLtd/freemail04.jpg>
<https://account.proton.me/signup?plan=free&billing=12&currency=EUR&language=en>

1. Tutanota *Failed*
"Registration is temporarily blocked for your IP address to avoid abuse.
Please try again later or use a different internet connection."

2. MailFence *Failed*
*Requires a Recovery Email Address!*
*Requires Endless Captcha*

3. CTemplar *Failed*
*Notice: CTemplar email service will be shutting down on May 26th 2022*

4. Proton *Failed*
*Requires a Recovery Email Address or SMS!*

I stopped at that point because all four failed the most basic test.
I can try again using a lesser level of anonymity (i.e., Opera & Epic).

To others signing up, realize your IP address (for many of us) _is_ you.
That means you need _something_ to hide your IP address when signing up.
(And of course, when using the email; but you have to sign up first.)
--
https://mailfence.com/registration/?lg=en&back=1&nextPage=%2Fsw%3Ftype%3DL%26state%3D0%26lf%3Dmailfence