From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Quick Tutorial: Installing YouTube Vanced on Android from Windows to augment/replace YouTube functionality
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 06:55:16 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 05:55 UTC

Having read about Google's recent "cease & desist" letter to Vanced:
*Google forces YouTube Vanced to shut down due to legal reasons*
<https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/13/22975890/youtube-vanced-app-discontinued-shutting-down-legal-reasons>

I decided to install YouTube Vanced on my Android 12 Samsung phone.
<https://youtubevanced.cc>
Before it's too late. :)

Here are a few representative screenshots of this process & the result:
<https://i.postimg.cc/CMPRMXx1/vanced01.jpg> Download from PC to Android
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZRf5RvZg/vanced02.jpg> Unzip on Windows & install on Android

Note that the process I used combined the technical advantages of Windows
with the underlying Android installation process, as described below.

Some advantages of the seamless combination of Windows & Android is that
you can watch YouTube videos on either platform (or both at the same time)
without ever seeing those annoying ads & without needing a Google account.

To save people time who are new to Vanced stuff, as I am, here's a quick
synopses of what I found just now going to the Vanced canonical site.
<https://vanced-manager.com/>
"What is YouTube Vanced?
YouTube Vanced is a Youtube client that allows you to stream videos
on the famous video website while also providing some extra features.
The most intriguing feature of YouTube Vanced is that it allows you
to listen to your videos in the background, even when your phone's
screen is turned off. That way, you can easily listen to music and
even podcasts on Youtube whenever you want."

That sounded good to me, so here's the process I followed, bearing in mind
that I have never been to the Vanced site before so I fumbled a bit.

1. On Windows, I went to the Vanced Manager canonical site
<https://vanced-manager.com/>
"One of the most common moded YouTube versions is Vanced Manager.
It has a lot of cool features like ad-free, background video replay,
dark themes, and so on. Vanced Manager is a YouTube Vanced Download
Manager program that lets you install MicroG and YouTube Vanced
Apps without using the SAI Installer."

2. On the top bar of the site are the following four useful links:
a. Vanced Manager <https://vanced-manager.com/microg-apk/>
"Vanced manager allows you to quickly install and uninstall vanced
and microg, as well as customize your experience."

b. Vanced Music <https://vanced-manager.com/vanced-music/>
"YouTube Vanced Music is a modded version of the YouTube Music app,
developed by the same team that brought you YouTube Vanced.
The mod enhances the official app with features such as built-in
ad blocking and background playback without pauses."

c. Vanced MicroG <https://vanced-manager.com/microg-apk/>
"MicroG is an open source alternative to Google Play Services
for Android devices. Install Vanced MicroG APK on your android
device to login to YouTube Vanced app with your Google account.
A must needed app for the Vanced users who use services such as
YT Vanced and Vanced Music."

d. NewPipe <https://vanced-manager.com/newpipe-apk/>
"This Could Be the Best Alternative for Team Vanced's Recent
Vanced Edition Creation. Unlike its competitor YouTube Vanced,
this app does not require the installation of an additional app
named MicroG in order to sign into a Google account."

3. On my Windows PC, I pressed the Download Vanced Manager 2.6.0 button
<https://vanced-manager.com/download/manager.zip>
which downloaded "manager.zip" from my PC directly to the Android
filesystem (which is mounted over Wi-Fi as a drive letter onto my PC)
Name: manager.zip
Size: 3355776 bytes (3277 KiB)
SHA256: 50748270ED3939C7992C7393F7EE02CFF0E8BE57CEAAB4C39A502F581999869D

4. I also pressed the MicroG button at the related Vanced MicroG site
<https://vanced-manager.com/microg-apk/>
which downloaded "microg.zip" directly from Windows onto the Android
phone mounted as a Windows drive letter over Wi-Fi.
<https://vanced-manager.com/download/microg.zip>
Name: microg.zip
Size: 5357944 bytes (5232 KiB)
SHA256: B49D65C895C631FEBAD779CF8D834F8EE9DA2FE2E801F5792D13B4DC50779F38

6. After unzipping, the respective APKs showed up directly on Android:
Name: manager.apk
Size: 4509298 bytes (4403 KiB)
SHA256: 89A8E2F21774209B3D8250E3B9E89CCA9D96E1B9312A86E300A651AAB033FDC4

Name: microg.apk
Size: 6186551 bytes (6041 KiB)
SHA256: 8C6E74A0B183E9954C0F4DA150F002DF11AF0661CF21C5635E5672F6D745740E

Note that the MicroG is (apparently) only needed if you want to log into
YouTube with YouTube vanced (AFAICT), as it says this at that web page:
<https://vanced-manager.com/microg-apk/>
"Conclusion
To put it another way, using YouTube Vanced without a Google account
is a chore. So, follow the steps above to download and install MicroG
on your computer. Not to mention that you can use Vanced Manager to
update YouTube and MicroG at any time. Finally, share it with your
YouTube Vanced-using friends' networks."

Here are a few representative screenshots of this process & the result:
<https://i.postimg.cc/CMPRMXx1/vanced01.jpg> Download from PC to Android
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZRf5RvZg/vanced02.jpg> Unzip & install on Android

Note there are plenty of options for FOSS YouTube client replacements:
1. NewPipe <https://newpipe.net/>
2. YouTube Vanced <https://youtubevanced.com/>
3. SkyTube <https://skytube-app.com/>
4. LibreTube <https://libre-tube.github.io/>
And a few other workarounds for just the YouTube advertisement problem.
5. KiwiBrowser Extensions
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-4-1-kiwi-browser-chromium-adblock-caf-night-mode-2021-07-29-active.3797252/post-85396429>
6. AdBlock <https://www.xda-developers.com/block-ads-on-android/>

In summary, this post contains my recent experience today installing
YouTube Vanced from Windows onto Android where I wrote this up and
documented the steps and URLs so that others could accomplish what I just
did, but standing on my shoulders so that it happens more easily for them.

I don't know yet how YouTube Vanced differs from NewPipe, hence, in
addition, if you have been using YouTube Vanced for a while, please do let
the rest of us know what you think of it as I have never needed a YouTube
replacement since I had learned about NewPipe a few years ago.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
with the hope that other kind-hearted adults will add further useful value.