From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: PSA: There is now a commercially available supposedly "de googled" phone
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 15:16:50 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 31 May 2022 14:16 UTC

While most of us have already de-googled our phones somewhat, this is an
out of the box commercially available de-googled phone for the masses.

*The Murena One shows exactly how hard it is to de-Google your smartphone*
<https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/31/23144917/murena-one-smartphone-degoogle-android>

As for the eOS operating system...
"The device I'm using is running a forked version of Android 10 based
on Lineage OS, an Android spinoff based on the old CyanogenMod project.

As for GSF...
"It leans on a project called MicroG that's essentially a more private
clone of some of the libraries that Google requires to run its apps,
so you can use apps that require Google Play Services without
actually using Google Play Services."

As for the app store...
"In order to use the App Lounge, though, you have to accept its Terms
of Service, which says right up at the top that you have two options
log in with your Google account or browse the Lounge anonymously
but either way, your app-downloading relationship is mostly with Google.
You're just downloading Play apps in a different-looking store.
The Lounge fetches its information directly from the Play Store
(without telling Google who you are, Murena says) and uses Google
for all forms of payment."

As for online services...
"All your online services live in Murena Cloud instead of on
Google or Microsoft services."

The author was pretty clueless though, as he doesn't appear to comprehend
that NewPipe already exists nor that the Aurora Store already exists.

Why eOS had to build their own messaging app is perplexing because plenty
of google-free gsf-free messaging apps already exist, don't they?

According to that article, the device uses VPN to spoof your location and,
according to the author "It also tries to block trackers in every app you
download and seems to do so pretty successfully."

I'm not sure what a tracker really is... and I wonder if you know either?
<https://i.postimg.cc/L5gnX3GS/linktopc07.jpg> List the trackers
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information.