From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Why can't Windows see as deeply as Android in a WebDav-mounted drive?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 04:15:29 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 03:15 UTC

Why can't Windows see as deeply as Android 12 in a WebDav-mounted drive?
<https://i.postimg.cc/zD9P15FX/sdcard11.jpg> OsmAnd~ Windows confirmation
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZK4pNMTx/sdcard12.jpg> OsmAnd~ Android confirmation

The phone is an unrooted Android 12 Samsung Galaxy A32-5G with both an
internal storage card /storage/emulated/0 and an external storage card
/storage/0000-0001 (where the external sdcard was formatted with that
easy-to-remember 0000-0001 identifier years ago using a Windows PC).

In this test just now, Android 12 "X-plore" (a free file manager) can see
where I moved the FOSS OsmAnd~ data files from the internal sdcard to the
external sdcard using this process which is documented on the OsmAnd! site.
<https://www.osmand.net/docs/user/personal/storage#storage-on-sd-card>
1. I updated OsmAnd~ to version 4.1.11 (to get the new storage APIs)
2. OsmAnd~:Settings > OSMAnd settings > Data storage folder >
3. Data storage folder > Migration > Move to the new destination
OLD: External storage 1
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files
NEW: External storage 2
/storage/0000-0001/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files
4. App Restart

Here is that process using the FOSS F-Droid FOSS OsmAnd~ version 4.1.11:
<https://i.postimg.cc/1t8MLYgq/sdcard05.jpg> Update OsmAnd~ to 4.1.11
<https://i.postimg.cc/nr8KNVby/sdcard06.jpg> OsmAnd~ Data storage folder
<https://i.postimg.cc/mrzHRxwB/sdcard07.jpg> OsmAnd~ Move to ext sdcard
<https://i.postimg.cc/vZ1RtXhc/sdcard08.jpg> OsmAnd~ Moved to ext storage

But, for some reason, Windows 10 can't see those same Android 12 files.
*Why can't Windows 10 see what Android 12 file managers can see?*

The Windows drive letter which is the entire Android 12 sdcard, was mounted
over Wi-Fi using the native Windows 10 "NET USE" command, as follows:
C:\> net use Z: \\192.168.1.10@8080\DavWWWRoot /USER:foobar snafu
Where "foobar" is an arbitrary username set up for read/write in the WebDav
server running on Android, and "snafu" is the arbitrary password for it.

Note: The Android 12 phone doesn't have any login account whatsoever & the
Windows 10 PC has a username that is different, & which has no password.

Why is it that the X-plore file manager on Android 12 shows up to (but not
deeper than) /storage/0000-0001/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/ but that the
same external sdcard mounted as a drive letter on Windows 10 only shows
files no deeper than files deeper than /storage/0000-0001/Android/data/ ?

Specifically, what do I need to do on the Windows 10 side (or on the
Android 12 side?) to allow Windows 10 to _see_ as deeply as Android 12 can?
<https://i.postimg.cc/QN6nY1H5/sdcard09.jpg> OsmAnd~ sdcard1/Android/data
<https://i.postimg.cc/dtVcLJTR/sdcard10.jpg> OsmAnd~ data/net.osmand.plus
--
Sometimes on Usenet you can find someone who knows how each platform ties
together such that they can explain how to garner all the power you need.

Re: Why can't Windows see as deeply as Android in a WebDav-mounted drive?

<t8gu7j$178u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32862&group=comp.mobile.android#32862

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 05:00:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 04:00 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> But, for some reason, Windows 10 can't see those same Android 12 files.
> *Why can't Windows 10 see what Android 12 file managers can see?*

I just looked up the Windows 10 adb commands to access the Android 12
filesystem over Wi-Fi using adb and Windows adb can access the files!
<https://techwiser.com/list-adb-commands/>

This is the result which shows that Windows 10 adb over Wi-Fi has no
problem accessing the Android 12 OsmAnd~ external sdcard data files.
<https://i.postimg.cc/tT2H9zjb/sdcard13.jpg> Windows adb reads ext storage

The Windows adb commands I just now used for that screenshot were these:
1. This shows the Android phone is connected over Wi-Fi via tcp.
C:\> adb devices
adb-serialnumber._adb-tls-connect._tcp. device

2. This shows Windows adb can read the internal Android storage over Wi-Fi.
C:\> adb shell ls /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/net.osmand.plus
cache
files
C:\> adb shell ls /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files
tiles
tracks

3. This shows Windows adb can read the external Android storage over Wi-Fi.
C:\> adb shell ls /storage/0000-0001/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files
Us_california_san-francisco_northamerica.obf
World_basemap_mini.obf
backup
favourites.gpx
fonts
ind.cache
itinerary.gpx
regions.ocbf
rendering
roads
routing
sounds
tiles
tracks
travel
voice

Yet, when mounted as a Windows drive letter over Wi-Fi, the Windows file
manager can't access those same data files that adb has no problem reading.

My question is why can Android itself access the Android 12 external sdcard
OsmAnd~ data files via any file manager (e.g., X-plore), and Windows 10 adb
can access those same external storage OsmAnd~ data files over Wi-Fi - but
the Windows 10 native file manager can't access those same OsmAnd~ data
files when the Android external sdcard is mounted as a Windows 10 drive
letter using a WebDav server on Android (with full read/write permissions
set) where the Android phone was mounted onto Windows using this command:
C:\> net use Z: \\192.168.1.10@8080\DavWWWRoot /USER:foobar snafu
Where "foobar" is an arbitrary username set up for read/write in the WebDav
server running on Android, and "snafu" is the arbitrary password for it.

Specifically, what do I need to change to get Windows 10 file manager to
access the files that adb on Windows has no problem accessing over Wi-Fi?
<https://i.postimg.cc/tT2H9zjb/sdcard13.jpg>
--
Most of the time there is a simple answer that solves the stated problem.