From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Followups from Agent rejected by news server?
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 15:12:49 -0400
 by: EGK - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:12 UTC

I'm trying to figure out if there is some setting in Agent I need to change.
Every so often I will try to followup in a discussion group and someone has
characters in the subject headers. When I try to post my response, the
server, Eternal September, rejects it.
Like so..

https://i.imgur.com/TVnCUQ7.jpg

In this case someone used the single quote mark like this: 'TV show title'
in the subject header.

As soon as I removed the quote marks the followup went through but is there
some setting in Agent i need that will re-encode whatever original poster is
doing? I don't see anything out of the ordinary in reading the thread.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Re: Followups from Agent rejected by news server?

<o9tg7hhab5t3n805er3eiumg0b4tj0qqo9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3307&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3307

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Followups from Agent rejected by news server?
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 21:59:24 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 9 May 2022 01:59 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 15:12:49 -0400, EGK <memyself@null.net> declaimed the
following:

>In this case someone used the single quote mark like this: 'TV show title'
>in the subject header.

Are you certain they used ASCII apostrophe, and not some "smart quote"
character?

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Followups from Agent rejected by news server?

<1jvg7htacaj7o4qt4l62cb5atg9aj47bo1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3308&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3308

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 22:38:47 -0400
 by: EGK - Mon, 9 May 2022 02:38 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 21:59:24 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 May 2022 15:12:49 -0400, EGK <memyself@null.net> declaimed the
>following:
>

>>In this case someone used the single quote mark like this: 'TV show title'
>>in the subject header.
>>
> Are you certain they used ASCII apostrophe, and not some "smart quote"
>character?

I couldnt tell from the original post but then others said a "smart quote"
character is what it was not ASCII. It was copied from a web post.

Does that mean Agent can't handle it or is there a way to strip those out
automatically?

Re: Followups from Agent rejected by news server?

<egjh7hlf7a1bbe96799oljhu86st6i6t95@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3309&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3309

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 20:45:49 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:45 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 22:38:47 -0400, EGK wrote:
> On Sun, 08 May 2022 21:59:24 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
> <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 15:12:49 -0400, EGK <memyself@null.net> declaimed the
>> following:
>>

>>> In this case someone used the single quote mark like this: 'TV show title'
>>> in the subject header.
>>>
>> Are you certain they used ASCII apostrophe, and not some "smart quote"
>> character?
>
> I couldnt tell from the original post but then others said a "smart quote"
> character is what it was not ASCII. It was copied from a web post.
>
> Does that mean Agent can't handle it or is there a way to strip those out
> automatically?

Neither of those two.
* Agent can handle it.
* Your news server E-S is refusing to accept 8-bit subjects containing
smart quotes, from its own users like you.
* The poster of the original subject with smart quotes might be using
a different news server which does accept 8-bit subjects containing
smart quotes.

To configure Agent to work around your news server's restriction, you
simply need to put a check-mark in the setting shown here:

screen-shot:  <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_1jvg7hta_configure-agent-to-post-mime-subjects-in-place-of-8-bit-subjects.png>

This does not *strip* those smart quotes automatically. What it does
is that when a subject contains 8-bit characters, Agent will post
the subject in RFC2047 MIME encoding (how your news server wants it)
instead of as raw 8-bit characters.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Live each day as if it were your last - but pay the bills just in case it isn't.

Re: Followups from Agent rejected by news server?

<1l2i7h904n6kssubff52h73o18a1bm1qmi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3310&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3310

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 08:39:40 -0400
 by: EGK - Mon, 9 May 2022 12:39 UTC

On Mon, 09 May 2022 20:45:49 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 May 2022 22:38:47 -0400, EGK wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 21:59:24 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
>> <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 15:12:49 -0400, EGK <memyself@null.net> declaimed the
>>> following:

>>> Are you certain they used ASCII apostrophe, and not some "smart quote"
>>> character?
>>
>> I couldnt tell from the original post but then others said a "smart quote"
>> character is what it was not ASCII. It was copied from a web post.
>>
>> Does that mean Agent can't handle it or is there a way to strip those out
>> automatically?
>

>Neither of those two.
> * Agent can handle it.
> * Your news server E-S is refusing to accept 8-bit subjects containing
> smart quotes, from its own users like you.
> * The poster of the original subject with smart quotes might be using
> a different news server which does accept 8-bit subjects containing
> smart quotes.
>

>To configure Agent to work around your news server's restriction, you
>simply need to put a check-mark in the setting shown here:
>
>screen-shot:  <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_1jvg7hta_configure-agent-to-post-mime-subjects-in-place-of-8-bit-subjects.png>
>

>This does not *strip* those smart quotes automatically. What it does
>is that when a subject contains 8-bit characters, Agent will post
>the subject in RFC2047 MIME encoding (how your news server wants it)
>instead of as raw 8-bit characters.

The original poster was also using the same server (Eternal September) so I
assumed his newsreader was doing something that mine wasn't.

I looked for that Agent setting in your picture and it was unchecked so I
checked it and will see how that works.

Thanks very much for the help.

Re: Followups from Agent rejected by news server?

<joko7hlutu3ov22dn1vt24hfv7d9ui65oq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3313&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3313

From: Sh...@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:23:14 -0300
 by: Shadow - Thu, 12 May 2022 00:23 UTC

wrote:

>On Sun, 08 May 2022 22:38:47 -0400, EGK wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 21:59:24 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
>> <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 15:12:49 -0400, EGK <memyself@null.net> declaimed the
>>> following:

>>> Are you certain they used ASCII apostrophe, and not some "smart quote"
>>> character?
>>
>> I couldnt tell from the original post but then others said a "smart quote"
>> character is what it was not ASCII. It was copied from a web post.
>>
>> Does that mean Agent can't handle it or is there a way to strip those out
>> automatically?
>

>Neither of those two.
> * Agent can handle it.
> * Your news server E-S is refusing to accept 8-bit subjects containing
> smart quotes, from its own users like you.
> * The poster of the original subject with smart quotes might be using
> a different news server which does accept 8-bit subjects containing
> smart quotes.
>

>To configure Agent to work around your news server's restriction, you
>simply need to put a check-mark in the setting shown here:
>
>screen-shot:  <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_1jvg7hta_configure-agent-to-post-mime-subjects-in-place-of-8-bit-subjects.png>
>

>This does not *strip* those smart quotes automatically. What it does
>is that when a subject contains 8-bit characters, Agent will post
>the subject in RFC2047 MIME encoding (how your news server wants it)
>instead of as raw 8-bit characters.

Thank you. Solved my problem with aioe and eternal-september.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012