From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: FairMail is back on Google Play after June 18th 2022 (with OAuth2 support)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 22:28:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 21:28 UTC

I learned a lot in the recent thread with Frank and Andy trying to help
Martin Trautmann who correctly understood Google changed the way apps call
external data on the external sdcard in Android 11 and beyond.

Luckily the app simply needs to adjust their APIs (AFAICT), which I had
tested with OsmAnd~ on Android 12; but one other thing I just learned was
that FairMail apparently went through a hiccup in the last 30 days.
<https://forum.fairphone.com/t/marcel-bokhorst-calls-it-quits/84970>
<https://tech.slashdot.org/story/22/05/19/2033249/fairemail-developer-calls-it-quits-after-google-falsely-flags-app-as-spyware>
<https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/19/fairemail-developer-calls-it-quits-and-pulls-apps-from-google-play/>
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-5-0-fairemail-fully-featured-open-source-privacy-oriented-email-app.3824168/page-1087#post-86909365>
etc.

From the developer himself, dated "May 18, 2022" on XDA Developers:
"The few euros I receive in return for what's being offered and the
fun of developing things are no compensation for the thousands
of questions I answer every month, for unfair Play store reviews
and for stress about unclear Google requirements."

Again, from the developer himself, this one dated "Saturday June 18, 2022".
"Version 1.1922 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store
test program after Google's approval."
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.email>
<https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases>

Since Google changed the rules on passwords just recently, this section of
the FairMail FAQ on OAuth2 is of relevance to users downloading FairMail.
<https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq111>

OAuth for Gmail is supported via the quick setup wizard. The Android
account manager will be used to fetch and refresh OAuth tokens for selected
on-device accounts. OAuth for non on-device accounts is not supported
because Google requires a yearly security audit ($15,000 to $75,000) for
this.

OAuth for Outlook/Office 365, Yahoo, Mail.ru and Yandex is supported via
the quick setup wizard.

The OAuth jump page exists for when Android App Links are not available,
for example when using a non Play store version of the app, or do not work
for some reason.

OAuth is not supported for third party builds like the F-Droid build.

Since version 1.1859 there is support for custom OAuth. To use custom
OAuth, an XML file containing the server and OAuth data, like the client
secret, should be created and imported. Please see here about how the XML
file should look like. The XML file can be imported via a button in the
debug panel of the miscellaneous settings of the app. To show the debug
panel, debug mode mode should temporarily be enabled. After importing, you
can use the quick setup wizard to configure an account.
--
Anyone who has a google account on their phone doesn't care about privacy.