Vax Vobiscum

computers / comp.mobile.android / Replacement battery

SubjectAuthor
* Replacement batteryThe Real Bev
+- Re: Replacement batteryAndy Burnelli
+- Re: Replacement batteryBob F
`* Re: Replacement batteryVanguardLH
 +* Re: Replacement batteryThe Real Bev
 |+* Re: Replacement batteryAllodoxaphobia
 ||`* Re: Replacement batteryJ.B. Wood
 || `* Re: Replacement batteryVanguardLH
 ||  `* Re: Replacement batteryRJH
 ||   +- Re: Replacement batteryVanguardLH
 ||   +* Re: Replacement batterynospam
 ||   |+* Re: Replacement batteryAndy Burnelli
 ||   ||`- Arlen is so dumb (was Re: Replacement batteryAlan
 ||   |`* Re: Replacement batteryJoerg Lorenz
 ||   | `* Re: Replacement batterynospam
 ||   |  `* Re: Replacement batteryAndy Burnelli
 ||   |   `- Re: Replacement batteryAlan
 ||   +- Re: Replacement batteryPiet
 ||   `* Re: Replacement batterySteve Hayes
 ||    +* Re: Replacement batteryJoerg Lorenz
 ||    |`* Re: Replacement batteryThe Real Bev
 ||    | `- Re: Replacement batteryJoerg Lorenz
 ||    `* Re: Replacement batteryPiet
 ||     `- Re: Replacement batteryJoerg Lorenz
 |`- Re: Replacement batterymicky
 `- Re: Replacement batteryYour Name

Pages:12
Replacement battery

<t8b9dj$sin$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32800&group=comp.mobile.android#32800

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Replacement battery
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:33:53 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 00:33 UTC

I've seen the video. The one in my PIxel2 will have to be a lot worse
before I do that, but it's within the realm of possibility. There are a
lot of replacement batteries available, some of which claim to be better
(more MAH) than the original.

Has anyone been really happy ordering a replacement battery? Brand?
Seller?

--
Cheers, Bev
"To turn is to admit defeat." -- Hugh Grierson

Re: Replacement battery

<t8b9sa$1db0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32801&group=comp.mobile.android#32801

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Replacement battery
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 01:42:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 00:42 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> I've seen the video. The one in my PIxel2 will have to be a lot worse
> before I do that, but it's within the realm of possibility. There are a
> lot of replacement batteries available, some of which claim to be better
> (more MAH) than the original.
>
> Has anyone been really happy ordering a replacement battery? Brand?
> Seller?

For years, I kept my Samsung Galaxy S3 alive with new batteries, one of
which was 7200mAH even five or six (or whatever) years ago, when it was
unheard of modifying the puny initial battery size to a larger size.

It was trivial for the Galaxy as all you needed was a new backplate, which
came with the 7.2 Amp Hour battery as did a wall charger which I bought
because at some point my USB port went kaput.

For the handful of LG Stylo 3+ phones I got from Costco for $130 way back
in 2017 Christmas Eve, I also bought a new replacement battery, which the
user is happy with (all I did was pick Amazon and look for an OEM
replacement). As I recall it was around ten bucks.

I've never had a bad battery; but of course my experience is only with
those two phones.

I used Amazon who stands by most of the stuff I buy from them.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8bfre$29q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32803&group=comp.mobile.android#32803

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:23:41 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 02:23 UTC

On 6/14/2022 5:33 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> I've seen the video.  The one in my PIxel2 will have to be a lot worse
> before I do that, but it's within the realm of possibility.  There are a
> lot of replacement batteries available, some of which claim to be better
> (more MAH) than the original.
>
> Has anyone been really happy ordering a replacement battery?  Brand?
> Seller?

I've never had a problem, but my current Galaxy S9 is the first phone I
have had without an easily changed battery. I have had it for a year
after my sister gave it to me, and it is working better than ever after
original firmware, since my PagePlus MVNO uses Verizon.
..

Re: Replacement battery

<ybgrx6819hbg.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32804&group=comp.mobile.android#32804

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 21:38:00 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 02:38 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> I've seen the video.

URL to the video?

Assuming you saw the video at Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pixel+2+replace+battery

finds lots of candidates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKULr67ZZXw
was the first hit in my search at Youtube. That doesn't show an o-ring
running around inside a recess, but looks like that phones uses adhesive
as the seal. Heating up the edges of the phone makes the adhesive more
flexible. The video doesn't address if the sealing adhesive is damaged
when opening the clamshell.

To me, the procedure isn't complicated, just tedious.

There are reasons why batteries became non-user servicable. Larger
batteries could be used, so more up-time. Phones could be made water
resistant. Plus it was guaranteed in about 3 years that users would be
hunting for a new phone replacement since batteries are chemical and
they wear out.

In the past, I've always bought smartphones with user-replaceable
batteries; i.e., you pop open a backplate, pull out the old battery, and
push in a new one, and snap on the backplate. However, they were not
water resistant. Those phones are getting harder to find. Phones with
non-user replaceable batteries are meant to be throwaway phones: when
the battery gets too weak to provide decent up-time, you toss it, and
buy a new one. Planned obsolescence. They want to generate revenue,
and that ain't happening if users keep their old phones that are still
entirely usable to them. I don't replace stuff unless it breaks, or a
replacement provides great bang for the buck. I'm not engrained into
the "newer is better" sales mantra. The only reason I had to ditch my
old flip phone is the carriers quit supporting 2G (and eventually 4G
will get pushed out, so my current phone will become unusable). I'm
still driving a 20-year old car (c.2002), but then I spend a lot in
preventative maintenance and repairs to keep it in great condition which
is cheaper than buying a whole new car, even a "new" used car with
unknown problems and maintenance that I'll have to get fixed.

With a user-replaceable battery phone, I can carry a spare battery (much
smaller than carrying a power pack) to double the up-time. With a
non-user replaceable battery, I'd have to desparately search for a
charging station or outlet to plug in a charger.

> The one in my PIxel2 will have to be a lot worse
> before I do that, but it's within the realm of possibility.

The only tool I remember that I'd have to get is a spludger to pry apart
the halves of the clamshell (phone case). When prying it apart, it can
be difficult to not damage the rubber/vinyl/silicone seal around the
edges, or to stretch it when pulling apart the clamshell halves. Before
I tried to replace a user non-replaceable batteries (you aren't intended
to replace it yourself), I'd see if I could find someone selling a
replacement seal.

There are places you can send your phone to have them replace the
battery. I know I can do a good job, but I'm not sure about the
expertise at some unknown repair shop. You have to ship your phone, so
you won't get it back for a while. They are typically expensive, like
$80 to replace a Pixel2 battery plus the cost of the battery, and you
may have to pay the shipping both ways:

https://new.ubreakifix.com/?device=1252&repair=3820
https://flipsy.com/article/6828/google-pixel-battery-replacement

> There are a lot of replacement batteries available, some of which
> claim to be better (more MAH) than the original.

Since the charging system remains the same in the phone no matter what
battery you install, remember that more mAH means longer to charge. The
discharge rate will differ, so the phone's battery and battery apps may
not accurately judge the discharge rate of the larger battery, or give
an accurate up-time estimate. Also, often the mAH rating is highly
overrated for the non-mfr batteries. How are they going to get more
lithium electrolyte inside the same form factor?

> Has anyone been really happy ordering a replacement battery? Brand?
> Seller?

I stick with batteries that are branded the same as the phone maker.
That is, I get batteries from the phone maker (although they may
contract elsewhere for manufacture, but the plant must comply with the
phone maker's specs). There are lots of counterfeiters, so just because
it looks like a mfr battery doesn't mean it is. There are some online
articles on how to spot counterfeits. The genuine ones usually cost
more.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8bqt0$rlt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32806&group=comp.mobile.android#32806

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:32:14 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 05:32 UTC

On 6/14/22 7:38 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> I've seen the video.
>
> URL to the video?
>
> Assuming you saw the video at Youtube:

Yeah, lots of them. If I were going to do it I'd look at several -- you
never can tell when someone will find a better way to do something.

> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pixel+2+replace+battery
>
> finds lots of candidates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKULr67ZZXw
> was the first hit in my search at Youtube. That doesn't show an o-ring
> running around inside a recess, but looks like that phones uses adhesive
> as the seal. Heating up the edges of the phone makes the adhesive more
> flexible. The video doesn't address if the sealing adhesive is damaged
> when opening the clamshell.

I'd guess it isn't, although the guy warned that it would no longer be
waterproof.

> To me, the procedure isn't complicated, just tedious.

Perhaps. But tiny screws get dropped and disappear down the memory
hole. The power switch on my Lenovo tablet stopped working. I followed
the instructions carefully, but it stopped working again later. Hubby
tried, but dropped one of the screws that held a ribbon cable down. Not
really essential, but still... The problem seems to be that the little
plastic switch-actuator just doesn't push in far enough to actually
switch the switch. Perhaps wear on the plastic, perhaps wear on the
switch itself. I put a piece of thin cellophane between the plastic and
the switch and it worked for a while and then stopped. If I push the
actual switch when the unit is open it always works.

I'd rather have a battery that runs down in 12 hours than create a
mysterious problem that prevents the phone working at all. The Pixel2
came out in 2017. I bought it 2 years ago "refurbished" and it looked
virgin. So the battery is 4 or 5 years old and I shouldn't complain,
right? I killed the battery by charging it overnight while it monitored
my snoring -- which was pretty dumb. Son and hubby bought the same
phone and rarely use it so their batteries have no problems.

> There are reasons why batteries became non-user servicable. Larger
> batteries could be used, so more up-time. Phones could be made water
> resistant. Plus it was guaranteed in about 3 years that users would be
> hunting for a new phone replacement since batteries are chemical and
> they wear out.

I use things until either they die or the new ones are so much better
that I can't stand NOT getting the new(er) one.

> Phones with
> non-user replaceable batteries are meant to be throwaway phones: when
> the battery gets too weak to provide decent up-time, you toss it, and
> buy a new one. Planned obsolescence.

I hate that. It's why we drive Japanese cars now.

> They want to generate revenue,
> and that ain't happening if users keep their old phones that are still
> entirely usable to them. I don't replace stuff unless it breaks, or a
> replacement provides great bang for the buck. I'm not engrained into
> the "newer is better" sales mantra.

It rarely is. Thunderbird 68 has lost some important features that TB
38 had, and the additional speed is no compensation. OTOH, the 2013
Corolla is better in pretty much every way than the 1988 Cadillac that
actually tried to kill me numerous times.

> The only reason I had to ditch my
> old flip phone is the carriers quit supporting 2G (and eventually 4G
> will get pushed out, so my current phone will become unusable). I'm
> still driving a 20-year old car (c.2002), but then I spend a lot in
> preventative maintenance and repairs to keep it in great condition which
> is cheaper than buying a whole new car, even a "new" used car with
> unknown problems and maintenance that I'll have to get fixed.

I bought the Corolla because my kids had ancient Corollas that just kept
running in spite of the thrashing they gave them. I never want to fix a
car again EVER, although I'm willing to replace the wipers, light bulbs
and maybe the cabin air filter. Maybe even the REAL air cleaner next
time -- I impressed my mom by changing hers.
> With a user-replaceable battery phone, I can carry a spare battery (much
> smaller than carrying a power pack) to double the up-time. With a
> non-user replaceable battery, I'd have to desparately search for a
> charging station or outlet to plug in a charger.
>
>> The one in my PIxel2 will have to be a lot worse
>> before I do that, but it's within the realm of possibility.
>
> The only tool I remember that I'd have to get is a spludger to pry apart

A friend gave me a set of nice small torx drivers that came with a green
plastic thing for prying apart cases. Is the technical name for that
thing a spludger?

> the halves of the clamshell (phone case). When prying it apart, it can
> be difficult to not damage the rubber/vinyl/silicone seal around the
> edges, or to stretch it when pulling apart the clamshell halves. Before
> I tried to replace a user non-replaceable batteries (you aren't intended
> to replace it yourself), I'd see if I could find someone selling a
> replacement seal.

If it's glue, I believe that heating it up after putting it back
together would work. Belief.

> There are places you can send your phone to have them replace the
> battery.

We have a lot of cellphone shops that do stuff like that. Frequently
run by middle-easterners. $80 vs $20 for the battery itself. Phone was
$120. OTOH a Pixel 4 or 5 or 6 is a lot more than that.

> I know I can do a good job, but I'm not sure about the
> expertise at some unknown repair shop. You have to ship your phone, so
> you won't get it back for a while. They are typically expensive, like
> $80 to replace a Pixel2 battery plus the cost of the battery, and you
> may have to pay the shipping both ways:

PLUS? The guys didn't mention that.

> https://new.ubreakifix.com/?device=1252&repair=3820
> https://flipsy.com/article/6828/google-pixel-battery-replacement
>
>> There are a lot of replacement batteries available, some of which
>> claim to be better (more MAH) than the original.
>
> Since the charging system remains the same in the phone no matter what
> battery you install, remember that more mAH means longer to charge.

Irrevant. I'm at home most of the time at my computer.

> The
> discharge rate will differ, so the phone's battery and battery apps may
> not accurately judge the discharge rate of the larger battery, or give
> an accurate up-time estimate. Also, often the mAH rating is highly
> overrated for the non-mfr batteries. How are they going to get more
> lithium electrolyte inside the same form factor?

Magic!

>> Has anyone been really happy ordering a replacement battery? Brand?
>> Seller?
>
> I stick with batteries that are branded the same as the phone maker.
> That is, I get batteries from the phone maker (although they may
> contract elsewhere for manufacture, but the plant must comply with the
> phone maker's specs). There are lots of counterfeiters, so just because
> it looks like a mfr battery doesn't mean it is. There are some online
> articles on how to spot counterfeits. The genuine ones usually cost
> more.

OK, there are no miracles. I really like the camera, which is its main
use. The newer ones give you an extra WIDE ANGLE lens, which is
incredibly stupid. It's already wide. I want tele, not wide angle. I
think the newest ones do that, but no way am I paying significant money
for something I've done without for a LONG time!

One thing the stupid phone does -- it will restart sometimes when I take
a photo or receive a call. Something that should wake it up puts it to
sleep! Not often enough to be a problem, just a minor annoyance.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Johnston [Island] was the home of a U.S. chemical weapons disposal

Re: Replacement battery

<slrntajjgn.1bg.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32809&group=comp.mobile.android#32809

From: trepidat...@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 15 Jun 2022 12:18:57 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 12:18 UTC

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:32:14 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> I use things until either they die or the new ones are so much
> much better that I can't stand NOT getting the new(er) one.

+1 !! From vehicles to disposable razors. :-)

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

Re: Replacement battery

<cuojahlsnhhvu8resp1176799aalsbq2l5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32813&group=comp.mobile.android#32813

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 10:06:53 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 14:06 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:32:14 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 6/14/22 7:38 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen the video.
>>
>> URL to the video?
>>
>> Assuming you saw the video at Youtube:
>
>Yeah, lots of them. If I were going to do it I'd look at several -- you
>never can tell when someone will find a better way to do something.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pixel+2+replace+battery
>>
>> finds lots of candidates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKULr67ZZXw
>> was the first hit in my search at Youtube. That doesn't show an o-ring
>> running around inside a recess, but looks like that phones uses adhesive
>> as the seal. Heating up the edges of the phone makes the adhesive more
>> flexible. The video doesn't address if the sealing adhesive is damaged
>> when opening the clamshell.
>
>I'd guess it isn't, although the guy warned that it would no longer be
>waterproof.

One youtube video had one put in some sealant when putting the cover
back on. Don't remember what it was.

I always check before I buy a phone that someone sells a replacement
battery, and of course someone does because they're the same ones used
in the original phone. And there has always been a youtube video about
the specific phone, too.

>> To me, the procedure isn't complicated, just tedious.
>
>Perhaps. But tiny screws get dropped and disappear down the memory
>hole.

Never work on a glass toppped desk or where you have a hardwood floor.
Learned this when I was 14. Glass makes the screws bounce and then
they go in the slots between the floor boards.

>The power switch on my Lenovo tablet stopped working. I followed

Strange.

>the instructions carefully, but it stopped working again later. Hubby
>tried, but dropped one of the screws that held a ribbon cable down. Not
>really essential, but still... The problem seems to be that the little
>plastic switch-actuator just doesn't push in far enough to actually
>switch the switch. Perhaps wear on the plastic, perhaps wear on the
>switch itself. I put a piece of thin cellophane between the plastic and

You need thicker cellophane?

>the switch and it worked for a while and then stopped. If I push the
>actual switch when the unit is open it always works.
>
>I'd rather have a battery that runs down in 12 hours than create a
>mysterious problem that prevents the phone working at all. The Pixel2
>came out in 2017. I bought it 2 years ago "refurbished" and it looked
>virgin. So the battery is 4 or 5 years old and I shouldn't complain,
>right? I killed the battery by charging it overnight while it monitored
>my snoring -- which was pretty dumb. Son and hubby bought the same
>phone and rarely use it so their batteries have no problems.
>
>> There are reasons why batteries became non-user servicable. Larger
>> batteries could be used, so more up-time. Phones could be made water
>> resistant. Plus it was guaranteed in about 3 years that users would be
>> hunting for a new phone replacement since batteries are chemical and
>> they wear out.
>
>I use things until either they die or the new ones are so much better
>that I can't stand NOT getting the new(er) one.

Me too.

>> Phones with
>> non-user replaceable batteries are meant to be throwaway phones: when
>> the battery gets too weak to provide decent up-time, you toss it, and
>> buy a new one. Planned obsolescence.
>
>I hate that. It's why we drive Japanese cars now.
>
>> They want to generate revenue,
>> and that ain't happening if users keep their old phones that are still
>> entirely usable to them. I don't replace stuff unless it breaks, or a
>> replacement provides great bang for the buck. I'm not engrained into
>> the "newer is better" sales mantra.
>
>It rarely is. Thunderbird 68 has lost some important features that TB
>38 had, and the additional speed is no compensation. OTOH, the 2013
>Corolla is better in pretty much every way than the 1988 Cadillac that
>actually tried to kill me numerous times.
>
>> The only reason I had to ditch my
>> old flip phone is the carriers quit supporting 2G (and eventually 4G

I got an email yesterday that no more 3G for me starting July 1.

>> will get pushed out, so my current phone will become unusable). I'm
>> still driving a 20-year old car (c.2002), but then I spend a lot in
>> preventative maintenance and repairs to keep it in great condition which
>> is cheaper than buying a whole new car, even a "new" used car with
>> unknown problems and maintenance that I'll have to get fixed.

Mine's a 2005 and I like it better than the 2021 Citroen I had been
driving.

when I bought it 5 years ago it was very cheap**, and I think it was
because the check engine light was on. I figured I could fix that, and
I did, though it took me 3 1/2 years. **$4000 iirc.

> [...]
>>> Seller?
>>
>> I stick with batteries that are branded the same as the phone maker.
>> That is, I get batteries from the phone maker (although they may
>> contract elsewhere for manufacture, but the plant must comply with the
>> phone maker's specs). There are lots of counterfeiters, so just because
>> it looks like a mfr battery doesn't mean it is. There are some online
>> articles on how to spot counterfeits. The genuine ones usually cost
>> more.
>
>OK, there are no miracles. I really like the camera, which is its main
>use. The newer ones give you an extra WIDE ANGLE lens, which is
>incredibly stupid. It's already wide. I want tele, not wide angle. I
>think the newest ones do that, but no way am I paying significant money
>for something I've done without for a LONG time!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Replacement battery

<t8cqak$1451$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32814&group=comp.mobile.android#32814

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 02:29:01 +1200
 by: Your Name - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 14:29 UTC

On 2022-06-15 14:38:00 +0000, VanguardLH said:

> In the past, I've always bought smartphones with user-replaceable
> batteries; i.e., you pop open a backplate, pull out the old battery, and
> push in a new one, and snap on the backplate. However, they were not
> water resistant. Those phones are getting harder to find.

If I had a choice of two equal phones but one had a user replaceable
battery & the other water resistance, I'd take the replaceable battery.

Mainly for the longevity because sealed batteries are for planned
obsolescence.

Besides, if it gets wet you often can pull the battery and put it in rice
until it dries out which you can't do with a sealed battery phone.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8d50u$cii$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32821&group=comp.mobile.android#32821

From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 12:31:35 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 17:31 UTC

On 6/15/2022 7:18 AM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

>> I use things until either they die or the new ones are so much
>> much better that I can't stand NOT getting the new(er) one.
>
> +1 !! From vehicles to disposable razors. :-)

That's why you want the largest battery that will fit inside the phone.
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

Re: Replacement battery

<1gewqhbg3pgc1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32827&group=comp.mobile.android#32827

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 19:36:22 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 00:36 UTC

J.B. Wood wrote:

> On 6/15/2022 7:18 AM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
>
>>> I use things until either they die or the new ones are so much
>>> much better that I can't stand NOT getting the new(er) one.
>>
>> +1 !! From vehicles to disposable razors. :-)
>
> That's why you want the largest battery that will fit inside the phone.

Or user-serviceable batteries.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8f9ot$1m4q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32830&group=comp.mobile.android#32830

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:04:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:04 UTC

On 16 Jun 2022 at 1:36:22 AM, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> +1 !! From vehicles to disposable razors. :-)
>>
>> That's why you want the largest battery that will fit inside the phone.
>
> Or user-serviceable batteries.

If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd stop
making them with the batteries sealed inside.

Re: Replacement battery

<g403nv1q7iqb$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32832&group=comp.mobile.android#32832

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:48:09 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:48 UTC

RJH wrote:

>>> That's why you want the largest battery that will fit inside the phone.
>>
>> Or user-serviceable batteries.
>
> If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd stop
> making them with the batteries sealed inside.

Alas, the Marketing Dept doesn't always obey sales volume. And Mgmt
sometimes has their own agenda on what the company should sell: someone
made a decision, has to qualify that decision, and hell or high water
it's going to be that way. Could be they want to eliminate support of
phones damaged by water; i.e., they make it look like they're helping
the customer with water-resistant phones, the customers never clamored
that they wanted water resistance, but it's really to reduce their
support or warranty costs. Rather than argue with customers that water
exposure is considered abuse and voids the warranty which reflect
negatively on their corporate image, they give customers something they
didn't ask for. What's good for them must be good for you, right?

Hoping consumers choose to vote by not buying something is a forlorn
hope. If there were no boobs that bought something from spam e-mails or
click on in-page web ads, that mode of advertising would've died long
ago. Only takes a couple boobs to reenergize a spam/ad campaign. Look,
we got one, it works, keep doing it. Plus, it's a minimal manufacture
cost increase that hikes the price of the phone. It's not like you get
a checklist of features of a phone you want, and you can buy that one.
Instead you have to pay the higher price to get a couple features you
want along with tons of features you don't give a gnats fart about.
Look at all the anti-virus software that bloats their feature list by
adding superfluous e-mail scanning.

Re: Replacement battery

<160620220955313966%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32833&group=comp.mobile.android#32833

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:55:31 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:55 UTC

In article <t8f9ot$1m4q$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

> If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd stop
> making them with the batteries sealed inside.

exactly. people prefer thinner and more reliable phones, which they
will replace long before the battery is an issue.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8fe16$1kvq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32835&group=comp.mobile.android#32835

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 15:17:35 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:17 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd stop
>> making them with the batteries sealed inside.
>
> exactly. people prefer thinner and more reliable phones, which they
> will replace long before the battery is an issue.

The main problem with nohspam's argument is that it's dead wrong.

Most modern phones today ship with at least a five amp hour battery.
However, nospam's iPhone is not even close to modern design standards.

Given the fact that _zero_ iPhones ship with a modern battery capacity,
it's almost a certainty that the laughably puny non-user-replaceable iPhone
battery will cause premature iPhone replacement (despite Apple's loud but
completely baseless "claims" to give a shit about the environment).

Nobody lies like Apple lies...

.... and one of those Apple lies are Apple's battery life claims, which,
let's be clear, _zero_ independent battery testing outfits have _ever_ been
able to reproduce!

Yes. Zero.
As in zero independent outfits can glean the battery life that Apple loudly
proclaims their iPhones have in _any_ reasonable battery life test.

In fact, _all_ the independent outfits found Apple _greatly_ lied.
Something like 40% I recall.... but it doesn't matter.

Nobody lies like Apple lies.
And nobody designs obsolescence into a smartphone like Apple does.

To wit: Apple has _never_ put a modern-sized battery in _any_ iPhone ever!

At least Android phones predominantly put modern sized batteries in their
devices (Hell... even my free A32-5G has a five amp hour battery capacity).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
and to combat the bullshit that Apple spews that only idiots will believe.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8fnfm$4dt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32839&group=comp.mobile.android#32839

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 18:58:29 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 16:58 UTC

Am 16.06.22 um 15:55 schrieb nospam:
> In article <t8f9ot$1m4q$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
> wrote:
>

>> If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd stop
>> making them with the batteries sealed inside.
>
> exactly. people prefer thinner and more reliable phones, which they
> will replace long before the battery is an issue.

Completely false. Stupid claim in a world where people stick to their
phones for years because the manufacturers have no groundbraking
inventions for years.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Replacement battery

<160620221425350991%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32843&group=comp.mobile.android#32843

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:25:35 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 18:25 UTC

In article <t8fnfm$4dt$1@dont-email.me>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd stop
> >> making them with the batteries sealed inside.
> >
> > exactly. people prefer thinner and more reliable phones, which they
> > will replace long before the battery is an issue.
>
> Completely false.

it's exactly correct.

> Stupid claim in a world where people stick to their
> phones for years because the manufacturers have no groundbraking
> inventions for years.

how long they keep them is not the issue.

they replace their phones because they want a new one or what they had
was lost or stolen, not because it needs a new battery.

Arlen is so dumb (was Re: Replacement battery

<t8fuld$qrn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32844&group=comp.mobile.android#32844

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Arlen is so dumb (was Re: Replacement battery
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:00:59 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 19:00 UTC

On 2022-06-16 07:17, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd
>>> stop
>>> making them with the batteries sealed inside.
>>
>> exactly. people prefer thinner and more reliable phones, which they
>> will replace long before the battery is an issue.
>
> The main problem with nohspam's argument is that it's dead wrong.
>
> Most modern phones today ship with at least a five amp hour battery.

"Most": so you admit, not all.

> However, nospam's iPhone is not even close to modern design standards.

Whereby you declare some arbitrary spec "modern" and anything not quite
meeting it "obsolete".

> Given the fact that _zero_ iPhones ship with a modern battery capacity,

Supra

> it's almost a certainty that the laughably puny non-user-replaceable
> iPhone battery will cause premature iPhone replacement (despite Apple's
> loud but completely baseless "claims" to give a shit about the
> environment).

What matters is how long the phone can run on battery, surely.

And there are iPhones in the top 10...

....according to tomsguide.com:

'9. iPhone 13 Pro Max (12:16)

This iPhone lasted more than 12 hours on our battery test, particularly
impressive since it features an adaptive display that can ramp up the
6.7-inch screen's refresh rate when your task would benefit from a
fast-refreshing display. That can consume more power, but the iPhone 13
Pro Max's bigger battery and efficient A15 Bionic chipset are up to the
task. We just wish Apple would also boost the charging speed on its
iPhones. Also bear in mind that Apple phones tend to have batteries that
are good at holding their charge over the years. '

<https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html>

"bigger battery and efficient A15 Bionic chipset"

It seems tom's guide understands what you do not:

That what matters is the totality of the battery's capacity and the
energy the phone needs to use.

Also:

"bear in mind that Apple phones tend to have batteries that are good at
holding their charge over the years. "

> Nobody lies like Apple lies...
> ... and one of those Apple lies are Apple's battery life claims, which,
> let's be clear, _zero_ independent battery testing outfits have _ever_
> been able to reproduce!

But no company's claims matches the reality.

Tom's guide gave real world results.

> Yes. Zero.
> As in zero independent outfits can glean the battery life that Apple
> loudly proclaims their iPhones have in _any_ reasonable battery life test.
>
> In fact, _all_ the independent outfits found Apple _greatly_ lied.
> Something like 40% I recall.... but it doesn't matter.
>
> Nobody lies like Apple lies.
> And nobody designs obsolescence into a smartphone like Apple does.
>
> To wit: Apple has _never_ put a modern-sized battery in _any_ iPhone ever!
>
> At least Android phones predominantly put modern sized batteries in
> their devices (Hell... even my free A32-5G has a five amp hour battery
> capacity).

And for that, it gets a shorter battery life than the iPhone I just
showed you:

'Battery life (Hrs:Mins): 11:39 '

<https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/galaxy-a32-5g>

Oops.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8g0p2$6vr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32848&group=comp.mobile.android#32848

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 20:37:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 19:37 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Completely false.
>
> it's exactly correct.

Shockingly, Joerg Lorenz is actually correct, nospam.
Most modern phones come with five amp hour to seven amp hour capacities.

>> Stupid claim in a world where people stick to their
>> phones for years because the manufacturers have no groundbraking
>> inventions for years.
>
> how long they keep them is not the issue.

Think about this...

If Apple actually put in a modern sized battery in the iPhone, they
wouldn't have to lie anymore claiming battery life that isn't there.

Moreover, if Apple didn't put in cheap puny substandard batteries into the
iPhone, they wouldn't have to throttle them so much with software either.

Think about that.

> they replace their phones because they want a new one or what they had
> was lost or stolen, not because it needs a new battery.

I replace a phone when something wears out, which, with these modern
capacity batteries of five to seven amp hours, means it will happen later
rather than sooner (since batteries are a leading cause of obsolescence).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information,
and particularly to counteract the bullshit that the iKooks always spew.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8g11r$85t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32849&group=comp.mobile.android#32849

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:41:47 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 19:41 UTC

On 2022-06-16 12:37, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> Completely false.
>>
>> it's exactly correct.
>
> Shockingly, Joerg Lorenz is actually correct, nospam.
> Most modern phones come with five amp hour to seven amp hour capacities.

"Most" and an irrelevant point.

>>> Stupid claim in a world where people stick to their
>>> phones for years because the manufacturers have no groundbraking
>>> inventions for years.
>>
>> how long they keep them is not the issue.
>
> Think about this...
> If Apple actually put in a modern sized battery in the iPhone, they
> wouldn't have to lie anymore claiming battery life that isn't there.

Apple doesn't lie any more or any less than any other manufacturer.

> Moreover, if Apple didn't put in cheap puny substandard batteries into
> the iPhone, they wouldn't have to throttle them so much with software
> either.
>
> Think about that.

They aren't "cheap puny substandard batteries"

Just ask Tom's Guide.

>> they replace their phones because they want a new one or what they had
>> was lost or stolen, not because it needs a new battery.
>
> I replace a phone when something wears out, which, with these modern
> capacity batteries of five to seven amp hours, means it will happen
> later rather than sooner (since batteries are a leading cause of
> obsolescence).

So you don't bother repairing easily repairable components?

Interesting.

Re: Replacement battery

<t8hf2m$qep$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32866&group=comp.mobile.android#32866

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 10:47:18 +0200
 by: Piet - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:47 UTC

RJH wrote:
> If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries

Then we'd be living in Utopia.

-p

Re: Replacement battery

<31v2bht2qdbj4roq3qst86lrjfpjm91s8h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32927&group=comp.mobile.android#32927

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:08:51 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:08 UTC

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:04:29 -0000 (UTC), RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

>On 16 Jun 2022 at 1:36:22 AM, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>> Or user-serviceable batteries.
>
>If we all bought only phones with user serviceable batteries, they'd stop
>making them with the batteries sealed inside.

I discovered only after I bought my current phone (Samsung), that I
could not replace the battery myself.

If I buy another phone, it won't be a Samsung, unless that has been
changed.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Replacement battery

<t8s16o$h4a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32928&group=comp.mobile.android#32928

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:57:59 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:57 UTC

Am 21.06.22 um 10:08 schrieb Steve Hayes:
> I discovered only after I bought my current phone (Samsung), that I
> could not replace the battery myself.
>
> If I buy another phone, it won't be a Samsung, unless that has been
> changed.

Then your current phone will be your last Samsung. There are not many
models on the market where you can change the battery because today's
phones should be water proof.

Try the Fairphone

https://www.fairphone.com/en/

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Replacement battery

<t8s9ev$1s5a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32929&group=comp.mobile.android#32929

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:18:56 +0200
 by: Piet - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 11:18 UTC

Steve Hayes wrote:
> If I buy another phone, it won't be a Samsung, unless that has been
> changed.

Wait till 2024:
https://hackaday.com/2022/03/30/replaceable-batteries-are-coming-back-to-phones-if-the-eu-gets-its-way/

-p

Re: Replacement battery

<t8smih$n2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32934&group=comp.mobile.android#32934

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 17:02:40 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:02 UTC

Am 21.06.22 um 13:18 schrieb Piet:
> Steve Hayes wrote:
>> If I buy another phone, it won't be a Samsung, unless that has been
>> changed.
>
> Wait till 2024:
> https://hackaday.com/2022/03/30/replaceable-batteries-are-coming-back-to-phones-if-the-eu-gets-its-way/

Let's hope it will really become law. Our planet needs it.
Fairphone is already going in this direction for years now.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Replacement battery

<t8stq1$b2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32941&group=comp.mobile.android#32941

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:06:07 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 17:06 UTC

On 6/21/22 1:57 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 21.06.22 um 10:08 schrieb Steve Hayes:
>> I discovered only after I bought my current phone (Samsung), that I
>> could not replace the battery myself.
>>
>> If I buy another phone, it won't be a Samsung, unless that has been
>> changed.

After having expensive "high-quality" Samsung products fail just out of
the 1-year warranty (big flat-screen TV, for one) or
finally-repaired-just-under-the wire (gas stove took 3 trips to replace
the igniter) I will never buy another Samsung product. If they don't
have enouch pride in their work to offer a warranty longer than 1 year
it's because they know something.

So do I now.

--
Cheers, Bev
"To prove my love for you, I had these flowers killed. Put them