When I left you, I was but the pupil. Now, I am the master. -- Darth Vader

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Symlink choices

SubjectAuthor
* Symlink choicesRene Lamontagne
`* Re: Symlink choicesJohnny
 `* Re: Symlink choicesRene Lamontagne
  `* Re: Symlink choicesPaul
   `* Re: Symlink choicesRene Lamontagne
    +* Re: Symlink choicesPaul
    |`* Re: Symlink choicesRene Lamontagne
    | `- Re: Symlink choicesPaul
    `* Re: Symlink choiceswicklowham
     `* Re: Symlink choicesRene Lamontagne
      `* Re: Symlink choicesPaul
       `* Re: Symlink choicesPaul
        `- Re: Symlink choicesRene Lamontagne

1
Symlink choices

<jauc9cF8b24U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3267&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3267

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Symlink choices
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 14:53:10 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 19:53 UTC

Running Zorin 16.1 core.

When I open Thunderbird from a desktop symlink it gives me a box with 4
choices.
Execute in a terminal, Show, Cancel, execute, Why?
I only want to execute it, anyway to get rid of this box? Thanks

Rene

Re: Symlink choices

<20220403150844.4441c5da@jmapc.jmacpc.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3268&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3268

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Symlink choices
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 15:08:44 -0500
 by: Johnny - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 20:08 UTC

On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 14:53:10 -0500
Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Running Zorin 16.1 core.
>
> When I open Thunderbird from a desktop symlink it gives me a box with
> 4 choices.
> Execute in a terminal, Show, Cancel, execute, Why?
> I only want to execute it, anyway to get rid of this box? Thanks
>
> Rene

From what I read a symlink is a shortcut to a program. Maybe that's
why you get the different choices of what to do with it.

If you right click on the desktop do you get a menu that says Create
Launcher?

That's what I use. Put thunderbird in he name of the launcher, click
on create launcher for Thunderbird.

Re: Symlink choices

<jaug8dF91rsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3269&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3269

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:01:01 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 21:01 UTC

On 2022-04-03 3:08 p.m., Johnny wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 14:53:10 -0500
> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Running Zorin 16.1 core.
>>
>> When I open Thunderbird from a desktop symlink it gives me a box with
>> 4 choices.
>> Execute in a terminal, Show, Cancel, execute, Why?
>> I only want to execute it, anyway to get rid of this box? Thanks
>>
>> Rene
>
> From what I read a symlink is a shortcut to a program. Maybe that's
> why you get the different choices of what to do with it.
>
> If you right click on the desktop do you get a menu that says Create
> Launcher?
>
> That's what I use. Put thunderbird in he name of the launcher, click
> on create launcher for Thunderbird.

No, unfortunately Zorin does not seem to have the launcher feature.
Bummer. :-(

Rene

Re: Symlink choices

<t2egj8$q67$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3271&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3271

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 06:17:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:17 UTC

On 4/3/2022 5:01 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2022-04-03 3:08 p.m., Johnny wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 14:53:10 -0500
>> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>    Running Zorin 16.1 core.
>>>
>>> When I open Thunderbird from a desktop symlink it gives me a box with
>>> 4 choices.
>>> Execute in a terminal, Show, Cancel, execute, Why?
>>> I only want to execute it, anyway to get rid of this box? Thanks
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>>  From what I read a symlink is a shortcut to a program.  Maybe that's
>> why you get the different choices of what to do with it.
>>
>> If you right click on the desktop do you get a menu that says Create
>> Launcher?
>>
>> That's what I use.  Put thunderbird in he name of the launcher, click
>> on create launcher for Thunderbird.
>>

> No, unfortunately Zorin does not seem to have the launcher feature. Bummer.  :-(
>
> Rene

Look at your Task Bar thingy.

See Firefox down there ? It's pinned.

OK, go to your Thunderbird symlink on the desktop, click it,
select Execute, Thunderbird appears. On the Task Bar thingy, right
click and select Add To Favorites, which is like "Pin" in a sense.

The reason the Thunderbird shortcut does not work as expected,
is because

/usr/bin/thunderbird <=== bash wrapper script
/usr/bin/thunderbird-bin <=== ELF executable, needing some env variables etc

and they go through the script first, before the script calls "thunderbird-bin".
That's the typical launch method for Mozilla products (TBird and Firefox).

It's because /usr/bin/thunderbird is a "text file", as sniffed by "file" command,
that the system prompts you to ask

Open in a text editor to edit this ?
Open in a text editor to display this ?
Execute the script inside ?
Cancel ?

And then you're stuck clicking "Execute".

I cannot find any other linkage mechanism, other than
having Thunderbird pinned to the taskbar. It's as vanilla
as it gets.

Paul

Re: Symlink choices

<jb0bbbFjt3cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3274&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3274

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:49:28 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:49 UTC

On 2022-04-04 5:17 a.m., Paul wrote:
> On 4/3/2022 5:01 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>> On 2022-04-03 3:08 p.m., Johnny wrote:

>>>  From what I read a symlink is a shortcut to a program.  Maybe that's
>>> why you get the different choices of what to do with it.
>>>
>>> If you right click on the desktop do you get a menu that says Create
>>> Launcher?
>>>
>>> That's what I use.  Put thunderbird in he name of the launcher, click
>>> on create launcher for Thunderbird.
>>>

>> No, unfortunately Zorin does not seem to have the launcher feature.
>> Bummer.  :-(
>>
>> Rene
>
> Look at your Task Bar thingy.
>
> See Firefox down there ? It's pinned.
>
> OK, go to your Thunderbird symlink on the desktop, click it,
> select Execute, Thunderbird appears. On the Task Bar thingy, right
> click and select Add To Favorites, which is like "Pin" in a sense.
>
> The reason the Thunderbird shortcut does not work as expected,
> is because
>
>    /usr/bin/thunderbird         <=== bash wrapper script
>    /usr/bin/thunderbird-bin     <=== ELF executable, needing some env
> variables etc
>
> and they go through the script first, before the script calls
> "thunderbird-bin".
> That's the typical launch method for Mozilla products (TBird and Firefox).
>
> It's because /usr/bin/thunderbird is a "text file", as sniffed by "file"
> command,
> that the system prompts you to ask
>
>    Open in a text editor to edit this ?
>    Open in a text editor to display this ?
>    Execute the script inside ?
>    Cancel ?
>
> And then you're stuck clicking "Execute".
>
> I cannot find any other linkage mechanism, other than
> having Thunderbird pinned to the taskbar. It's as vanilla
> as it gets.
>
>    Paul

All it shows me is,

open windows (greyed out)
The current newsgroup

Quit.

I am beginning to wonder about this Zorin thing, seems to lack too many
features, I wonder where favorites are hidden, maybe I can do something
there if I can find it.

Rene

Re: Symlink choices

<t2fiig$n9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3275&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3275

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:56:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:56 UTC

On 4/4/2022 9:49 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2022-04-04 5:17 a.m., Paul wrote:

>>> No, unfortunately Zorin does not seem to have the launcher feature. Bummer.  :-(
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>> Look at your Task Bar thingy.
>>
>> See Firefox down there ? It's pinned.
>>
>> OK, go to your Thunderbird symlink on the desktop, click it,
>> select Execute, Thunderbird appears. On the Task Bar thingy, right
>> click and select Add To Favorites, which is like "Pin" in a sense.
>>
>> The reason the Thunderbird shortcut does not work as expected,
>> is because
>>
>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird         <=== bash wrapper script
>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird-bin     <=== ELF executable, needing some env variables etc
>>
>> and they go through the script first, before the script calls "thunderbird-bin".
>> That's the typical launch method for Mozilla products (TBird and Firefox).
>>
>> It's because /usr/bin/thunderbird is a "text file", as sniffed by "file" command,
>> that the system prompts you to ask
>>
>>     Open in a text editor to edit this ?
>>     Open in a text editor to display this ?
>>     Execute the script inside ?
>>     Cancel ?
>>
>> And then you're stuck clicking "Execute".
>>
>> I cannot find any other linkage mechanism, other than
>> having Thunderbird pinned to the taskbar. It's as vanilla
>> as it gets.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> All it shows me is,
>
> open windows (greyed out)
> The current newsgroup
>
> Quit.
>
> I am beginning to wonder about this Zorin thing, seems to lack too many features, I wonder where favorites are hidden, maybe I can do something there if I can find it.
>
> Rene

Start the program running, while it has the icon on the
Taskbar, select "Add to Favorites" using the right-click menu.

And isn't this just something like Gnome 3 ?

I think that's why it's missing a few features.

I couldn't find any .desktop files, so I assume
there aren't any.

If you have a Thunderbird profile on another OS,
copy the profile to your Zorin setup, edit the
profiles.ini in whatever passes for Thunderbird
storage, and make it point to your profile-copy.
I have a 1GB folder I move about for such purpose,
and I keep it in a folder where "I can see it", rather
than stored in a regular location. The profile.ini
allows "relative path" usage or "absolute path" usage,
and I just give it an absolute path to my preferred
storage location.

I like to be able to see it, so I can do backups.

I got a new disk yesterday (what a pain in the ass),
so I have a place for some fun now.

Paul

Re: Symlink choices

<jb11iaFo39vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3276&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3276

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:08:42 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 20:08 UTC

On 2022-04-04 2:56 p.m., Paul wrote:
> On 4/4/2022 9:49 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> Look at your Task Bar thingy.
>>>
>>> See Firefox down there ? It's pinned.
>>>
>>> OK, go to your Thunderbird symlink on the desktop, click it,
>>> select Execute, Thunderbird appears. On the Task Bar thingy, right
>>> click and select Add To Favorites, which is like "Pin" in a sense.
>>>
>>> The reason the Thunderbird shortcut does not work as expected,
>>> is because
>>>
>>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird         <=== bash wrapper script
>>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird-bin     <=== ELF executable, needing some
>>> env variables etc
>>>
>>> and they go through the script first, before the script calls
>>> "thunderbird-bin".
>>> That's the typical launch method for Mozilla products (TBird and
>>> Firefox).
>>>
>>> It's because /usr/bin/thunderbird is a "text file", as sniffed by
>>> "file" command,
>>> that the system prompts you to ask
>>>
>>>     Open in a text editor to edit this ?
>>>     Open in a text editor to display this ?
>>>     Execute the script inside ?
>>>     Cancel ?
>>>
>>> And then you're stuck clicking "Execute".
>>>
>>> I cannot find any other linkage mechanism, other than
>>> having Thunderbird pinned to the taskbar. It's as vanilla
>>> as it gets.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> All it shows me is,
>>
>> open windows (greyed out)
>> The current newsgroup
>>
>> Quit.
>>
>> I am beginning to wonder about this Zorin thing, seems to lack too
>> many features, I wonder where favorites are hidden, maybe I can do
>> something there if I can find it.
>>
>> Rene
>
> Start the program running, while it has the icon on the
> Taskbar, select "Add to Favorites" using the right-click menu.
>
> And isn't this just something like Gnome 3 ?
>
> I think that's why it's missing a few features.
>
> I couldn't find any .desktop files, so I assume
> there aren't any.
>
> If you have a Thunderbird profile on another OS,
> copy the profile to your Zorin setup, edit the
> profiles.ini in whatever passes for Thunderbird
> storage, and make it point to your profile-copy.
> I have a 1GB folder I move about for such purpose,
> and I keep it in a folder where "I can see it", rather
> than stored in a regular location. The profile.ini
> allows "relative path" usage or "absolute path" usage,
> and I just give it an absolute path to my preferred
> storage location.
>
> I like to be able to see it, so I can do backups.
>
> I got a new disk yesterday (what a pain in the ass),
> so I have a place for some fun now.
>
>    Paul

Thanks, I will just use it as is for now, it's not a big deal.

BUT if Zorin screws me around much more it will join the other has been
distros down the drain and I will go back to Mint or MXLinux.

Rene

Re: Symlink choices

<t2h0da$b3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3277&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3277

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 08:59:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:59 UTC

On 4/4/2022 4:08 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Thanks, I will just use it as is for now, it's not a big deal.
>
> BUT if Zorin screws me around much more it will join the other has been distros  down the drain and I will go back to Mint or MXLinux.
>
> Rene

It turns out, the Package Manager file manifest, does include
a "thunderbird.desktop" file, but placing it in the expected
place, does nothing in Zorin Gnome3. It might do something
in another DE. I don't know if Zorin is considered a "multi-DE"
setup or not, because the package list does have some amount
of KDE material. Some Distros, at login time, there can be
a "list of DEs", you select one and enter your password. All
it costs is disk space.

You have to be careful when playing with stuff like that,
because LightDM might cause problems getting logged back into
the desktop at boot time. So while the concept might seem like
fun, LightDM can cause hair loss.

But I think most of the Synaptic package content is just copied from
Ubuntu, without manpower-intensive "tidying".

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/02YTTNnS/tb-zorin16.gif

You can see in Package Manager at the bottom of that picture,
that I've selected to install the TB package, plus a language
file lower down in the list. I think it installed "EN" on
its own, but "EN-US" might have been added by me. These
could be related to spell-check, but I'm not sure.

*******

Remember, that at heart, Thunderbird is really a copy of Firefox,
and XUL.so or similar is a "rendering engine". The TB screen is
HTML/JS/XML style material fed to a rendering engine, to draw the
window for Thunderbird. Some rendering failures are caused by
engine issues.

A package I was playing with a couple days ago, was a similar
concept. The developer used a "Chrome Engine" for a desktop
application window. Surely, overkill. Like driving nails with
a hydraulic press.

Paul

Re: Symlink choices

<t2h8cb$ui8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3278&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3278

From: wicklowh...@rfburns.eu (wicklowham)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:15:23 +0100
 by: wicklowham - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:15 UTC

On 04/04/2022 14:49, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2022-04-04 5:17 a.m., Paul wrote:

>>> No, unfortunately Zorin does not seem to have the launcher feature.
>>> Bummer.  :-(
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>> Look at your Task Bar thingy.
>>
>> See Firefox down there ? It's pinned.
>>
>> OK, go to your Thunderbird symlink on the desktop, click it,
>> select Execute, Thunderbird appears. On the Task Bar thingy, right
>> click and select Add To Favorites, which is like "Pin" in a sense.
>>
>> The reason the Thunderbird shortcut does not work as expected,
>> is because
>>
>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird         <=== bash wrapper script
>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird-bin     <=== ELF executable, needing some env
>> variables etc
>>
>> and they go through the script first, before the script calls
>> "thunderbird-bin".
>> That's the typical launch method for Mozilla products (TBird and
>> Firefox).
>>
>> It's because /usr/bin/thunderbird is a "text file", as sniffed by
>> "file" command,
>> that the system prompts you to ask
>>
>>     Open in a text editor to edit this ?
>>     Open in a text editor to display this ?
>>     Execute the script inside ?
>>     Cancel ?
>>
>> And then you're stuck clicking "Execute".
>>
>> I cannot find any other linkage mechanism, other than
>> having Thunderbird pinned to the taskbar. It's as vanilla
>> as it gets.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> All it shows me is,
>
> open windows (greyed out)
> The current newsgroup
>
> Quit.
>
> I am beginning to wonder about this Zorin thing, seems to lack too many
> features, I wonder where favorites are hidden, maybe I can do something
> there if I can find it.
>
> Rene
========
By using the Zorin OS 16 Core version and installing apps via the
command line it will be like Linux Mint.
I do have Zorin 16.1 Pro on a USB installation stick , but this version
is too customised. I prefer the FREEDOM of Linux
Zorin OS is meant for users migrating from M$oft Windows , expecting
Windows like system behaviour.

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

Re: Symlink choices

<jb4dk7Fd9coU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3279&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3279

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 21:52:55 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 02:52 UTC

On 2022-04-05 6:15 a.m., wicklowham wrote:
> On 04/04/2022 14:49, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> Look at your Task Bar thingy.
>>>
>>> See Firefox down there ? It's pinned.
>>>
>>> OK, go to your Thunderbird symlink on the desktop, click it,
>>> select Execute, Thunderbird appears. On the Task Bar thingy, right
>>> click and select Add To Favorites, which is like "Pin" in a sense.
>>>
>>> The reason the Thunderbird shortcut does not work as expected,
>>> is because
>>>
>>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird         <=== bash wrapper script
>>>     /usr/bin/thunderbird-bin     <=== ELF executable, needing some
>>> env variables etc
>>>
>>> and they go through the script first, before the script calls
>>> "thunderbird-bin".
>>> That's the typical launch method for Mozilla products (TBird and
>>> Firefox).
>>>
>>> It's because /usr/bin/thunderbird is a "text file", as sniffed by
>>> "file" command,
>>> that the system prompts you to ask
>>>
>>>     Open in a text editor to edit this ?
>>>     Open in a text editor to display this ?
>>>     Execute the script inside ?
>>>     Cancel ?
>>>
>>> And then you're stuck clicking "Execute".
>>>
>>> I cannot find any other linkage mechanism, other than
>>> having Thunderbird pinned to the taskbar. It's as vanilla
>>> as it gets.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> All it shows me is,
>>
>> open windows (greyed out)
>> The current newsgroup
>>
>> Quit.
>>
>> I am beginning to wonder about this Zorin thing, seems to lack too
>> many features, I wonder where favorites are hidden, maybe I can do
>> something there if I can find it.
>>
>> Rene
> ========
> By using the Zorin OS 16 Core version and installing apps via the
> command line it will be like Linux Mint.
> I do have Zorin 16.1 Pro on a USB installation stick , but this version
> is too customised.    I prefer the FREEDOM of Linux
> Zorin OS is meant for users migrating from M$oft Windows , expecting
> Windows like system behaviour.
>
> Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

Today as I was setting up to show Disk drives on bootup Zorin 16.1
crashed big time, No amount of recovering worked tried 3 or 4 times
then said the hell with this nonsense so I deleted it and kicked it
under the bus.

I installed Mint Cinnamon 20.3 and everything is running smoothly.
I really don't like the version 97.xx Thunderbird news and mail program
and would like to reinstall ver 60.9.1 as I have in Windows where all
my addons still work.

So far all my attempts using google help have not bee successful, I
ended up with the 97.xx version, I did find and downloaded the proper
Tar.gb2 file but can't figure out how and where it goes, I know I have
done this before in earlier Mint and Ubuntu installs.
If someone can point me to a good tutorial or give me some pointers I
may get this done yet.
Thanks for any help.

Rene

Re: Symlink choices

<t2jpqe$oa9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3280&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3280

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 06:25:09 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 10:25 UTC

On 4/5/2022 10:52 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Today as I was setting up to show Disk drives on bootup Zorin 16.1 crashed big time,
> No amount of recovering worked tried 3 or 4 times then said the hell with this nonsense
> so  I deleted it and kicked it under the bus.
>
> I installed Mint Cinnamon 20.3  and everything is running smoothly.
> I really don't like the version 97.xx  Thunderbird news and mail program
> and would like to reinstall ver 60.9.1 as I have in Windows where  all my
> addons still work.
>
> So far all my attempts using google help have not bee successful, I ended
> up with the 97.xx version, I did find and downloaded the proper Tar.gb2 file
> but can't  figure out  how and where it goes, I know I have done this before
> in earlier Mint and Ubuntu installs.
>
> If someone can point me to a good tutorial or give me some pointers I may get this done yet.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rene

Some of the materials have been set up to be "portable".

I've seen this in the build trees I've set up here, more
than once.

I'm hopeful this will be "easy".

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/60.9.1/linux-x86_64/en-US/

thunderbird-60.9.1.tar.bz2 48M 05-Nov-2019 19:27

My problem is, the current TB in Mint 20.2 is 91.5 and the one
I will be testing is 60.9.1 . That's going backwards and not
good for conventional migration. Now, my profile is empty in this VM.
I see it looking for this at the moment.

/home/bullwinkle/.thunderbird/hkie1nu5.default-release/search.json.mozlz4

So my first problem was, the little fucker updated before I could
get to the Preferences and disable updates. You'll need to download,
unpack with Archive Manager, then pull network cable before double-click
"Thunderbird" in the unpacked folder. Then it popped up Firefox, and because
the Firefox "X" was not responding, I just purged the VM, just like that.
I could do that, because my trusty backup is sitting there.

It reads /home/bullwinkle/.thunderbird/profiles.ini to find a
pointer to hkie1nu5.default-release folder. And that could be
where my Sent and Draft would be.

If you make the situation go backwards, go from 91.5 to 60.9.1,
then you could lose the memory of your account passwords (auto login).
And have to re-enter the information. That's because a few
of the files for that, have a version number like "cert9"
or the like, and the number is the API version.

If you back up .thunderbird before that happens, then you can
try returning to 91.5 .

And don't forget to disconnect the network cable before running
60.9.1 for the first time, so you can enable the Menu bar (right
click the title bar area and select Menu), find the File:preferences,
and set Updates off.

The release version, relies on the OS to be doing the updates
and does not update itself. The files are owned by Root in
/usr/bin/Thunderbird, whereas /home/rene/Downloads/Thunderbird
folder is owned by you. And the Updater can update it to a version
you did not want.

Hope that gives some idea what fun awaits.

When you do an "ln -s" and put the Thunderbird in the Desktop folder
(if this was Zorin), I think the launching from the Desktop would then
work, because the wrapper scheme is subtly different. The .deb
uses a wrapper, while the portable version does not.

Paul

Re: Symlink choices

<t2ju6o$gmh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3281&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3281

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 07:40:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 11:40 UTC

On 4/6/2022 6:25 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 4/5/2022 10:52 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>
>> Today as I was setting up to show Disk drives on bootup Zorin 16.1 crashed big time,
>> No amount of recovering worked tried 3 or 4 times then said the hell with this nonsense
>> so  I deleted it and kicked it under the bus.
>>
>> I installed Mint Cinnamon 20.3  and everything is running smoothly.
>> I really don't like the version 97.xx  Thunderbird news and mail program
>> and would like to reinstall ver 60.9.1 as I have in Windows where  all my
>> addons still work.
>>
>> So far all my attempts using google help have not bee successful, I ended up with the 97.xx version, I did find and downloaded the proper Tar.gb2 file
>> but can't  figure out  how and where it goes, I know I have done this before
>> in earlier Mint and Ubuntu installs.
>>
>> If someone can point me to a good tutorial or give me some pointers I may get this done yet.
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Rene

OK, so what I discovered is, going backwards, no edits to
profiles.ini in ~/.thunderbird at all, it wouldn't move the
folder backwards to 60.9.1 from the TB90 release. The accounts
would not show in the left pane.

But somehow, after faffing about, I did

cd ~/Downloads/thunderbird # the unpacked portable folder 60.9.1
./thunderbird -p # Bring up profile manager (two profiles offered, one is real)

Then selecting the one that has my News and Mail in it,
it brought the accounts up on the screen like it was supposed to.

This does not mean my logins work necessarily. The profile I
tested with, has "been around the block" and may have artifacts
in it that yours does not.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/nhMGqfxX/mint-with-tbird-minus-p-command.gif

Paul

Re: Symlink choices

<jb69vmFogmhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3282&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3282

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 15:03:00 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:03 UTC

On 2022-04-06 6:40 a.m., Paul wrote:
> On 4/6/2022 6:25 AM, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/5/2022 10:52 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>
>>> Today as I was setting up to show Disk drives on bootup Zorin 16.1
>>> crashed big time,
>>> No amount of recovering worked tried 3 or 4 times then said the hell
>>> with this nonsense
>>> so  I deleted it and kicked it under the bus.
>>>
>>> I installed Mint Cinnamon 20.3  and everything is running smoothly.
>>> I really don't like the version 97.xx  Thunderbird news and mail program
>>> and would like to reinstall ver 60.9.1 as I have in Windows where
>>> all my
>>> addons still work.
>>>
>>> So far all my attempts using google help have not bee successful, I
>>> ended up with the 97.xx version, I did find and downloaded the proper
>>> Tar.gb2 file
>>> but can't  figure out  how and where it goes, I know I have done this
>>> before
>>> in earlier Mint and Ubuntu installs.
>>>
>>> If someone can point me to a good tutorial or give me some pointers I
>>> may get this done yet.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> Rene
>
> OK, so what I discovered is, going backwards, no edits to
> profiles.ini in ~/.thunderbird at all, it wouldn't move the
> folder backwards to 60.9.1 from the TB90 release. The accounts
> would not show in the left pane.
>
> But somehow, after faffing about, I did
>
>    cd ~/Downloads/thunderbird         # the unpacked portable folder
> 60.9.1
>    ./thunderbird -p                   # Bring up profile manager (two
> profiles offered, one is real)
>
> Then selecting the one that has my News and Mail in it,
> it brought the accounts up on the screen like it was supposed to.
>
> This does not mean my logins work necessarily. The profile I
> tested with, has "been around the block" and may have artifacts
> in it that yours does not.
>
>     [Picture]
>
>     https://i.postimg.cc/nhMGqfxX/mint-with-tbird-minus-p-command.gif
>
>   Paul

Thanks Paul, That did the job, I had to recreate a new email and
newsgroup account but that was no big deal.
everything works great and I have it pinned to the desktop and taskbar
and locked down at 60.9.1 so no more updates.
Mint 20.3 is really looking good as a backup to Windows.

Rene