From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Gmail login problem
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:11:46 +0200
 by: Martin - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:11 UTC

First time I tried to login this morning the login failed. I restarted Agent
login OK, but about 12 hours of mail is missing. I checked my mail with my
mobile phone. All the missing mail is there.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Gmail login problem

<fhnh6hpsr0qbsg205l0iagpdbe3ltgq3a9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3280&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3280

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Gmail login problem
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:33:32 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 06:33 UTC

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:11:46 +0200, Martin wrote:

> Subject: Gmail login problem
> First time I tried to login this morning the login failed.

About the Gmail login problem...

Start here: <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6009563>

I trust you are aware that from 30 May 2022 you will not be able to
login to Gmail using your main Google account password in Agent or
in any other email client. (For Agent, you will need to use an
"App Password" instead of your main Google account password.)

REF: <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>

> I restarted Agent
> login OK, but about 12 hours of mail is missing. I checked my mail with my
> mobile phone. All the missing mail is there.

About the missing mail problem...

One factor is whether you are or are not using Gmail's "recent" mode
with POP access.

I presume the mobile phone is using IMAP, but if it is using POP then
that is another factor.

a) If you are *not* using Gmail's "recent" mode then each email can
only be POPped once from Gmail, whether that is trying with two
POP email clients or trying twice with the same POP email client
(like Agent).

b) If you *are* using Gmail's "recent" mode then an email can only
be POPped from Gmail if it is no more than 30 days old.

REF: <https://support.google.com/a/answer/6089246>

Also, if Agent is configured to "Leave messages on server" then that is
yet another factor. The sub-option "Until retrieved at both of my sites"
does not work with many mail servers (it relies on an obsolete and
deprecated feature of old mail servers from over a quarter of a century
ago.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε

Re: Gmail login problem

<ij2q6h5kmbq5um45kf7aqa8831ehbujm8k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3290&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3290

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:38:50 +0200
 by: Martin - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:38 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:33:32 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:11:46 +0200, Martin wrote:
>
>> Subject: Gmail login problem
>> First time I tried to login this morning the login failed.
>
>About the Gmail login problem...
>
>Start here: <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6009563>
>

>I trust you are aware that from 30 May 2022 you will not be able to
>login to Gmail using your main Google account password in Agent or
>in any other email client. (For Agent, you will need to use an
>"App Password" instead of your main Google account password.)
>
>REF: <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>

I am using the recent mode and have been using it for sometime. Until this
incident without any problems.

>> I restarted Agent
>> login OK, but about 12 hours of mail is missing. I checked my mail with my
>> mobile phone. All the missing mail is there.
>
>About the missing mail problem...
>
>One factor is whether you are or are not using Gmail's "recent" mode
>with POP access.

I amusing recent mode.

>I presume the mobile phone is using IMAP, but if it is using POP then
>that is another factor.

I am not sure which mode the phone is using. I have Gmail set up to allow both.

> a) If you are *not* using Gmail's "recent" mode then each email can
> only be POPped once from Gmail, whether that is trying with two
> POP email clients or trying twice with the same POP email client
> (like Agent).
>
> b) If you *are* using Gmail's "recent" mode then an email can only
> be POPped from Gmail if it is no more than 30 days old.

The missing messages were less than 12 hours old.

>REF: <https://support.google.com/a/answer/6089246>
>

>Also, if Agent is configured to "Leave messages on server" then that is
>yet another factor. The sub-option "Until retrieved at both of my sites"
>does not work with many mail servers (it relies on an obsolete and
>deprecated feature of old mail servers from over a quarter of a century
>ago.

I think the missing mail problem was a one off. It hasn't occurred since.

I have an older problem, which started some time ago, before Gmail changed to
the "recent" mode. Using Agent with Gmail, I get not only new mail but also mail
I have received before from the last 4 or 5 days. This only happens with Agent.
It doesn't happen with Thunderbird on a PC and it doesn't happen with my phone
or with my tablet. Both my phone and Google tablet use Android, which use a
Gmail app directly

Thanks for your help!

--

Martin in Zuid Holland