From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 22:48:45 +0300
 by: micky - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 19:48 UTC

I had to change phones, the new phone, an Xioami Redmi Note 8 Pro, does
not work with the car, even though the Samsung A30 worked well.

As soon as I plug the phone into the car, a box at the bottom wants to
know about file transfers, files only, photos, nothing, Cancel.
"Nothing" is checked. Whether I tap it or not, the box disappears in a
second or two and then reappears a couple seconds later, over and over
and over, so much that the phone is afaict worthless when plugged into
the car.

I tried to uninstall Android Auto (to reinstall it) but after I tap
Uninstall twice, it offers me Update, not Install. That seems strange!
Still I coudln't find Android Auto in the display of icons or any list.
How do I know for sure it's not installed anymore?????

-----The problem seems to be that it is time to Update Android Auto, but
when I tap on Update, the circle just spins around the logo and it says
Pending for 10 or 20 minutes until I cancel it. When I do this fr om
the playstore entry on the web, tthe same thing happens on the phone, of
course.

When I went to Help for Android Auto it said to turn Development
Options off (which sounds related since Dev Options is what you need to
transfer files, iirc) and it took me to the right Settings page. I
turned it off, but it didn't help. I restarted the phone. Didn't
help. After that, tapping Android Help took me not to the original
page that described way(s?) to make it work, but to a shortened page
with no info.

This phone is 2 years old but little used, never dropped, and works well
in most other ways, although when I try to use it as a hotspot, it
doesn't connect as readily, and the icons in the systray (Globe when not
connected, rectangle (image of wide screen monitor) when almost
conected, and radiating quarter circles when fully connected) often stop
at the rectangle. Sometimes they never appear and even though it's
working it's always the image of the monitor! That never happened with
Samsung.

Also, the home page and other icon pages of the Samsung had a search
line at the top, to look for an app if I can't find it. This one has
nothing like that. Is that an issue with the Launcher? If I change
launchers is it hard to get the original mone back?

Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.

<3e8i9hp1dfiro5pldls47bo1fe7eugltb4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32699&group=comp.mobile.android#32699

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 23:56:32 +0300
 by: micky - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 20:56 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 02 Jun 2022 22:48:45 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I had to change phones, the new phone, an Xioami Redmi Note 8 Pro, does
>not work with the car, even though the Samsung A30 worked well.
>
>As soon as I plug the phone into the car, a box at the bottom wants to
>know about file transfers, files only, photos, nothing, Cancel.
>"Nothing" is checked. Whether I tap it or not, the box disappears in a
>second or two and then reappears a couple seconds later, over and over
>and over, so much that the phone is afaict worthless when plugged into
>the car.
>
>I tried to uninstall Android Auto (to reinstall it) but after I tap
>Uninstall twice, it offers me Update, not Install. That seems strange!
>Still I coudln't find Android Auto in the display of icons or any list.
>How do I know for sure it's not installed anymore?????
>
>-----The problem seems to be that it is time to Update Android Auto, but
>when I tap on Update, the circle just spins around the logo and it says
>Pending for 10 or 20 minutes until I cancel it. When I do this fr om
>the playstore entry on the web, tthe same thing happens on the phone, of
>course.

So I emptied the Play Store app Cache and it ran for an hour, but
remained Pending.

Another help page said to delete the data, not just the cache. I don't
have any of the personal data in there that they warn you might delete,
so I did it. Now the whole app is gone, at least the icon.

So I'll install it from the web, no problem, right?

When I go to the playstore and search for Google Play Services,
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Google+Play+Services&utm_source=opensearch&c=apps
I get 30 suggestions but none has the same icon as the one that is
missing. You know, the triangle pointing right that is mostly blue with
a yellow tip and green and red triangles for the top and bottom sides.
You can see it in the left suggestion on the 3rd row, but only within
the picture. The icon is much different and it's called Play Store
Update.

So how do I get my play store icon back on my phone?

> When I went to Help for Android Auto it said to turn Development
>Options off (which sounds related since Dev Options is what you need to
>transfer files, iirc) and it took me to the right Settings page. I
>turned it off, but it didn't help. I restarted the phone. Didn't
>help. After that, tapping Android Help took me not to the original
>page that described way(s?) to make it work, but to a shortened page
>with no info.
>
>This phone is 2 years old but little used, never dropped, and works well
>in most other ways, although when I try to use it as a hotspot, it
>doesn't connect as readily, and the icons in the systray (Globe when not
>connected, rectangle (image of wide screen monitor) when almost
>conected, and radiating quarter circles when fully connected) often stop
>at the rectangle. Sometimes they never appear and even though it's
>working it's always the image of the monitor! That never happened with
>Samsung.
>
>Also, the home page and other icon pages of the Samsung had a search
>line at the top, to look for an app if I can't find it. This one has
>nothing like that. Is that an issue with the Launcher? If I change
>launchers is it hard to get the original mone back?

SOLVED, AT LEAST PARTIALLY Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.

<76ki9hpei73lbou7aee466heaprfc9o8af@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32700&group=comp.mobile.android#32700

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: SOLVED, AT LEAST PARTIALLY Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 03:13:08 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 00:13 UTC

SOLVED, at least partly.

The Play store icon showed up at the end of the last page of icons. I
think maybe it was nothing I did that made it reappear, some automatic
Android process maybe, since this icon is so important.

With it I was able to update Android Auto and tomorrow I'll know if that
works.

And then I was able to move the icon from the last page to the first
page, just by very long tapping, moving the icon to the left margin, and
then the pages went by to t he right until the first page appeared and I
could move it to the empty spot where it had been!!!!

So I guess deleting the cache and all the data from Play Store worked,
but it must scare a lot of people, not just me, when the icon
disappears.

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 02 Jun 2022 23:56:32 +0300, micky
> [...]

>>with no info.
>>
>>This phone is 2 years old but little used, never dropped, and works well
>>in most other ways, although when I try to use it as a hotspot, it
>>doesn't connect as readily, and the icons in the systray (Globe when not
>>connected, rectangle (image of wide screen monitor) when almost
>>conected, and radiating quarter circles when fully connected) often stop
>>at the rectangle. Sometimes they never appear and even though it's
>>working it's always the image of the monitor! That never happened with
>>Samsung.
>>
>>Also, the home page and other icon pages of the Samsung had a search
>>line at the top, to look for an app if I can't find it. This one has
>>nothing like that. Is that an issue with the Launcher? If I change
>>launchers is it hard to get the original mone back?

Re: SOLVED, AT LEAST PARTIALLY Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.

<eloj9htgtrma6g401u9thqkn45kki5qhr7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32701&group=comp.mobile.android#32701

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 13:36:26 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 10:36 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 03 Jun 2022 03:13:08 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>SOLVED, at least partly.

Only partly. Android Auto is updated, but it doesn't work any better
with the car. The phone keeps jumping around from the Android Auto
welcome page, which says what you need to do next (or maybe that's a
second stop on its jumping around), to the "Do you want to transfer
files" box, to the previous unrelated phone screen, and then it starts
all over, except the transfer files box appears at different times with
two different choices highlighted.

One of the things it wanted was to bluetooth** pair the phone and the
car. This was automatic with the Samsung, but I unplugged the phone
from the car and tried it. I couldn't find the car in the list of
available bluetooth. But even if the sound is not paired, that's no
reason to jump around

**It uses bluetooth for phone conversations and the cable for other
things.

So I thought, I'll uninstall Android Auto and at least I can charge my
phone while driving. But it still won't uninstall. After I say
Uninstall and confirm, it finishes and shows Update. Not Install. And
when it shows update, it still jumps around and the phone is unusable
when plugged in.

Any ideas what to do next?

<t7d9p0$454$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32702&group=comp.mobile.android#32702

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: SOLVED, AT LEAST PARTIALLY Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged
into car.
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 08:36:00 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:36 UTC

micky wrote:

> So I thought, I'll uninstall Android Auto and at least I can charge
> my phone while driving. But it still won't uninstall.

My phone has no option to uninstall Android Auto, only to disable it. Do
you have a disable button perhaps? If so it may accomplish what you want.

> Any ideas what to do next?

In the past when my phone does things I can't fix I have finally
resorted to the drastic measure of a factory reset. It has always worked
for ME likely because it was likely ME that screwed things up in the
first place.

A recent example is this W10 laptop I'm posting with. I tried the
earphones for the first time in months and they wouldn't work and I
couldn't figure out how to fix them. After some hours I resorted to a
factory reset. Fixed them. Obviously something I messed with had caused
the problem. It was a PITA to reinstall everything but then I've got
lots of time and the earphones sound great... ;)

Re: SOLVED, AT LEAST PARTIALLY Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.

<qbim9hl6fk9r2r16ien7c7ktg2ls56f6ek@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32709&group=comp.mobile.android#32709

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 08:01:45 -0400
 by: legg - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 12:01 UTC

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 08:36:00 -0700, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> So I thought, I'll uninstall Android Auto and at least I can charge
>> my phone while driving. But it still won't uninstall.
>
>My phone has no option to uninstall Android Auto, only to disable it. Do
>you have a disable button perhaps? If so it may accomplish what you want.
>
>> Any ideas what to do next?
>
>In the past when my phone does things I can't fix I have finally
>resorted to the drastic measure of a factory reset. It has always worked
>for ME likely because it was likely ME that screwed things up in the
>first place.
>
>A recent example is this W10 laptop I'm posting with. I tried the
>earphones for the first time in months and they wouldn't work and I
>couldn't figure out how to fix them. After some hours I resorted to a
>factory reset. Fixed them. Obviously something I messed with had caused
>the problem. It was a PITA to reinstall everything but then I've got
>lots of time and the earphones sound great... ;)

Hope it's not the same bozos writing programs for moving machinery.

RL

Re: SOLVED, AT LEAST PARTIALLY Re: Phone goes haywire when plugged into car.

<3v2n9hdnd557tvqs215ci65nafalqmjjif@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32710&group=comp.mobile.android#32710

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 20:02:27 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 17:02 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 3 Jun 2022 08:36:00 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> So I thought, I'll uninstall Android Auto and at least I can charge
>> my phone while driving. But it still won't uninstall.
>
>My phone has no option to uninstall Android Auto, only to disable it. Do
>you have a disable button perhaps? If so it may accomplish what you want.

I don't think I've seen that. I'll look for it if the current plan
doesn't work.

>> Any ideas what to do next?
>
>In the past when my phone does things I can't fix I have finally
>resorted to the drastic measure of a factory reset. It has always worked
>for ME likely because it was likely ME that screwed things up in the
>first place.
>
>A recent example is this W10 laptop I'm posting with. I tried the
>earphones for the first time in months and they wouldn't work and I
>couldn't figure out how to fix them. After some hours I resorted to a
>factory reset. Fixed them. Obviously something I messed with had caused
>the problem. It was a PITA to reinstall everything but then I've got
>lots of time and the earphones sound great... ;)

Yes, that would be a PITA and a pity. I'd have to do some prep first

But I kept googling and found the official Android Auto forum, which you
can get to from the link I gave in the other post,
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/94913396?hl=en

And I'm not the only one with this problem. It can be caused by an
inadequate cable. Bear in mind the cable worked fine with the previous
phone.

So I took every other cable I had, 3 of them including 1 from a drawer
of the guy whose room I'm renting. And tried all of them.

With one it said something like "Short circuit, Turn off car". I didn't
and the message went away in 2 seconds. (Got the same message once
today, so maybe it wasn't the cable.)

Each cable made it do different things!!! The best one was the one I
borrowed from my room, but I already knew it has a broken connector, so
sometimes it worked and a few seconds later it didn't and a few seconds
later, it did. I tried to position it on the passenger seat so the
cord didn't move but still, every bump in the road was enough to change
things.

Today I went to 4 gas stations. 3 different chains. They all sold
usb-A to C cables, but all sold the same brand, and only the one they
thought would please everyone. It was 2 meters long, on the theory a
long one works if you need a short one, but a short one doesn't work if
you need a long one.

The cable-help page
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/2464489?msgid=2464489
"[FAQ] Tips for choosing a compatible USB cable for using Android Auto
If Android Auto has stopped working in your compatible car:
Try replacing your USB cable - that fixes the issue in most cases!"
said to use a cable no more than one meter**, plus I didn't want
something longer. No one sits in the back seat. **OOPS, I misread
that. It says no more than 6 feet. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Today I found a phone store and bought a new cable, 1 meter long,
although something tells me it's the same brand I bought years ago that
I've been using this whole trip, that doesn't work with the new phone.
On the way back to my room it worked a little, but then the phone said
it was overheating and it was going to limit what it did. So I still
don't know. I'm busy now, writing you, but tonight or tomorrow I'll see
if it works.